• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Replacing my Boot SSD, what about the data on my storage HDD?

Processor AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 2 x 4gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) NVidia EVGA Classified 780 ACX Cooler
Storage 1tb Barracuda + 2tb WD C.Black + 250gb Samsung SSD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG + Audio Technica M50's + Infinity bookshelves with receiver
Power Supply 850w Corsair
I've got a small 64gb Samsung SSD with windows on it that I'm looking to replace soon, along with my mobo. I've also got my original 1tb HDD that I plan to replace eventually but I use for pretty much everything besides my OS.

The new SSD will hold my OS + all of my drivers so all of the system necessities while my HDD will hold games, media, etc.

My problem is that I have extremely slow internet and do a lot of gaming. Wiping my HDD would leave me redownloading everything for months.

If I replace my SSD, reinstall windows on the new one, then hook it all up to the new mobo, will the data on my HDD be able to stay in tact or will I have to wipe it as well. This would solely be a storage drive and not part of a raid configuration so I hope that would prevent me from needing to wipe it.

I've not tinkered with multiple drive setups when it comes to reformatting my system so I don't know what the outcome will be and would rather not just dive into it without being sure my data won't need to be wiped.

**As a Side question, once I have the new SSD + another HDD, currently deciding on which to get (gaming, speed, and size important) should I configure them into a raid setup? Again something that I'd researched but don't fully understand.**

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 24505

The data on your HDD will be fine, unless you format it. Windows will only install were you tell it too and will not touch the other drive. Sometimes it is best to un plug other drives, reinstall on the SSD and then reconnect the other drive/s

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Processor AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 2 x 4gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) NVidia EVGA Classified 780 ACX Cooler
Storage 1tb Barracuda + 2tb WD C.Black + 250gb Samsung SSD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG + Audio Technica M50's + Infinity bookshelves with receiver
Power Supply 850w Corsair
The data on your HDD will be fine, unless you format it. Windows will only install were you tell it too and will not touch the other drive. Sometimes it is best to un plug other drives, reinstall on the SSD and then reconnect the other drive/s

Yep. during the install absolutely :rockout:

Alright I'll be sure to do that. Appreciate the quick replies.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Yep. during the install absolutely :rockout:

This is really only because Windows will attempt to write some boot files to the other drives that are not the Local C: drive. Best to disconnect all other drives but your primary, so nothing is written to the other drives.

Found this out the hard way when I was doing a new build, kept my all drives plugged in, installed windows on the primary, but once finished tried to format the others and it wouldn't let me as it said that they are in use by windows or something along those lines, and it created a weird dual boot thing. Every time id boot it would take me to a boot menu with 2 of the same Windows OSs. Both of which, IIRC, took me to the same windows install.

well, you have had all the good advice already.
and indeed get your new motherboard and ssd and do a nice clean install and only after connect your hdd.

so keep your computer case open have all the cables for hdd electricity and sata connections ready but not yet connected. do not get rid of your old hdd if and when you have the money to replace it, keep it in your computer case as second hdd and use it for putting your backup on. or keep the one you have now and get an other one for backup.

i would not advice to start with raid now, get the hang of two hard drives and good backup practice first. if you want to be super sure you could make another copy on an external hdd. up to you.
you can use a backup software Macrium Reflect is a good free one. i gave you a link to filehippo.com which is a trustworthy website for free software.

filehippo is a good address to download your other software from, like firefox, libreoffice, foxit pdf reader and do remember spyware blaster and crapcleaner while you are at it.
store it all on a usb stick and when you have done your windows install stick all the other software on your new sdd as well.

i run a samsung 840 evo 120gb which is plenty big enough. you might consider putting all you personal files like my documents, my music, my videos ect on your hdd here is an article explaining how to do it.
and another one.
do remember to create a new folder first on your hdd where you want your "my documents "to go. and again a new folder on your hdd for "my music" and so on.

that way your sdd stays light and works quickly.

but do make a copy of all your folders from your hdd to another hdd. really important.
have fun.