• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Future of supercomputers

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
System Name Raptor Lake
Processor 13900KF
Motherboard Rog Strix Z790-E Gaming Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 ti Suprim X
Storage Samsung 970 Pro SSD(512) NVMe + 850 evo ssd (500) WD 2GB NVME pcie4
Display(s) Samsung Neo 32inch curved 240hz
Case THERMALTAKE CORE X2
Audio Device(s) Rotel 1572 mk ii
Power Supply 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Steel Series Apex Pro
Software windows 11Pro x64
Cool...

about time they killed off copper tracks..

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
What u mean?

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Cool, I've been waiting for an optical replacement for traditional copper etched circuit boards for some time. This is similar to fiber optics JunkBear, only applied to circuit boards.

I found it interesting the guys name is Fink. Was musing over Jeramiah Fink of Bioshock Infinite. This is going to mean ultra low power, extremely cool running components that will last a long time, and it will minimize lost efficiency due to latency problems.

Killing off copper electrical connections is nice, but the bigger change that I can see is memristors. They've functionally chopped up an entire computer and put it into a single chip, even more so than an SOC.

I'd say that decreased latency between transmissions is fine, but you've still got semiconductors inside each chip transmitting data. This model removes the barrier between fast memory (RAM) and permanent memory (HDD/SSDs). If you could do that you've got a system that only requires power during calculation, doesn't have to wait on memory refreshes before having access to data, and is inherently less wasteful because all memory is connected via one interface.

If modern systems could functionally remove the RAM you've either got a memory controller that completely frees up the PCH, or a chip that doesn't need a memory controller. Either way you're looking at huge efficiency increases. IBM seems to have done the math on that, and it is where they are getting the 6 times more efficient figure.

All of this said, why does any of this matter? They are quoting a 2018 release for some devices to the market. We haven't even effectively managed to use more than four cores in our current programs (yes, there are some that do, but they are the exceptions to the rules), let alone a heterogeneous cluster of specified cores. The crazy in me wants to see AMD latch onto this kind of thing, as they've pushed for exactly that. MS doesn't really have anything in the pipeline that would make use of this architecture.

I hate to say this, but it isn't the future of computing unless you can get idiots to use it. Makers and the internet of things are a nice little set of buzz words, but without reasonable pricing and actual market penetration you're dead in the water. IBM hasn't really struck me as particularly good at selling their products to the average person, least of all with a completely new device into an entirely undefined market. What I'm actually hoping for is the bastard child of this and ARM architecture. A phone that can actually get some talk time, act as a connected device, and not require charging every night would be a blessing.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Im holding out for the phone version

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
We haven't even effectively managed to use more than four cores in our current programs (yes, there are some that do, but they are the exceptions to the rules), let alone a heterogeneous cluster of specified cores. The crazy in me wants to see AMD latch onto this kind of thing, as they've pushed for exactly that. MS doesn't really have anything in the pipeline that would make use of this architecture.

I hate to say this, but it isn't the future of computing unless you can get idiots to use it. Makers and the internet of things are a nice little set of buzz words, but without reasonable pricing and actual market penetration you're dead in the water. IBM hasn't really struck me as particularly good at selling their products to the average person, least of all with a completely new device into an entirely undefined market. What I'm actually hoping for is the bastard child of this and ARM architecture. A phone that can actually get some talk time, act as a connected device, and not require charging every night would be a blessing.

Yeah the memristors is huge in itself. Seems to me all these changes though might as well somewhat limit the quirks some systems have that others don't when it comes to gaming, because the design is more simplified and unified, eg more consistency. It would probably even minimize user error, at least on the hardware settings end anyway.

I can't help but think though that between the 2018 rollout for limited devices, and the introductory cost being high based on a revolutionary new technology and small quantities, that only the business and OEM small device sectors will see it for some time.

In fact it may be quite some time before it's ever cost effective enough for mainstream use, and the conundrum there is it usually takes early adopter consumers to get things going enough to justify even small scale mass production. Then you have the redundancy of parts lasting a long time in an industry that sees new advances and thus new components on a regular basis.

Another plus to limiting copper use though is it's a very toxic mining process that involves arsenic. Chile has the biggest copper mine in the world, producing over 30% of the global copper supply. They at one point wanted to shut it down, but the world powers convinced them to keep it going so as to not devastate the global economies and industries.

I had to muse over "The Internet of Things", because it sounds a lot like the birth of what eventually becomes Skynet in Terminator. It might start out as more like the G-Force story, where household gadgets transform and terrorize everyone. LOL

The used-to-Windows-compatibility idiot in me worries that "an open source-based OS that has yet to be developed" means it has even less chance of being used for mainstream gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
there are bits and pieces that may well be used.. like not using copper..
but i cant see any one moving much further way from our current model for processing information..

what would be needed as a catalyst to get something like this rolling would be another space race or similar. theory could be sound. the ability to make something could potentially be available in say 3 years or so..
but for a company to actually start working on it they would need a guaranteed goverment contract i would imagine.
and even then it wouldn't be available to the masses untill it was a viable business model.
Right now with the processing power we have as end users we have more than we need. with x99 board coming up and already on pre-sale with 8 core 16 thread i7's there really isnt anything that most end users do or need to do that could really push that to the limits.. hell most offices and small company's could easily get buy on a core 2 duo.
so all you have left of the masses is the enthusiasts.. and i know some spend a LOT more money on their systems than i do but others spend less. so if they wanted to sell it to the masses it would need to be pretty cheap. But then what 4-5-6 years later still no need to upgrade? are all the staff share holders and executives going to live off the interest..
i hate to think it. But the only way they could really make it viable is to use the tech in consoles. and mobile phones.
the disposable market of phones is huge. the teens don't care what the phone is all they care about is that it is the "in thing"
and then consoles they keep rolling over every 6-8 years just so you can play the newest games.
the only way this tech would work for a personal computer is if they built in artificial life expectancys to them..

so that's basically why i think its bull..
no company can possibly go ahead and release something that can do so much more than we could possibly need it to do, and expect it to be a viable and growing business.
even how it is as we stand. if you have a 1st gen i7 theirs not much reason for you to get a 4th gen i7, other than you want it.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I like seeing such things put into practice. While this sounds cool and whatnot, I think patience will be a virtue. With that said, I don't think anything in this article is worth arguing about. It's a prediction of the not so near future. That's all. With respect to the consumer market, less power consumption has been the demand (thanks to mobile devices) so we'll see more of that. With servers there has been a demand for more cores that consume less power so you see those changes in their respective markets.

I suspect we will see more of the same and until any of these theoretical models actually gets prototyped and put into small scale production, I will be hesitant to believe there will be any major change to the market in the next couple years and only then will we be able to determine what will happen a couple years from then because things can change.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I think its definitely going to get interesting and likely disastrous for some, if the machine sounds good it only does compared to what we now have now but with the dawn of either decent usable quatum processors or possibly synapt derived ones it could well be a niche idea that gets superceded.
I would think they should ideally be aiming for a quantum based synapt architecture using photonic connection's myself , I mean if your aiming for the next paradigm of computing you might as well reach for the best you can get eh.