• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Enlarged Cursor with new AMD 7790

dealmaster00

Hi all,

I also encountered this problem after installing a new HD7790. I am running win 7 64-bit. Even with mouse cursor shadows enabled, the text select cursor was huge, which was pretty annoying. Also, the cursor in DotA 2 (a game) was enormous and pixelated. I worked around these issues by using a custom text select cursor - this brought the text select cursor to normal size, and it looks pretty similar to the old one. I picked one in the default cursor directory that pops up when you choose a different cursor. I'm pretty sure the default text select cursor doesnt have a shadow, which is why it is huge. Pick a custom text select cursor with a shadow.

For DotA 2, I replaced the .ani cursor files in the DotA 2 game directory with smaller images for a 800x600 display (I am running 1080p) from here: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=32845 . They are still pretty pixelated in game but thankfully much smaller, so I don't really care. These ani files do not have shadows which is probably why they are huge and pixelated.

There is a specific HD7790 driver, has anyone tried it? http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/RadeonHD7790CatalystPerformanceDriver.aspx I'm currently running the generic HD7xxx driver. I'll probably try the HD7790 performance driver soon to see if it fixes the cursor issue and increases FPS (i'll run some benchmarks on both drivers).

Edit: I will not be installing the HD7790 driver. I benchmarked the HD7xxx driver and get 2970 G3D marks. This is close enough to the average of 3012 for the HD7790 that I am satisfied and won't spend any time installing and benchmarking a different driver. Maybe if I get cursor issues in another game I will install the HD7790 driver though.

Last edited:

ble4h

Happens in R7 260X as well

I created an account just for this :)

Anyway, you guys will be happy to know that this happens on the R7 260X as well (which is basically a 7790). I got some parts to build a new PC yesterday and hit lots of rubbish issues with this enlarged cursor being one of them.

My setup:
Fresh install of Win7 Pro SP1

i7-4770S
Gigabyte B85M-D3H - Latest Bios (F08)
Sapphire R7 260X OC - Latest Beta Driver (13.11 Beta v9.2) though it happens in 13.10 WHQL as well
2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600 in Dual Channel Mode
1080p TV on HDMI

My symptoms:
-Normal-sized mouse pointer on desktop
-Enlarged text select pointer when hovering over text fields
-Enlarged in-game mouse pointer in full-screen games

Experiments so far:
-Enabling cursor trails fixes the enlarged text select pointer on desktop but causes the mouse pointer to disappear in full-screen games
-Enabling cursor trails and running games in windowed-full-screen allows the in-game mouse pointer to appear normally and at the correct size (but I hate the fps penalty)

Not at home atm so I can't try more stuff. Definitely will try fiddling with older drivers and the mouse configurations as tezzatheman did.

Last edited:

dealmaster00

I created an account just for this :)

Anyway, you guys will be happy to know that this happens on the R7 260X as well (which is basically a 7790). I got some parts to build a new PC yesterday and hit lots of rubbish issues with this enlarged cursor being one of them.

My setup:
Fresh install of Win7 Pro SP1

i7-4770S
Gigabyte B85M-D3H - Latest Bios (F08)
Sapphire R7 260X OC - Latest Beta Driver (13.11 Beta v9.2) though it happens in 13.10 WHQL as well
2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600 in Dual Channel Mode
1080p TV on HDMI

My symptoms:
-Normal-sized mouse pointer on desktop
-Enlarged text select pointer when hovering over text fields
-Enlarged in-game mouse pointer in full-screen games

Experiments so far:
-Enabling cursor trails fixes the enlarged text select pointer on desktop but causes the mouse pointer to disappear in full-screen games
-Enabling cursor trails and running games in windowed-full-screen allows the in-game mouse pointer to appear normally and at the correct size (but I hate the fps penalty)

Not at home atm so I can't try more stuff. Definitely will try fiddling with older drivers and the mouse configurations as tezzatheman did.

Hey ble4h,

Does enabling cursor shadows work for you? Try using a custom text select cursor (one that has a shadow).

If you are gonna try old drivers, want to try the HD7790 performance driver here?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/RadeonHD7790CatalystPerformanceDriver.aspx

ble4h

Hey ble4h,

Does enabling cursor shadows work for you? Try using a custom text select cursor (one that has a shadow).

If you are gonna try old drivers, want to try the HD7790 performance driver here?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/RadeonHD7790CatalystPerformanceDriver.aspx

Nope, shadows are enabled by default. Disabling/Enabling it doesn't change anything for me. I don't believe the 7790 drivers will work directly though I could try it with some hacks, I think.

I'll try your method as well when I can. :)

Edit1: I take it back. Enabling shadows changes only the normal pointer back to the original size. Pointer trails changes both the normal pointer and text select to normal size.

Edit2: Workaround in Windows (doesn't work for Full-Screen Games) - regedit > HKCU > Control Panel > Mouse > MouseTrails = -1 (Enables mouse trails minus the trails, which I found annoying). Nothing much besides waiting either for a BIOS fix or driver fix. So I'm playing games in Windowed Full-Screen meanwhile.

Edit3: For whomever running R7 260X with this issue, just use the workaround above and play games in Windowed Mode. I can hit 100+ FPS on the couple of games I play, so I guess I am done here. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Processor i7 4770K
Motherboard EVGA z87 Classified
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory HyperX 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX 980 KPE
Storage 1 SSD + 1TB HD
Case Corsair 450D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Power Supply Corsair AX760i
Mouse G502 PROTEUS CORE
Keyboard Vortex POKER II
Has anyone replicated the issue using DVI cables? it seems this only happens when you use HDMI

Deadpooln

Hey guys, I'm glad I found this forum. I just bought the 7790 2 days ago and also had this large cursor problem. It was bugging me, but I saw somewhere here someone mentioned changing the enable pointer shadow. I hit the box and now it's fine.
Wait... I literally just noticed when it sits in this box it goes large ha :p iunno.
As long as it doesn't effect anything I don't really care. My games look great.

ulises3.14

Same problem here, a new catalyst beta 13.11 was released yesterday and I promptly downloaded it and gave it a try but didn't fix the issue. I'm tempted to buy a DVI cable, is not the worst problem in the world but is really annoying!

ulises3.14

I've found a partial solution, if I put the computer to sleep the cursor is normal when it wakes up. I hope someone find this useful until someone gets a real solution.

asha

I've found a partial solution, if I put the computer to sleep the cursor is normal when it wakes up. I hope someone find this useful until someone gets a real solution.
Give that man a cookie! It works dude! GJ! :love: never thought was to easy ;p

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I bought my GF this card and on a old install of windows 8 (she came from nvidia) I installed it and its working fine on the 13.11 drivers but she is using dual monitors on DVI

CoolPhone

I bought few days ago Gigabyte HD 7790 and have the same problem.
I'm connecting my PC to TV through HDMI cable.
I tried everything and nothing works.

gloric

Thought I would sign up and post. My friend just got a R9 290 (MSI Gaming) and he has the exact same issue. Nothing in this thread or elsewhere fixes the problem.

EDIT:
His build;
Asrock Z87 Killer
Intel i5 4670K
16GB of pc 1600 ddr3 from Gskill
Samsung Evo 250GB ssd
Win7 Pro

msaraiva

Thought I would sign up and post. My friend just got a R9 290 (MSI Gaming) and he has the exact same issue. Nothing in this thread or elsewhere fixes the problem.

EDIT:
His build;
Asrock Z87 Killer
Intel i5 4670K
16GB of pc 1600 ddr3 from Gskill
Samsung Evo 250GB ssd
Win7 Pro

...and i just signed up to tell you that, for the MSI R9 290 Gaming, it's a GPU BIOS + Catalyst issue. Use GPU-Z and check the version, your friend's card is probably using 15.042.000.003. I know that because it also happened with my card once i updated from 15.042.000.000.