• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Impermanent Screen Resolution

Acer Aspire 2000 (Cl32) runs WinXP/Pro/Sp3 and can be set to display in its native resolution of 1280 x 800 from its ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 video card. However, when it reboots, it reverts to 640 x 480, and often blames an absent or corrupt video driver. My remedy is to UNinstall the video driver from Device Manager and reboot, but I'd like to have native resolution without going through this 'readjustment' at every reboot. On the rare occasions that I can access the ATI Control Panel, Schemes in the Display tab, is empty. If I select 'Default Single Display' from the offered options, the SAVE button is greyed out. Any suggestions as to how I can get the native resolution to 'stick' ?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This looks like possible registry corruption, as a driver shouldn't die on a reboot.

Try using a driver cleaner and reinstalling the latest version of the driver. Also make sure that XP is fully patched, not just SP3 and see how it goes.

This looks like possible registry corruption, as a driver shouldn't die on a reboot.

Try using a driver cleaner and reinstalling the latest version of the driver. Also make sure that XP is fully patched, not just SP3 and see how it goes.

I have downloaded 'Driver-Sweeper' and will see what it can do. All XP updates have been installed.

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
Would also try cleaning your registry after uninstalling your driver with sweeper. Both in safe mode and delete any left over files before the fresh install.

Would also try cleaning your registry after uninstalling your driver with sweeper. Both in safe mode and delete any left over files before the fresh install.
Bad news - 'running' the DriverSweeper results in 'a device attached to the system is not functioning'.
Since you mentioned the Registry, I must tell you that I have done some very extensive search-and-deletes in the Registry to eradicate all traces of the original 'owner' of the system as well as of unwanted programs, so a registry error is quite possible. There are numerous Registry cleaners, and I have avoided using them, (on advice from techies). So what Registry Cleaner would you recommend ? Incidentally, after originally uninstalling the video driver, I also tried to clean 'manually' the Registry of all keys (?) that mentioned ATI, Mobility and Radeon before re-installing the driver.

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
That may be the issue as you may have removed an entry that the os depended on for recognition. I have had similar issues in the past when doing this prior to using display driver uninstallers. Issues with stability and program hangs abundant. Just from deleting on board video entries by mistake. The method I mentioned works for me with my dedicated card as prior to cleaning the registry with (Pc tools) Registry mechanic I would get random install errors.
I personally have not had issues with this one and to be honest I have been using it for quite some time. Thought maybe your pc had a reg entry telling the os or on board vid to display at that resolution. So if you are not sure by all means don't try it as it is not free anyways.
Have you tried installing your latest monitor drivers? What about latest motherboard drivers from oem? And worst case backup and clean os install (ugh last resort).

As one of the many suggestion I've followed, I uninstalled the driver by means of its own uninstaller software, instead of from Device Manager. On reboot, I was able to set it to 1204 x 786, 32bit colour, and it kept returning to that resolution after multiple reboots. The PROBLEM seems to be solved, even though Device Manager shows the Video controller with a '?' Thanks for your interest.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i've dealt with this one before, and all i can suggest is using alternate video drivers and possibly a fresh install of windows. sounds like some kind of corruption.\

edit: with the post above mine, you have no graphics driver installed - performance will be very poor, and things like youtube may not work at all. try and find an updated driver from the AMD website and install that.

i've dealt with this one before, and all i can suggest is using alternate video drivers and possibly a fresh install of windows. sounds like some kind of corruption.\

edit: with the post above mine, you have no graphics driver installed - performance will be very poor, and things like youtube may not work at all. try and find an updated driver from the AMD website and install that.

I'm very confused about that as I have tested Youtube and the display is perfect.