• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IBM Being Sued After $1.4m Server Falls off Forklift

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Yet another crazy American lawsuit seems to be on the cards as federal contractor T.R. Systems Inc. attempts to sue IBM after a $1.4 million IBM server fell from a forklift truck during transit. According to T.R. Systems, the rear wheels of the forklift being used to move the server hit a raised surface, causing the server to rock slightly and break the pallet holding it, resulting in the server falling onto the curb and being damaged. In the court documents, T.R Systems said "The damages sustained by T.R. Systems were due to the poor workmanship and/or defective packaging design and methods used by IBM to pack the servers prior to shipping." However, IBM has already filed a motion with the court asking for the case to be dismissed claiming that the accident was down to the forklift truck's driver, stating "No evidence exists that anything but [T.R. Systems'] negligence caused this accident." Now T.R Systems is now trying to claim more than $1.4 million in damages as it was forced to buy a new server after IBM refused to take the server back to its facility for testing.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I hate stupid lawsuites like this. YOUR forklift driver dropped the damn thing, it is YOUR fault. Simple as that.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
why was the driver moving the server with the load raised 8 feet high? had the load been transported in the correct driving position the load wouldn't have fallen off.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
"Upon arrival in Virginia, a [T.R. Systems] employee, James Dickerson, used their forklift to remove the crated server from the tractor trailer, which had parked 30 to 40 yards from [the] warehouse door," IBM said in its defense filing. "Mr. Dickerson removed the server from the back of the truck with the aid of [the] forklift and then moved the server across the parking lot to plaintiff's warehouse door."

Why wasn't the truck backed up to the warehouse doors ? Most warehouses are designed such that the truck can back up to the door and the forklift can drive right into the truck, thus eliminating any need to raise the load more than a couple of inches.

Something is odd here. I think IBM's going to win this one.
I am a little surprised that they refused to take a look at the server or repair it (unless they were already being blamed and TR wanted them to do it for free).

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
T.R. Systems said IBM refused to go to its warehouse to inspect the damaged server and also refused to take the server back to its facility to test and/or repair it. As a result, T.R. Systems said it was forced to buy a new server and is suing IBM to recover its costs.

I agree....

You don't know what they were for, and downtime can mean big $$$$.

Last edited:
System Name Home/Work/Home
Processor Dual Xeon 5570 / Core i5-2.6Ghz / Dell Vostro 410 Xeon L5430
Motherboard Lenovo D20 / Dell 4110 / Vostro 410 G33 based
Cooling stock / stock / stock
Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
Video Card(s) 9800GT 512 / HD3000 / 9800GT 512 PCIE
Storage Geez Louise - a whole bunch !
Display(s) CRT Phillips Brilliance 204P
Case EATX / Laptop / Glorious Dell Vostro 410
Audio Device(s) stock / stock / stock
Power Supply stock / stock / stock
Mouse Zowie, is there another?
Keyboard Awesome Dell Natural (by Microsoft)
Software W2K3 Svr / W2K3 Svr
Benchmark Scores Alot / not so much / Working on it
IBM Chose the poor quality pallet that broke...Not the customer

IBM must accept full responsibility. IBM is responsible for all packing materials, including the pallet.

IBM has no legal standing, if T.R. Systems is telling the truth. IBM must prove T.R. is lying to the court.

DaMulta is also right, IBM has demonstrated negligence towards this customer who has just blown a cool million on their hardware.

Now IBM is taking all the bad press "up the ars"!:nutkick:

Regards,
jtleon

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
If they inspected the server and found no faults, it was put in, and started died and caused a loss of data.....

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
IBM has no legal standing, if T.R. Systems is telling the truth. IBM must prove T.R. is lying to the court.

Not true. IBM is the defendant. The burden of proof lies with T.R. Systems to prove IBM was negligent. (Innocent until proven guilty).

Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
Hmm....Kreij might be right....however

Not true. IBM is the defendant. The burden of proof lies with T.R. Systems to prove IBM was negligent. (Innocent until proven guilty).

T. R. merely needs to submit as evidence the broken pallet, and show the cause/nature of the break due to poor workmanship/construction materials. Also, it may be very clear to the court that IBM chose a pallet of insufficient design to protect a $1,000,000 product. T.R. may need to enlist the services of an expert witness to address the pallet design weaknesses.

IBM must prove (as the defendant) that said pallet workmanship and construction materials were structurally sound and said pallet design included the necessary factors of safety to be appropriate packaging for a $1,000,000 product.

Now if the pallet did not break, and IBM can prove so by re-enacting the incident with the same forklift, pallet, and curb, for the court, then they may have a substantive defense.

Note that the greatest burden of proof lies upon IBM, if T.R. properly structures their evidence.

It is quite ridiculous that IBM did not see fit to invest a little more in this customer to repair the server, rather than let the matter go to court. Has Corporate America become so pompous that the customer (i.e. corporate reputation) has no useful value to future business?

Regards,
jtleon

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
All IBM has to prove is that they use the standard packaging that is considered good enough for the job.

No pallet is designed to handle the strain of the load falling sideways because the forklift operator's poor driving, and no pallet or any packaging material is designed to handle that strain, and it shouldn't have to handle that type of strain.

The fact is, if the forklift operator had done his job correctly, and not ran over an uneven surface, the server would not have tipped over, and the pallet would not have broken. It is the forklift driver's responsibility to make sure he is unloading in a safe environment, he failed to do that, so it is his fault.

Why wasn't the truck backed up to the warehouse doors ? Most warehouses are designed such that the truck can back up to the door and the forklift can drive right into the truck, thus eliminating any need to raise the load more than a couple of inches.

Something is odd here. I think IBM's going to win this one.
I am a little surprised that they refused to take a look at the server or repair it (unless they were already being blamed and TR wanted them to do it for free).

A lot of businesses don't have loading docks that the truck can back up to like that.

And my guess is that TR wanted them to do it for free since they seem to think it is IBM's fault that their driver dropped the load.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
It's on who ever the driver worked for....I bet it wasnt a private contractor forklift driver.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
My guess would be he works for TR, since it was at TR's warehouse.

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
Well i don't know what know what the loading policies of TR or IBM are but i know that in shipping where i work as soon as the truck is stopped and opens its doors its contents are now our responsibility from that point on. It just sounds like a case where the forklift bumped into something, shifted the weight (the middle of the skid isn't as strong as near the outside edges) and the server probably just fell through. Not IBM's fault.

Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
Good points...Newtekie1...but did you consider...

All IBM has to prove is that they use the standard packaging that is considered good enough for the job.
Is defective packaging included as being "good enough"?

No pallet is designed to handle the strain of the load falling sideways because the forklift operator's poor driving, and no pallet or any packaging material is designed to handle that strain, and it shouldn't have to handle that type of strain.
Typical pallet construction has retention on both the top and bottom of the forks. Why did this pallet not stop the tip over as is typical? (btw, I have a current forklift operator certification and have seen many defective pallets)

The fact is, if the forklift operator had done his job correctly, and not ran over an uneven surface, the server would not have tipped over, and the pallet would not have broken. It is the forklift driver's responsibility to make sure he is unloading in a safe environment, he failed to do that, so it is his fault.
Be careful when using the "fact" word. Uneven surfaces cannot always be avoided, and you do not know if the tipping broke the pallet, or the pallet broke thereby allowing the tip over. Usual packaging with pallets uses high tensile strength bands that secure the object to the pallet - in many cases this banding is steel, such that even if the ?wooden? pallet did break, the steel banding would hold the load on the forks. Did IBM cut costs and not use typical banding???

A lot of businesses don't have loading docks that the truck can back up to like that. And my guess is that TR wanted them to do it for free since they seem to think it is IBM's fault that their driver dropped the load.
Fortunately, for all of our sakes, courts cannot operate on guesses, rather must have evidence. I'm sure that the fork truck operator was aware that he/she was moving very expensive equipment. Most disgruntled employees do not intend to do harm to major expense items - at risk of immediate termination. I'm sure that operator had to take a piss test immediately after the incident, as is normal policy.

In any event, IBM deserves the public scrutiny for allowing this issue to reach a courtroom.
Regards,
jtleon

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
You are correct about pallet construction, jt. But if IBM has shipped many of these servers with no incidents then TR will have to prove that the one they received was faulty.

The other question that is not eluded to in the article is whether or not the forklift was large enough for the item in question. Did the pallet break because it was not fully on the forks because it was so large ?

Inquiring minds want to know !! :D

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
if you read the source the item fell 8ft to the ground which to make sounds like the driver was transporting the goods raised and the higher the load the more off balanced the vehicle will be couple that with driving into the curb to me says driver error, so who ever employed the FLT driver has to bare the responsibility.

HAL7000

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz
Motherboard ECS KA3 MVP
Cooling stock
Memory Mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Video Card(s) X1900GT
Storage SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2004C 200GB
Display(s) Acer AL2051W 20" 8ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Case IN WIN IW-F430.RL Red
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy gamers edition
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad - Copper
Software XP Pro w/SP3
The server cabinets are packaged in sturdy crates. These crates are wooden boxes with a slots to allow it to be moved with a forklift. All one piece. We had 3 servers delivered and unloaded off the back of the truck, and into the server room. No mishaps.......their forklift driver screwed up big time. Didn't follow proper receiving/ transport protocol.
Unemployment line anyone?

Sh00t1st

System Name Battlefield 3
Processor Phenom II x3 715 heka unlocked to x4 3.3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE ga-ma785g-ud3h
Cooling arctic cooling freezer 64 pro
Memory 4 gig ddr2
Video Card(s) saphire 5770
Storage 60gb mushkin ssd,120 and 160 gig ide
Display(s) 1 19" crt, 2 17" crt
Case 30 dollar gaming case with fan grills removed
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 450 corsair
Software windows 7
Benchmark Scores Plays battlefield 3 well enough that i was ranked 1st globally in vehicles for november and december
after having worked for ups for about a year, i just have to say that this kind of shit is not uncommon, it must be about every month they drop a huge 100,000 dollar + dell blade server, the one i work at is in Austin where dell is so no wonder lol. all im saying is this shit isn't uncommon, especially with the way shippers usually do things, be they a small shipping division of ibm or a global bitch like ups he he. and by the way, we like to kick your shit at ups, so don't ship through them, any time someone packs a truck to full and we have to unload it we go at it with our legs :-D ie kicking the shit out of stuck boxes. I still remember this one huge blade server that weighed over 400 lbs, we sent that bitch to the trash compactor and insurance handled it, im wondering why did ibm not do the same, if the item doesnt exist the insurance companys pay for it :-D.

Memory 12Gb / 4Gb / 4Gb
Thanks HAL7000....Very good info.

The server cabinets are packaged in sturdy crates. These crates are wooden boxes with a slots to allow it to be moved with a forklift. All one piece. We had 3 servers delivered and unloaded off the back of the truck, and into the server room. No mishaps.......their forklift driver screwed up big time. Didn't follow proper receiving/ transport protocol.
Unemployment line anyone?

Indeed, as you describe, the pallet is integral to the crate design - an IBM responsibility. Most server cabinets are quite tall as well. (hmmm...what would a $1,000,000 IBM server look like?) Note that in the story, the fork truck had to travel about 40 yards with the load. I don't know many sober operators that would not drop the load down before traveling that distance - as a simple matter of visibility. Also, the 8 foot drop is most likely a tip over of a tall cabinet, such that the top corner of the cabinet tipped over 8 feet before striking the curb.

Apologies in advance to all for my persistence on this, I am unfortunately the Safety Director here at my day job. I have investigated too many accidents, and have developed an appetite for such effort.
Regards,
jtleon

Sh00t1st

Memory 4 gig ddr2
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 450 corsair
Software windows 7
Benchmark Scores Plays battlefield 3 well enough that i was ranked 1st globally in vehicles for november and december
ohhh yeah and also, guys who are saying you just fucking drive up into the trucks with a forklift, all i have to say to that is the trucks cant handle that shit if its anything over 3,000 lbs, thats one reason ups doesnt ship on pallets and use forklifts to pick them up. trucks hold tens of thousands of lbs but not in a 4 foot wide by 6 feet long spot in the trailer, it just cant hold that shit without breaking something, now that being said im not saying they never use forklifts, they do on the roller trucks, only sometimes tho, and even than the forklift doesnt go into the truck, it stays at the edge while you roll the pallet out onto the forks.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Is defective packaging included as being "good enough"?

Who says it was defective? How can you prove that it was defective? Because it broke while put under circumstances that it should have never been exposed to? That is like saying it was defective because the forklift operator set the palet on fire and it actually burned.

Typical pallet construction has retention on both the top and bottom of the forks. Why did this pallet not stop the tip over as is typical? (btw, I have a current forklift operator certification and have seen many defective pallets)

That is very nice that you are forklift certified, is the test to get that certification hard, or is it still the same 10 question POS from when I took it?

Be careful when using the "fact" word. Uneven surfaces cannot always be avoided, and you do not know if the tipping broke the pallet, or the pallet broke thereby allowing the tip over. Usual packaging with pallets uses high tensile strength bands that secure the object to the pallet - in many cases this banding is steel, such that even if the ?wooden? pallet did break, the steel banding would hold the load on the forks. Did IBM cut costs and not use typical banding???

TR themselves are claiming that forklift ran over an uneven surface and that cause the load to shift which caused the pallet to break and fall off the forks. Banding wouldn't have stopped this, it simply would have prevented the server from falling off the pallet, the pallet would have still fallen off the forks. And yes, usually uneven surfaces can always be avoided. You can always ask the truck driver to move if he has parked in a bad spot, and being a ex-forklift operator, I would refuse to unload things on an uneven surface for this specific reason. Any good forklift operator will refuse to unload on uneven surfaces, especially if they are unloading items worth $1.4M.

Fortunately, for all of our sakes, courts cannot operate on guesses, rather must have evidence. I'm sure that the fork truck operator was aware that he/she was moving very expensive equipment. Most disgruntled employees do not intend to do harm to major expense items - at risk of immediate termination. I'm sure that operator had to take a piss test immediately after the incident, as is normal policy.

I'm sure he was and I'm sure it came back clean. I doubt it was an issue of the forklift operator intentially causing any harm, he made a mistake. The problem is that it was his mistake, and hence the mistake of the company that employeed him, not the company that shipped the item he dropped.

In any event, IBM deserves the public scrutiny for allowing this issue to reach a courtroom.
Regards,
jtleon

Well that depends, if TR was being unreasonable about the situation then IBM should let it go to court.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
Only reason they are suing IBM is the forklift driver doesn't have billions in cash and assets. Greedy bastards are going for the gold nothing more.

Sh00t1st

Memory 4 gig ddr2
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 450 corsair
Software windows 7
and guys, i work with forklifts every month at my other job, we use them to transport stage peices, which almost always way over 1/2 ton, there are 1/2 boxes 1 ton 2 ton and 4 ton, what we do with them is we load 2 "never two 4 tons at once" one on top of the other and than drive them about 100 feet up a ramp than another 100 feet to the trailer to be loaded on, and we do this about 50 times a night for each forklift driver, so dont tell me that a good forklift driver cant do that shit lol, thats insulting my uncle who got me the job and has been a forklift driver for 20 years.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Indeed, as you describe, the pallet is integral to the crate design - an IBM responsibility. Most server cabinets are quite tall as well. (hmmm...what would a $1,000,000 IBM server look like?) Note that in the story, the fork truck had to travel about 40 yards with the load. I don't know many sober operators that would not drop the load down before traveling that distance - as a simple matter of visibility. Also, the 8 foot drop is most likely a tip over of a tall cabinet, such that the top corner of the cabinet tipped over 8 feet before striking the curb.

Apologies in advance to all for my persistence on this, I am unfortunately the Safety Director here at my day job. I have investigated too many accidents, and have developed an appetite for such effort.
Regards,
jtleon

I don't now many good operators that wouldn't ask for assistance in travelling that distance due to the visability issue, or do it in reverse looking out the back of the forklift(this seems to be the case since it claims he backed over the eneven ground causing the tip).

However, this raises a new issue, perhaps he had it raised so high so that he could see under it? I know a lot of rookie forklift operators tend to do this.