• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Rolls Out G-Sync Upgrade Kit for ASUS VG248QE

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
FYI, variable refresh technologies like G-Sync actually make a larger difference on multi-card setups than on single card configurations since frame time variability increases with the more cards you have.
for your info head over to tom petersons demo of gsync, despite his waffle there is still clear and visible stuttering and it actually looks like more of a waste of money to me now, ill have to check it out in the flesh but it's not looking like the holy grail to me, and ive done many a multi gpu rig ,i have an sli rig today so I do know what you are implieing however i have also seen endless BS waffle about Nvidias smooth as butter Sli profiles and frame pacing management.

So which is it,Do Nvidia have sli sorted and frame pacing sorted via driver or do we NEED to be spending big bucks for what appears a lack lusster fix anyway's(my impressions of petersons demo were not good)

Nvidia chat some right chowder either way.

Lots of butthurt going on in the comment section over a product that is clearly not for everyone. If you're not into a product, simply, don't buy it. One commenter even calling potential customers "idiots".

Seriously? Is this how you keep a fair and open mind about technology on a site that is dedicated to tech and tech news for the novice all the way to the enthusiast?

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

On topic: $200 is out of my price range, if it were possible to upgrade my monitor with G-Sync. But, I don't have the monitor so, clearly, this affects me in no way.

Also, considering this is new tech (as with all new tech), the price will be at a premium. When it becomes more common or as time past, I'm sure the price will go down.

I think it's nice that Asus/Nvidia are giving owners of this monitor an option to upgrade their premium monitors without having to shell out $500+ for essentially the same thing in a few months.

Edit: I have a question of my own: How much would a monitor like this cost WITH G-Sync enabled if and when it's released in the market? Keep it mind it would need to have these features including G-Sync.

$465 (Monitor w/ G-Sync Mod) DIY seems like it would still be cheaper then to wait for one of the manufacturers to come out with a comparable monitor.

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
This is ridiculous.

I was under the impression you would remove a plastic flap/cover (like on a remote) on back of lcd insert the gync card and be done.

This is a full teardown.

System Name Purity Control
Processor Intel i5 2500
Motherboard ASRock H61 Pro BTC
Cooling Grand Kama Cross 2
Memory 8 GB Corsair XMS 3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 750 Ti Storm X OC
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Westen Digital Black 500 GB
Display(s) Asus VX239H-W 24 inch
Case Bitfenix NEOS (All white)
Audio Device(s) Integrated (VIA® VT1705 Audio Codec)
Power Supply Corsair CX 430
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
I wonder if ASUS or NVIDIA will honor the warranty once you stuff it all up and have to send a plastic bag of parts of your shiny and wonderful gaming monitor back to them for repair. $200 for that privilage, no thank you.

System Name wutLulz
Processor AMD FX8350 @ 4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI 990FXA-G65
Cooling Corsair H100i Push Pull
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @1600Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI R9 290 4GB OC Gaming Edition
Storage WD Caviar Black 1Tb
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE @144hz
Case NZXT Phantom White
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX PCie
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
I wonder if ASUS or NVIDIA will honor the warranty once you stuff it all up and have to send a plastic bag of parts of your shiny and wonderful gaming monitor back to them for repair. $200 for that privilage, no thank you.

people don't realise there is a market outside USA.. compared to US prices it would basically cost USD900-USD1100 for a G-Sync Asus VG248QE here in my country. i know the monitor alone without G-Sync costs 650USD, i have one, So that would put the Module alone at Around 300-400USD.

SO curiously though, ASUS VG248QE should in fact support VBLANK.. since it supports G-sync... TBH i have a feeling ALL G-Sync Compatible monitors support VBLANK.. so Freesync should work on it.

As i understand how G-Sync works, the nVidia GPUs DO NOT Support variable refresh rates internally, thus proprierty modules have to be made in order for the monitor to function in this manner.

AMD's solutions on the other hand... have been doing this... for a while.. from the GPU chip itself. So my question is did nVidia shoot itself in the foot to market this tech so extensively as they did, though there has been a standard for a while.

As I understand the monitor has to be able to communicate directly with the AMD GPU in order for FreeSync to work for example and VBLANK needs to be supported. which i would say all 5 star energy rated LCDs should already have this, no matter if its desktop or laptop, as it can only be achieved with that rating.
The G-Sync Module is needed in order for the monitor to communicate directly with the nVidia GPU as its missing the instruction set completely from the GPU. In actual fact if nVidia wanted to level the field they'd "rework" maxwell to have this included on the PCB.

BUT raping wallets comes first so, this will only be available 3-4 generations later from kepler, without the need for a module as its built onto the PCB of the GPU in 2016-2018.

Book mark my Post, I'll give the first person to say I accurately predicted the market
1 Bitcoin in 4 Years. 17-01-2018

Enthusiasts would't just buy one, for multi-monitor setups the g-sync alone goes for 600 bucks not to mention the price of the monitors.

Those enthusiast would be out of luck.

Blur Blusters said:
Currently, G-SYNC only works on the primary monitor at this time, with current NVIDIA drivers.

Oh, well.

why would i not want g-sync? serious question. based on what nvidia says it seems like i should get it???
NVIDIA G-SYNC is groundbreaking new display technology that delivers the smoothest and fastest gaming experience ever. G-SYNC’s revolutionary performance is achieved by synchronizing display refresh rates to the GPU in your GeForce GTX-powered PC, eliminating screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag. The result: scenes appear instantly, objects look sharper, and gameplay is super smooth, giving you a stunning visual experience and a serious competitive edge.

It depends what your playing as well.

Nvidia won't.

Nvidia G-Sync DIY Kit Disclaimer said:
Note that unless directly caused by NVIDIA’s own negligence, NVIDIA is not responsible for any product damage or warranty issues, including, but not limited to, the voiding of a third party product warranty that may occur by using, integrating or substituting the warrantied product with or into third party product.

Last edited:
I can't find it now, but nVidia had a disclaimer on their site where they specifically said they weren't liable if you buggered your monitor installing G-Sync. Obviously, Asus isn't going to cover a product that you've completely replaced the electronics on.

Edit: Xzibit found it.

I can't find it now, but nVidia had a disclaimer on their site where they specifically said they weren't liable if you buggered your monitor installing G-Sync. Obviously, Asus isn't going to cover a product that you've completely replaced the electronics on.

Not only that.

They also have a "Incase you sue us".

Nvidia G-Sync DIY Installation Guide said:
NOTE: THIS AGREEMENT CONTAINS A BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION/JURY TRIAL WAIVER
PROVISION THAT AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF THE
BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER PROVISIONS AS DESCRIBED HEREIN

You need to write to them saying you want to Opt Out with-in 30 days of purchase. Sneaky!

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
Seriosuly, F**K this crap and F**K these corporate shitbags who think they are our overlords or something.

So I'm paying to lose privileges and support closed standards that do don't really do much to begin with? Cool, they should have just named it "PhySynX" and parade it as a testament of what enough money and PR bullshittery can do to people, aka "the gaming industry".

And ASUS is no better, really, just now release a 120Hz 1440 monitor? How convenient. You just know people will buy it just because of that, and not because of GSync, either because it doesn't attract them and/or are running a GPU of another make (Fermi and older, AMD, Intel, hybrid Virtu stuff and so on...).

System Name ROG GT-R
Processor Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB X2
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR
Power Supply COUGAR CMX 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Seriosuly, F**K this crap and F**K these corporate shitbags who think they are our overlords or something.

So I'm paying to lose privileges and support closed standards that do don't really do much to begin with? Cool, they should have just named it "PhySynX" and parade it as a testament of what enough money and PR bullshittery can do to people, aka "the gaming industry".

And ASUS is no better, really, just now release a 120Hz 1440 monitor? How convenient. You just know people will buy it just because of that, and not because of GSync, either because it doesn't attract them and/or are running a GPU of another make (Fermi and older, AMD, Intel, hybrid Virtu stuff and so on...).

While you are right about the 120hz 1440p incentive i consider the fact that G-sync is included as icing on the cake and a bonus especially since ive been wanting G-sync as well. The PG278Q is an all-in-one package for me. Could care less about it being an IPS panel since i already have a 1440p IPS :D

Processor Intel Core i7 5930K
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme [BIOS 1502]
Cooling Corsair H110i GT
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum - 32GB (4x8GB) @ 2666Mhz C15
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Storage Samsung SM951 M.2 512GB
Display(s) ASUS RoG PG278Q
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Sound
Power Supply Corsair AX1500i
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Logitech G19 v1
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
$99.99 could have been an option to consider.

$200? Thanks but no thanks.

UPDATE: Just saw the video. Even $99.99 sounds too much for this hassle. $79.99 to consider this NVIDIA, make it more expensive and you will be giving this away for free with SHIELDS soon.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

But they are our overlords.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
$99.99 could have been an option to consider.

$200? Thanks but no thanks.

UPDATE: Just saw the video. Even $99.99 sounds too much for this hassle. $79.99 to consider this NVIDIA, make it more expensive and you will be giving this away for free with SHIELDS soon.
Agree. This gimmick should sell for ~50$. Seriously. Maybe in real life is different, but from ALL the videos I've seen , no way I can justify paying more than 50$ for this. Seriously!

Processor Intel i5-3570k @ 4.2
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Formula
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX780 FTW
Storage Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid SSD | Seagate Barracuda 250GB
Display(s) 24" 144hz ASUS VG248QE
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ASUS OnboardFX
Power Supply Seasonic SS-1050XM
Software Windows 7 64-bit
I'm not sure how any of you can call this a gimmick or garbage without seeing it for yourself. You cannot, under any circumstance, get a sense of what G-SYNC is by watching a video about it online. It's something you have to experience for yourself, and everyone who has reviewed it and/or demoed it (A good friend of mine included, who modded his monitor) all say there is a very clear gaming improvement, and in some cases, a vast improvement. This technology far surpasses v-sync and adaptive v-sync and while it's useless for a casual gamer, a gaming hobbyist will definitely want to take advantage of this technology.

I also agree that the price of this DIY kit is too expensive right now, but what do you expect with brand new tech? If you buy the monitor and a DIY kit you're out $470 US. However, if you wait a couple of week's, you'll be able to buy the new version of the VG248QE with g-sync already built-in for $399 which is a better deal.

And yes, while it's still a TN monitor, TN panels are still far superior to IPS panels in regards to gaming and will be until you see IPS panels that can match response times. It's also worth noting that the DIY kit DOES void your warranty with ASUS, which makes no sense to me. ASUS and Nvidia are partnered and offering this kit to upgrade existing monitors, but yet ASUS isn't allowing people to do it under warranty. Silly, but I guess understandable considering how much damage you can do if you don't know what you're doing.

So bottom-line, if you're not a gamer, then this new tech is completely worthless for you and you shouldn't even be commenting on it. For everyone else, I'm sure the price will drop once the "pre-installed" monitors go on the market and the tech becomes more widespread.

I'm not sure how any of you can call this a gimmick or garbage without seeing it for yourself. You cannot, under any circumstance, get a sense of what G-SYNC is by watching a video about it online. It's something you have to experience for yourself, and everyone who has reviewed it and/or demoed it (A good friend of mine included, who modded his monitor) all say there is a very clear gaming improvement, and in some cases, a vast improvement. This technology far surpasses v-sync and adaptive v-sync and while it's useless for a casual gamer, a gaming hobbyist will definitely want to take advantage of this technology.

I also agree that the price of this DIY kit is too expensive right now, but what do you expect with brand new tech? If you buy the monitor and a DIY kit you're out $470 US. However, if you wait a couple of week's, you'll be able to buy the new version of the VG248QE with g-sync already built-in for $399 which is a better deal.

And yes, while it's still a TN monitor, TN panels are still far superior to IPS panels in regards to gaming and will be until you see IPS panels that can match response times. It's also worth noting that the DIY kit DOES void your warranty with ASUS, which makes no sense to me. ASUS and Nvidia are partnered and offering this kit to upgrade existing monitors, but yet ASUS isn't allowing people to do it under warranty. Silly, but I guess understandable considering how much damage you can do if you don't know what you're doing.

So bottom-line, if you're not a gamer, then this new tech is completely worthless for you and you shouldn't even be commenting on it. For everyone else, I'm sure the price will drop once the "pre-installed" monitors go on the market and the tech becomes more widespread.

nVidia cuts prices when the market dictates it and not a moment sooner. If we don't see competition from AMD or the monitor companies themselves nVidia will take advantage of their monopoly. I'm afraid that's how they roll. ;)