• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital No Longer Honoring Warranties on OEM or Bare Drives.

Yes, to the end user. Go back and re-read the information that has been posted in the thread.

No, NOT to the end user. I've been buying WD drives for 20+ years (been buying them for resale/business over the past 5 years as I now own a computer repair business), and they have NEVER warrantied or offered RMA to the end user on any drives other than those which come in retail boxes. "Bare drive" and OEM are the same thing. They are meant to be sold to system builders, and the system builder is expected to provide warranty service. The retailer/OEM has their own channel for returning defective drives within the stated warranty period.

It's no different than OEM versions of Windows - Microsoft will not, under ANY circumstances, provide support for OEM versions of Windows, because part of the OEM partner agreement that the OEM/System Builder signs is that THEY provide a tech support channel.

The reason it is more prominent now is that you can pick up bare/OEM drives just about anywhere, including major retailers (such as Newegg, TigerDirect, and brick-and-mortars like MicroCenter), whereas you used to only find them at computer shows (once the hidden treasure of the computer building world, now largely extinct). It doesn't change the fact that the retailer who sold you the drive is expected to honor the warranty. I had to laugh at the guy who claims to be suing WD. It's a waste of money because he is going to lose. If a warranty has been advertised, it is the sole responsibility of the retailer, NOT WD.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
There is terminology difference between a "bare drive" (which may/may not also be retail) and a "OEM drive"

Unfortunately, the lines here seem to be blurring.

There is terminology difference between a "bare drive" (which may/may not also be retail) and a "OEM drive"

Unfortunately, the lines here seem to be blurring.

No there isn't, and there has never been. They mean the same thing: A cheaper drive with no retail packaging, no software or accessories, designed to be installed in a preconfigured system with no end-user warranty from the manufacturer. Like I said, I've dealt with WD for over 20 years, and their policy has always been crystal clear - it it doesn't come in a full retail box, it doesn't have a warranty from them.

The only thing that's blurry is some people's understanding of how warranties work.

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
No there isn't, and there has never been. They mean the same thing: A cheaper drive with no retail packaging, no software or accessories, designed to be installed in a preconfigured system with no end-user warranty from the manufacturer. Like I said, I've dealt with WD for over 20 years, and their policy has always been crystal clear - it it doesn't come in a full retail box, it doesn't have a warranty from them.

The only thing that's blurry is some people's understanding of how warranties work.

Bare drives are OEM drives that are sold per a retailer by themselves in an anti static bag. The warranty is covered by the manufacture of the drive. An OEM drive comes installed with a PC and the warranty is covered by the manufacture of the PC not the Drives manufacture. SO There IS a difference. If its build by a small custom PC builder it may be covered by both.

See when a Manufascture like Dell buys bulk drives they are not added to any warranty program. So will not come up on the warranty lists with the manufacture if you try to RMA the drive. However most companies will warranty them anyway

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

You are clearly wrong as evidenced by other manufacturers policies. I regulary buy both bare and OEM Hitachi Ultrastars and on the OEM ones there is no warranty except from my distributor. The packaging looks identical except for a "OEM" stamp on the drive. HGST honors the warranties on their bare Ultrastars, and always has. You are basically just proving WD is the exception to the rule if that's their policy to lump the two together.

The packaging looks identical except for a "OEM" stamp on the drive.

That's pretty funny, since every single one of these are OEM. They came out of (mostly Dell and HP) laptops. Not a single one mentions "OEM" anywhere on it.

Same with these. All were in OEM systems.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
The OEM stamp may be applied by the distributor to indicate their warranty practice, unsure. I'm certainly not trying to be deceitful.

And I have a feeling a lot of those above may be bare drives rather than explicit OEMs, as you include other manufacturers. Did you buy them off newegg? Or a respectable distributor? Besides the confusion over WD, most normal distributors do not sell actual OEM drives.

EDIT: Yep, the Seagates are at least end user (Seagates term for retail) bare drives, as shown here:

Check your own serial numbers man.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Oh wow, I need to learn to read. Those were pulled from working systems? No one else worked on them? Wow. This just muddies things up more tbh. It means we can't rely on serial checks.

Last edited:
The OEM stamp may be applied by the distributor to indicate their warranty practice, unsure. I'm certainly not trying to be deceitful.

And I have a feeling a lot of those above may be bare drives rather than explicit OEMs, as you include other manufacturers. Did you buy them off newegg? Or a respectable distributor? Besides the confusion over WD, most normal distributors do not sell actual OEM drives.

EDIT: Yep, the Seagates are at least end user (Seagates term for retail) bare drives, as shown here:

Check your own serial numbers man.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Oh wow, I need to learn to read. Those were pulled from working systems? No one else worked on them? Wow. This just muddies things up more tbh. It means we can't rely on serial checks.

I didn't buy them from anywhere. I own a computer repair business and they are all failed out of customers' systems. The majority are out of HP and Dell laptops. That's about a month's worth right there. :D

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
It was my understanding, and maybe our rep can jump in here, that when a company such as WD sold drives to a manufacturer, they sold them a "bank" of serial numbers, and these drives, no matter the quality (blue vs black etc), are covered by the OEM partner.

For example, the WD black that I just had replaced on a laptop yesterday is only covered by the 3 year Dell warranty, not the 5 that a WD Black normally warrants. You can purchase "bare" drives from resellers such as Newegg (like the WD Black 2TB I bought last week which came in an anti-stat bag, in a brown cardboard box), and those are covered by the manufacturer (WD in this case). I can verifiy this by the fact that with all this noise, I went to verify my warranty, and discovered that I was missing out on 3 months coverage, contacted WD and had them bump the warranty up by three months with my proof of purchase.

There is a difference, at least specifically for WD, in "OEM" and "Bare Drive". OEM are drives provided to manufacturing businesses, and are (usually in my experience) covered by the OEM provider (Dell, HP, etc). Bare drives can be purchased online from companies like Amazon and Newegg, and are covered by the full manufacturer's warranty (WD). Retail can be purchased online (Amazon) and in B&M stores (Best Buy, Office Staples Max), and are also covered by the full Manufacturer warranty.

The lesson to be learned, without all the epeen going on, is check your warranty upon purchase of a drive from any reseller. In a computer, expect the drive to only be covered by the PC warranty. If there's a discrepancy, contact the HD company, and request resolution.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I didn't buy them from anywhere. I own a computer repair business and they are all failed out of customers' systems. The majority are out of HP and Dell laptops. That's about a month's worth right there. :D

You have THAT many failing drives /Month ?!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
People aren't going to bring their computer to a repair shop unless there is something wrong with it. I think the chance of getting people coming in with dead drives would probably rather high compared to all other issues. It's #1 high failure prone component from my experience. I've lost more HDDs than any other piece of hardware, however it seems that DRAM is pretty high up there as well, be it in the form of DIMMs or VRAM.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Then that does indeed seem to be odd that the serial number detection tools treat them like they would have honored the warranty... weird.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
People aren't going to bring their computer to a repair shop unless there is something wrong with it.

Yeah...thanks for clearing that up..O_O

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

I know. I thought people just brought them in to keep us employed... my world view has been shattered. :(

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
I know. I thought people just brought them in to keep us employed... my world view has been shattered. :(

Dont feel bad.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Well, you did say:
I read that as not noticing that they weren't his drives. :p

That's actually BS. I've bought all 4 WD 1TB from NewEgg as "bare drives." Two of them were DOA and they honored RMA on them. So no, box has nothing to do with it. If the drive was sold to a company that sells a computer with the drive inside of it, they don't honor warranty, you need to contact the vendor. That's really all I got out of this initial discussion.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Well my though is why would you hold on to the drives if they needed replacing and no longer work?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Well my though is why would you hold on to the drives if they needed replacing and no longer work?
Maybe he just hasn't recycled them yet? I think there are probably better things for him to do than to make a trip to the transfer station every day instead of once a month or something like that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Good question, actually.

He may just be a slob like me... I have a few drives laying around too. ;)

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Well, you did say:
I read that as not noticing that they weren't his drives. :p

No, i was just basically surprised @ the amount of drives he/she pulled in a month..thats all.I see 30 drives, and there may be more...Business is good.

i live in Western Massachusetts, and We have 5 Colleges in a 30 mile radius NOT including community colleges..... Here students tend to just toss the Whole PC/Laptop, and We end up with piles of them instead. oranges and apples.

Last edited:

In all honesty this was a heavy month all around.. I usually get about half to 3/4 of that - but it's overwhelmingly laptop drives, because laptops get knocked around and G-forces kill read heads. We've had really bad thunderstorms nearly every night and I've seen a ton of lightning/surge related damage. I've done about 15 insurance quotes in the past 3 weeks (by the way, I'm the only repair guy in town, LOL) for people whose power lines took direct strikes and killed everything in their houses. Wanna see my boxes of dead motherboards and power supplies? :D

Then that does indeed seem to be odd that the serial number detection tools treat them like they would have honored the warranty... weird.

They have changed the end-user tools since I last used them. For example any of the WD drives wouldn't say a warranty status, they used to tell you that it is an OEM product and to seek support from the system builder. Now the three I have just say "Out of warranty".

Say it ain't so! :D

Maybe he just hasn't recycled them yet? I think there are probably better things for him to do than to make a trip to the transfer station every day instead of once a month or something like that.

Good question, actually.

He may just be a slob like me... I have a few drives laying around too. ;)

LOL the regular e-waste (motherboards, cards, power supplies) gets recycled. I have a guy that comes by twice a month and takes everything. Old hard drives pose a security problem, so I either take them out to the country to use as target practice, or else I have a friend with a 50 horsepower tree shredder.. Both ways are fun.. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
LOL the regular e-waste (motherboards, cards, power supplies) gets recycled. I have a guy that comes by twice a month and takes everything. Old hard drives pose a security problem, so I either take them out to the country to use as target practice, or else I have a friend with a 50 horsepower tree shredder.. Both ways are fun..

Yup...one of the best parts is REALLY breaking the Components......PULL!!!....

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

I kill my non-sensitive drives data with the following:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

Of course, your way is both more fun, and more secure.

Haha no, I did trap shooting with them once.. Then I had to go find the ones I missed. Then I had to go find them again.. It wasn't fun! They're better fodder for my Savage 110 Bolt Action .338 :pimp:

I kill my non-sensitive drives data with the following:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

Of course, your way is both more fun, and more secure.

Can't do that with failed drives.. ;)

Tsunamijhoe

To whom it may concern.

There has now been an udate regarding the OEM warranty

After a LOT of back and forth with WD,and lawsuit threats, they have suddenly agreed to accept the serials on the drives i bought,and thus honor the warranty that should have been there to begin with. They have not provided a full explanation as to how OEM drives ended up in the retail chain, but hinted at distributor problems. WD has said OEM drives should NOT be available for purchase at consumer level retailers.

This is the wording from the last e-mail i recieved from the WD representative:

I am glad to inform you that Western Digital head department had updated drives status and now those drives were added to your account and OEM mark was removed from those serial numbers.
Also we have received confirmation that those drives shouldn't be sold to a reseller in the first place. Unfortunately, it is not possible to follow their way into the shop.
For future references we strongly recommend to register the drives just after the purchase.
And if there will be any issues please contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

We will now go ahead and close your case. However, if you want us to reopen it or if you require further assistance, please reply.

>From my side, thank you for your time and all the best to you.

Thank you for using Western Digital products and services!