• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

F4DE | By C4B

C4B

Hello again!

After months of wedding planning, moving to a new apartment, new job and everything else Im back, and this time with a casemod, usually Im working from scratch. I will hopefully learn a lot by this small project and get more modding experience.

In my opinion I've found the ultimate mini-itx case, the Cubitek Mini Cube. Ever since I installed a computer for a friend in this case I have been in love. It is clean-looking, has A LOT of space behind the motherboard for both cablemanagement and harddrives.

My idea of this casemod is to make a "stealth" mod. Everything will be black except for some small details that will be the small contrast to all the black. So I will start by taking the case in two parts and paint everything that isnt black. Then I will be installing a 240mm radiator in the front, yes you heard me, I will be making a big hole in that nice-looking frontpanel. But dont worry, I will be covering it up with one of the most awesome-looking radiator grills from Aquacomputer.

This is the hardware Im aiming for, most of it I already have.

MB: MSI Z87I
CPU: Intel I5 4670K
GPU: Zotac GTX 760
RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinum
SSD: Samsung 840 120gb
PSU: Be-Quiet! Dark Power Pro P10 550W
CASE: Cubitek Mini Cube

Here is a overview of the motherboard.

I didnt like the blue/alu caps so I made them and some other stuff black, F4DE in to black! :rock:

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

Last edited:

C4B

Well here is some more hardware pictures. The radiator grill I talked about from Aquacomputer, one of the most cleanlooking I seen. Also love the kind of darker shade on it.

Also got the Samsung SSD yesterday, nice design on it I think. Dont have to make a cover for this one I think.

Last of all, the waterblock for the GTX 460, I think I will go with this card. I already have it and it still got a lot of power so why not. Easy to upgrade if I get ahold of a 760 later. I will probably paint the acrylic piece black so it fits the theme even more.

I couldnt wait to do something so I painted the waterblock today. I like it, going to fit better than clear acrylic.

Before

After

Installed the waterblock and backplate to the GTX 460 and took some pictures of it together with the motherboard. I love the backplate, that and the radiator grill will make a sweet contrast to all the black.

Some Corsair Dominator Platinum would look awesome here!

Thats all for now. Im currently planning and measuring out where to put the radiator and window and stuff like that. But I will update as soon as possible. I hope you like it. While you wait I would really appreciate if you liked to check out my facebook-page. There you will find more updates, giveaways and other computer related stuff.

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

Last edited:
System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
Looking good so far. :toast:

C4B

Finally!

I got the case from Cubitek. Before I start mod it I will be making a review for my website. But I have some other pictures to share with you.

I would like to start and thank all the sponsors again for making this possible.

Thank you:
CDON.com | Be Quiet! | Cubitek | MSI

The Corsair Dominator Platinum arrived a few days ago, really nice ram.

It really fit in with the shiny backplate too!

I also got the Be Quiet! Dark Pro 10 550W power supply. Really nice package with a lot of cables and extra stuff.

Thats all for tonight... Or wait, Ill give you a sneek peak.

I think some will hate that radiator grill and the contrast to the black, I love it though. It will look even better when everything is done.

I will be back with some real updates soon. Please check out Minimalistic PC for my projects and reviews. Means alot!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman

Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Love how compact this is going to be!

C4B

Love how compact this is going to be!

Its awesome! :)

I installed the hardware to measure out where to put different things. Everything really fit together, I cant wait to paint the bare aluminium black.

As you see its not a problem to fit a 240mm radiator, this one is 30mm wide but I could have a 45mm if I wanted too.

Im thinking about having a 150mm tube res either to the right of the motherboard or where the back fan is mounted. About the back fan mount, its 80mm or 92mm, with a little violende I managed to fit a 120mm fan there though, doesnt look good though so Im thinking about having the res there instead.

One more thing, I said that I would use regular tubing for the watercooling, I changed my mind! Im going for chromed copper tubes, 12mm. Going to look awesome together with the shiny backplate and the radiator grill.

Here is my review of the case. Next thing to do is start measuring out the holes for the radiator and fans. Ill be back!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman

Last edited:

C4B

Update is here! Today I made the cutout for the front fans and radiator, just some filing to do left. I really love this radiator grill!

I also made a shroud that will cover the power supply and pump.

Thats all for tonight, Ill be back for more in a few days. I have a lot of fun stuff to share. I have many new ideas!

Stay tuned!
Johan Nyman

Last edited:

C4B

Im back for a little update. This is what I have done so far.

• Painted the case
  • Fixed the cutout for the radiator
  • Changed to MDPC black M3 screws
  • Done some sleeving and shrouds

Primer

Add some black to that!

This is how it looks. What do you think?

All black and empty.

Shiny!

Although I have some sad news, I have to drop the chromed copper tubing. I cant manage to get it working with the loop in this case, its too small for me. I having problems even with regular tubing. I still think it will look good, I will use regular transparent tubes with regular water to keep it clean.

Keep checking in!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

Last edited:

C4B

Got a small update today. The powersupply is now sleeved in all black. I tried to make the cable management as good as possible. I really love the p-clips. This is how it looks anyhow. I will cover the SSD with a plate from the front that Ive cut, so it gets the same finish as the outside case.

And this is how it will look on the inside, not completely finished though, some fancables and stuff left to sleeve.

The blue is the res and the red is the pump. I will be using a DDC pump together with EK DDC X-RES 100mm.

Im currently waiting for the res and some Noiseblocker fans. What I have to do right now is to make the coverplate for the ssd, finish the shroud and paint it, start working on the window mod.

Thanks for now!
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

Last edited:

C4B

Today I was nervous while modding, why? Because I was soldering cables to the pcb of my GTX 460. Now why did I do that? Well this is a small case, the GPU is 210mm long and the PSU 170mm, so from the powerconnector on the GPU to the PSU isnt long, why route the cables around the back of the motherboard tray and to the GPU when I can go straight to it. But soldering on computer hardware isnt my every day thing, but, I started it up and it was no problemo!

Here you see how close it is between the two.

I also added some p-clips to support the cable management on the back and made a ssd cover out of the spare material from the fan holes in the frontpanel.

Well what do you think of this casemod this far? Give me some criticism!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

Last edited:
System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
:toast:

Brilliant solution there (cables of the GraphX card).

C4B

:toast:

Brilliant solution there (cables of the GraphX card).

Thank you!

Time for a little update. I received the last hardware this week. Some Noiseblocker fans and a EK X-Res 100 DDC.

Really love these fans. 2x 120mm and 1x 92mm PWM versions of Noiseblockers Blacksilent. Really fits this mod, still looks very clean though.

This res pump combo is really nice too. I modified a DDC plexi mount from XSPC to install it in the case.

This is how I will run the loop. Im going to finish the shroud and add some fittings to it to get the tubes through it and down to the radiator.

Really love these Noiseblocker fans!

This is also how the cable management will look on the inside.

And here is the finished cablemanagement in the back.

Im pretty satisfied with it now. The molex is for the 18W DDC pump. Dont have much left to do before this project is finished.

• Clean the case.
  • Repaint.
  • Finish the shroud.
  • Finish the loop.
  • Window?

What do you think about a window mod? Do it or dont do it? Full window or a smaller one?

I will be visiting Dreamhack Winter in november to show this project and my earlier build CURV3D at the Expo they have there for a sponsor. So Ill hope I see some of you there. I also want to thank Bit-Tech for nominating me to Mod of the Month August. Go and vote for your favorites!

I am also hosting a modding contest for those who live in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland at my website. Check it out, got prizes from Bitfenix, Cubitek and others.

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

Last edited:

C4B

Hello!

It is time for another little update. I have been working on the loop a little bit, right now Im just waiting for the last three fittings then its time to fill it up!

I also finished the shroud/psu cover. Got some time today to work on the window too, just need to file and sand the edges.

Installed two fillports to the shroud and painted it black.

This is how the full shroud looks like, I like it!

This is how Im going to run the loop. Only thing left is from the CPU to the RES and down to the rad.

I also started working on a window, this is the layout Im going for. Just need to trim the edges a little bit.

What do you think?

The only things left to do is to fix the paintjob, finish the loop and fix those edges for the window. Almost done with this project, feels great!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

Last edited:
System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
The edges around the window might be "fixed" nicely by using rubber U-profiles.

Nice job, BTW.

C4B

The edges around the window might be "fixed" nicely by using rubber U-profiles.

Nice job, BTW.

I dont want to use u-profiles, I want a more cleaner look! Thanks anyway. :)

C4B

Its been too long since I updated, so here it is.

I have finished the loop, shroud and installed OS and so on. The last two things left to do is to fix some scratches and install some lights.

I dont want to use a u-channel around the window edges and I dont really know if I want to have it like now either, maybe a frame in the same finish as the radiator grill?

However, here are some pictures on how the case looks like 95% finished.

I will probably get the lights next week so I will install that as fast as possible and then start working on the final pictures.

MSI provided me with the motherboard for this mod, a MSI Z77IA-S01 and I got some sweet news regarding to this. Dreamhack Winter is now in the end of november and they have a pretty nice Expo there with a lot of big companies. I got the privilege to show this casemod at MSI's booth there. Its going to be awesome, I hope I meet some of you there.

I hope that next update includes the final pictures! This is my first "official" casemod and Im really satisfied with it, I learned a lot. I still prefer scratchbuilds though. :rock:

Ill be back!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

Last edited:
Currently somewhere around NSW, Australia
System Name hmmm... / lappy (ASUS Scar III)
Processor Intel Core i7-8086K / Intel Core i7-9750H
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Formula / ASUS G531GW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s w/ 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax and 1 x Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Fans / Stock
Memory 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600mhz / 2x16gb Kingston Hyper X Impact DDR4 2666mhz C15
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 / Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
Storage 2 x Samsung 960 EVO Plus 1tb NVME/ 1tb Intel SSDPEKNW010T8 NVME + 2tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34P / ASUS 15.6" Screen
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 White-TG + Noctua Chromax Fans / ASUS Scar III Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Logitech Z623 / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W + PROLINK PRO903WS / ASUS ADP-230GB B Power Brick
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB / Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB / ASUS Scar III Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 / Windows 10 Professional x64

C4B

Well as of right now, I say this mod is finished. It has been a lot of fun to make a real casemod, I have of course built PC's in cases before, but not modded them that much, mostly been making scratchbuilds. But I learned a lot and I think there will be more casemods from me in the future.

I was not really satisfied with my pictures so I took some more this morning from different sides and angles. Im going to talk to some friends who maybe could work on the pictures in Photoshop to make them better.

I also want to say a big thanks to all my sponsors who helped me with all this. Wouldnt be possible without them!

I also want to say thanks to everyone here for all the comments and help!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

Last edited:

C4B

Hello everyone!

Im back and Im going to remake this build. What Im going to do is upgrade the hardware aswell as the watercooling gear. I will also go for the solid chrome copper tubing idea I had at the beginning.

The new hardware will be:
MB: MSI Z87I
CPU:Intel I5 4670K
GPU: Zotac GTX 760
RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinum
SSD: Samsung 840 120gb
PSU: Be-Quiet! Dark Power Pro P10 550W
CASE: Cubitek Mini Cube

I also want to take this opportunity to announce a new sponsor:

EKWB is sponsoring me with new watercooling gear for this build! Thank you!

More updates will come soon!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

C4B

Im still waiting for all the watercooling gear from EKWB so I havent started modding yet, I need the radiator to start measure out things. I could give you some pictures of the new hardware I got though.

I got Be-Quiets silencing kit, cause Im going to make two sets of sidepanels, one with windows and one without and with silence mats on it instead.

The MSI Z87I looks really good, black caps is awesome!

This GTX 760 from Zotac is really cool to, really short cooler and it still fit a waterblock if needed.

I also want to say thank you to Caseking.de for giving me awesome prices on this hardware!

I hope I could start give you real updates soon!

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Very nice. It feels like the type of case i would personally use - small, functional, but beautiful at the same time.
The only thing that's missing is mountable HDD/ODD cage...

C4B

Very nice. It feels like the type of case i would personally use - small, functional, but beautiful at the same time.
The only thing that's missing is mountable HDD/ODD cage...

Thank you! I can really recommend the case, it is awesome. :)

Hello everyone!

I finished Cold Winter a few weeks ago so now I can focus on this build again. I have received everything from EKWB and I started working on the mod today.

I will use a 240mm XT radiator from EK now and those are 47mm thick instead of 30mm as the old one from Alphacool I had. It was already hard to fit everything with that radiator so how could I fit a thicker one?

Well I started to look around for slim fans. I knew Scythe made 10mm thick fans but I havent had good memory of those so I kept looking, finally found Prolimatech's Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 which are 15mm thick, perfect!

I ordered some of those and they really are nice, performs like regular 25mm thick fans. But it wasnt enough there either, what I did today was to cut down the frame of the fan to be able to "integrate" the fans with the radiator. I let the images explain.

As you see there is a clear difference between these fans integrated in the radiator and regular 25mm thick fans. This actually takes less space than the 30mm radiator and regular fans.

Many might think that this will totally ruin the performance of the fans. Well I removed the fan frame, but it was replaced by the frame of the radiator. I also tried it out and it still blows a lot of air through the rad, so dont worry!

Another thing I will do is to run the custom loop with chromed solid copper pipes, I had that idea from the beginning but not the knowledge, I still dont have the knowledge. :D But maybe some bigger "cojones".

I started experiment some with the pipes today.

What do you think?

I will keep working on this project as much as I can, I want to finish it because this will be my new main PC to use. Right now Im repainting the inside of the case and Im also waiting for a aluminium frame that will go around the window.

With kind regards
Johan Nyman
Minimalistic PC's

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think it looks awesome and can't wait to see some more goodies!
Keep it up :toast: