• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Won't Boot

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
My main rig will no longer boot into windows. This started happening after upgrading from a FX 8320 --> FX 8350 and forgetting my password :banghead:. The PC gets the the windows logo then the screen turns black with just a mouse cursor. Everything is stock & default. I really don't want to do a fresh install as i have a lot of files/apps i haven't backed up that i don't want to lose. Could someone please help me. :cry:

System Name Sierra ~ Server
Processor Core i5-11600K ~ Core i3-12100
Motherboard Asus Prime B560M-A AC ~ MSI PRO B760M-P
Cooling CM 212 Black RGB Edition ~ Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4-3600 ~ 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT ~ EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Storage 4TB Samsung 990 Pro with Heatsink NVMe SSD ~ 2TB Kingston NV1 NVMe SSD + 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721QS 4K 60Hz ~ N/A
Case Asus Prime AP201 - Open Frame Chassis
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850W ~ Thermaltake Smart 500W
Software Windows 11 Pro ~ Proxmox VE
Benchmark Scores Laptops: Dell Latitude E7270, Dell Latitude 14 Rugged 5420.
How funny, that is your 1000th post!

Did this start happening immediately after the cpu upgrade?

Durvelle27

Staff member
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
How funny, that is your 1000th post!

Did this start happening immediately after the cpu upgrade?

After upgrading the CPU windows would BSOD after the logo and then restarts but i was able to fix that after running the Start-up repair on the disc but now i have this problem.

D

Deleted member 110753

Compared to XP, Seven is a big shit when something important is changed into the hardware...

Good luck to avoid a new installation...

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Compared to XP, Seven is a big shit when something important is changed into the hardware...

Good luck to avoid a new installation...

I disagree with you there, but to each their own. Let's try to HELP this guy instead eh? ;)

I've had far more issues with XP and hardware changes vs 7, by a huge margin. Honestly I have the OP look into clearing the CMOS if he hasn't already, to make sure it's not still trying to report the original processor ID or something along those lines.

I've swapped CPU's, cloned HDD's, vid cards, and even MB's on Windows 7 installs. Good luck on XP if you do a mainboard swap not having it bug out. 7 would detect the changes, I would install drivers and it was like nothing ever happened. I will admit though that most of my experience with those hardware swaps are more on the Intel than AMD side of things.

As with any major hardware change like the CPU or a fresh MB install, a BIOS clear/CMOS clear is always recommended and should be documented in the MB's manual. Is the AMD chip an APU? If so and you maybe had the GPU disabled, might it be re-enabled and bugging things out? Has anything else changed beyond just the CPU?

Have you tried to do a startup into Safe Mode? Maybe Safe Mode with networking if possible to remove and update the old hardware drivers? Run a ChkDsk, make sure that no major system files became corrupted. Ensure that all data cables are tight, power connections are tight, memory are seated in the slot. I'd check all those and see if you can't get the disk scanned and repaired (maybe use scan /sfc). Maybe if at all possible, going into a system restore may help replace something that was corrupted.

It's very odd to me to see a simple CPU swap cause so many issues to a modern windows install...and I wonder if there is some other cause for the corruption? Maybe re-seat the CPU? I would go through all of those things, to make sure it's all proper, and good to go. You say you don't have a backup of your data, do you have a 2nd pc that you could use to view the data on that hard drive? Or another PC that you could setup for hotswap so you don't have to choose which OS to boot to? It should matter either way, if you can use a sata to usb, esata or just rip the side off of a case and use the internal sata, you could at least backup your data or even run a scan disk to see if there's something needing repaired.

Keep us posted on what you're doing to resolve this issue! Hopefully we can get ya sorted without having to re-install! I also hope you can backup your data and will implement a setup to do so after this experience. It sucks when something like this happens, but there are solutions, we just gotta narrow it down to the one(s) that work for you!

:toast:

D

Deleted member 110753

I've had far more issues with XP and hardware changes vs 7
That's exactly the opposite for me ! :D

FYI, I've never do a new installation with XP since the beginning.
I had a lot of new hardwares, and each time I used Acronis to install my image without trouble, further more with raid0.
With Seven, each time I had problems... :D

Raw

System Name it's a computer
Processor INTEL i5-2500K OC'ed @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z68-V DELUXE Gen3
Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Display(s) SAMSUNG 24HD Model # 2494 Sync Master
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Gold AX850 Full Modular
Software Windows 10
Win 7 is the summa cum laude

I disagree with you there, but to each their own. Let's try to HELP this guy instead eh? ;)

I've had far more issues with XP and hardware changes vs 7, by a huge margin. Honestly I have the OP look into clearing the CMOS if he hasn't already, to make sure it's not still trying to report the original processor ID or something along those lines.

I've swapped CPU's, cloned HDD's, vid cards, and even MB's on Windows 7 installs. Good luck on XP if you do a mainboard swap not having it bug out. 7 would detect the changes, I would install drivers and it was like nothing ever happened. I will admit though that most of my experience with those hardware swaps are more on the Intel than AMD side of things.

As with any major hardware change like the CPU or a fresh MB install, a BIOS clear/CMOS clear is always recommended and should be documented in the MB's manual. Is the AMD chip an APU? If so and you maybe had the GPU disabled, might it be re-enabled and bugging things out? Has anything else changed beyond just the CPU?

Have you tried to do a startup into Safe Mode? Maybe Safe Mode with networking if possible to remove and update the old hardware drivers? Run a ChkDsk, make sure that no major system files became corrupted. Ensure that all data cables are tight, power connections are tight, memory are seated in the slot. I'd check all those and see if you can't get the disk scanned and repaired (maybe use scan /sfc). Maybe if at all possible, going into a system restore may help replace something that was corrupted.

It's very odd to me to see a simple CPU swap cause so many issues to a modern windows install...and I wonder if there is some other cause for the corruption? Maybe re-seat the CPU? I would go through all of those things, to make sure it's all proper, and good to go. You say you don't have a backup of your data, do you have a 2nd pc that you could use to view the data on that hard drive? Or another PC that you could setup for hotswap so you don't have to choose which OS to boot to? It should matter either way, if you can use a sata to usb, esata or just rip the side off of a case and use the internal sata, you could at least backup your data or even run a scan disk to see if there's something needing repaired.

Keep us posted on what you're doing to resolve this issue! Hopefully we can get ya sorted without having to re-install! I also hope you can backup your data and will implement a setup to do so after this experience. It sucks when something like this happens, but there are solutions, we just gotta narrow it down to the one(s) that work for you!

What he said

Win 7 is the summa cum laude of Windows, IMHO.:

Last edited:

Durvelle27

Staff member
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350

I mentioned in the OP CPU is a FX 8350 (not an APU). Safe-mode does the same thing black screen with cursor. Have tried resetting CPU. Yes i have another PC but it wouldn't let me access the disk. RAM was also changed

Last edited:

Raw

System Name it's a computer
Processor INTEL i5-2500K OC'ed @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z68-V DELUXE Gen3
Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Display(s) SAMSUNG 24HD Model # 2494 Sync Master
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Gold AX850 Full Modular
Software Windows 10

Durvelle27

Staff member
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
I just called quits and reinstalled Windows 7 on another SSD until i can figure this out

AbbotAngus12

As compared to Windows xp or Any other of the windows version. Windows 7 is a bit more tacky while adding or removing hardware and doesn't allow easily to add remove software's.

Business Marketing

Last edited: