• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Catalyst Mantle Driver Delayed

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
As mentioned in our older article from Thursday, AMD discovered a major bug with its Catalyst 14.2 driver at the last minute, which threw a wrench in the works at the company. The driver was originally slated to come out in sync with DICE' update of Battlefield 4 on Thursday. AMD now tells us that their teams have been working overnight to fix the driver, and should have their next status update for us by mid-afternoon EST (New York time), later today. That update doesn't necessarily mean a driver release at that point in time, and so AMD might be forced to label it Catalyst 14.2 beta, keeping up with its calendar-based driver version naming. Catalyst 14.1 beta was expected to ship the first public distribution of Mantle, AMD's ambitious 3D graphics API to rival Direct3D and OpenGL.

AMD also mentioned a 24 hour exclusive period for press to evaluate the driver before public release, so it looks like your download will be at least 36 hours away.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
Developers are wayyyy too stressful with these things. Take your time, guys. I don't want more unfinished products 'cause a bunch of douches decided this must come out asap.

Personally, i don't care waiting another month or so for stable drivers and support.

System Name OLD TRUSTY PC
Processor Intel i3-530 @3.7Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte H55-USB3M
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Memory Avexir Core Series 1600Mhz 4GB X 2
Video Card(s) Asus R9270-DC2OC-2GD5
Storage Kingston HyperX 128GB+2TB WD Blue
Display(s) AOC 2236vw
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Acbel 550W 80plus
Software Microsoft 7 Ultimate 64bit
Developers are wayyyy too stressful with these things. Take your time, guys. I don't want more unfinished products 'cause a bunch of douches decided this must come out asap.

Personally, i don't care waiting another month or so for stable drivers and support.
+1 for this comment.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
well atleast they found out first and try fix them. i do hope they will fix it soon. the much awaited mantle has been delayed long time and i do hope it is worth the wait.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Beats me why some companies habitually allow their PR departments to drive their software/hardware schedules.
Classic example of the tail wagging the dog
I don't think the end user factors into the equation. EA have made an art form out of half-assing their way through product launches. AMD, equally, have a record of extreme optimism in calculating software completion (Enduro, frame pacing, and GPU release drivers being relatively high profile examples). You would think that both companies might have learned not to set unrealistic deadlines at the expense of a polished product....short memories, or something worse?

Fiery

FinalWire / AIDA64 Developer
System Name Main rig
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K (stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
Cooling something big :)
Memory 4x 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) Asus Strix-GTX960-DC2-2GD5
Storage Intel 750 400GB NVMe + Samsung 830 512GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA3
Display(s) Dell 1905FP
Case Cooler Master Stacker
Audio Device(s) some integrated HD Audio
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard Logitech Internet Navigator SE
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) + AIDA64 Engineer :-)
Benchmark Scores who cares? ;-)
Beats me why some companies habitually allow their PR departments to drive their software/hardware schedules.
Without a pressure from marketing folks, developers would take years to complete something. Not because they're slow or lazy or careless, but because a software or driver is never completed, never done, never being perfect. You just release it at a point and hope that no major bugs are left in there :p Then you go on fixing existing bugs, and add some more features that will bring more bugs :) But without a strict release schedule, developers just sink into polishing certain parts of the software for many months, without having anything to roll out.

It's another question when a company keeps promising new stuff, but fails to deliver them on time in almost every case. Such companies mostly do not last as long as AMD :)

(BTW, I'm a software developer)

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Whats this...a company keeping the public appraised of bugs and actually acting responsibly and making sure the product is presentable before it is released to market?!

EA execs cry out...BLASPHEMY!!!

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory G Skill 8gb 1600 mhz X 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 7850 X 2
Storage 1 TB Velociraptor, 240GB 840 Samsung
Display(s) 27" Samsung LED X 2
Case Thermaltake V9
Power Supply Seasonic 620 W, CX600M on stand by
Software Win 8.1 64
Benchmark Scores Benches are silly
Classic example of the tail wagging the dog

I don't think the end user factors into the equation. EA have made an art form out of half-assing their way through product launches. AMD, equally, have a record of extreme optimism in calculating software completion (Enduro, frame pacing, and GPU release drivers being relatively high profile examples). You would think that both companies might have learned not to set unrealistic deadlines at the expense of a polished product....short memories, or something worse?

I agree that EA is just plain inefficient with their resources. I don't think we can say the same about AMD. Look at what they've tackled and the small amount of resources(both capital and labor) they have to work with. Mantle is a complex project. On top of that, it is not something that's in house. When you have to collaborate with other businesses like EA, your confidence to meet any deadlines drop down to 5% lol.

Without a pressure from marketing folks, developers would take years to complete something.

No, marketing is not where is pressure is. The pressure is from management and project managers. I've never seen seen marketing department set up schedules for any type of project besides their own. Each department(team) manage their own schedule and has to make it fit within the whole organizational goals. Hence the need for the CEO to tie everyone together and point them all in one direction. At least this is what is supposed to happen in an efficiently managed organization.

Last edited:
System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
Well, it was the right thing to do and I can totally get that. If there's anything to hate here it's AMD's slow driver progression (slacky developers and/or low budget dedicated to it) and QA teams for not tracking it earlier.

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Case Thermaltake V9
Software Win 8.1 64
Well, it was the right thing to do and I can totally get that. If there's anything to hate here it's AMD's slow driver progression (slacky developers and/or low budget dedicated to it) and QA teams for not tracking it earlier.

I'm 100% sure AMD's budget for their driver team is a joke. It also sounds like they don't have a large team either. If you also look at their operating expenses, it is extremely low compared to their peers. Everything points to limited resources. This is not good for AMD in the long run. I hope they find their needed sales in their console contracts and upcoming high density low power SeaMicro servers.

As of now, the word is that Rory Read will keep their expenses below $450M for the next year. That is very low for the projects they take on. It's a drop in bucket when you look at Intel's budget allocations.

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
I'm 100% sure AMD's budget for their driver team is a joke. It also sounds like they don't have a large team either. If you also look at their operating expenses, it is extremely low compared to their peers. Everything points to limited resources. This is not good for AMD in the long run. I hope they find their needed sales in their console contracts and upcoming high density low power SeaMicro servers.

As of now, the word is that Rory Read will keep their expenses below $450M for the next year. That is very low for the projects they take on. It's a drop in bucket when you look at Intel's budget allocations.
The fact that a company that is pushing so much for a ton of software-specific tie-ins to it's hardware (HSA, Mantle...). that don't make or break their hardware, but if they'd work as intended, will surely bring in sales of several magnitutes higher than now... is allocating so little resources to it's software development/partenerships is quite mind-boggling. Don't they have enough hardware concepts/researches/designs for the moment to skimp on those costs and move the money to software dev/Q&A?

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro

Right on man, totally agree with you... To many kiddy trolls. As it is the game is still an Alpha compared to BF3 with much work to be done on the back-end compared to eye candy. Balance the game out and completely nerf the MAA so both teams can flay again.

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Case Thermaltake V9
Software Win 8.1 64
The fact that a company that is pushing so much for a ton of software-specific tie-ins to it's hardware (HSA, Mantle...). that don't make or break their hardware, but if they'd work as intended, will surely bring in sales of several magnitutes higher than now... is allocating so little resources to it's software development/partenerships is quite mind-boggling. Don't they have enough hardware concepts/researches/designs for the moment to skimp on those costs and move the money to software dev/Q&A?

AMD's plan for the past decades is based on their vision of the future running tiny cores but a ton of them. Mantle is necessary to boost gaming and more specifically mobile gaming for the long term. Their servers movement direction also reflect that. Think about it, I don't see people sitting around with controllers staring at just one TV screen in the future. Every consoles this generation have already incorporated additional screens. It's obvious that future consoles, if they will still call it that, will be more mobile. You will be more connected and your senses will be bombarded with even more information. Mobile gaming will be mainstream because our hardware is getting to that point that it can handle more serious games. With high density low power cloud servers to offload processing, it is a definite future for mobile gaming.

AMD is forced to do spend resources on software because no one else will. Everyone is motivated by money and AMD's grand plan won't work if they don't pay the price 10 years before everyone else. They are basically pushing adoptions and Mantle is meant to change the traditional way of doing things. Have anyone ever wonder how mobile graphics had exponential gains in the past decade? Does anyone remember AMD sold their mobile graphics to the ARM market?

I don't think AMD will ever dominate the market like Intel did because they have historically been horrible with marketing and lack any aggression in pushing their products. As far as business tactics goes, AMD is very tame compared to all their peers.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
It's another question when a company keeps promising new stuff, but fails to deliver them on time in almost every case. Such companies mostly do not last as long as AMD :)

(BTW, I'm a software developer)

Then you must be familiar with the issue of version skew. AMD can test their (beta) drivers in house all they want, but game developers also have code waiting to test with the new (AMD) drivers. AMD can't do that testing in house, they don't have access to the unreleased code. (Yes, in this case the alpha testing almost certainly included the Frostbite developers, which is why they were able to release Mantle benchmarks.)

A company puts a beta out, first as a "restricted" beta. no big deal, just limiting the flood of reports if there is an easily found problem missed by in house testing.* Then comes an unrestricted beta, then a release candidate and so on. If there were no problems found (right!) all this would go smoothly. With more normal lluck beta and candidate release dates will bounce around like water on a hot skillet.

Is it possible to avoid this? Sure. Either don't have beta releases, or ignore all the bug reports--at least those that can't be fixed in the released version before the release date. We've all dealt with companies like that, and wish we hadn't. :-(

* It won't be missed next time, that's what regression test suites are for.

Fiery

FinalWire / AIDA64 Developer
System Name Main rig
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K (stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
Cooling something big :)
Memory 4x 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) Asus Strix-GTX960-DC2-2GD5
Storage Intel 750 400GB NVMe + Samsung 830 512GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA3
Display(s) Dell 1905FP
Case Cooler Master Stacker
Audio Device(s) some integrated HD Audio
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard Logitech Internet Navigator SE
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) + AIDA64 Engineer :-)
Benchmark Scores who cares? ;-)
Then you must be familiar with the issue of version skew. AMD can test their (beta) drivers in house all they want, but game developers also have code waiting to test with the new (AMD) drivers. AMD can't do that testing in house, they don't have access to the unreleased code. (Yes, in this case the alpha testing almost certainly included the Frostbite developers, which is why they were able to release Mantle benchmarks.)

A company puts a beta out, first as a "restricted" beta. no big deal, just limiting the flood of reports if there is an easily found problem missed by in house testing.* Then comes an unrestricted beta, then a release candidate and so on. If there were no problems found (right!) all this would go smoothly. With more normal lluck beta and candidate release dates will bounce around like water on a hot skillet.

Is it possible to avoid this? Sure. Either don't have beta releases, or ignore all the bug reports--at least those that can't be fixed in the released version before the release date. We've all dealt with companies like that, and wish we hadn't. :-(

* It won't be missed next time, that's what regression test suites are for.

Of course I'm familiar with the process. The problem with AMD is not the alpha and beta stages (those are fine and useful), but that they keep promising specific release schedules that they tend to keep missing. First they promise October, then December, then January. Then in January they keep saying it won't slip to February, when in fact it will be. Not smart to keep promising: it will make you look like an unprofessional company -- which AMD is not. After the first slip they should have stated "When it's done" or Q1 2014 or H1 2014...

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro
With the Game bundled into the new higher end cards to push sales, they of course wanted to hype Mantle to help sales. For Dice I feel it was more hype to push a game that was released in an Alpha stage, more of a win win for both, but in the end it does nothing for the end user who struggles with a game that is completely unbalanced in many ways.

BF3 is still better by far in comparison.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
I guess its good they are delaying it so AMD users don't get a botched driver release.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
AKA they're not criminals
Pretty sad, really.
Given the opportunity, they'll gladly take money out our wallets just like any other large corporation.

(And before anyone jumps in with the ATI isn't AMD excuse, bear in mind that 1. ATI's management remained largely intact after the AMD acquisition, and 2. the lawsuit covered the product line a full year under the AMD corporate ownership)

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I guess its good they are delaying it so AMD users don't get a botched driver release.
Yeah we sure dont want a snap crackel poP driver like what happened to the 590 lol

And W1zzard hows about a PM with the driver? I wont tell :peace:

Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Yeah we sure dont want a snap crackel poP driver like what happened to the 690 lol

I think the SKU you're attempting to refer to is the GTX 590....the one from nearly three years ago.

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Case Thermaltake V9
Software Win 8.1 64
System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
The idea behind mantle is purely a business decision and from what I understood from these controlled benchmarks, it is a proprietary software tool aimed at increasing performance on their hardware, particularly on the CPU side which lags heavily behind Intel. Of course we are talking only about gaming and one game in particular. So, in essence, it is aimed to be a practical marketing tool to raise their tiny market share in the niche segment of CPUs used mainly for gaming. It will never ever threaten directx as an industry standard and it will survive just as long as devs will see a benefit in working overtime.