• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bunch of junk I got off of old laptops - any suggestions?

keantoken

Processor PIII/MMX/SSE 550MHz
Motherboard Dell Optiplex GX1 (?)
Cooling Old 486 Cooling fans...
Memory 256Mb
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce FX 5500
Storage Pri: 10Gb Sec: 8Gb
Display(s) KDS XFlat 7s
Case Dell Optiplex GX1
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Creative [Ensoniq] AudioPCI
Power Supply Stock
Software Win2k Pro SP4
Hello

I have managed to take apart two laptops (they didn't work, of course). In the following photo I have arranged all of the useful (maybe) parts I got from them - Heatsinks, Fans, Obsolete Memory things, Card Modem, even a 1.35GB HDD! :rockout: [sarcasm]

I am wondering if I could somehow clamp one of those Heatsinks onto my GPU (look at specs for model), which was my main goal in taking these laptops apart - getting heatsinks.

That said, are there any more suggestions on how to use this stuff?

Attachments

• Laptop Dismemberment.jpg
    Laptop Dismemberment.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 421

aximbigfan

System Name QUAD1
Processor Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T SE
Cooling XIGMATEK HDT-S963
Memory OCZ 3 X 1GB Triple Channel
Video Card(s) HIS Radeon HD4670 IceQ
Storage Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA
Display(s) Acer AL1916W 19" Widescreen LCD
Case CM Storm Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 520 Watt
Software Windows XP Pro
Hello

I have managed to take apart two laptops (they didn't work, of course). In the following photo I have arranged all of the useful (maybe) parts I got from them - Heatsinks, Fans, Obsolete Memory things, Card Modem, even a 1.35GB HDD! :rockout: [sarcasm]

I am wondering if I could somehow clamp one of those Heatsinks onto my GPU (look at specs for model), which was my main goal in taking these laptops apart - getting heatsinks.

That said, are there any more suggestions on how to use this stuff?
the only use i could think of would be to overvolt it and watch the inssuing fire! seriusly, (most) laptop parts are no good becouse they arent standard. if you want a heatsink for your gpu, then spend the $30 and get one. dont try to jerryrig soem old laptop cooler. you are almost certainly going the break something.

chris