• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No news in any other section than news?

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Erm, something seems wrong with that to me. Since there are only a select few people with the right to post the news in the news section, then alot of information is going to go unheard.

There is no way that Jimmy, Zek, Wazzle, malware and Jackz5o is going to be able to keep up with all of the tech news out there.

I always liked reading the news that hellas posted, but now I see that theonetruewill's post got locked, because there is "no news except in the news section".

I understand not letting people post in the news section because it appears on the front page, but whats wrong with it going into the General nonsense sections?

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
If you want to post news often, apply to be a news poster. Otherwise the occasional link to a news story is fine.

Hellas was a different situation.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
The reason for the crackdown is to get the message across, don't worry, I'm not usually this temperamental :p.

JC316

Processor AMD FX6300
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
If you want to post news often, apply to be a news poster. Otherwise the occasional link to a news story is fine.

Hellas was a different situation.

Yeah, thats nearly all he posted, I don't know why they didn't make him a news poster anyway. I don't like to post news, but I do like to read it in the general nonsense, or the area that it's news to.

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
I with JC on the matter of theonetruewill's post. It wasn't news per se, but more of information. It's like if someone went and linked a website of a c2d review when it came out. What he posted was information....Hellas, that was almost spamming, but not quite that bad.

So fI'd ask a mod to please unlock the thread about Barcelona benchmarks seeing as it's not news per se. Once again...it's information about benchmarks. Also it's just another benchmark, just like when you or I run 3d mark....just about a brand spanking new chip. Also, I'd like to see mods loosen up a little about these "not news" threads....now if someone starts spamming like Hellas, that's a different story.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Alright, I'll loosen up...sorry for the troubles.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64

FatForester

Processor Intel e2180 2.0ghz @ 2.8ghz w/ stock volts
Motherboard ASUS P5K-e Wifi-AP
Cooling Zalman 9500 w/ AS5
Memory G.Skill Black PI's DDR2 @ 896MHz 4-4-4-12 1.9v
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800GT w/ Zalman VF-900
Storage 2x Crucial C300 64GB, Samsung F3 2TB & 1TB, F1 1TB & 750GB
Display(s) ASUS VW246H 24" 16:9
Case Ultra / Chieftec Black Tower
Audio Device(s) X-fi XtremeMusic -> Z-5300e's
Power Supply PCP&C 610 Silencer
Software Windows 7 x64
I doubt this belongs in this thread, but here's some feedback if you want it.
Ok, I guess to get semi on topic towards this thread, I like TPU's news section because it gives the good tidbits of whats goin' on. I've been going to engadget alot lately, and I like the humor they add in their news posts, but they add ALOT of news per day, while you guys keep it down to a realistic level. Only small gripe I've got with the news here is how many times do we need to hear about new Kingston memory modules? It seems like randomly there will be 2-3 news stories on new RAM, and it's usually Kingston. Are they payin' TPU for ads or something?! :laugh:
While I'm at it, something about the forums here is that they are pretty good because everyone is generally civil, but the random threads about "i farted" or "i like pizza" or the countless "clubhouses" tend to be pretty annoying when seen in the "latest posts" section on the front page. To help the site grow, people usually come here for tech advice, not whether or not their re-heated pizza will be any good. It'd be kinda cool to have a revised "latest posts" section on the front page so that it separates general nonsense and relevant threads. I dunno if it'd be confusing or not for most people, but it might help people looking for help. Just a thought. :toast:

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
the random threads about "i farted" or "i like pizza" or the countless "clubhouses" tend to be pretty annoying when seen in the "latest posts" section on the front page. To help the site grow, people usually come here for tech advice, not whether or not their re-heated pizza will be any good.

I agree completely, unfortunately we are the minority in that opinion. It's good to know I'm no the only one that gets sick of those threads though.

Last edited:

Namslas90

...the random threads about "i farted" or "i like pizza" or the countless "clubhouses" tend to be pretty annoying when seen in the "latest posts" section on the front page. To help the site grow, people usually come here for tech advice, not whether or not their re-heated pizza will be any good.

I agree completely, unfortunately we are the minority in that opinion.

Maybe "General Nonsense" threads should/could be removed from the front page. They realy don't reflect the knowledge or ability of the support on this site anyways.

:toast:

JC316

Processor AMD FX6300
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
I agree completely, unfortunately we are the minority in that opinion. It's good to know I'm no the only one that gets sick of those threads though.

I am actually in that group too. Why so damned many clubhouses and random threads? Come on Sploosh should have us covered for randomness. There is IRC for chatting in a clubhouse.

ex_reven

Why not create two "recent posts" panels?
One for actual news and hardware/software threads and another for general nonsense and other less frequented sections of the forums.

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Things start getting pretty crowded on the page with that many panels.

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
I doubt this belongs in this thread, but here's some feedback if you want it.
Ok, I guess to get semi on topic towards this thread, I like TPU's news section because it gives the good tidbits of whats goin' on. I've been going to engadget alot lately, and I like the humor they add in their news posts, but they add ALOT of news per day, while you guys keep it down to a realistic level. Only small gripe I've got with the news here is how many times do we need to hear about new Kingston memory modules? It seems like randomly there will be 2-3 news stories on new RAM, and it's usually Kingston. Are they payin' TPU for ads or something?! :laugh:
While I'm at it, something about the forums here is that they are pretty good because everyone is generally civil, but the random threads about "i farted" or "i like pizza" or the countless "clubhouses" tend to be pretty annoying when seen in the "latest posts" section on the front page. To help the site grow, people usually come here for tech advice, not whether or not their re-heated pizza will be any good. It'd be kinda cool to have a revised "latest posts" section on the front page so that it separates general nonsense and relevant threads. I dunno if it'd be confusing or not for most people, but it might help people looking for help. Just a thought. :toast:

Hi FatForester
I want to reply to your thoughts.
There're some major differences between us and your particular example Engadged. We're strictly hardware and gaming related, which means computer related...we're not allowed to post stories about yet another Razor bicycle, home theater set, gadget or a person who likes tattoos of Zune. On the other hand we also specialize in hardware reviews, we work with sponsors and big manufacturers who provide all the hardware for us. The least we can do is introduce their new products to the audience, you readers. That's why you see so many new RAM kits, and hardware components released, again we're hardware community after all. If you think seriously for a minute you'll see that I'm right.
Kingston does not pay us for any of their news releases, although I wish they could. :) It's a coincidence thay you constantly bring Kingston news to your attention.
Finally, I don't like the whole nonsense forum thread/posts too...that's why this section is forbiden for me. I find it very childish, but that's my personal opinion. I'm not interested....I don't go there, I don't complain, it's as simple as that.

FatForester

Processor Intel e2180 2.0ghz @ 2.8ghz w/ stock volts
Motherboard ASUS P5K-e Wifi-AP
Cooling Zalman 9500 w/ AS5
Memory G.Skill Black PI's DDR2 @ 896MHz 4-4-4-12 1.9v
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800GT w/ Zalman VF-900
Storage 2x Crucial C300 64GB, Samsung F3 2TB & 1TB, F1 1TB & 750GB
Display(s) ASUS VW246H 24" 16:9
Case Ultra / Chieftec Black Tower
Audio Device(s) X-fi XtremeMusic -> Z-5300e's
Power Supply PCP&C 610 Silencer
Software Windows 7 x64
Hi FatForester
I want to reply to your thoughts.
There're some major differences between us and your particular example Engadged. We're strictly hardware and gaming related, which means computer related...we're not allowed to post stories about yet another Razor bicycle, home theater set, gadget or a person who likes tattoos of Zune. On the other hand we also specialize in hardware reviews, we work with sponsors and big manufacturers who provide all the hardware for us. The least we can do is introduce their new products to the audience, you readers. That's why you see so many new RAM kits, and hardware components released, again we're hardware community after all. If you think seriously for a minute you'll see that I'm right.
Kingston does not pay us for any of their news releases, although I wish they could. :) It's a coincidence thay you constantly bring Kingston news to your attention.
Finally, I don't like the whole nonsense forum thread/posts too...that's why this section is forbiden for me. I find it very childish, but that's my personal opinion. I'm not interested....I don't go there, I don't complain, it's as simple as that.

Yea, I do agree with you. Engadget does have some pretty stupid "news" that I just end up skimming over. You guys find the juicy tid-bits to save people time from having to search themselves. I guess the only thing I was saying is it's kinda funny to see some good news then random stuff about memory modules. Seems out of place, but you do what you gotta do to keep TPU running!