• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

soundcard choice help

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
The most important part of any 5.1 sound setup is actually getting the speakers positioned correctly and getting the sound levels set correctly. You can spend a lot of money on soundcards and speakers and home theater speakers and whatnot if you don't have the basics right, you are wasting your time and money. OP, start simple and get those speakers properly located and leveled once you have them connected to your motherboard's onboard sound card. I suspect you will be happy with what you already have.

That's correct

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Ill give you my opinion since I hit a similar conundrum you seem to have now awhile ago. When it came to Audio on my machines I never really put much thought into it because I just wanted to hear the effects of the game/video/etc. Now a days when it comes to sound cards the built in ones often give such a good experience that it has almost rendered the market for sound cards dead. That being said, sound cards do exist out there better (In some cases much) than the integrated on the top boards but they mostly appeal to people doing audio editing and such where they need extreme levels of quality.

I bought a Samsung 1000Watt 5.1 Surround sound speaker system (Its a blu-ray player system) and plugged it in the optical port on my system. I had been given a creative sound blaster audigy card from a friend that was top notch and pretty pricey which I used for a short while. I thought the whole system sounded amazing plugged into that card like that but then my curiosity got the better of me and I tried the on board optical to see if the quality changed. It did not sound any different to my ears and gave the exact same effect I was expecting playing games/movies/etc.

In short, my opinion is that the on board (You have the maximus so you have a real nice one) controllers are so nice now you would probably not notice a difference in quality even with a real expensive card unless your doing some extreme audio engineering/editing. I would recommend trying your speaker system first on the on-board with an optical connection and seeing if you like that. Do that before investing the money on a sound card because you might be pleasantly surprised how great it sounds.

Just my advice based on experience...

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Ill give you my opinion since I hit a similar conundrum you seem to have now awhile ago. When it came to Audio on my machines I never really put much thought into it because I just wanted to hear the effects of the game/video/etc. Now a days when it comes to sound cards the built in ones often give such a good experience that it has almost rendered the market for sound cards dead. That being said, sound cards do exist out there better (In some cases much) than the integrated on the top boards but they mostly appeal to people doing audio editing and such where they need extreme levels of quality.

I bought a Samsung 1000Watt 5.1 Surround sound speaker system (Its a blu-ray player system) and plugged it in the optical port on my system. I had been given a creative sound blaster audigy card from a friend that was top notch and pretty pricey which I used for a short while. I thought the whole system sounded amazing plugged into that card like that but then my curiosity got the better of me and I tried the on board optical to see if the quality changed. It did not sound any different to my ears and gave the exact same effect I was expecting playing games/movies/etc.

In short, my opinion is that the on board (You have the maximus so you have a real nice one) controllers are so nice now you would probably not notice a difference in quality even with a real expensive card unless your doing some extreme audio engineering/editing. I would recommend trying your speaker system first on the on-board with an optical connection and seeing if you like that. Do that before investing the money on a sound card because you might be pleasantly surprised how great it sounds.

really good accurate advices, Thanks,

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint

If you are using HDMI or SPDIF optical or coaxial to connect the PC to the speakers then a sound card is pretty much useless because it's being used only as a pass though device, in short the sound card is not doing any sound processing at all. Use a sound card if you are going to use the analog outs.

To the OP. Unless you have high end ANALOG speakers or high end headphones your onboard sound is good enough. And since you will be connecting the 5.1 though optical you are not going to use the sound card the way it's supposed to.

Regarding which brand is better for music, games, etc., IMO both are great for music, but for games Creative ones have the edge (i'm talking about high end sound cards, which are the ones worth buying).

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Thanks for the Infos, that was my final conclusion, Z906 + Xonar Phoebus solo...

Yes. Keep in mind I'm only recommended the Asus RoG Xonar Phoebus Solo because your specification says you have it already. You spent good money on it so you may as well use it (opposed to on-board).

Also I tend to get more noise when my on-board is connected to my case's front panel audio, I only use headphones occasionally so its not really a big issue.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Yes. Keep in mind I'm only recommended the Asus RoG Xonar Phoebus Solo because your specification says you have it already. You spent good money on it so you may as well use it (opposed to on-board).

Also I tend to get more noise when my on-board is connected to my case's front panel audio, I only use headphones occasionally so its not really a big issue.

That's right i have the Xonar Phoebus Solo, Next week I will put it back in my rig,

Thanks a lot guys, you're amazing

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
If you are using HDMI or SPDIF optical or coaxial to connect the PC to the speakers then a sound card is pretty much useless because it's being used only as a pass though device, in short the sound card is not doing any sound processing at all. Use a sound card if you are going to use the analog outs.

To the OP. Unless you have high end ANALOG speakers or high end headphones your onboard sound is good enough. And since you will be connecting the 5.1 though optical you are not going to use the sound card the way it's supposed to.

Regarding which brand is better for music, games, etc., IMO both are great for music, but for games Creative ones have the edge (i'm talking about high end sound cards, which are the ones worth buying).
Yea that was something that I found interesting when I first learned of it because to me it ruined the point of many sound cards I saw on the market. Though sound was never something I paid much attention to it was a revelation when i realized that.

That's right i have the Xonar Phoebus Solo, Next week I will put it back in my rig,

Thanks a lot guys, you're amazing
No sweat, enjoy!

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
The only feature you will be getting from the Xonar would be Dolby Digital Live. That feature will give you games in true 5.1 sound if they have multi-channel sound. Other than that, there won't be any difference from the onboard sound. All the other features of the Xonar only work on the analog outputs and you are using the digital output.

Last edited:
System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
The only feature you will be getting from the Xonar would be Dolby Digital Live. That feature will give you games in true 5.1 sound if they have multi-channel sound. Other than that, there won't be any difference from the onboard sound. All the other features of the Xonar only work on the analog outputs and you are using the digital output.

The Asus RoG Xonar Phoebus Solo doesn't support Dolby Digital Live, which is a shame as most of the other Xonars do which is a huge selling point.

There is usually DSPs and presents applied on a driver level by default which can alter the difference between on-board and dedicated.

But overall I agree with your message. Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect is one of the only reasons to buy a dedicated sound card in 2014.

Last edited: