• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

class action investor lawsuit against EA for BF4 quality LOL

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
*Rushes game out to please investors*

*Investors sue EA because game is rushed*

This is a problem with publicly traded companies.

I'm glad to see that it's the investors this time.

We all know that hate for EA is rampant. Whether we buy into it or not, the consumers can only vote with their dollars. Unfortunately, self control might be something we need to work on...

The investors have unique leverage. They are aware of the PR issues, they see what EA is making, and they can talk directly to the head honchos of EA. Hopefully this doesn't get messy, but the troll in me wants to watch EA burn.

As a side note, did anyone take advantage of EAs new return policy on first party games? It seems like that sort of thing is tailored for this kind of a messy launch....

I returned my copy of BF4 for Xbox One. That game was broke AF and I'm not going to pay $60 so EA can use me as a beta tester.

*Rushes game out to please investors*

*Investors sue EA because game is rushed*

This. That's why i don't mind game delays if they plan to release a proper release. That's why i for example didn't mind delay of Deus Ex Human Revolution for more than half a year. While they did sort of mess up the boss fights, the game was exceptionally well made with nearly zero bugs and problems. It was really a great experience. But i remember many games where they rushed them just to catch the deadline and then they had loads of issues.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
This. That's why i don't mind game delays if they plan to release a proper release. That's why i for example didn't mind delay of Deus Ex Human Revolution for more than half a year. While they did sort of mess up the boss fights, the game was exceptionally well made with nearly zero bugs and problems. It was really a great experience. But i remember many games where they rushed them just to catch the deadline and then they had loads of issues.

Arkham Origins suffered from this too.
But seriously, since Timegate got sued because Colonial Marines looked awful compared to the demo, every Tom Dick and Harry is sueing any game company because something isn't as it was stated. Whether they should be allowed to or not, I guess the courts will decide. This just means instead of EA teasing or giving out information regarding a game release, they're just not going to say a god damn thing in case investor 1 year later sue them for saying something.

The sad part is, EA have tried so hard not to be hated recently, and I can't help but think they've just brought it upon themselves...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If EA wanted to make a real effort not to be hated, they need to cut some upper management jobs/payroll. They are so desperate to make money and keep their yachts afloat that they make bad decisions. Frankly, that won't happen. Publishers are ruining the industry as they're sucking up all the money and don't really care who or what they take advantage of to get that money be it their employees or customers.

i'm not siding with ea per se, but this lawsuit is stupid... all dice games are riddled with bugs, but of course game crashes at every map change on pc+ps4 is quite a big one sure

the investor dates dont quite make sense... how is any publisher or developer supposed to know how a game will launch 3 months in advance, that's how this industry works

one of the suits claimed EA executives had an opportunity to sell their stock at inflated prices, um so did they or is the lawsuit claiming stocks were inflated??? stocks always inflate when there's hype, no matter who it is, the inflation goes up without a particular product being launched to the public

this is the corporate equivalent of judge judy type civil suits, investing has an inherant risk, it would also seem strange to invest in july on the basis that you'll sell everything in october during the game's launch, i thought investment advice always wants you to avoid extremely short term plays like this

where is the lawsuit for ghosts? was there even a call of duty convention this year? activision only talked about units sold to stores, not sold to customers, it's very clear that this call of duty was not on track to be the biggest yet as their marketing always implies, it also had some crippling bugs such as constant freezing during multiplayer matches on 360 (!? their primary platform was unplayable at launch!), ps4 not maintaining 60fps, xboxone being 720p, & so on

it's unfair really, no matter what you think of the games, the developers are crunching with deadlines for our entertainment, for the investors to get richer, for the publisher to own it all, but these devs are the one at risk of getting laid off like bizarre or la noire or the saboteur devs were :mad:

to complicate things, consumers are juggling their money between new consoles &/or merely massive new games like GTA5, this is hardly the relatively stable situation we had when BF3 launched

I returned my copy of BF4 for Xbox One. That game was broke AF and I'm not going to pay $60 so EA can use me as a beta tester.

& you didnt have to pay $60... cuz it was $30 on black friday, along with multiple other sales of varying prices (unlike ghosts)

but let's say it always was $60, does it really matter if you bought it on launch or 3 months later with the bugs fixed at the same $60? if you had it at launch, you would have ranked up more & been more familiar with the game, bugs or no bugs

Arkham Origins suffered from this too.
But seriously, since Timegate got sued because Colonial Marines looked awful compared to the demo, every Tom Dick and Harry is sueing any game company because something isn't as it was stated. Whether they should be allowed to or not, I guess the courts will decide. This just means instead of EA teasing or giving out information regarding a game release, they're just not going to say a god damn thing in case investor 1 year later sue them for saying something.

The sad part is, EA have tried so hard not to be hated recently, and I can't help but think they've just brought it upon themselves...

rcoon you have leet thanks as of now

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
i'm not siding with ea per se, but this lawsuit is stupid... all dice games are riddled with bugs, but of course game crashes at every map change on pc+ps4 is quite a big one sure

the investor dates dont quite make sense... how is any publisher or developer supposed to know how a game will launch 3 months in advance, that's how this industry works

one of the suits claimed EA executives had an opportunity to sell their stock at inflated prices, um so did they or is the lawsuit claiming stocks were inflated??? stocks always inflate when there's hype, no matter who it is, the inflation goes up without a particular product being launched to the public

this is the corporate equivalent of judge judy type civil suits, investing has an inherant risk, it would also seem strange to invest in july on the basis that you'll sell everything in october during the game's launch, i thought investment advice always wants you to avoid extremely short term plays like this

where is the lawsuit for ghosts? was there even a call of duty convention this year? activision only talked about units sold to stores, not sold to customers, it's very clear that this call of duty was not on track to be the biggest yet as their marketing always implies, it also had some crippling bugs such as constant freezing during multiplayer matches on 360 (!? their primary platform was unplayable at launch!), ps4 not maintaining 60fps, xboxone being 720p, & so on

it's unfair really, no matter what you think of the games, the developers are crunching with deadlines for our entertainment, for the investors to get richer, for the publisher to own it all, but these devs are the one at risk of getting laid off like bizarre or la noire or the saboteur devs were :mad:

to complicate things, consumers are juggling their money between new consoles &/or merely massive new games like GTA5, this is hardly the relatively stable situation we had when BF3 launched

& you didnt have to pay $60... cuz it was $30 on black friday, along with multiple other sales of varying prices (unlike ghosts)

but let's say it always was $60, does it really matter if you bought it on launch or 3 months later with the bugs fixed at the same $60? if you had it at launch, you would have ranked up more & been more familiar with the game, bugs or no bugs

rcoon you have leet thanks as of now

ahahaha 1337 :D ... i also prefer a delayed launch than a half assed retail

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This reminds me of that viral video of the kid having a wild tantrum on his bed when he got beat by his brother! :laugh:

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

So you wanted me to foretell the future and wait for a Black Friday deal for the game to be discounted?

It doesn't even matter how much it costs. EA keeps doing the same thing. They have an open "beta" for their games, they fix nothing because it's too close to launch, effectively making this "beta" a demo to build hype. Then they release the "final" product in a broke ass state. Really what they've done is trick everyone into buying a game at full price so they can perform their beta test on OUR money instead of THEIRS.

They did it with BF3, MOH: Warfighter, Sim City, and now BF4.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

And why Star Citizen will make everybody wet their pants. A game for gamers, by gamers and without publishers pushing it. I really ought to buy a ship soon.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

deal with it! its not going to be the first time or last time any game manufacturer made a buggy game.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Didnt EA want to rush the launch to beat CoD to the shelves? This is what i heard on most forums at least. Also that dev from DICE who gave his own version of what happened on reddit never said anything about investors being involved, but then again they the people who deal with the game and not Public Relations like EA does but that doesnt stop DICE getting flamed Because They are the people behind the game and when it doesnt work properly - Its their fault not EA's who have a bigger part in BF4 being terrible then people care to admit and realise.

I think a lot more people would understand and be OK with the whole idea of a game being delayed so long as it was definitely W.I.P and being polished just to make sure it would be running smoothly on launch day. Instead they pissed the whole community off and its got to a point where even their patches come with new bugs....

SO I dunno the real story here but either way, EA deserves to be put on the pedestal and held to account of any negative pressure they put on DICE to rush the release of a game which is clearly unfinished.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I'm not sidin with EA, I'm not sidin with the investors, and I'm not sidin with whoever keeps buying EA's shiet then complaining, you should know better now.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm not sidin with EA, I'm not sidin with the investors, and I'm not sidin with whoever keeps buying EA's shiet then complaining, you should know better now.

then why even bother posting in a BF/EA related thread if you have nothing to add to it?

Thanks for sharing your opinion at least, though your sentiments would feel more at home on reddit I feel.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
If EA wanted to make a real effort not to be hated, they need to cut some upper management jobs/payroll. They are so desperate to make money and keep their yachts afloat that they make bad decisions. Frankly, that won't happen. Publishers are ruining the industry as they're sucking up all the money and don't really care who or what they take advantage of to get that money be it their employees or customers.

The biggest bastards are the gamers, they are the ones buying the games after all. Not to mention gamers seem to like games that aren't that good (the examples work for me, but CoD works as well). It's the same as the movie industry, the blockbusters are more or less boring, because they are safe bets. Take the comic movies, there are millions and millions of good stories that would make perfect movies, but with those budgets they need safe bets. And at this point big games is fantastically expensive to make, so they need to be safe too. It's why kickstarter is so interesting. The big problem is: There is endless bitching about these matters, but that doesn't matter shit because people still que to buy the games. Honestly if I was a big executive in this bussiness I too would milk the suckers for all they are worth.

Things have calmed down a bit though. I get the feeling the companies are trying to come across as friendlier (I have no idea if that feeling is founded on reality); I suppose that's a start.

EDIT: So it's nice to see people like @John_Abraham, who does what he can with what his got, which is denying them money.

EDIT again: Btw, here's an excellent piece from the head of Paradox Dev Studio (Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis etc).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/10814-Respect-Your-Gamer

Last edited:
I'm happy to see you agree with me, but to call Mass Effect, Skyrim, and Borderlands "[not] that good"? Are you kidding me right now?

So you wanted me to foretell the future and wait for a Black Friday deal for the game to be discounted?

It doesn't even matter how much it costs. EA keeps doing the same thing. They have an open "beta" for their games, they fix nothing because it's too close to launch, effectively making this "beta" a demo to build hype. Then they release the "final" product in a broke ass state. Really what they've done is trick everyone into buying a game at full price so they can perform their beta test on OUR money instead of THEIRS.

They did it with BF3, MOH: Warfighter, Sim City, and now BF4.

i dont remember warfighter having issues, think bf3 was in better shape, sim city was messed up ya

what i found interesting is the bf4 beta ran fine for many people didnt it? without crashes on map change (i played beta only, not buying yet, barely got bf3 in august, but have watched a guy stream & a couple friends play bf4 at launch without too much fuss)

about the sale, i should clarify, first BF3 had the exact same thing happen, & generally a lot of us are wary to preorder or buy things on launch since so many games either have issues that need to be patched or merely servers being overloaded, so to me... if it's $60 on launch yet still $60 in a few months, i would read up to see if anything bad is happening to a particular game, as a bonus a random sale might appear so i could end up saving money

reminds me, GTA online was a mess when it first unlocked, on top of being activated after the game came out (the retail release was delayed by a few months earlier as well?)

so basically, most giant complex multiplayer or open world games have problems, humans are building these after all, couple that with certain publishers having a history of good or bad launches & we have a lot more variables to help us decide to wait

Somehow, CoD manages to release with hardly any issues for the last few years. It's not because they are made by humans, it's because they don't have proper beta tests.

In the case of GTA Online, GTA V itself is a game worth $60, in my opinion. GTA Online is an added bonus. Yes, I was irritated that the servers weren't working when Online launched, but I had already gotten 40 hours of enjoyment out of the single player without even hitting 70% completion so I wasn't too upset.

ghosts was freezing in multiplayer on 360, i dont think that's ever happened before (pc blackops sure, then they did some cpu utilization patch)

it also had the blobs of light for both ati & nv users on pc

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
You use CoD/MoH as an example but dont forget that CoD & its clones are a lot less complicated then the BF series of games which requires a shit ton more game mechanics and such with the amount of shit they put into the games.

The Frostbite engine is probably a lot more harder to work on given how technically advanced it is compared to the ID Tech (ID Software) engine no matter how heavily modified it is.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
I'm happy to see you agree with me, but to call Mass Effect, Skyrim, and Borderlands "[not] that good"? Are you kidding me right now?
To be fair, the only game on that list I'd call "good" is Borderlands (the first one).