• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Recognized for Excellence in Public Relations

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Maybe you should pay closer attention to the Media Expresso [sic*] chart. Lower equals better.
*BTW, it's not Media Expresso . Anyone who's actually used the software knows it is called MediaEspresso

No matter how you spin it, the charts clearly show how much competitive AMD APUs are against i52500K - the most respected gaming CPU by enthusiast.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
No matter how you spin it, the charts clearly show how much competitive AMD APUs are against i52500K - the most respected gaming CPU by enthusiast.
You're missing the point. If AMD are pinning their hopes on the fraction of the buying public that would buy a 2500K (or similar performing) CPU they are doomed. You can tout the achievements of an A10-6800/-6700 'til the cows come home, but the fact remains that the higher volume A4-A8 lines are the ones that need to make revenue. Far more people are going to spend ~$500 on a laptop than build an A10 desktop or shell out for an A10 powered laptop.

Now, what is the usage pattern for the average user of a ~<$500 laptop? Is it gaming? Are they likely assiduously hunting for OpenCL applications ? Are they likely to pay for MediaEspresso or are they going to use a free program like HandBrake (assuming they transcode at all) ?
You also might note that HandBrake has - with Intel's help- OpenCL support in conjunction with QuickSync , so safe to say that Intel aren't sitting idly by.

Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Case Corsair 200R
You're missing the point. If AMD are pinning their hopes on the fraction of the buying public that would buy a 2500K (or similar performing) CPU they are doomed. You can tout the achievements of an A10-6800/-6700 'til the cows come home, but the fact remains that the higher volume A4-A8 lines are the ones that need to make revenue. Far more people are going to spend ~$500 on a laptop than build an A10 desktop or shell out for an A10 powered laptop.

Now, what is the usage pattern for the average user of a ~<$500 laptop? Is it gaming? Are they likely assiduously hunting for OpenCL applications ? Are they likely to pay for MediaEspresso or are they going to use a free program like HandBrake (assuming they transcode at all) ?
You also might note that HandBrake has - with Intel's help- OpenCL support in conjunction with QuickSync , so safe to say that Intel aren't sitting idly by.

Looks like you are not aware -

News - August 16, 2013

AMD has experienced an increase in shipments of 47% for laptop APUs

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/AMD-Gains-GPU-Market-Share-Last-Quarter

To be honest, saying AMD is seating ideal and doing nothing and also that they are completely non competitive is plain wrong.

OpenCL and heterogeneous computing is the next step. AMD's GCN is going to nail that as we already see them rolling out the support with PS4 and Kaveri to follow soon. We have already seen the advantage and performance boost of OpenCL and heterogeneous team is even larger.

Kindly note that the only 2 companies have not joined heterogeneous computing research -- Intel and Nvidia.

Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Looks like you are not aware -
No, I'm quite well aware.
Unless you're under the impression that the 47% increase in shipments is due to the A10 APU's.
That number doesn't have a great deal of relevance to the A10 range, and nothing to do with the 2500K.

You seem to be having the quintessential AMD knee-jerk reaction to anyone pointing out the realities of the market. Note that in my posts that I haven't denigrated the APU nor sung the praises of the Intel CPU (Go ahead, check)...Just pointed out what the average user wants/needs from their purchase - and I'm guessing that the average user doesn't even know what OpenCL is let alone checks out benchmark results.
EDIT: in response to the edited post above:
Kindly note that the only 2 companies have not joined heterogeneous computing research -- Intel and Nvidia.
HSA/HSAIL is more aimed at compute than gaming so don't get your hopes up. Likewise, how many years has OpenCL been just about to take off ?

As for Intel and Nvidia not being HSA Foundation members...hardly surprising since Intel has its own ideas on the subject, as do Nvidia.

The HSA still need concrete software and a defined description of what they intend to achieve (and how). Looking at the HSA members I see a lot of hardware orientated companies driving it but little in the actual way it is supposed to be implemented.

Last edited:
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Case Corsair 200R
Unfortunately, the same the same argument that AMD supporters point out regarding a "good enough" CPU performance also applies to the "good enough" integrated graphics in Intel chips for the majority of users - a majority who aren't intensive gamers.

^ Your orignal comment implies CPU performance is less - i responded with the growing implement of OpenCL and future implementation of HSA.

HumanSmoke said:
No, I'm quite well aware.
Unless you're under the impression that the 47% increase in shipments is due to the A10 APU's.
That number doesn't have a great deal of relevance to the A10 range, and nothing to do with the 2500K.

^ All i was saying is APU's open CL performance is catching 2500K a respected product by enthusiast. Infact i shared a benchmark figure that showed APU beating i3700K.

HumanSmoke said:
You seem to be having the quintessential AMD knee-jerk reaction to anyone pointing out the realities of the market. Note that in my posts that I haven't denigrated the APU nor sung the praises of the Intel CPU (Go ahead, check)...Just pointed out what the average user wants/needs from their purchase - and I'm guessing that the average user doesn't even know what OpenCL is let alone checks out benchmark results.
EDIT: in response to the edited post above:

HSA/HSAIL is more aimed at compute than gaming so don't get your hopes up. Likewise, how many years has OpenCL been just about to take off ?

As for Intel and Nvidia not being HSA Foundation members...hardly surprising since Intel has its own ideas on the subject, as do Nvidia.

Samsung, ARM - etc are completely dominating figures in hardware market and they drive the software market as well, no matter how you spin this, HSA is getting wide spread support and APU performance is only going to improve from here on.

HumanSmoke said:
The HSA still need concrete software and a defined description of what they intend to achieve (and how). Looking at the HSA members I see a lot of hardware orientated companies driving it but little in the actual way it is supposed to be implemented.

Let's start with PS4 :)

Last edited:
System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
Like others have already mentioned, there are times where a AMD APU is the better choice. HTPC and internet browsing machines are better served with a APU. Intel's performance isn't needed, and AMD's much better integrated graphics is much more important in cases like this. In fact there was a build thread on TPU a couple days ago that is a perfect example of when a APU is the better choice.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189997

The OP was just looking to build a system capable of playing Wii games though a emulator.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Just because they don't have a processor that has the raw performance of an Intel chip doesn't make their products "suck". Please... :rolleyes:

+1

My FX-8350 does everything I need just fine.

AAA title gaming... check
Encoding... check
Photoshop... check
Decompression... check

Sure, Intel is great and is enjoying many advantages, which are well-deserved in many regards. However, in comparison between the two, everything isn't black and white. In other words, just because one is better means the other sucks. To say otherwise, just means you don't know both products, and possibly technology for that matter.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
+1

My FX-8350 does everything I need just fine.

AAA title gaming... check
Encoding... check
Photoshop... check
Decompression... check

Sure, Intel is great and is enjoying many advantages, which are well-deserved in many regards. However, in comparison between the two, everything isn't black and white. In other words, just because one is better means the other sucks. To say otherwise, just means you don't know both products, and possibly technology for that matter.

Elaquent and well put + 1 also winters coming and my heaters even better this year,, Bonus:cool::D:p

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Intel should release high end GPU-less processors and let customers choose their GPU. Not sure why an HD4000 should be integrated to an i7, it doesnt make any sense to me. Unless you are interested in quicklink or so...

On the other hand, AMD doesn't have a CPU matching an i7, but close enough to be respectful

FX 8350 comparable to a heater? Its much cooler than people thinks.