• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD and Creative Assembly to Deliver the Ultimate Alien: Isolation Experience

AMD today announced a new technology partnership with Creative Assembly, developer behind the highly-anticipated "Alien: Isolation." Developed in conjunction with the AMD Gaming Evolved program, "Alien: Isolation" is fully optimized for a premium PC gaming experience, including native support for: AMD Eyefinity technology, 4K UltraHD, AMD CrossFire multi-GPU technology, and a wide range of DirectX 11 effects tuned for the Graphics Core Next architecture in recent AMD Radeon GPUs and AMD Accelerated Processing Units.

"The AMD Gaming Evolved program is committed to making games look great and run well for all PC gamers," said Ritche Corpus, director of ISV Gaming and Alliances, AMD. "By working with truly talented developers like Creative Assembly, we deliver on that commitment with fun and beautiful games like 'Alien: Isolation,' which give PC gamers the high-end technology they deserve."

Players will discover the true meaning of fear in "Alien: Isolation," a survival horror set in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger. Fifteen years after the events of the "Alien" motion picture, Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda enters a desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the truth behind her mother's disappearance. As Amanda, players will navigate through an increasingly volatile world confronted on all sides by a panicked, desperate population and an unpredictable, ruthless Alien. Underpowered and underprepared, players must scavenge resources, improvise solutions and use their wits, not just to succeed in their mission, but to simply stay alive.

"'Alien: Isolation' is a game that plunges players into a haunting, terrifying atmosphere," said Clive Gratton, Lead Programmer, Creative Assembly. "The visual experience plays such a fundamental role in the 'feel' of the game that we went the extra mile to craft an in-house engine that fully articulates our vision. AMD has graciously helped us augment that engine for the PC with a number of effects, such as contact-hardening shadows, compute-based particles, HDAO and DirectX 11 tessellation. Support for immersion and performance technologies like AMD Eyefinity and CrossFire technologies make the whole PC experience even better!"

Gamers looking to try the rich graphics and terrifying environments of "Alien: Isolation" for themselves can secure a complimentary copy by purchasing an eligible AMD Radeon R9 Series graphics card from a retailer participating in the new Never Settle: Space Edition promotion beginning Sept. 2, 2014.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel i7 4960X
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz
Video Card(s) 2x eVGA GTX Titan SLI
Storage 1x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 2TB
Display(s) Asus VG23AH
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fix'd:

AMD today announced a new technology partnership with Creative Assembly, developer behind the highly-anticipated "Alien: Isolation." Developed in conjunction with the AMD Gaming Evolved program, "Alien: Isolation" is fully optimized for a premium AMD gaming experience, including native support for: AMD Eyefinity technology, 4K UltraHD, AMD CrossFire multi-GPU technology, and a wide range of DirectX 11 effects tuned for the Graphics Core Next architecture in recent AMD Radeon GPUs and AMD Accelerated Processing Units.

"The AMD Gaming Evolved program is committed to making games look great and run well for all AMD gamers," said Ritche Corpus, director of ISV Gaming and Alliances, AMD. "By working with truly talented developers like Creative Assembly, we deliver on that commitment with fun and beautiful games like 'Alien: Isolation,' which give AMD gamers the high-end technology they deserve."

Players will discover the true meaning of fear in "Alien: Isolation," a survival horror set in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger. Fifteen years after the events of the "Alien" motion picture, Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda enters a desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the truth behind her mother's disappearance. As Amanda, players will navigate through an increasingly volatile world confronted on all sides by a panicked, desperate population and an unpredictable, ruthless Alien. Underpowered and underprepared, players must scavenge resources, improvise solutions and use their wits, not just to succeed in their mission, but to simply stay alive.

"'Alien: Isolation' is a game that plunges players into a haunting, terrifying atmosphere," said Clive Gratton, Lead Programmer, Creative Assembly. "The visual experience plays such a fundamental role in the 'feel' of the game that we went the extra mile to craft an in-house engine that fully articulates our vision. AMD has graciously helped us augment that engine for the AMD-powered PC with a number of effects, such as contact-hardening shadows, compute-based particles, HDAO and DirectX 11 tessellation. Support for immersion and performance technologies like AMD Eyefinity and CrossFire technologies make the whole AMD-powered PC experience even better!"

Gamers looking to try the rich graphics and terrifying environments of "Alien: Isolation" for themselves can secure a complimentary copy by purchasing an eligible AMD Radeon R9 Series graphics card from a retailer participating in the new Never Settle: Space Edition promotion beginning Sept. 2, 2014.

Last edited:
@JTristam
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's what NVIDIA is doing, not AMD. It's NVIDIA who is constantly pushing their proprietary bullshit around making exclusive effects and dumbing down casual stuff (which can be otherwise run on any GPU easily) to makem their's look better. AMD never does that. They just make their stuff run better but doesn't affect NVIDIA users at all. And that's how it should be done and is done by AMD. Maybe you shoudl bitch at NVIDIA instead...

Mantle? TrueAudio? TrueAudio could be awesome in a title like this.
Totally agree, why would AMD slap their name on this without implementing all the stuff that elevates them above just good value?

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
@JTristam
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's what NVIDIA is doing, not AMD. It's NVIDIA who is constantly pushing their proprietary bullshit around making exclusive effects and dumbing down casual stuff (which can be otherwise run on any GPU easily) to makem their's look better. AMD never does that. They just make their stuff run better but doesn't affect NVIDIA users at all. And that's how it should be done and is done by AMD. Maybe you shoudl bitch at NVIDIA instead...

Wow, you are worst than Putin. Why you acting like AMD's sh*t doesn't stink?

Forward+, DirectCompute AO, Global Illumination...

TressFX

Interesting how you trying to hide AMD's stuff saying only Nvidia doing it.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Wow, you are worst than Putin. Why you acting like AMD's sh*t doesn't stink?

Forward+, DirectCompute AO, Global Illumination...

TressFX

Interesting how you trying to hide AMD's stuff saying only Nvidia doing it.

Yea its Funny how ppl think that AMD doesn't do any of it, but they do. Nvidia doesn't make a public stink about it when it happens they just get off their butt and do something about it.

Wow, you found one single game after looking for it for 3 hours. I can tell you 50 games ruined by NVIDIA right now. And TressFX just makes fuckin hair look nice. How does that affect you as an NVIDIA user? I'm AMD user and i don't give a shit about it.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
I doubt this game will be good since AVP sucked hard and seeing from the trailer that was released a while ago it seemed slow paced.

Processor i7-13700k
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Wow, you found one single game after looking for it for 3 hours. I can tell you 50 games ruined by NVIDIA right now. And TressFX just makes fuckin hair look nice. How does that affect you as an NVIDIA user? I'm AMD user and i don't give a shit about it.

take your troll shit to an AMD forums where people will care what you say. there are plenty of games that some what crippled on nvidia hardware cause they are AMD game.

for everyone else lets not feed this troll anymore.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
In balance, it does 'feel' as though NV "unintentionally" gimp more games than AMD. Dirt used lighting effects that suited the AMD arch to a T. Turning it off removed the advantage. Can't use phsyx as an equivalent because it hurts performance on NV. Turn it off for an even fight.
Hell, look at BioShock 3. Gaming Evolved title ran far better on NV hardware. AMD seem to be less 'hobbling' than NV when they partner up with devs.
I must be biased though..... Please check my system specs before trolling me out.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
AMD also said GameWorks particuarly on Watch_Dogs was intentially gimping their performance, but the game runs better on AMD hardware, sure the game is poo, but the whole Forbes AMD is the golden light article was a lie and pure FUD.

With that said, who really cares anyway. /shrug

take your troll shit to an AMD forums where people will care what you say. there are plenty of games that some what crippled on nvidia hardware cause they are AMD game.

for everyone else lets not feed this troll anymore.

Trolls don't give valid arguments mind you. When has AMD removed (one thing is adding exclusive efects and another removing those that have been present in games since the early age of PC gaming) entire effects just to make their shit look better? For NVIDIA, that's prety much every single PhysX powered game from Mirror's Edge to Alice's Madness Returns to Batman Arkham, Watch_Dogs and the list can go on and on. Because no one in this friggin world will convience me that my system without HW PhysX is incapable of rendering some shitty shattered glass on the ground. Play some Mirror's Edge or Watch_Dogs and then play Red Faction from year 2001. Be amazed, the most realistic glass shattering even for today's standards done on a friggin single core CPU with clocks hardly surpassing 1GHz mark. And NVIDIA wants me to believe my 4GHz quad core can't do it today. Up yours NVIDIA.

Processor Intel i7 4960X
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz
Video Card(s) 2x eVGA GTX Titan SLI
Storage 1x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 2TB
Display(s) Asus VG23AH
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
@arbiter
The word is "fanboy", not "troll". Trolls ignore criticism, they just want to get in and spark a conflict then leave. Fanboys can't take criticism, even consider facts as one.

And bitching? Nay. I have God, a life, a job, a fiancee and if everything goes as planned will get married by the end of this year. I don't have time for anything else, bitching included. What I was trying to say was that's an AMD optimized game. Why holding back? As if they were shy about this game being heavily optimized for their hardwares. The PR came directly from AMD and there are references to AMD exclusive techs here and there. They even admitted they worked closely with CA. Using the word "PC" in that article kinda gives the impression that this is just a PC game and nothing more. Like there's no exclusivity or something. It is not like that. People who don't drink or submerge themselves in Kool-Aid -as @HumanSmoke put it- can see it clearly and they won't accuse me of bitching. Whether you like it or not, this is *a* AMD game, not *a* PC game. So like I said, why holding back? NVIDIA gamers (and to some extent, Intel ones, in case they are "brave" enough to run this game on Intel Iris HD) should be aware of this so they won't complain if this game run poorly on their rig.

I never care what people should buy or use. People like AMD, people wanna buy everything AMD, people game with AMD, go ahead, there's nothing wrong with it. Everyone should have freedom to decide what to buy with their own money. Their money, their decision. Even if it's their loss, it's theirs, not mine. They gain something, it's theirs, not mine. I don't have anything against AMD so why the bloody hell would I bitch about it? Doesn't make sense at all. I thought I was doing AMD a favor here and AMD gamers would be happy to read it. But whatever, I hate to discuss anything further in anything where fanboys involved. It never ended well. I rest my case. This is my last response to this article.

Like I always said; fanboys = retards. Doesn't matter the color or side.

I buy whatever price suggests and the company general attitude towards gaming scene. NVIDIA is just ruining it with their anal pushing of "exclusive" proprietary crap. I'd never mind anything PhysX related. Like liquid simulations or some other heavy particles shit that actually needs horsepower to calculate. But when they start removing shattered glass on the ground, fog and smoke effects altogether, removing flying debris like pieces of paper carried by wind for anyone other than GeForce users, that's the kind of company i don't want to support to even encourage them to continue with their crap. Actually i don't mind ANY kind of proprietary crap for as long as someone doesn't go and intentionally dumb down the base game and effects. be it AMD or NVIDIA. Add crazy effects that only work on Geforce or Radeon cards, but for the love of God, don't remove stuff that we had in games for decades just to make your proprietary crap look so awesome and spectacular. NVIDIA is especially obsessed with their side to side comparison videos which always make me vomit. Fancy floating smoke on one side and blank vent on the other. At least make a static smoke efefct there, is that too much to ask, every bloody game from the 90's had that. Glass shattering and falling on the ground, staying there on one side and on the other glass shattering and disappearing in thin air even before it hits the ground. That's the kind of bullshit i hate, not the proprietary stuff itself.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Guys stop with the "Troll" and "Fanboy" names. Get along or move on or just have a healthy debate with out name calling. This is an AMD thread not an Nvidia thread.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
I buy whatever price suggests and the company general attitude towards gaming scene. NVIDIA is just ruining it with their anal pushing of "exclusive" proprietary crap. I'd never mind anything PhysX related. Like liquid simulations or some other heavy particles shit that actually needs horsepower to calculate. But when they start removing shattered glass on the ground, fog and smoke effects altogether, removing flying debris like pieces of paper carried by wind for anyone other than GeForce users, that's the kind of company i don't want to support to even encourage them to continue with their crap. Actually i don't mind ANY kind of proprietary crap for as long as someone doesn't go and intentionally dumb down the base game and effects. be it AMD or NVIDIA. Add crazy effects that only work on Geforce or Radeon cards, but for the love of God, don't remove stuff that we had in games for decades just to make your proprietary crap look so awesome and spectacular. NVIDIA is especially obsessed with their side to side comparison videos which always make me vomit. Fancy floating smoke on one side and blank vent on the other. At least make a static smoke efefct there, is that too much to ask, every bloody game from the 90's had that. Glass shattering and falling on the ground, staying there on one side and on the other glass shattering and disappearing in thin air even before it hits the ground. That's the kind of bullshit i hate, not the proprietary stuff itself.

The problem is a lot of those effects ARE PhysX effects, really the onus should then be on the dev to implement those effects (or cut down versions of) for people who choose to buy an AMD card instead.

PhysX gets a lot of hate but it offers nice effects and as you say realistic physics don't come cheap, but when people start moaning that can't get those effects then frankly the dev and or AMD need to offer a alternative frankly, not nV.

Processor i7-13700k
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
I buy whatever price suggests and the company general attitude towards gaming scene. NVIDIA is just ruining it with their anal pushing of "exclusive" proprietary crap. I'd never mind anything PhysX related..

For the Record Nvidia was open to licensing PhysX, MS and Sony did for xbone/PS4's. AMD refused to purchase a license cause they believed nvidia should gave it out for free and that is kinda stupid for a company to have some net tech and give it away for free. AMD claims to make their stuff open although mantle has been far from it, and their profits are a fraction what nvidia is, wonder why?

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
No one seems to even know if this new Alien: Isolation game will even be worth playing and I see a whole lot of arguing about stuff that seems like arguing for the sake of arguing.

So AMD bought ATI and tried to make the best of it.

So nVidia bought Ageia and tried to make the best of it (PhysX)

So nVidia bought 3DFX and tried to make the best of it (SLI)

So what?

I buy both AMD and nVidia video cards and I just don't care if there is a proprietary subset of features for said cards.

For the Record Nvidia was open to licensing PhysX, MS and Sony did for xbone/PS4's. AMD refused to purchase a license cause they believed nvidia should gave it out for free and that is kinda stupid for a company to have some net tech and give it away for free. AMD claims to make their stuff open although mantle has been far from it, and their profits are a fraction what nvidia is, wonder why?
Physx licensing to the consoles is just nvidia trying to stay relavent in a space where they have lost all control of. A company does not have to have proprietor things to make money from it, if their system is well designed, they can still profit from it since they know the design better than their competitors. Mantle is brought up every time people talk about open source things and I am pretty sure AMD isn't making it open yet is just because it is still in closed beta as they said it. They have nothing to gain to put a wall there in the long run because nobody is ever going to pay for mantle. AMD will gain much more from mantle if people use it for free than they will ever do by selling it closed. AMD never refused to purchase a license for physx, physx was just never relevant enough in gaming for AMD to bother. AMD always seem to have no problem putting other companies' IPs into their designs, they just don't bother putting physx in because there is no good reason to.

No one seems to even know if this new Alien: Isolation game will even be worth playing and I see a whole lot of arguing about stuff that seems like arguing for the sake of arguing.

So AMD bought ATI and tried to make the best of it.

So nVidia bought Ageia and tried to make the best of it (PhysX)

So nVidia bought 3DFX and tried to make the best of it (SLI)

So what?

I buy both AMD and nVidia video cards and I just don't care if there is a proprietary subset of features for said cards.

Just for the record, SLI (Scalable Link Interface) from NVIDIA has nothing to do with 3dfx SLI (Scan-Line Interleave).

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Physx licensing to the consoles is just nvidia trying to stay relavent in a space where they have lost all control of. A company does not have to have proprietor things to make money from it, if their system is well designed, they can still profit from it since they know the design better than their competitors. Mantle is brought up every time people talk about open source things and I am pretty sure AMD isn't making it open yet is just because it is still in closed beta as they said it. They have nothing to gain to put a wall there in the long run because nobody is ever going to pay for mantle. AMD will gain much more from mantle if people use it for free than they will ever do by selling it closed. AMD never refused to purchase a license for physx, physx was just never relevant enough in gaming for AMD to bother. AMD always seem to have no problem putting other companies' IPs into their designs, they just don't bother putting physx in because there is no good reason to.

Equally nVidia can already beat AMD in games running Mantle anyway. Besides it's AMD trying to make their CPU's more relevant seeing as nVidia don't sell weaker CPU's that play second fiddle to Intel.

With DX12 coming I'd say they have no good reason to support Mantle either.

Equally nVidia can already beat AMD in games running Mantle anyway. Besides it's AMD trying to make their CPU's more relevant seeing as nVidia don't sell weaker CPU's that play second fiddle to Intel.

With DX12 coming I'd say they have no good reason to support Mantle either.
Its not about nvidia beating AMD or anything of the such. Mantle and DX12 enable games to better take advantage of multiple cores. It helps everyone running a modern CPU. Nvidia will never support mantle, but game developers might do so if it doesn't cost anything to add to their game. Intel will support mantle before nvidia does. Intel might support mantle if it becomes more relevant but its very unlikely any time soon. We will have to wait and see if AMD can deliver with mantle once DX12 comes out because they will be able to do more with mantle than microsoft can with DX12 because of specialization in the architecture. Who knows, maybe they will be able to put mantle into openGL and it will one day just work on openGL for every AMD card.

Processor i7-13700k
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Its not about nvidia beating AMD or anything of the such. Mantle and DX12 enable games to better take advantage of multiple cores. It helps everyone running a modern CPU. Nvidia will never support mantle, but game developers might do so if it doesn't cost anything to add to their game. Intel will support mantle before nvidia does. Intel might support mantle if it becomes more relevant but its very unlikely any time soon. We will have to wait and see if AMD can deliver with mantle once DX12 comes out because they will be able to do more with mantle than microsoft can with DX12 because of specialization in the architecture. Who knows, maybe they will be able to put mantle into openGL and it will one day just work on openGL for every AMD card.

Mantle does cost extra cause you have to modify the game code to use it, which also requires more time to debug etc. Most games with mantle now got a check from AMD to add it.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Physx licensing to the consoles is just nvidia trying to stay relavent in a space where they have lost all control of. A company does not have to have proprietor things to make money from it, if their system is well designed, they can still profit from it since they know the design better than their competitors. Mantle is brought up every time people talk about open source things and I am pretty sure AMD isn't making it open yet is just because it is still in closed beta as they said it.
Wouldn't matter if Mantle was open source - although anyone with any knowledge of tech history would know that AMD are keeping it closed currently to retain a marketing edge. AMD aren't a software company as they've proved many times - you think that if Intel, and particularly Nvidia, with their software teams, had code access they couldn't accelerate the code refining process?
Do you also think that AMD could run the risk of Nvidia tuning Mantle to a degree that it rivals or exceeds what AMD are achieving? What kind of marketing edge does that bestow on a company that developed the API.

Anyhow, as I said it a moot point. Unless the API is truly open - i.e. development and future spec changes are handled by a consortium of partners, neither Intel or Nvidia would sign up for the exact same reason that AMD wouldn't buy into PhysX. The company might be privy to code and its usage but you are trusting development and your future to a competitor which is a big gamble for any company. If you think that is an exaggeration then tech history is littered with similar examples.