• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What linux for gaming with ATI cards?!?!?!?

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Okay I'm NOT buying new video cards... Check the system you will know why....

Anyways I am running Fedora now, but I want full hardware rendering for my video, and well that doesn't fly under Fedora...

So what versions can I run that I can get a few windows games to run under, and will support my ati video card?!?!?

Doesn't have to be a RPM based system either, I don't care what type it is.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
In your system specs you list you have Crossfire - I don't think ATi have release any support for Crossfire in Linux.

ATi Linux 8.39.4 Release Notes.

Shame really as I plan to move over to Ubuntu fully once ATi pull their finger out and get better drivers. Unfortunately with how things are going for them now, I doubt we'll see any vast improvements any time soon. Crossfire support for Linux may not be a priority considering their aren't many graphically demanding games that run natively in Linux.

I can only think of the Unreal games and id Software's.

Another thing to look into is Cedega and there is another one... CodeWeavers' CrossOver. Might be worth checking these out.

Last edited:
System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3A
Cooling Noctua
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G-Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Display(s) Sony Bravia 37" 1080p
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
linux aint for gaming full stop unless your a w1z (like the pun?) with the command line and even then at best gaming on linux is dissapointing, why not dual boot with XP and just use XP for gaming, afterall it is the best at it :D

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Mouse Logitech G502x
linux aint for gaming full stop unless your a w1z (like the pun?) with the command line and even then at best gaming on linux is dissapointing, why not dual boot with XP and just use XP for gaming, afterall it is the best at it :D

NOT!

Anyways its this system and my other 3 systems which have single ATI cards, x1950xt, x1950xt, and a x1300xt. Of course my friends 2 systems also will run the same os x1300pro and a x1650pro.

I am trying to get away from windows completely here. As we all know Vista was a joke, dx10 is a mess, I'm not paying for another MS OS, and well needless to say things like my sound card actually run BETTER under linux.

So until MS does something like Apple did when they went from OS9 to OSX I wont touch a new version of windows.

I have slightly considered getting into writing drivers to support basic functions under linux. But that would be quite time consuming and even harder to tweak out.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
So until MS does something like Apple did when they went from OS9 to OSX I wont touch a new version of windows.

:toast:

Well freaking said! - Unfortunately, for us Linux (as you know niko) doesn't have the funding Microshaft does. If only some big fat ass corporation would throw money into Ubuntu or something, dev's would be more likely do work on more Linux based software - especially games.

I have slightly considered getting into writing drivers to support basic functions under linux. But that would be quite time consuming and even harder to tweak out.

Excellent to hear that - keep at it dude! Linux needs as much support as it can get. I'm still a noob when it comes to Linux but I'm learning, slowly. :)

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
:toast:

Well freaking said! - Unfortunately, for us Linux (as you know niko) doesn't have the funding Microshaft does. If only some big fat ass corporation would throw money into Ubuntu or something, dev's would be more likely do work on more Linux based software - especially games.

Excellent to hear that - keep at it dude! Linux needs as much support as it can get. I'm still a noob when it comes to Linux but I'm learning, slowly. :)

I am working with it... And actually a lot of big freeware linux names are funded and helped by big corporations... Like IBM Red Hat and Fedora, Ubuntu I believe is helped by Novel *Suse*.

They are helped and get good money, the problem is its not enough and it being open source yes things get done right but it takes a lot of time between things.

Linux is a long ways from being an everyday desktop option to even 10% of the world, but its on its way, and it will keep getting pushed more and more the more MS screws around.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
... Ubuntu I believe is helped by Novel *Suse*.

Really? Where did you get this information, is a recent thing? I can't see Novel helping out a competitor. I thought Ubuntu was funded by Mark Shuttleworth's Canonical Ltd.

They are helped and get good money, the problem is its not enough...

Such a freaking shame. :(

Linux is a long ways from being an everyday desktop option to even 10% of the world, but its on its way, and it will keep getting pushed more and more the more MS screws around.

I agree with you on this, but only slightly - you could easily use Linux as a basic home desktop - most Windows users aren't techies like us. They're just the generic people that want it to work like a TV, but with added ability of writing & printing letters. Surfing the net, viewing pictures and watching DVDs.

This can all be done in Linux with little fuss - albeit, it'd have to set up for them as it is when you buy a new Windows based set up. Which is why I've started to change my mind about Dell computers - they now offer the same, Windows based set ups, but with Ubuntu instead. That, I'd buy them a pint for. ;)

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
Really? Where did you get this information, is a recent thing? I can't see Novel helping out a competitor. I thought Ubuntu was funded by Mark Shuttleworth's Canonical Ltd.

Such a freaking shame. :(

I agree with you on this, but only slightly - you could easily use Linux as a basic home desktop - most Windows users aren't techies like us. They're just the generic people that want it to work like a TV, but with added ability of writing & printing letters. Surfing the net, viewing pictures and watching DVDs.

This can all be done in Linux with little fuss - albeit, it'd have to set up for them as it is when you buy a new Windows based set up. Which is why I've started to change my mind about Dell computers - they now offer the same, Windows based set ups, but with Ubuntu instead. That, I'd buy them a pint for. ;)

Well it can but most also want music and ease of use, currently they would have to "learn it" it doesn't look enough like "windows" so they don't want to go near it. Let alone the fact they can't run every single piece of software and game they pick up on the net or off the shelf at bestbuy. And the geek squad can't fix it if something goes wrong. Even my grandparents download stupid games and buy games all the time, heck they threw a fit because a MAC game wouldn't run on their old P3 Win ME system.

And if BestBuy, CircuitCity, CompUSA and other large retailers won't support the systems they sell *and they can't support linux* people as a whole wont start to buy them up.

I was mistaken I don't remember which version Novel supports but they do support one of them. There are a lot of dead broke free projects going on but there are a few big ones that are getting pushed by large corporations which is nice.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
You've hit the nail on the head with some very valid points, but new users to Windows had/have to learn that too. Ubuntu can easily be customised to work like Windows and in my opinion can be operated, better. But y'right - because Windows has the monopoly and everyone is used to it, hardly anyone can be arsed to change. Even some of my friends are too freaking pussy to even attempt Linux & despise OS X simply because it's not Windows - it's this sort of mentality that is killing Linux becoming a proper alternative to Windows.

niko084 said:
Well it can but most also want music and ease of use, currently they would have to "learn it" it doesn't look enough like "windows" so they don't want to go near it. Let alone the fact they can't run every single piece of software and game they pick up on the net or off the shelf at bestbuy.

With my statement about Ubuntu easily being a basic, user friendly desktop - I still stand by it. You get most Office applications free with most distros which are Microshaft .doc safe. As well some free games - not the target audience I was trying to describe, as they wouldn't be the sort to play graphically intense games - image editing software and audio/visual software.

niko084 said:
And if BestBuy, CircuitCity, CompUSA and other large retailers won't support the systems they sell *and they can't support linux* people as a whole wont start to buy them up.

This is why I like the fact Dell are supporting Ubuntu - it means the people that'd go and buy a Dell might be more inclined to purchase the same set up as the one with Windows, but at a lower price. Then they would get the support needed. It's this sort of support all variations of Linux need really - especially if they want to hit the home desktop market. It's just a shame the ones that do have this kind of long term support are mainly for businesses.

In the end, we can only support our favourite Linux distros as much as we can! Try to educate the ignorant Windows users that their is life outside of that quad-coloured flappy flag.

Have you tried Ubuntu at all niko? I freaking love it - had some issue with it to get my X1950 supported but I managed to in the end. Until my freaking HDD failed and I lost both Ubuntu & my XP partition. Have no idea what happen, it just didn't want to read anything. Luckily I was able to reformat and re-install I just haven't got around to messing with Ubuntu again. Weirdly, Windows is in need of a refresh - wasn't 6 months ago this happened and Windows is already sluggish and acting in it's typical odd behaviour.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
I actually installed it about 30 minutes ago on one of my machines going to give it a shot and see how it runs.

Really want hardware rendering....

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
I'll try and help you out as much as I can if you need it - good way for me to learn, and two heads are (sometimes) better than one. ;)

This Wiki might be of some worth, helped me a lot when I was messing around with Breezy Badger (v5.10).

Think I'll finish off my XP Slipstream DVD and reformat in the morning. Then see if I can get Feisty Fawn up and running. :)

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Dandel

Processor AMD Athlon II X4 630 (3.5ghz)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer
Memory 2x2g A-Data DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD5770
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Power Supply FSP FX600-GLN
Software Win7 x64 pro
Linux ATI driver configuration is easy, although if you wanna do dual monitors, where 1 of them is a Television. although i will say you need to disable AIGLX for now due to the fact that ati's driver does not support this yet.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
Linux ATI driver configuration is easy, although if you wanna do dual monitors, where 1 of them is a Television. although i will say you need to disable AIGLX for now due to the fact that ati's driver does not support this yet.

Problem isn't driver configuration its hardware level rendering under beryl for Fedora.

Dandel

Processor AMD Athlon II X4 630 (3.5ghz)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer
Memory 2x2g A-Data DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD5770
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Power Supply FSP FX600-GLN
Software Win7 x64 pro
System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
System Name Media PC
Processor Intel Core-i5 4460
Motherboard Asus H97i plus
Cooling Noctua LH-9i with upgraded NF-A9, x2 Noctua NF-F12
Memory 8GB x2 Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz kit
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Super clocked GTX970 itx
Storage 1TB western digital black 2.5"
Display(s) Samsung 55" Plasma
Case Fractal Design Node 202
Audio Device(s) Onboard DSP, sound forwarded to Onkyo receiver in 2.1 mode
Power Supply Fractal Design 430w itx PSU
Mouse Logitech Wireless gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech Wireless, Xbox One S controller
Software Windows 10 pro
didn't AMD say a few months ago that they would be putting a lot more time and effort into their Linux drivers?

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
Well they support the x1k series now, but the issue is I can't get it to stop running in software rendering mode... I can't get hardware level rendering out of the cards, so they are slower than a Trident 2mb pci.... "Not really but you get the idea"

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
That just sucks - it's probably futile for me to say this, but I will anyway... but have you asked on the distro you're using forums? I'll scan through the Ubuntu forums when I can.

I recently signed up to Driver-Heaven.net so I'll see if any of them there are working on ATi Linux drivers.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
That just sucks - it's probably futile for me to say this, but I will anyway... but have you asked on the distro you're using forums? I'll scan through the Ubuntu forums when I can.

I recently signed up to Driver-Heaven.net so I'll see if any of them there are working on ATi Linux drivers.

I have not even signed up yet i just installed it one 1 machine, my partner is working on it on his machine at home currently. I'm going to be shutting down here shortly and installing it on this machine *one in my specs*.... See what happens... I'll have to take out my other card quick though just to make sure I don't have any serious issues.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
Before you disappear, have you made sure you have everything you need?

I hope it all works flawlessly and that you'll come back all ecstatic with your new found OS.

WOW! I can be optimistic - that didn't hurt that much either. :O

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
I have a bunch of stuff written down, and the system will give me full access to my network and such so it wont be a problem to get online and get some drivers and software after I'm installed.

I can always reboot into windows or jump on another computer and burn a cd anyways.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
Excellent!

Look forward to reading your reply.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
Well in it now running good right off the bat, had a small issue with the boot loader but easily fixed. Updating misc things now and I'll get to playing around with the drivers and hardware support.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i