• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire HD5970 bus interface problem

Processor AMD FX 6350 @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 rev 1.2
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 Evo
Memory Kingston HyperX blue 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950 3GB DDR5 OC with Boost Vapor-X 1150/1425
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA3 64MB (7200.14)
Display(s) BenQ XL2410T 120Hz
Case Zalman Z9 Plus
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply OCZ Modxstream-Pro 700W
Mouse Zowie Ec1Evo
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate
Software Windows 8.1 64-Bit
For reference, my system specs are under my avatar.

Received this card like a week ago, but had some problems with it not fitting inside my case, problems that are luckily solved now. Yet there appears to be a bus interface problem now, let me describe it.

Here are my gpu-z screens: master and slave.

Notice how the Bus interface says "PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x4 2.0" on first and "PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x8 2.0" on second.
I first thought this was a power-saving feature so I run the "render-test" available if you click the ? next to the bus interface specs, but neither the x4 nor the x8 would go up to x16 after 10 minutes of testing and I found other people's gpu-z 5970's screenshots on the internet that do show x16. Both Trixx and CCC show x4, although CCC also specifies that the max bus setup is x8.

Notice how my motherboard has only one pciex16 slot, as the second one is a pciex16 running at x4. But that's not the issue as the card is plugged into the pciex16 one. Yet it's not a motherboard issue, as I have a Sapphire HD 6870 that I've tried and its bus interface value is correct: PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0.
My bios version is F7, it's the one that came with the rev 1.2 of it and the last one available before the F8a, which is a beta bios. So I don't really want to upgrade it to the beta one.
Init Display First was set to PCI Slot by factory default so I switched it to PEG to see if that would change anything. Before you ask, the card was already running on M.x4 & S.x8 with the PCI option, and it's still the same with PEG.

Tried cleaning both card socket to the mb and the mb socket itself with isopropyl, as it has helped me some time before with my RAM issues. Nothing.

Also, I'm currently using the 13.9 WHQL drivers (did a clean install, using guru3d DDU), as the 13.11 betaV9.2 ones were giving me screen artifacts and controller hangups every 3-5 minutes, and even BSODs. Had these driver issues only with the 5970, as the 6870 is working perfectly.

Here's the rarest thing, though. I tried running Furmark (Full-screen, Benchmark preset:1080) and I get around 3530 points (score link) which is around the same that other people get with their 5970 so there's kind of no performance issues, despite the x4. Results show one gpu only though, and I don't know if it's an issue, as this is a dual gpu card; opinions on this?

My only choices, known for me that is, left are:
- updating my gpu bios to the one known best for fixing all the problems, this one. I read that my current one is known for being a buggy one, but I know if that will fix my x4 issue. If I end up doing it, which I don't really want to, should I do it with atiflash & msdos or through atiWinflash?
- reverting my catalyst drivers to something even more stable, something like 13.1 or 13.2, as the gpu-z photos I've seen that had x16 were using those.
- trying with a different PCI-E connectors or even a different PSU. My PSU is modular, so PCI-E connectors can be changed, to see if there's a power supply issue (5970 eats around 294W, whilst the 6870 is only about the half, so maybe that's why I see no issues with its x16 against the 5970's x4?). A friend of mine might be able to lend me his 750W psu, to see if the issue is my psu itself.

I think that's about it, any suggestions and/or help will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

First Things First make a backup of the Master and Slave bios

-Test the vga card in another system on a different motherboard model
-Use older version of GPU-Z 0.5.9 [should be in the TPU archives]
-Clean the vga cards PCIe blades with a coffee filter and isopropyl alcohol
-Clean the PCIe x16 slot with a air duster
-Reseat the vga card, double check that there are no obstructions and the card fits
-Double check power cable are secure and that the PSU is ouputing the required AMP [75w six & 150w eight pin power]
-Do not use furmark to test the card as it may harm it; [instead use a game to place load on the card] or use GPU-Z "? icon" to check the PCIe bus speed.

Only Flash when you have exhausted all other posibilities [follow this thread]

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited:
Processor AMD FX 6350 @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 rev 1.2
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 Evo
Memory Kingston HyperX blue 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950 3GB DDR5 OC with Boost Vapor-X 1150/1425
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA3 64MB (7200.14)
Display(s) BenQ XL2410T 120Hz
Case Zalman Z9 Plus
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply OCZ Modxstream-Pro 700W
Mouse Zowie Ec1Evo
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate
Software Windows 8.1 64-Bit
Thanks for the reply :)
First Things First make a backup of the Master and Slave bios
I was about to make a backup of both bios files and when I switched to do the slave one I noticed that now its bios is OC8, same as the Master one. While yesterday, if you check the links at my first post, it was at OC9. Screenshots were done in idle mode yesterday, so I don't think this is due to a different bios profile, is it?
-Test the vga card in another system on a different motherboard model
That will be complicated, but I'll see what can I do.
-Use older version of GPU-Z 0.5.9 [should be in the TPU archives]
Just tried it, same thing, doesn't go up to x16, not even x8. Master is at x4 and slave at x8.
-Clean the vga cards PCIe blades with a coffee filter and isopropyl alcohol
Already did that before, as mentioned in my original post.
-Clean the PCIe x16 slot with a air duster
Already cleaned it as much as I could before, but with cotton swabs soaked in isopropyl as I don't have a compressed air bottle. Will try getting one for further cleaning, but the 6870 is running great at x16, no problems whatsoever with that one, just with the 5970.
-Reseat the vga card, double check that there are no obstructions and the card fits
Was kind of the first thing I did, didn't look as it would change anything, card fits perfectly fine though.
-Double check power cable are secure and that the PSU is ouputing the required AMP [75w six & 150w eight pin power]
Yeah, as the PSU is modular I thought some of the cables wouldn't be seated perfectly or something, but turns out they are. How do I check the output though? Can it be checked with software or only with a tester?
-Do not use furmark to test the card as it may harm it; [instead use a game to place load on the card] or use GPU-Z "? icon" to check the PCIe bus speed.
Will keep that in mind.

Only Flash when you have exhausted all other posibilities [follow this thread]

atb (all the best)

Law-II
The link you posted was the one that led me to this forum :)

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Just commenting to follow the thread. I'm interested to see how this develops. Before you do anything too crazy, check to see if the card is still under warranty. If it is, don't touch it and contact support.

If I'm not mistaken, and I'm drawing from a general understanding of dual-gpu cards and not from knowledge of this card specifically, there should be a chip on the card that splits the 16x PCI-E 2.0 in to two 16x slots. It's typically near the PCI-e pins. (Found a picture of it here)
To quote hothardware's review on this card, "The Radeon HD 5970 architecture is much like previous X2 cards. Each of the card's GPUs are linked together on a single PCB, via a PLX PCI Express 2.1 Gen 2 bridge."

I would suspect any issue with the negotiation of the two GPUs would be due to that bridge. It might be worth checking around in your motherboard to see if it tells you the link between chipset and PCI-e bridge is running at (likely 16x). If you don't mind taking the cooler off, check the back of the card for physical damage. There may be something shorting out some of the pins.

The solution to this, I'm afraid to say, is beyond me. Flashing a BIOS may not help unless there's a weird incompatibility between some BIOSes and the bridge on their own card, which there could be.

Very interesting though.

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
I was about to make a backup of both bios files and when I switched to do the slave one I noticed that now its bios is OC8, same as the Master one. While yesterday, if you check the links at my first post, it was at OC9. Screenshots were done in idle mode yesterday, so I don't think this is due to a different bios profile, is it?

Create a bootable flash drive with atiflash use version 3.79 from here change settings in mobo bios to boot from USB, run atiflash at the DOS prompt; type the following:

atiflash -ai 0 [look at the adapter information] = Master

atiflash -ai 1 [look at the adapter information] = Slave

atiflash -s 0 MasterOld.rom [will make a backup of the master]

atiflash -s 1 SlaveOld.rom [will make a backup of the slave]

Use RBE 1.28 to look at the versions and double check OC8 & OC9 [vga card cannot change this it's self but may be corrupted]

That will be complicated, but I'll see what can I do
Good luck, try your best to make this happen.

Can it be checked with software or only with a tester?
tester, would be the best way to go

Thanks for answering the other questions

atb

Law-II