• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't boot with new gfx card

MrSnuggles

Hi everyone!

I'm having a problem, and I hope someone can help me please. I just built a new computer, and put my older graphics card into it, along with existing hard drive, DVD writer.

The motherboard is an ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA, fitted with 2GB of DDRII RAM. The processor is a dual core AMD 64. The graphics card I want to install is a Radeon 9800SE card with 128Mb of memory. The problem I am having is this: when I install the card, and plug in the 12v floppy type power connector, as required, then switch the PC on, the CPU and gfx fans spin up for about a second and then stop. I don't get anything on the monitor, the PC doesn't boot at all, not even into the BIOS.

If I disconnect the 12v supply from the gfx card, the PC boots, but it beeps furiously, and a message on the screen says I have to plug in the 12v power connector! Obviously, if I do that the PC does not work at all! arrgh! :banghead: Can someone help me please???

Thanks!

Namslas90

Did you reset CMOS before initial bootup? DId you check jumper settings on mobo? Did you read "caution statement 8" on page 8 of your mobo manual?

:toast:

MrSnuggles

Yes

Yes

I Assume you mean page 7? This is a 1.5v card, not a 3.3v one, so it's OK....

Namslas90

Try one stick of RAM, Also did you redo/check the thermal paste on CPU HS?

MrSnuggles

Yeah, i'm using an old 32MB Diamond Stealth III card...no 3D desktop on my Linux system for now :(

The other odd thing...this mobo is supposed to support 8x AGP, but in the BIOS, it would only allow 4x.

Would you recommend a BIOS update?

MrSnuggles

Thermal paste, yup the CPU came with it on, attached the heatsink with no probs. oh, yeah, the RAM...2GB DDRII 5300...everything is running sweet as honey...I'm writing this post on the PC in question now, albeit with the diamond gfx card.

Namslas90

Thermal paste, yup the CPU came with it on, attached the heatsink with no probs. oh, yeah, the RAM...2GB DDRII 5300...everything is running sweet as honey...I'm writing this post on the PC in question now, albeit with the diamond gfx card.

Ok so then it boots OK, just not with the GFX card. Must be a BIOS seting, Lookin at it now.

Namslas90

BIOS options to check

CPU CONFIGURATION SCREEN AGP Freq...66

CHIPSET CONFIGURATION SCREEN
AGP Data Rate ...8X(check)
AGP Aperature...I guess 32(check specs on what card requires)
AGP fast write...Disable
AGP side band address...Disable(not positive/getting to old to remember this stuff)
Primary Graphics Adapter...AGP
AGP voltage...AUTO

Other than that is the card in the proper slot,LOL!

MrSnuggles

OK, I changed to those settings as you said, and it didn't make any difference. The PC still refuses to even boot with the 12v power connector attached, and if I remove it, I then get the same message on the screen telling me to attach it!

MrSnuggles

Hmm...it sounds like the same problem I'm having....I'll have to post there and say 'Me Too!'
Right now I'll have to leave this coz it's late, and my soundblaster 5.1 Live! soundcard isn't working properly either, sound is only coming out of one speaker....:(

Thanks for the help so far tho! :)

Namslas90

Hmm...it sounds like the same problem I'm having....I'll have to post there and say 'Me Too!'
Right now I'll have to leave this coz it's late, and my soundblaster 5.1 Live! soundcard isn't working properly either, sound is only coming out of one speaker....:(

Thanks for the help so far tho! :)

Did you check #11, about the power connections? 12v vs 4 pin?
that member said; "Now what I didn't realise was that the extra +12v connector near the CPU (on my board) - ALSO had to be connected...it wasn't ATX power OR the +12v...it was ATX + 4 pins + 12v connector...without that the system wouldn't post."

Last edited:

MrSnuggles

Yeah, I did. my PSU's main mobo connector can be split into a 20 and a 4 pin one. But I also have a second 4 pin connector coming out of the PSU, with 2 black and 2 yellw wires, and I've used this one to connect to the mobo. without it the PC will not POST - I've tried it...So I should use the other 4 pin connector then? hmm...this won't blow the mobo will it? :eek:

Namslas90

Yeah, I did. my PSU's main mobo connector can be split into a 20 and a 4 pin one. But I also have a second 4 pin connector coming out of the PSU, with 2 black and 2 yellw wires, and I've used this one to connect to the mobo. without it the PC will not POST - I've tried it...So I should use the other 4 pin connector then? hmm...this won't blow the mobo will it? :eek:

I don't think you want to use the +4 connector from the 12pin, no.

Namslas90

Is there "another" 4 pin connector on the MOBO? That guy talks like there are 2?, did you double check the connections it's possable to plug in a standard 4 pin rotated 90°.

Last edited:

MrSnuggles

OK, I have made some progress - I have got my PC to boot with the radeon gfx card. This is what I did. I unplugged the floppy connector from the card, and started the system. Before the PC beeped at me and before I got the connect power connector message on screen, I plugged in the power connector. This allwed the PC to boot up. The problem I have now, is when I turn the PC off and restart it - everytime I have to go through this procedure of unplugging the connector and reconnecting it. a bit of a PITA.

MrSnuggles

OK, I have made a solution...sort of. I have cut off a floppy connector from an old PSU. I plugged this into the gfx card power slot. Then I connected the yellow, and both black wires to the floppy connector in the new PCs PSU.

Then I found a small switch and some lengths of wire, and connected this to the red wire, which I cut into. The other bit of the red wire is connected into the floppy connector, like all the rest I just described. Then I drilled a hole in one of the spare optical drive bay covers, and mounted this switch here on the front of the PC. It works by cutting the supply to the gfx card, allowing the system to boot up. I make sure I switch it on a few seconds after pressing the PCs main power on switch. This means that the system powers up, and power comes to the gfx card before it beeps and I get a warning message telling me there's no power supply. I agree, it's a bit crude, but it works. I think the final solution would be to get a more robust PSU... PITA, since this is a brand new case with a brand new 400w PSU. to rub salt into the wound, I ran this gfx card on the old PSU, which was rated at 235w!