• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150)

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
It's red and black. It has ASUS ROG branding on it. Otherwise, it doesn't really offer that much.

I couldn't have summarized it better myself. The only question I have is why did the Maximus VI Hero not get the same comment even though it's basically the same board as this one? Is it just because the VII is more expensive than the VI?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I couldn't have summarized it better myself. The only question I have is why did the Maximus VI Hero not get the same comment even though it's basically the same board as this one? Is it just because the VII is more expensive than the VI?
No, because of the RANGER.

System Name Titan
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K
Motherboard ASUS X99-A
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970
Storage Crucial MX100 2x256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium with Window
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 11613 in Firestrike
You review states that the board is $250, and needs to be $30-40 cheaper to be competitive on the current market, yet the prices I see on the US market are all ~$210 (Amazon, Newegg, and NCIX).

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You review states that the board is $250, and needs to be $30-40 cheaper to be competitive on the current market, yet the prices I see on the US market are all ~$210 (Amazon, Newegg, and NCIX).
prices change. it's still 250 @ newegg.ca Seems ASUS is on the ball here then, and that that comment was accurate, no?

Like, thanks for proving me right.... :p

j/k.

System Name Titan
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K
Motherboard ASUS X99-A
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970
Storage Crucial MX100 2x256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium with Window
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 11613 in Firestrike
prices change. it's still 250 @ newegg.ca Seems ASUS is on the ball here then, and that that comment was accurate, no?

Like, thanks for proving me right.... :p

j/k.
so what's your opinion on the hero at $210? Worthy of consideration/purchase?

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
Well I'm happy with it...
it gets my 4690K up to 4.8Ghz stable on 1.25vlts...a single auto tune click in the BIOS raised it to 4.5GHZ and a couple of extra clicks with the desktop tuning software gets it to 4.8Ghz:

Maybe a cheaper board could have done it, maybe not, or maybe I just got lucky with this chip, either way I can't complain.

The tweaking options in the BIOS are pretty incredible and as comprehensive as you could wish for, the on-board sound is true discrete card quality and the LED's look fantastic in my Corsair 450D with it's tinted window.??

For me, it's been worth every penny, and I know it's a board that will last at least 2yrs and get every ounce of performance out of the Broadwell CPU that I will upgrade to in 2015.
You pays your money and takes your choice.

RioGamer

that board in my country cost about 355usd much2 expensive than msi z97 mpower max cost about 325usd with more bundling & accesories

cadaveca

My name is Dave
so what's your opinion on the hero at $210? Worthy of consideration/purchase?
Yeah, I mean, it works great... graphs speak for themselves. I didn't tune the BIOS at all, just a couple of clicks for voltage, and that's all. You might get similar from the RANGER, but of slightly lesser quality since that board does have cost-optimized parts used, so that product being out there kind of makes the HERO feel like a new "FORMULA", but without the cover and VRM cooling capable of supporting watercooling. SO I guess the $250 local price seems pretty fair.

For me personally, I need more GPU support or less "board".

D

Deleted member 138597

What do you think, is the SupremeFX capable enough to kick out a discrete sound card, what ASUS claims to? And does MSI Gaming 5 or ASRock Z97X-Killer outperforms the Maximus VII Hero? It was said there that the reviewer was in haste reviewing the Gaming 5.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What do you think, is the SupremeFX capable enough to kick out a discrete sound card, what ASUS claims to? And does MSI Gaming 5 or ASRock Z97X-Killer outperforms the Maximus VII Hero? It was said there that the reviewer was in haste reviewing the Gaming 5.

All these boards have fairly decent audio, so much so that I do not feel users purchasing in this price segment need an additional audio card, unless they are specifically looking for audiophile-level capabilities.

Honestly, audio performance across these products you listed is pretty subjective. I do have results from RMAA in each review that should allow you to make a general comparison, but at the same time, differences between headphones or speakers used can make any comments I make about who is better rather irrelevant. Also, each brand does have higher-quality board products that do have more sophisticated audio designs that do seem to beat out what's provided by the boards you have mentioned. That in and of itself is part of the reason you pay more for these other boards, along with other improvements in various areas.

D

Deleted member 138597

I've seen the Fatal1ty Z97X Killer review of yours and you expected a thunderbolt port from it. Boards of this class don't usually come with such ports and to my opinion, it seemed quite over-expecting. Moreover, SATA Express are quite useless right now since there are little SATA Express drives in the market.

I was disappointed too seeing such performance of the Hero, I expected more of it, and of Z97X-Killer too. However, considering the features and looks, I found Hero to serve the best and comes with gaming look. I don't mean to hurt your feelings because of it being subjective, but I didn't like either of MSI Gaming 5 and Z97X Killer's looks. Gaming 5 have a very skinny heatsink which isn't appealing and Killer have a brick-like blocks with carved-out writing on it. However, don't get me wrong as a ROG or Asus fan because I have a ROG profile picture. I am standing impartial, and I go for the best, regardless of the brand.

Anyway, just want to know if the Maximus VII Ranger review is imminent. I saw great ratings on this board, and waiting to be compared with these boards. After all, benchmarks vary on test setups, therefore, better to be on the same base.

Thanks again for your kind reply.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I've seen the Fatal1ty Z97X Killer review of yours and you expected a thunderbolt port from it. Boards of this class don't usually come with such ports and to my opinion, it seemed quite over-expecting. Moreover, SATA Express are quite useless right now since there are little SATA Express drives in the market.

Yeah, for end user, SATA Express is useless, since you cannot buy drives yet. But I have one of my own, and although M.2 can be fast and is available, the lack of easy drive swapping from system to system is something that M.2 lacks that SATA Express has over it.

Esthetics...you are right. Completely subjective. What appeals to me in this regard is something new, and functional. Small heatsinks are fine if they work OK.

Anyway, about Thunderbolt, since this is part of the platform, I would like to see ALL BOARDS have it. Let me tell you something... Z97 isn't really a new chipset. It's a new design using the same old Z87 chipset. So these "smaller" features are things I would like to be brought forward. The addition of M.2, power design changes, and esthetics are fine and dandy... but over and above Z87, Z97 doesn't offer much. Thunderbolt is something I'd like to see, but it missing doesn't affect scoring.

I do not have Ranger in my possession yet; I just received the VII FORMULA a few days ago, so that will be one of the next ASUS products I review.. although I do have the Z97-A to be published first.

D

Deleted member 138597

Yes I agree, since Z77, there isn't much of a change in the later chipsets.

I am very, very eagerly waiting for a review on Maximus VII Formula and I can't tell you how glad I am to hear that news. Let's just say, I am expecting much from this red devil.

If you don't mind, I'd suggest few benchmarks and scoring improvements to be added in the reviews of high-end motherboards (for scoring improvements, any reviews). We hear a lot about motherboards supporting 3000+ MHz of RAM, so I would love to see how these boards really perform in XMP, above 2400MHz. Along with that, add frame rate benchmarks and frame-time variance on latest games, including the Watch Dogs and few hardware intensive applications. About that scoring, I see scoring on individual categories to be more "speaking" and averaging them than drawing the total score at once. For example, 9.0 is average, but it doesn't strongly tell how well a product is in aesthetics, performance or in other categories, individually.

I hope you will do your best, which is what we people believe, to review as perfectly and as detailed as possible. Good luck with your reviews. :lovetpu:

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Pc pro /// Pc game
Processor Bi Xeon Intel E5 2687W /// I5 2500K @ 4.5ghz @ 1.25v
Motherboard Asus Z9PE-D8 WS /// Asus P8P67 WS Revolution B3
Cooling 2x Be Quiet Dark rock pro 2 /// Corsair H100 + 4 Alpenfohn Wing Boost 120mm
Memory 128go Crucial 1600 MHz CL9 ECC Registered DR X4 /// 16gb G.Skill Sniper 1600mhz CL7
Video Card(s) SLI Nvidia K6000 /// Tri SLI MSI GTX 780 6Gb OC
Storage Samsung 830 256gb + 512gb // Crucial M4 64gb + Plextor M5P xtreme 256gb
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U3011 /// 3x Asus MX279H
Case BitFenix Shinobi XL White /// Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) Nothing /// Asus Xonar DX 7.1
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex 80+ Gold 1300W /// Silverstone Strider Plus 80+ Gold 1500W
Software Windows 7 X64 Pro-Kubuntu 14.03 /// Windows 7 X64 Pro
Yes I agree, since Z77, there isn't much of a change in the later chipsets.
:lovetpu:

Hi :)

I shall add that since Z68, the evolutions are ridiculous whether it is on motherboards & CPU
Thus as long as they won't make the truths change instead of laughing at people for 3 years, I shall keep my I7 2700K almost so powerful as one 4790K
In brief would need to stop the pissing around and to bring out us of real evolutions in everything instead of thinking only of business

See you :D

System Name Garbage / Trash
Processor Ryzen 5600X / 5600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Ti / GB B550M Aorus Pro-P
Cooling Deepcool GTE / ID Cooling SE224XT
Memory Micron 32GB DDR4-3200 E-die @ 3600C16 / Ballistix Elite 16GB 3600C16
Video Card(s) MSI 2060 Super Armor OC / Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
Storage HP EX920 1TB Micron 1100 2TB, Crucial M550 1TB, Hynix P31 1TB
Display(s) Acer XB271HU @ 150Hz x2
Audio Device(s) JBL LSR305 + Topping D50S / iLoud MM + SMSL DO100
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W / G-series 650W
Mouse Logitech G304 x2
If I want to spend ~$350 on a CPU and mobo I would get a 4790K with a ~$50 mobo...You ain't fooling me Asus with gaudy branding nor is an uncertain, overkill and cost of a expensive aftermarker cooler for a 800MHz OC worth the extra ~$200 for a mobo alone.

Heck even the audio measurements are pretty irrelevant since virtually all the time you want to concentrate on the speaker/headphone quality to improve the sound and if you want to go all out audiophile you won't be touching integrated audio anyway.