• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual-monitor gaming. Please advise

System Name Corsair Vengeance
Processor Intel i5 4670k @4.0
Motherboard Gigabyte z87x-UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Vegeance 2x4Gb 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) MSI R9 290 Gaming OC
Storage Corsair LS SSD 128Gb; WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Asus VX239H
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 Artic White
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Hi, I'm planning to buy 2 Asus VX239H (23" IPS) monitors. I will only use 1 monitor for gaming, and the other one for general use(browsing/hardware monitoring tools/watching movies). My questions are:

1. Would there be a huge performance drop in gaming compared to single monitors?
2. While gaming, If I would like to browse on my second monitor, would my game be minimized?

I am also looking at buying a single 27" IPS monitor but only at 1080p.

Please advise.

Thanks

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Id take some 120hz monitors into consideration - I know their TN panel but for 120hz makes quite a difference to gaming from what i hear.

You're not going to really see any decrease in game performance if you have a browser window open on the other monitor or anything. If you're worried about that you could just leave those programs open in the background on your current single monitor and it's going to pretty much be the same.

Yes, the game will minimize if you shift focus to another program or window. The only way to avoid the annoying monitor going black and switching is to run a game fullscreen windowed, but then you'll get a bar across the top and borders, which is annoying.

I'd take IPS panels over 120Hz ones, but that's my preference because I prefer color accuracy and viewing angles. I haven't noticed any input lag because of it, but it's hard to say since I've never played the same games on a 120Hz panel. Quite often you can overclock an IPS panel above 60Hz, but it all depends on the panel/manufacturer. However, if you're going to go 27" I highly recommend going 1440p, you will never go back to 1080. A 1080p signal stretched to 27" decreases the PPI of the monitor and can affect image quality since you normally sit so close to a computer monitor.

Cooling Corsair H100i
Display(s) Asus VX239H
Id take some 120hz monitors into consideration - I know their TN panel but for 120hz makes quite a difference to gaming from what i hear.
Hmm.. correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get a 120hz monitor, shouldn't you're FPS on games be constantly at 120 also to notice the difference? -I run a single 280x so I can barely reach 100 FPS

Cooling Corsair H100i
Display(s) Asus VX239H
You're not going to really see any decrease in game performance if you have a browser window open on the other monitor or anything. If you're worried about that you could just leave those programs open in the background on your current single monitor and it's going to pretty much be the same.

Yes, the game will minimize if you shift focus to another program or window. The only way to avoid the annoying monitor going black and switching is to run a game fullscreen windowed, but then you'll get a bar across the top and borders, which is annoying.

I'd take IPS panels over 120Hz ones, but that's my preference because I prefer color accuracy and viewing angles. I haven't noticed any input lag because of it, but it's hard to say since I've never played the same games on a 120Hz panel. Quite often you can overclock an IPS panel above 60Hz, but it all depends on the panel/manufacturer. However, if you're going to go 27" I highly recommend going 1440p, you will never go back to 1080. A 1080p signal stretched to 27" decreases the PPI of the monitor and can affect image quality since you normally sit so close to a computer monitor.

Thanks for your input. Yeah, I heard some reviews that 1080p is not good for a 27" especially that I seat 2 ft from my monitor.
Another question though. If I stick to a 23" IPS monitor, is it worth it to get another one? I can afford 2 asus VX239H(AH-IPS) monitors or 1 Dell U2312HM(IPS).

Thanks

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Hi, I'm planning to buy 2 Asus VX239H (23" IPS) monitors. I will only use 1 monitor for gaming, and the other one for general use(browsing/hardware monitoring tools/watching movies). My questions are:

1. Would there be a huge performance drop in gaming compared to single monitors?
2. While gaming, If I would like to browse on my second monitor, would my game be minimized?

I am also looking at buying a single 27" IPS monitor but only at 1080p.

Please advise.

Thanks

no real performance difference if your have a decent GPU

it depends on the game. some of my games wont minimize at all and just go into a "windowed mode" others will simply disappear off my screen. It has to do with the game itself . no one can just say it will or it wont.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Having 2 monitors and playing game on one is same as having only one, performance wise.
You will probably see a difference on desktop when the card idles - it may run a bit hotter.

Thanks for your input. Yeah, I heard some reviews that 1080p is not good for a 27" especially that I seat 2 ft from my monitor.
Another question though. If I stick to a 23" IPS monitor, is it worth it to get another one? I can afford 2 asus VX239H(AH-IPS) monitors or 1 Dell U2312HM(IPS).

Thanks

I have my laptop hooked up to my 27" and I like having two monitors, it's certainly nice, but if I could only have one I'd rather have a single 27" 1440p. I have an ASUS PB278Q.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
If you run your game on a window you may still be able to use the second monitor to read anything or constantly monitor your hardware while you game, but the second you click on anything outside the game window, you'll loose all control of it.

Also, some games will degrade their performance when running on a window mode as opposed to running full screen, it might be imperceptible but it's gonna be there.

If you go to full screen on most games, the other monitor will just go to sleep mode and won't display anything, as your video card will display on one monitor, unless you want to run on multi monitor resolution but I would not recommend it on dual monitors, as the bezels will run right down the middle of your viewpoint.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum

Thanks

1080p is just fine for 27 inches. That is what I currently game one with no jaggies or issues. Honestly I heard the same rumor that you just mentioned above. Then One day I was at best buy and saw a 1080p 27 inch monitor. Looked amazing and I bought it. So don't believe 27 inches is bad for 1080p that rumor is crap!

The only partial truth is that your image quality depends on the monitor. So you could have a crummy looking 27 inch monitor just as easily as you could have a crummy looking 24 inch monitor. Just buy decent quality and all should be fine.

Cooling Corsair H100i
Display(s) Asus VX239H
1080p is just fine for 27 inches. That is what I currently game one with no jaggies or issues. Honestly I heard the same rumor that you just mentioned above. Then One day I was at best buy and saw a 1080p 27 inch monitor. Looked amazing and I bought it. So don't believe 27 inches is bad for 1080p that rumor is crap!

The only partial truth is that your image quality depends on the monitor. So you could have a crummy looking 27 inch monitor just as easily as you could have a crummy looking 24 inch monitor. Just buy decent quality and all should be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I've decided to buy a 27" IPS 1080p monitor. My question is, since I am currently gaming using a 23" 1080p monitor, should I notice a huge performance decrease(GPU) when using a 27" 1080p monitor? please advise

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
IPS is not really for gaming... when i first got PVA display, I didn't think i would notice the pixel lag, but i did.
If you want to have the best of the both worlds, get one 120mhz and one IPS.

EDIT: the size of LCD has nothing to do with performance requirement. as long as you are using the same resolution, FPS will stay the same.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
TBH, i have never noticed a difference in performance how ever it can bug some games like clicking to far to the right side and it minimizing the game all so your idle gpu speed will most likely increase too along with power usage.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Thanks for the reply. I've decided to buy a 27" IPS 1080p monitor. My question is, since I am currently gaming using a 23" 1080p monitor, should I notice a huge performance decrease(GPU) when using a 27" 1080p monitor? please advise

No you will not loose performance it is still 1080p. The only difference you may notice (Depending on the monitor you bought) Is a performance decrease in the response time. Example: if you are coming from a "TN" Display at 2ms response and going to a 5 ms response "IPS" Panel. Which case you it really doesn't matter all that much for two reasons. 1. There is no real standard for measuring response time (So you may not even notice) 2. 1ms and 2ms TN monitors really seem to be a benefit to people in the competitive gaming scene (because of quick reactions), and when I speak of competitive gaming I mean competitive gaming! The people who game for a living.
When I made a similar switch I didn't notice anything. I came from an 2ms Asus monitor to a 5ms Acer monitor. I was worried about seeing ghosting and issues like that. I have yet to see and difference or ghosting. As a matter of fact the only thing I have noticed is the increase in vibrant colors and more enjoyable visuals. So for me the switch was well worth it.
On the ghosting topic, I will say some people have noticed "slight" ghosting when they switched from a TN panel to an IPS. This usually happens when coming from a high quality TN monitor with ultra low response time to a low quality IPS with ultra high response time (Such as 7ms or higher). So please make sure you do your research and see what other people are saying about the monitor you are thinking of buying.
Other great variants of displays out there that provide ultra nice colors and viewing angles are, S-IPS and PLS. Good luck on your search, let us know what you get.

Despite what people are saying, IPS monitors and any other variant of that panel, is just fine for gaming.

System Name WorstEVER
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E
Memory G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Sniper, DDR3 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.35V
Video Card(s) 7970 Matrix Platinum
Storage Samsung 840EVO / Samsung F1
Display(s) Crossover Blacktune 2763 AMG "PP"
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 Gold
Software Win7 x64 ultimate
Benchmark Scores over 9000
100% agree with 22mmrain. Im regular gamer and cant see big difference between hi hz and 60 hz monitor.
I had regular 1080p tn and swich that to ips(was like a huge leap)
then i switch it to 144hz tn and well.. didnt like that because tn offers much worse color, fullness and depth then ips.

ps. two monitor is bad idea. u will lose centerline. need to have an odd number of monitors

Cooling Corsair H100i
Display(s) Asus VX239H
No you will not loose performance it is still 1080p. The only difference you may notice (Depending on the monitor you bought) Is a performance decrease in the response time. Example: if you are coming from a "TN" Display at 2ms response and going to a 5 ms response "IPS" Panel. Which case you it really doesn't matter all that much for two reasons. 1. There is no real standard for measuring response time (So you may not even notice) 2. 1ms and 2ms TN monitors really seem to be a benefit to people in the competitive gaming scene (because of quick reactions), and when I speak of competitive gaming I mean competitive gaming! The people who game for a living.
When I made a similar switch I didn't notice anything. I came from an 2ms Asus monitor to a 5ms Acer monitor. I was worried about seeing ghosting and issues like that. I have yet to see and difference or ghosting. As a matter of fact the only thing I have noticed is the increase in vibrant colors and more enjoyable visuals. So for me the switch was well worth it.
On the ghosting topic, I will say some people have noticed "slight" ghosting when they switched from a TN panel to an IPS. This usually happens when coming from a high quality TN monitor with ultra low response time to a low quality IPS with ultra high response time (Such as 7ms or higher). So please make sure you do your research and see what other people are saying about the monitor you are thinking of buying.
Other great variants of displays out there that provide ultra nice colors and viewing angles are, S-IPS and PLS. Good luck on your search, let us know what you get.

Despite what people are saying, IPS monitors and any other variant of that panel, is just fine for gaming.

I'm thinking of buying the Asus VX279H (27" AH-IPS 1080p; 5ms response time). I've read this is the new version on the MX series they have. Apparently I couldn't find more reviews for it -only saw youtube reviews which they say it was good for gaming and general use.

System Name WorstEVER
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E
Memory G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Sniper, DDR3 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.35V
Video Card(s) 7970 Matrix Platinum
Storage Samsung 840EVO / Samsung F1
Display(s) Crossover Blacktune 2763 AMG "PP"
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 Gold
Software Win7 x64 ultimate
Benchmark Scores over 9000
If you can find dell with same price then take dell

Cooling Corsair H100i
Display(s) Asus VX239H
There's actually a dell(Dell U2412HM, Dell U2412M, Dell U2312HM) that I found but their response time is 8ms compared to Asus' 5ms. -Does it matter?

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Hmmm.... your right with a really quick look I didn't find many reviews on the Asus VX279 either.

Here's a couple
And another

I have never owned a HP monitor so I can not comment to arskatb's point. However I have owned a few Asus Monitors and a few Acer Monitors. I found both of those companies make very good monitors and have a great reputation. But while I haven't used a HP monitor before I have heard they also make very good monitors.
The 3rd monitor manufacturer I really like is Samsung... however they are usually more on the expensive side.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
side point....
last I knew, unless drivers have fixed this since, the card will always run in 3D mode and be much hotter at idle!

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Pro tip: hold windows key and then push p to select dual monitor or single monitor without wearing out the monitor's power button.

System Name My PC
Processor i7 4790k @4.4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte z97m-d3h
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133-9-11-11-31-1T
Video Card(s) GTX970 Stric oc
Storage Samsung 840Pro 512GB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT
Case Lian Li 359
Audio Device(s) Denon DA-300USB / Denon AH-D5000
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure Optical
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win10 64-bit home
There's actually a dell(Dell U2412HM, Dell U2412M, Dell U2312HM) that I found but their response time is 8ms compared to Asus' 5ms. -Does it matter?

The response times of ANY monitors are totally false and have absolutely nothing to do with real life. For example, These Dell monitors actually have about 20-25ms delay which is the typical delay of IPS screens. I don't know about that particular asus, but a good TN usually has about 3-15ms delay (the newest EIZO FORGIS has 3.7ms and this is the fastest screen currently). You will never notice the difference. You can head over to tftcentral.co.uk and have a look at one of their recent reviews and see the table with the "Average Lag Comparison".

Personally I own a dell 2713HM and used to own an Asus proart monitor, I have seen and played games on 120Hz "gaming" screen (Samsung s23a750d) of my previous flat mate and my personal opinion is that the advantages of IPS seriously outweigh the single advantage of TN which actually matters only to the pro CS gamers that get paid to win tournaments. The only thing you got to be careful with IPS is to not to pick a model that would present ghosting in games/fast movements.

In terms of the dual-monitor setup, I think you should have a high quality IPS as your main screen and a second cheap one so you can simultaneously browse the net etc.

Last edited: