• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer is turns on and off repeatedly

Processor i7 6900k @ 4.3GHZ
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon
Cooling CPU/GPU loop with 480mm and 360mm radiators
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz C15
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA 1080 SC ACX @ 1830/1330
Storage Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, WD 2TB Black HDD
Case Corsair 900D
Power Supply EVGA 850W Gold 80 plus PSU
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hey guys,

So I just got a new case, and once I had transferred everything over, I was unable to boot up the PC properly. When I first booted up, I smelt something like burning rubber, and immediately pulled the power. Now when I turn it on, it simply shuts down immediately and then repeats about 5 seconds later. When this happens, I can hear what sounds like a click coming from the power supply.

So far I have tried taking each individual part out and testing them separately. I even disconnected all the fans, and when I removed all of the RAM and attempted to boot up, there was no beeping noise. I have even used different power supply cables in different power sockets and I ensured every connection was secure.

I made sure that the Power SW, Reset SW and HDD LED where all in the correct place, I then did also remove them and attempted a manual start up; same issue.

As suggested, I connected a paperclip to the PSU to Motherboard power cable, with one end at black and the other at green. When I then booted up, the fans stayed on until I pulled the power.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help I have been given so far.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
turns itself on an off repeatedly??? Sounds like a job for an exorcist~ grab your nearest bible and start chanting for the evil spirit to go towards the light.

------
Otherwise.

Have you tried inspecting your hardware for the source of the burning smell? Something could be fried. If you smell burning its usually not very wise to keep powering the machine on and off cuz if the PSU is unstable and its the overcurrent protection thats kicking in and turning the PC off then you risk frying anything and everything connected to your PSU, All it takes is that burst of high voltage and youre looking at an RMA or buying a new PC.

Strip everything out, find the source of the burning smell and inspect the hardware - especially the motherboard for black marks on the PCB where something could have fried.

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
turns itself on an off repeatedly??? Sounds like a job for an exorcist~ grab your nearest bible and start chanting for the evil spirit to go towards the light.

------
Otherwise.

Have you tried inspecting your hardware for the source of the burning smell? Something could be fried. If you smell burning its usually not very wise to keep powering the machine on and off cuz if the PSU is unstable and its the overcurrent protection thats kicking in and turning the PC off then you risk frying anything and everything connected to your PSU, All it takes is that burst of high voltage and youre looking at an RMA or buying a new PC.

Strip everything out, find the source of the burning smell and inspect the hardware - especially the motherboard for black marks on the PCB where something could have fried.
I will do that now. Originally I had thought that it was coming from a fan but I am not sure now.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Check the fans too - You wont know what it is thats burnt or blown out,

If you have a spare power supply handy - try using that to 'dry test' the parts outside of the case, It can be a lot of effort but you need to isolate the problem and correct it otherwise you aint ever gonna get your PC running again.

Anything thats connected to the board can potentially cause the overvoltage protection in the PSU to kick in if its damaged. so check any expansion cards you may have plugged in, GPUs, Video Capture cards, Network Cards, Soundcards etc, check'em all.

You might think its a little OTT but thats how it all works, fried caps or resistors in any hardware can potentially trigger an outage/O.C.P because the electrical circuit isnt complete ~yadayadayada.

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
Check the fans too - You wont know what it is thats burnt or blown out,

If you have a spare power supply handy - try using that to 'dry test' the parts outside of the case, It can be a lot of effort but you need to isolate the problem and correct it otherwise you aint ever gonna get your PC running again.

Anything thats connected to the board can potentially cause the overvoltage protection in the PSU to kick in if its damaged. so check any expansion cards you may have plugged in, GPUs, Video Capture cards, Network Cards, Soundcards etc, check'em all.

You might think its a little OTT but thats how it all works, fried caps or resistors in any hardware can potentially trigger an outage/O.C.P because the electrical circuit isnt complete ~yadayadayada.
I carefully inspected everything and I cannot see any marks, however, the primary graphics card and power sw, reset sw and HDD led headers do smell of what I smelt earlier.

I believe that what I may have done was plug a fan LED connector into the headers on the motherboard and this may have fried the headers, i can't work out why the primary card smells though :(

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I carefully inspected everything and I cannot see any marks, however, the primary graphics card and power sw, reset sw and HDD led headers do smell of what I smelt earlier.

I believe that what I may have done was plug a fan LED connector into the headers on the motherboard and this may have fried the headers, i can't work out why the primary card smells though :(

I did something similar to this once with a real old power supply - I ended up melting the plastic around the cables and it was extremely hot to touch.

If its not too much trouble, take the PSU out of the case if you havent already done so and try to put the system together outside of the case for a dry run.

Dont attach or plug anything into the headers but use a small flathead screwdriver to trip the board into powering up. all you need for starters & test purposes are just the CPU, GPU & PSU hooked up. everything else can wait but you need to establish if the GPU is faulty since you said it smells funny.

If nothing comes on screen try testing the setup with another graphics card if you can borrow one from a friend or get one dirt cheap - It doesnt matter what it is so long as its PCI-Ex and is in working condition - All you need to see is something come up on screen when you power the system up.

If nothing comes on screen even if you switch the GPU with another then unfortunately the board has gone kaput and theres not much you can do about it.

::EDIT::

Oh and try clearing CMOS if nothing comes up screen

Last edited:
Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
I did something similar to this once with a real old power supply - I ended up melting the plastic around the cables and it was extremely hot to touch.

If its not too much trouble, take the PSU out of the case if you havent already done so and try to put the system together outside of the case for a dry run.

Dont attach or plug anything into the headers but use a small flathead screwdriver to trip the board into powering up. all you need for starters & test purposes are just the CPU, GPU & PSU hooked up. everything else can wait but you need to establish if the GPU is faulty since you said it smells funny.

If nothing comes on screen try testing the setup with another graphics card if you can borrow one from a friend or get one dirt cheap - It doesnt matter what it is so long as its PCI-Ex and is in working condition - All you need to see is something come up on screen when you power the system up.

If nothing comes on screen even if you switch the GPU with another then unfortunately the board has gone kaput and theres not much you can do about it.

::EDIT::

Oh and try clearing CMOS if nothing comes up screen
I tried 3 different GPUs and the same thing was happening, boot up then shut down and nothing comes up on the screen.

How do i clear the cmos?

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Does the PSU trip automatically or do you turn off at mains?

Theres usually a set of jumpers on the board you can switch to reset the bios if not totally unplug the power, and remove the battery from the motherboard that looks like this

Unplug the power and leave the battery out for at least 5mins then plug it back in, and try again.

If this doesnt work then its most likely that the board is totally fried - even though voltage is running through it and it starts up some of the components on it are dead.

Also. What are the pc specs btw? It might be that your power supply is too weak to power the system and has caused it to overload

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
Does the PSU trip automatically or do you turn off at mains?

Theres usually a set of jumpers on the board you can switch to reset the bios if not totally unplug the power, and remove the battery from the motherboard that looks like this

Unplug the power and leave the battery out for at least 5mins then plug it back in, and try again.

If this doesnt work then its most likely that the board is totally fried - even though voltage is running through it and it starts up some of the components on it are dead.

Also. What are the pc specs btw? It might be that your power supply is too weak to power the system and has caused it to overload

It boots up then shuts down by itself, all i do is turn it on and it repeats the process until i pull the power.
I have:
I7 3770k with a h100i, oced at 4.7 Ghz
32GB DDR3 RAM at 2400 Mhz
128GB samsung 840 pro, 750GB samsung 840 evo
1TB WDCB
Matrix HD7970
HD7990
2 LED 200mm fans
2 LED 140mm fans
3 120 mm fans

All in a phantom 820 case with a corsair HX 1050 80 plus gold PSU
The motherboard is an Asus maximus formula v eATX motherboard.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, if clearing the Cmos doesnt work, then the board is gone. you will need to RMA it. you might also want to RMA the PSU as well to be on the safe side. Even though overcurrent protection kicks in and shuts the system down. having the system turn on and off so many times especially when something is fried that triggering overcurrent protection to kick in is not good for it. And I know it aint because I had the exact same thing happen with an Antec PSU and that PSU ended up killing 2 4870s before i replaced it.

If the parts are new, the retailer should accept both the board & PSU for RMA, However if they dont take the PSU then we have a corsair rep lurking around here who im sure will be more than happy to step in and help if things get tough.

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, if clearing the Cmos doesnt work, then the board is gone. you will need to RMA it. you might also want to RMA the PSU as well to be on the safe side. Even though overcurrent protection kicks in and shuts the system down. having the system turn on and off so many times especially when something is fried that triggering overcurrent protection to kick in is not good for it. And I know it aint because I had the exact same thing happen with an Antec PSU and that PSU ended up killing 2 4870s before i replaced it.

If the parts are new, the retailer should accept both the board & PSU for RMA, However if they dont take the PSU then we have a corsair rep lurking around here who im sure will be more than happy to step in and help if things get tough.
Thanks, i really appreciate your help. I was given an estimated wait time of 10-12 weeks to RMA the mobo which will just not work. I guess I will just have buy a new one and sell the asus if they replace it.

As for the psu, i believe i can still return it to the store from which i bought it ad i purchased an extended warranty on all parts (knowing i would do something stupid :p). Unfortunately they no longer stock the motherboard though.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Also on second thoughts you might wanna try getting a PSU with a little more umph. AMD Recommends 750w for a single 7990 & 500w for a single 7970. 750+500= 1250w and thats just for graphic cards alone. 7990 doesnt just drink, it guzzles.

Units to look at are Silverstone Strider 1500w or a 1500w from any of the Enermax range.

In all honesty, its probably best to sell off the 7990 and get another 7970 or sell all for a 290x in crossfire If you still wanna be on the Xtreme side of things

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
I
Also on second thoughts you might wanna try getting a PSU with a little more umph. AMD Recommends 750w for a single 7990 & 500w for a single 7970. 750+500= 1250w and thats just for graphic cards alone. 7990 doesnt just drink, it guzzles.

Units to look at are Silverstone Strider 1500w or a 1500w from any of the Enermax range.

In all honesty, its probably best to sell off the 7990 and get another 7970 or sell all for a 290x in crossfire If you still wanna be on the Xtreme side of things
I actually have 2 7970s and a 7990, do you think i should sell a 7990 and 7970 and get 2 290x's?

EDIT: also, where would you recommend selling them?

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Lol, You werent trying to run all 3 cards at once were you? If thats the case then its no wonder the PSU is tripping.

what res do you game at and how many monitors do you run? If you game at 1080p then a 290x is overkill. two 7970s are still great for most things and a 1050w or 1200w can easily power your system. even 290Xs in crossfire can be power by a 1000w PSU.

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
Lol, You werent trying to run all 3 cards at once were you? If thats the case then its no wonder the PSU is tripping.

what res do you game at and how many monitors do you run? If you game at 1080p then a 290x is overkill. two 7970s are still great for most things and a 1050w or 1200w can easily power your system. even 290Xs in crossfire can be power by a 1000w PSU.

Hahaha no I wasn't trying to run all 3 xD
I run 3 1080p monitors

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Im no expert on multi-monitor gaming setups but a single 290X should be able to power 3 monitors. You might need to turn AA down if not off completely in a few games but I dont see why it cant run 3 monitors well.

If money is no object then why the hell not crossfire providing you can put up with AMDs driver issues when it comes to crossfire.

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
Im no expert on multi-monitor gaming setups but a single 290X should be able to power 3 monitors. You might need to turn AA down if not off completely in a few games but I dont see why it cant run 3 monitors well.

If money is no object then why the hell not crossfire providing you can put up with AMDs driver issues when it comes to crossfire.

Haha yeah I am well used to crossfire issues. Do you think I would actually get anything for a second hand 7990 (barely even used) and if so, would it be best to sell on ebay?

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Id say you could possibly get decent money for it. The card is still a beast, definitely more powerful then a single 290X, no doubt about it.

You could sell it on ebay or post it up in the TPU classifieds section and see if anyone wants. Someone will definitely want it, maybe put a waterblock on it and have it farm bitcoins like no tomorrow.

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
Id say you could possibly get decent money for it. The card is still a beast, definitely more powerful then a single 290X, no doubt about it.

You could sell it on ebay or post it up in the TPU classifieds section and see if anyone wants. Someone will definitely want it, maybe put a waterblock on it and have it farm bitcoins like no tomorrow.

Ah true xD

Where about is the classifieds section?

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ah true xD

Where about is the classifieds section?

--->Here<---

Read the rules before you post there though or the mods will lock your thread.

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
--->Here<---

Read the rules before you post there though or the mods will lock your thread.

I feel like it would be easier for me to sell it on Ebay as I have done so with other items in the past and have good feedback. What I don't understand though is why there are no listings under $1250 and several above $2000, when I bought mine for $899. For example this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VTX3D-Ra...PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item338567aa89&_uhb=1

Seeing these fluctuations in price make me want to list it for something cheeky, but knowing what I paid for it, I know it should list it for a reasonable price. Say If you were looking for a second hand 7990, what do you think would be a reasonable price?

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I feel like it would be easier for me to sell it on Ebay as I have done so with other items in the past and have good feedback. What I don't understand though is why there are no listings under $1250 and several above $2000, when I bought mine for $899. For example this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VTX3D-Ra...PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item338567aa89&_uhb=1

Seeing these fluctuations in price make me want to list it for something cheeky, but knowing what I paid for it, I know it should list it for a reasonable price. Say If you were looking for a second hand 7990, what do you think would be a reasonable price?

usually its about 25% to 40% from new price ($899 >> $650 maybe) but it depends on the package, like box, driver and other accessories

Case Corsair 900D
Software Windows 10 Pro
usually its about 25% to 40% from new price ($899 >> $650 maybe) but it depends on the package, like box, driver and other accessories

ahh right. I do Have the original box, minus the packaging. I also have the power pins, crossfire cable, CD with drivers and the manual. I geuss I'll try it at 600-650. Thanks :)

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Sounds to me like you have a short. You used the standoffs for the motherboard right?

System Name Coffee | Maximus
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.2 GHz with AVX, 4.8 GHz cache clock | i7 9700KF @ 5.0 GHz/4.7 GHz cache
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Formula | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger (modded BIOS for Coffee Lake)+TPM2.0 module
Cooling Cooler Master ML240 Illusion | Cooler Master ML120L RGB
Memory 2*16 GB (32 GB) Kingston Fury Beast @3600 MHz CL17 | 4*8 GB (32 GB) HyperX Fury @3200 MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB Twin Edge | Galax RTX 2060 Super 8 GB
Storage Samsung PM981a 1TB NVMe+480GB SATA SSD+2 TB HDD | Crucial P5 1TB, Crucial P1 500GB+2.5TB HDDs
Display(s) LG OLED 55 G3, 4K 120 Hz, VRR, ALLM, GSync, FreeSync | Samsung 43AU9070 4K TV, VRR, ALLM
Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB | Lianli Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE | Realtek ALC1150 (Supreme FX)
Power Supply ASUS ROG Strix 750G (80+ Gold) | Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 (80+ Bronze)
Mouse Cooler Master MM731 19000 DPI gaming mouse
Keyboard Cooler Master CK721 65% mechanical gaming keyboard (tactile)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 |Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 MT 4200,ST 547 CPU-Z MT 4871, ST 620 | R20 MT - 4158, ST - 534, CPU-Z MT 4798, ST 603
While transferring the setup to the new chassis, you sure that you used jump offs where necessary and used the board risers?