• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Scratch case] Project Duplex

Hi,

So this is my new Project for the Cooler Master mod competiton. I still have a bit to design but will start fabricating soon.

It's called Project Duplex and will be a two faced case.
-On one side the motherboard, on the otherside a GPU and ssd's.
-Two seperate loops with a 240radiator each.
- WIll be made out of aluminum and acrylic
- Most of the watercooling will be hidden

Fabricating will start soon!

Ace

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
what is deadline for contest
and subed

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
looks nice but i dunno how you gonna put flexible pciex cable to the back of the board and creating sleek look. pretty challenging is it?
subb too

looks nice but i dunno how you gonna put flexible pciex cable to the back of the board and creating sleek look. pretty challenging is it?
subb too

It sure is. I will make a cover for the pci-e ports that will hide the cable. The challenge will be to get it look small when irl it will be quite big and bulky. I have ideas in my mind but before i have the actual motherboard i can't do any tests. Hopefullly i will have the motherboard soon.

And i will get the 20x20x2mm aluminum profile this week!

Finally an update! Was a lot harder to get the profile than i thought. Living in the country side has its drawbacks :)

First i would like to say a big Thanks to OCZ and Mr J. for believing in me and sponsoring me with a 256GB Vector drive. Will take some nice pictures of it as soon as i get it back. Took it to a place to make it fit the build a bit better. More on that in another update :)

The profile, Ordered 2mm thick profile but when i got it it was only 1,5mm. Oh well, would have been nice with 2mm for threading but 1,5mm will be enough.... i hope.

after cutting all the profiles with a hand saw and I milled them to the right angle and size.

De burring all the edges

All profiles except one

Welding it all together. Was too optimistic with the welding. I did not think it would warp as much as it did. All in all it was only a mm or 2 off but due to so many angles and lengths it looked so crooked I did not wanna use it.

Plan B: Cut off all the legs, straighten out one leg that was a bit warped. The rest were fine. Then mill all of the legs at once to make sure they are all the same length and straight

Decided instead of welding i would make inserts to bolt into the profile and into the base and top. This way it's easier to keep straight and also a lot easier when its time to paint. Should have thought about this before

Tapping the inserts

All done. Still need to clean up to get it looking really nice but will leave that until its time to paint

The base

Made a 2mm sheet and pressed it inside the profile, welded it and after milled it straight. If i can get another profile i might make a 45 degree cut instead. Would look a lot nicer.

Time for some sheet metal work. Sticking with 2mm aluminum. Don't know what this is called but it is very useful.

The panel is divided into 3 pieces for now while i work with the pieces. I might weld them together at a later stage. Still need to drill a lot of holes and cut some openings in them.

Drilled and getting ready to tap

Had to try a mobo on it. Case looks huge and it is a bit big but u think it will shrink a bit once i start adding things to it

Sponsored by

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
I believe that machine is some kind of brake, which is used to bend sheet metal - although that one looks to be hydraulic vs. the manual ones I've used before.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
Looks good. :rockout:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Sub'd. Looks to be a really cool build:)

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
i see how you could manage to get it to look neat now, your first post sketchings made the case seem like it'd be a lot smaller, or my perception is just a little off lol. Cool build

i see how you could manage to get it to look neat now, your first post sketchings made the case seem like it'd be a lot smaller, or my perception is just a little off lol. Cool build

I might have changed the sizes a bit :D After further drawings i realised i was making something impossible :) so i added a bit of lenght here and there :)

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
I believe that machine is some kind of brake, which is used to bend sheet metal - although that one looks to be hydraulic vs. the manual ones I've used before.

It's a press brake, I've got one at my shop. :toast:

It's a press brake, I've got one at my shop. :toast:

You are correct!

So a very small update. Have been busy helping mum and dad move house, so have not had any time for modding but picked something up on Friday that i thought i would share with you.

My first part for the build, a 256GB Vector drive.

Content: SSD, a mounting plate, screws, a sticker, a manual and a key for acronis true image

The drive, looks great but didn't really fit the black and red build i'm doing. so decided to make some minor changes.

Didn't wanna go too crazy with these as i want it to look enough original but still fit the design
A solid black one, this was very hard to photograph, probably took 50 photos and didn't get a single good one. Need to read up on how to take proper photos :)

A black metallic one

Made enough stickers so i have a few to mess up, or if i wanna make a small raid :D

Sponsored by

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Hey guys,

Finally an update!
Recently bought a house and have been moving things (mostly to the garage) so now i can start modding more and close to home so updates should be more frequent now

After thinking a while about the front and the back panel i decided the best way would be to have them water cut, i have countless times milled thin aluminum sheet and it usually ends with the flute snapping. Still need to cut a lot of holes in the back panel for all the connectors but i will do that at a later stage

One step forward two steps back, or however the saying goes. I wasn't very happy about the shape of the frame and the quality of the work i had put in it so i sat down and re-drew the frame and decided it was time for plan C. This time it is made from a 10mm aluminum sheet, it's 15mm wide. I changed the angles a bit and shortened it a bit length and depth wise, the width it still the same

Time to drill some holes

One drilled, one to go, hopefully it fits!

Time for some threading, i always use the cordless drill to tap with, so far i have never snapped a bit with it and its so much faster.

Had to change the "shape" of the mill so i could drill and tap the support bars

The support bars

Done

Seems like it fits!

So much better than the other frame, a lot of work but now i like it and it won't bug me anymore.

Bottom plate for the frame, drilled and counter sunk

Perfect fit except one hole which i need to file a bit.

Old vs new, i don't know what you guys think but i like the new one a lot more

New part arrived!

Another box in the box

Everything is very well packed

Lots of cables with it, needs some sleeving though

Love the brushed steel look on the top of it

Scale photo

More updates coming soon!

Very sad news about OCZ, the only SSD's i've owned are OCZ and i have been very happy with them.
Sponsored by

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate

Yupp, it's a press brake, NC controlled by the looks of it..

Hey guys!

Finally all moved in to the new house and got internet up and running again.

Just a short update but another one hopefully this weekend.
Milling the motherboard plate and the Gpu plate. Only milling the shape for now and doing all the holes and cutout later.

More milling and drilling, these are for the other panels on the side.

All slots cut out

As i haven't had any access to the press break for a while I started looking for an "affordable" sheet bender, but the quality on them are horrible. So i decided to take a different approach to bending the sheets.

60 degree V-flute, 1mm in the bottom

Milled a 1mm deep slot in both panels

Clamped it to the desk with the slot facing upwards

Put a small flat bar across the sheet so i would bend it equally everywhere

Worked a lot better than i thought it would.

Test fit of the panels. Had to try the grommet too to see if i made the hole the right size

More panels.

Also made a cut out for the motherboard in HDF, It's a lot faster and easier to redo if i have some measurements wrong :)

That is all for now, hopefully another update over the weekend!

Sponsored by

Back with an update, was supposed to be a bit earlier but have been sick so haven't had much time. Anyways...

Did the motherboard and GPU side in aluminum

Test fit of components

Made some covers for SSD's so the cables will be hidden. No pictures of the installed yet but there will be soon enough

Same for the Pci-e extension cable

Made a sheet for holding the rads and fans. Decided to make it in two separate pieces, one for each rad.

A bit of bending

Test fit

Time for some acrylic. This is for the front panel. Was a bit tricky before i figured out how to make it in two runs. Milled some holes and put some centering axles in it. worked out pretty well.

Installed. Made it slightly bigger so i can sand it to the right size. Still need to do the rear and top and bottom. Still not sure if it will be painted or led lit. But i will need to decide very soon.

That's it for this time

As you can see i have some new parts :) Will do some unboxing as soon as i can get it set up

Sponsored by:

Currently somewhere around NSW, Australia
System Name hmmm... / lappy (ASUS Scar III)
Processor Intel Core i7-8086K / Intel Core i7-9750H
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Formula / ASUS G531GW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s w/ 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax and 1 x Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Fans / Stock
Memory 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600mhz / 2x16gb Kingston Hyper X Impact DDR4 2666mhz C15
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 / Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
Storage 2 x Samsung 960 EVO Plus 1tb NVME/ 1tb Intel SSDPEKNW010T8 NVME + 2tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34P / ASUS 15.6" Screen
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 White-TG + Noctua Chromax Fans / ASUS Scar III Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Logitech Z623 / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W + PROLINK PRO903WS / ASUS ADP-230GB B Power Brick
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB / Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB / ASUS Scar III Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 / Windows 10 Professional x64
Looking really good! Can't wait for your next update! :toast:

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Wow, this has some serious potential, and looks to be coming along quite nicely! I like.

As for the acrylic, I'd go with LEDs along the edges. But use some dim/soft ones, with a wide cast angle (maybe 60° or so), and serious bonus points if you manage to have a potentiometer somewhere to be able to control the intensity or even completely turn the lighting off.

Just my .02

Keep up the good work! :)

System Name Game / Work
Processor Amd 1800X @3900 / Intel 9600kf @ 4600
Motherboard Asus C VI H / Msi z390 A pro
Cooling air atm / liquid
Memory 16gb 4000mhz @3400 / 16 gb 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) Msi 1080ti / Amd Radeon pro w5500
Storage Ocz rd400 512 gb m2 + Seagate Exos 4 tb / 250gb Kingston A2000 + WD 2tb Gold
Display(s) Aoc 32" qhd
Case Working on a new project
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamics DT 770 pro + Logitech Z 623
Power Supply seasonic 1050 snow white / CM V750 Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Gskill Ripjaws KM 780 MX
Software W 10 pro 64 / W 10 pro 64
Benchmark Scores Just checked, the computer still works.
It´s looking very nice, and if you could turn the ssd lettering in the right position it will be better:rockout:.

Wow, this has some serious potential, and looks to be coming along quite nicely! I like.

As for the acrylic, I'd go with LEDs along the edges. But use some dim/soft ones, with a wide cast angle (maybe 60° or so), and serious bonus points if you manage to have a potentiometer somewhere to be able to control the intensity or even completely turn the lighting off.

Just my .02

Keep up the good work! :)

Thx buddy! I have some red power leds i'm gonna use. Guess why i have a fan controller on each side with 6 pot's each and only 4 fans :D I will divide the leds into sections so i can fine tune them all so they have the same brightness :)

It´s looking very nice, and if you could turn the ssd lettering in the right position it will be better:rockout:.
Thx buddy! I have made gloss black and mettalic black stickers for the SSD, they should be in a previous update. So it will be the right way once its done :)