• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

TibChee

Hi guys!

Is there a way to somehow upmix stereo (e.g. YouTube or Spotify) audio to 5.1 with this unlocked driver via S/PDIF optical connection?
I've installed the driver version 2.73 for my ALC898 chip (ASRock z77 Extreme-4 motherboard) and it works fine. On my 5.1 speaker setup's (I have a Logitech z906) control console there is a LED ("decode") which indicates if the outputted stream is DTS/DD or not. This LED lighting (when playing audio), so the stream is DTS/DD and I hear a little difference, the sound is more detailed, I think.
Anyway, the problem is if I play a YT video or something similar, only the front speakers (and the subwoofer) play any sound (so it's basicly works as a 2.1 system). However the speaker system has an in-built capability to upmix stereo (to 4.1 or 5.1) this doesn't work if the stream is DTS/DD.
I use The KMPlayer to play media files, whitch has a function to output 5.1 audio even if the source is 2.0 (like a typical .mp3 file) and it works well.

In the driver, there is an option called "Dolby Home Theatre" whitch should do the trick, but it doesn't. :(
Any suggestion?

GrinReaper

Hey all,

First of all thanks for this post and the effort put into the followups.

I am yet another person that created an ID here just to get it to work just right.

I am on Win 7 x64 Ultimate edition using the MSi H67-MA E45 mainboard which has the ALC892 chip.

I am posting the hardware IDs below in the pictures.
Devmanager.jpg

I am using the SPDIF optical to get the audio to my Samsung Home Theater receiver which is capable of Dolby Digital Pro Logic II as well as DTS encoding.

Here's what I see in my properties.
Properties.jpg

The dolby section only has the virtual 5.1 option whereas the advanced tag offers the DTS interactive 5.1 as well as Dolby Digital 5.1 option.

My HD Audio Manager however works weird, the option to activate DTS connect is greyed out and there's nothing I can do apparently that can turn it on. Not to mention that window itself is cut off half way with no way to resize it.

The default formats offers me the DTS interactive and Dolby Digital Live like the Advanced tab from windows settings.
RtkHDA.jpg

I have tried the 2.73 version of the drivers and the 2.71.

2.71 is the only one that works and 2.73 doesn't even give me the option to select DTS or Dolby formats as defaults.

I've tried changing the DLL as well as the .SYS file and I still can't select the DTC connect feature.

Also, should I be able to hear all sounds example those from my browser too in 5.1?

Thanks and forgive my ignorance if I've made too many faux pas.

Attachments

• Devmanager.jpg
    Devmanager.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 4,203
  • Properties.jpg
    Properties.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 4,743
  • Devmanager.jpg
    Devmanager.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 1,287
  • RtkHDA.jpg
    RtkHDA.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 3,813

dts

hi thanks for unlocking driver.Its working like a charm expect for dts neo:6. The realtek driver is working . dd pro logic 2 can be applied with dd live and dts interactive but there is no way to use dts neo.Although dts neo:pc (music, cinema) is shown in the control manager but no matter what you select it just sends stereo.It will be very nice of you if somehow make this work( i know if you want you can ) .waiting for reply :)

KOZ

Outstanding 2Bad, lol nice name ha ha, 2bad Dolby Laboratory you get nada you greedy basterds! I was a bit skeptical upon review but your kung fu is good. I tested DDL on multiple tracks on WMP and WOW what a difference -- my hat off to you. Its like super improved dolby prologic with enhanced spatial dimensionality. If you find yourself in the Chicagoland area, shots on me!

i got this to work using realtek ALC892, driver ver. 6.0.1.7083 aka R2.73 by searching C: drive for the occurrence of RTKVHD64.sys and replacing it with the mod vers -- it works!

P.S is this mod based off Daniel Kawakami 's Auzentech Prelude DDL module

O forgot to let ya know what im rocken Def tec all round DP-8040 series
sys specs:
Win7 x64
XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core OC 1050 Mhz cpu and 1300 Mhz mem stable
Asus M4A89 GTD PRO 890GX/SB850
Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4.0Ghz Custom watter cooled
8gb 2X4gb G.Skill X @ 1860mhz oc
Samsung 840 PRO 256gbs & 4 other data hdds
Ultra 650W PSU

Last edited:

KOZ

Just stopped by to say thanks to 2bad and everyone else here for this. I got the modded drivers setup on an Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z and GA-F2A88XN-WIFI with Windows 8.1 and it works perfectly with the Astro Mixamp Pro 2013. (even works on 8.1.1)

I was kind of pissed to realize that the onboard sound didn't have DDL as an option and I don't understand why the manufacturers won't make that an optional purchase to unlock with some kind of software download. I would gladly purchase it over buying a new sound card.

because it would just get hacked thus once you consider the provisions to copyright protect plus Dolby Laboratory royalties the cost is more than the average consumer is willing to pay and also the fact that any encryption can be decrypted with a super pc in days time...

KOZ

welcome to digital. without a dedicated bass channel, you wont get any. i went back to analogue for that reason.

yea if u have crapy speakers and receiver lol head over to bestbuy magnolia room and listen to Definitive Technology speakers my bp 8040st POUND but u gota drop close to 2 grand and set receiver to LFP MAIN

KOZ

hi thanks for unlocking driver.Its working like a charm expect for dts neo:6. The realtek driver is working . dd pro logic 2 can be applied with dd live and dts interactive but there is no way to use dts neo.Although dts neo:pc (music, cinema) is shown in the control manager but no matter what you select it just sends stereo.It will be very nice of you if somehow make this work( i know if you want you can ) .waiting for reply :)

whats ur speaker set up? FYI DTS NEO does not work with optical but only with 3.5mm jacked setups. You know the headphone speaker jacks in the back of the MB. I use an optical setup and like you the dts connect tab shows what you are seeing BUT, THE ON OFF RADIO SELECTOR IS OMITED UNLESS U USE 3.5 JACKED SETUP take a pair of headphones and plug em in, select speakers as default and u will then see the on off radio buttons at the top just below the dts connect tab

Last edited:

dts

but dts :pc should work on optical.Its a feature just like dolby pro logic 2. my speaker setup is z5500. Dts neo becomes useable only after you select dts interective 5.1 as default format(optical connection).but still dts neo doesn't work no matter what you select cinema or music mode.it only sends stereo.:(even in analog dts neo doesn't work

Last edited:

KOZ

but dts :pc should work on optical.Its a feature just like dolby pro logic 2. my speaker setup is z5500. Dts neo becomes useable only after you select dts interective 5.1 as default format(optical connection).but still dts neo doesn't work no matter what you select cinema or music mode.it only sends stereo.:(even in analog dts neo doesn't work

See pic fig 1) is where the on off radio buttons would appear
see pic fig 2)j see that is says speakers mode and not optical mode
Untitled.jpg

do u see the on off radio buttons at the top just below the dts connect tab. because you did not mention them in ur last two post which leads me to believe that you are not completely understanding what im trying to tell u -- wiki radio buttons if u don't know what im taking about. the radio button ON must be selected and u MUST have a 3.5mm 5.1 or 7.1 jacked connection/setup and like u said have eather dts or ddl selected as default device. If you don't see the on off selector then you R SOL. Why do u want it anyways DDL is way better I mean more games support it and music sounds fantastic.

Last edited:

Trilyan

Ill give the M1 R2.73 drivers another go again soon.

How did that go?? I'm seriously reconsidering my upcoming mobo purchase if I can avoid spending extra bucks in a DTS Connect enabled one and get it this way, but I don't want to have any type of RAM leakage, that's just a no go. Anyone else experiencing any problems like that?? I'm a Win 8.1 64 user.

dts

KOZ thanks for trying to help me.But you don't seem to understand what i am telling.I have already told you that 51. dts interective enalbes dts connet option .I don't see any warning like your picture (dts neo only works with 5.1,7.1 speaker mode.besides i have figured out a way to use dts neo in optical thanks :)

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
KOZ thanks for trying to help me.But you don't seem to understand what i am telling.I have already told you that 51. dts interective enalbes dts connet option .I don't see any warning like your picture (dts neo only works with 5.1,7.1 speaker mode.besides i have figured out a way to use dts neo in optical thanks :)

maybe it doesnt work in optical?

dadada12

Hello everyone, I apologize in advance for my English. I leguito the guide to the letter and I installed the drivers on 2.71 with unlocker, I visualize correctly the new options but if I select the live or dolby dts Neo PC tells me "error disable driver drivers that are incompatible" is not playing any sound. How can I fix this?

ashell

I have a mitsubishi DPL TV that has a built in 5.1 sound bar. The only surround input it takes is HDMI encoded in AC3. I have an ATI HD6850 video card, and it has a realtek chip I dont remember if its 889 or 892. (powercolor HD 6850) My mother board also has a realtek chip.

I updated to R2.73 and patched it with the modified file. I rebooted in unprotected mode. My audio manager shows DTS and DDL. I got really excited because I have never gotten this far before. Then I cleaned out my ATI drivers with a cleaner. I updated to newest catylist drivers, without sound drivers. I re did the install of R2.73 with the patch, and BAM!!! I get the options for DDL over HDMI. BUT! IT doesn't really work.

If you look under speaker config settings only stereo is an option. If you go under the advanced tab, default format, and set it for DDL 5.1, then hit test. you only hear 2 sounds. If you watch the volumn meters, it only peaks twice too. So Its only testing in stereo. So I think okay, maybe this driver is not really made for HDMI, but then I do my same little test under SPDIF digital and optical. Still only 2 peaks on the sound meters.

This makes me think these drivers are only hacked to the point to enable the button, but not actually enable the feature. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Edit:
I loaded up Resident Evil 5 which is a DD cert. game. I can't really tell if its running in 5.1 or not. (its late and I can't turn it up to to loud with neighbors) I kind of think I do hear some rear exclusive sounds, but its a 5.1 sound bar so its reflective and psycho acustic sound. Maybe its working, maybe not. If I can get this to work and HD3D at the same time I will bust a nut. I'm just wondering what happens for games that are not DD. I think they usually pull sound settings from windows which is still set to stereo. And obviously movies encoded in DD will still pass thru.

Edit2:
I loaded up boarderland 2 and turned the volume down on on the front speakers and left them up on the rear speakers. voices and explosions seemed to be louder when behind the charcater. So it seems like it is working. Which is awesome. Still no sound at all for HD3D which I have always had a problem with and I don't know why.

Thanks a bunch I'm so glad to finally have surround sound in my living room.

Last edited:

msremmert

I made an account for this site simply so I could comment on this.
The instructions are in this thread and floating around other sites (seriously, there's a lot of links pointing to this thread) but I figured I'd consolidate my methodology for the benefit of others.

I actually have a Xonar U7 which is better than the onboard set up of my laptop anyway but my desire to have free stuff and knowing that my hardware is crippled forced me to experiment with this.

Laptop has an ALC892 thing onboard and I'm running 8.1 Pro x64.
After a quick read of the spec sheet:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284
I could see that my laptop was indeed capable of all sorts of fancy features that were crippled.

I gave up with original instructions of extracting the .exe and replacing the .sys file - it never worked and always threw up errors.
The GameSpirit drivers work fine providing you use test signing mode but I prefer this method as it's neater and I don't care for that bloated X-Fi crap.

The method that seems to have provided the best results with this pain-in-the-ass OS for me was to install the bog standard 2.73 drivers, drop Windows into test mode and sign then replace the RTKVHD64.sys file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers

You can sign the file using DSEO:
http://files.ngohq.com/ngo/dseo/dseo13b.exe

Annoyingly Windows 8.1 must be left in test signing mode for the modded driver to work correctly.
The moment I turned off test signing mode the Realtek manager threw up errors and Windows only identified my external card.

Only way for me to get this working under 8.1 x64 was to enable Windows Test Mode permanently:
Open a command promt in admin mode.

Enable

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Disable

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

However once you do this it leaves an annoying watermark but the quickest way to remove this is to use
My WCP Watermark Editor:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/My-WCP-Watermark-Editor-Download-210191.html
Put your watermark to whatever you want (or erase it completely in my case) and crack on.

**Note - I did notice that DSEO had a watermark remover onboard however I never tried it.

I actually prefer Windows in permanent test signing mode anyway as I can now install whatever I want without hassle - my first encounter with this crap was about 6 months ago when I made the jump to 8.1 (I have to support it at work - seemed the best way to learn) and found Symantec hadn't signed their touchpad drivers. :mad:

I hope this saves any frustrated user some time. :)

Last edited:

KOZ

I have a mitsubishi DPL TV that has a built in 5.1 sound bar. The only surround input it takes is HDMI encoded in AC3. I have an ATI HD6850 video card, and it has a realtek chip I dont remember if its 889 or 892. (powercolor HD 6850) My mother board also has a realtek chip.

I updated to R2.73 and patched it with the modified file. I rebooted in unprotected mode. My audio manager shows DTS and DDL. I got really excited because I have never gotten this far before. Then I cleaned out my ATI drivers with a cleaner. I updated to newest catylist drivers, without sound drivers. I re did the install of R2.73 with the patch, and BAM!!! I get the options for DDL over HDMI. BUT! IT doesn't really work.

If you look under speaker config settings only stereo is an option. If you go under the advanced tab, default format, and set it for DDL 5.1, then hit test. you only hear 2 sounds. If you watch the volumn meters, it only peaks twice too. So Its only testing in stereo. So I think okay, maybe this driver is not really made for HDMI, but then I do my same little test under SPDIF digital and optical. Still only 2 peaks on the sound meters.

This makes me think these drivers are only hacked to the point to enable the button, but not actually enable the feature. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Edit:
I loaded up Resident Evil 5 which is a DD cert. game. I can't really tell if its running in 5.1 or not. (its late and I can't turn it up to to loud with neighbors) I kind of think I do hear some rear exclusive sounds, but its a 5.1 sound bar so its reflective and psycho acustic sound. Maybe its working, maybe not. If I can get this to work and HD3D at the same time I will bust a nut. I'm just wondering what happens for games that are not DD. I think they usually pull sound settings from windows which is still set to stereo. And obviously movies encoded in DD will still pass thru.

Edit2:
I loaded up boarderland 2 and turned the volume down on on the front speakers and left them up on the rear speakers. voices and explosions seemed to be louder when behind the charcater. So it seems like it is working. Which is awesome. Still no sound at all for HD3D which I have always had a problem with and I don't know why.

Thanks a bunch I'm so glad to finally have surround sound in my living room.

there is no doubt about it -- it works. I tested DD live out in Call of duty ghosts and the surround is fantastic. I could clearly hear multi channel sound out of my rears really cool and the stereo to DD live conversion nukes pro logic my My def tech bp st's are outstanding. Note to all; you have to check the Dolby Home Theater check box for ddl to work. Just right click on ur speaker icon select playback devices choose ur default device then properties then Dolby tab.

Last edited:

KOZ

Thanks works great!

I wrote a installation guide to help some people.
This will work on Vista/Win7/Win8 x86/x64
1. Download Realtek Drivers. (R271)
2. Download/Install WinRar or 7Zip
3. Download Modded Driver
4. Extract your Realtek Drivers (the exe file you just downloaded)

5. Extract you Modded Drivers

6. Now open folder "Realtek High Definition Audio - Unlocked Drivers ..."
7. Open the next folder (ex OS Version - M3)
8. x86 users open "RTKAPO.dll folder"
x64 users open "RTKAPO64.dll folder"

9. Now copy that ".dll" file to your Realtek Drivers sub folder Vista64 (x64 OS)

10. Now just run "setup.exe" from the Realtek Drivers

Hope this helps :toast:
is this a work around for the driver signing? Do you still have to disable driver signing when booting? IF not does any one know how to sign this driver or get it to work with out having to f8 and disable unsigned drivers on reboot?

Last edited:

dts

there is no doubt about it -- it works. I tested DD live out in Call of duty ghosts and the surround is fantastic. I could clearly hear multi channel sound out of my rears really cool and the stereo to DD live conversion nukes pro logic my My def tech bp st's are outstanding. Note to all; you have to check the Dolby Home Theater check box for ddl and dts to work. Just right click on ur speaker icon select playback devices choose ur default device then properties then Dolby tab.

dts

Dolby home theater is just like dts neo .You don't have to check that for dts or dd to work.It just up mixes 2 channel to multi channel.(whatever you select dts interactive or ddlive).

mouse12345

hi guys :)
i got a weird problem i installed the driver 2.72 with the modded 2.72 rtkapo64.dll (system win7 x64) soundchip realtek ALC889.
I connected my receiver with SPDIF (optical). when i select dolby digital live or dts 5.1 in the device menue i dont have sounds neither windows nor any media player, games sounds. the only way i get sound is:
1. change output format to 2channel 48khz (but no dolby then)
2. or in VLC player select as output device A52 SPDIF then i really get amazing sound and my receiver shows it gets a Dolby signal

can you please help me? (when i use the r2.71 with the 2.71 modded rtkapo.dll it's the same and the other option with the modded .sys files i cant even install 0x000000ff error)

KOZ

Dolby home theater is just like dts neo .You don't have to check that for dts or dd to work.It just up mixes 2 channel to multi channel.(whatever you select dts interactive or ddlive).

F

yes you are right, but if you want sound to come out of your rears when DDL is default while playing non DD or DTS sources that box needs to be checked other wise no RC sound.
PS I THINK MOST PEOPLE ARE JUST CLICKING ON DDL WITH OUT USING A DDL OR DTSI SOURCE. in that case checking the DD theater tab will help

Last edited:

Hxx

Still no workaround for ALC 1150 and DDL ? I have an Asus Hero z87

hellzyes

Sorry I'm not really familiar with audio technology. Does this hack do anything if you only have 2.1 speakers?