• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How can a free web hosting be offered? I don't understand how it's possible.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Not the same site.

Their name is identical to the one you gave me, I find that odd, don't you?
You sound like you are asking for people to give you reason to doubt them, but are literally defending them at every turn. Sounds like you don't want to be convinced that they're bad after all.

webguy09

Their name is identical to the one you gave me, I find that odd, don't you?
You sound like you are asking for people to give you reason to doubt them, but are literally defending them at every turn. Sounds like you don't want to be convinced that they're bad after all.
Not really. Hostgator and Gatorhost sound the same, but I can see someone thinking of gatorhost but not realizing hostgator already existed. It's hard to find a good domain name nowadays.

Screenshot of the site I'm referring to:

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Not really. Hostgator and Gatorhost sound the same, but I can see someone thinking of gatorhost but not realizing hostgator already existed. It's hard to find a good domain name nowadays.

My screenshot was of their website's blurb text from google.

webguy09

As much as people want to believe that someone would give out of the kindness of their heart, though, it's just not how the world works. Sadly. I know I wish people would be generous and give away for free. However, it's foolish to think like that.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
As much as people want to believe that someone would give out of the kindness of their heart, though, it's just not how the world works. Sadly. I know I wish people would be generous and give away for free. However, it's foolish to think like that.

There are worse looking companies. I personally would not use them, but I see no reason for you not to trial their services for a few months, as most businesses would.

webguy09

My screenshot was of their website's blurb text from google.

I saw what you were looking at. You were looking at their keywords.

I have "cheap web design" on my own site as a keyword, but at $2500 - $3500 that's not exactly "cheap" per-se. Keywords are to get a target audience, not to express what you sell.

What they did wrong, however, is not putting a meta Description for Google to read. Keywords should not be showing up in the search engine blurbs. That's just poor web design practice though. On the other hand, their visual design and UI/UX is actually really, really good.

webguy09

Sad thing is, even if you wanted to give something away for free, you'd have a hell of a time convincing people you're actually benevolent and don't have some hidden malicious intent. In fact I've found it's really, really hard to give things away for free to people who don't know you (and aren't desperate like the homeless). Thanks to all the scammers out there.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
their visual design and UI/UX is actually really, really good.

That can be easily done by utilising a(free) templated CMS service. It's not difficult to create a free good looking website these days. Odds are most of it is imported pictures on a blank page with links.

Also, there is an "Edit" feature on this forum, I recommend you use that instead of posting twice in succession.

webguy09

That can be easily done by utilising a(free) templated CMS service. It's not difficult to create a free good looking website these days. Odds are most of it is imported pictures on a blank page with links.

true, it is remarkably easy to find templates. However, even so, the web design is pretty good. I guess as a web designer I can appreciate it.

Still, it's too high risk to use for anything important or sensitive.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

oh hell yeah, a 9.6ghz CPU. looks good.

clearly its based on referrals - they want to get heaps of people to sign up, and then later on they'll do something unpleasant - the bait and switch.

why is this thread still going?

If you are not paying for a product, you are the product.

The "free" host are either trying to suck you into an overpriced paid plan for the 1 in 10,000 accounts that host a real website for more than 30 days, an overpriced domain registration, or jamming ads onto your site. This work because you can jam an unlimited number of accounts onto a shared host...which means any type of page besides basic html is going to perform terribly. Scripting or a database, forget it. A lot of them are also scams outright.

If you need a free host that works somewhat decently, try frihost. There's some hoops to jump though, but it actually does work ok for a low traffic site, even a forum (what I used it for in the past). I really can't think of any others that are not fly-by-night type operations or ad based.

QuantumEngineer

Just out of curiousity I made an account on the site. (By using throw away email, random username and password which I wrote down)

I immediately see two large banner ads on the top and bottom of the page in the control panel :/

Also to my lulz this looks like a lot of other free hosting sites... Don't see anything unique or special about it.

If I were you I would follow the advice of almost everyone in this thread and buy a VPS.