• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft to Release Xbox Games on LIVE

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Microsoft already lets users to download retro games via Xbox LIVE Arcade, but the company is now planning to expand on its game downloads by offering users the ability to download full games from the original Xbox. With the release if the Xbox 360's next software update, which is planned for 2nd December, Microsoft will allow gamers to download from an initial selection of half a dozen Xbox games, with the first wave of titles being Burnout 3, Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, Fable, Indigo Prophecy and, of course, Halo: Combat Evolved. The pricing is expected to be 1200 Microsoft Points per game, which works out at about $15, and although no details about content protection were released, Microsoft is likely to prevent users sharing games between more than one account. Microsoft intends to gradually make more games available for download, although any Xbox 360 owners who are interested in this and only have a 20GB hard drive may want to invest in bigger storage.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
nice idea but :slap:

the hdd is to small, and who is going to pay for a game you already own? oh wait, i know who, everyone because m$ didn't do a hardware emulator so therefore they'll stop support on the emulator and force everyone to buy the game on xbl :eek:

M$ I :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: you that many times

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Well the hard drive is far too small for something like this. Knowing that, MS is going to continue to deliver their games on old format CDs which don't hold that much space.

If MS starts shipping their consoles with HD players and converts their games to HD discs, the discs still won't have as much storage capacity as Blu Ray. Everything is really a loose loose as far as large games go on the Xbox.

Processor athlon64 x3800 oc'ed to 2.5 ghz
Motherboard ecs kn1-lite
Cooling ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro
Memory 2 gig gigaram ddr 400
Video Card(s) geforce8600gt
Storage raptor 74k and 160 gig harddrive
Display(s) 19 inch lcd monitor with resolution of 1440x900
Case Antec case
Audio Device(s) sound blaster xi-fi
Power Supply 650 watts antec power supply
Software windows xp pro.
Well the hard drive is far too small for something like this. Knowing that, MS is going to continue to deliver their games on old format CDs which don't hold that much space.

If MS starts shipping their consoles with HD players and converts their games to HD discs, the discs still won't have as much storage capacity as Blu Ray. Everything is really a loose loose as far as large games go on the Xbox.

the 36- uses dvd-9 disks not cd-roms. as for storage i think the 360 can use external drives too.

System Name Xbox 360 Super Elite
Processor 3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
Memory 512MB 700MHz GDDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) ATI Xenos @ 500 MHz
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 26" Samsung LCD HDTV
Case Super Elite (COD:MW2 Edition)
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE

god.... you complan like a girl.

once you have purchased you can delete and download the game at your leisure, just like itunes and stuff.

p.s. if space is an issue just get an external usb HDD that is fat32 formatted and copy it there for safe keep or just get an elite and final option, get the 120GB drive.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
M$ messed up when the made the Hdd optional on the console itself, id expect the next version to feature storage ans standard.

AWESOME! Just hope i don't get three red lights right after i start the download :roll:

I crack me up. I'm giving the xbox one more shot. If it breaks down on me one more time i'm returning it for repair and selling it once i get it back. I'll bring my business to SONY. I remember my first Playstation being built really well. Never had a single problem with it for years until some jerk poured Iced Tea on it...a week later it started working again. I sold it to my step-brother for like 50 bucks with a ton of games and he's still playing it.

ccox0909

Games on LIVE

This is a good thing for the microsoft corperation so that they don't have to ship games or really make copies of them just make one and put it on LIVE to let people download it for a small amount of money. This is a bad hting because are'nt the game stores going to be hurt by not making profits off XBOX and XBOX 360 games which could put them out of buisness and that would stink because i go there all the time to buy used and new games for my PS2...But that stinks for me and the game stores.

Well... Microsoft doesn't even make xbox games anymore. Those discs will always be in circulation, and are cheaper to buy in a store than on live. By the time you buy the game its 12 dollars on live, but in the store you can probably get it for 5 or 6. I highly doubt xbox will put full xbox 360 games on live. Even then most people rather have a hard copy. Used PS2 and XBox games will be in circulation for a while. Personally I can't go back to playing old games after playing the new stuff. They're still fun, but not nearly as in depth or challenging for me. The AI isn't up to par anymore :)

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
god.... you complan like a girl.

once you have purchased you can delete and download the game at your leisure, just like itunes and stuff.

p.s. if space is an issue just get an external usb HDD that is fat32 formatted and copy it there for safe keep or just get an elite and final option, get the 120GB drive.

Lol, you are sadly mistaken my friend (in terms of your comparison to itunes and "Stuff"). If you delete an album you buy off iTunes, you can't re-download it, you lost it forever. 120GB is a very small hard drive, wether you like to admit it or not. It's only big in your eyes because it's the largest thing offered on the Xbox 360 ;). It's a very stupid solution to remove games and reinstall them at your leisure, only because were talking games over 2GB, meaning it would take some time to re-download a game that you might want to just "hop on". Saved games would also be an issue, and I would be quite pissed if I lost my saves.

Your hard drive is also used to store movies, demos, and other indie games. Mix that in with an entire games stored on your HD and that means you would have to swap out hard drives. At that point, it really becomes more of a hassle than anything else. This is why this solution only works computers, where you can have multiple hard drives connected at the same time.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Lol, you are sadly mistaken my friend (in terms of your comparison to itunes and "Stuff"). If you delete an album you buy off iTunes, you can't re-download it, you lost it forever. 120GB is a very small hard drive, wether you like to admit it or not. It's only big in your eyes because it's the largest thing offered on the Xbox 360 ;). It's a very stupid solution to remove games and reinstall them at your leisure, only because were talking games over 2GB, meaning it would take some time to re-download a game that you might want to just "hop on". Saved games would also be an issue, and I would be quite pissed if I lost my saves.

Your hard drive is also used to store movies, demos, and other indie games. Mix that in with an entire games stored on your HD and that means you would have to swap out hard drives. At that point, it really becomes more of a hassle than anything else. This is why this solution only works computers, where you can have multiple hard drives connected at the same time.
You can use external drives on 360. Tho I don't think this is a great idea, I think you're being a little too hard on MS over this. Some people do like to download games. Just because you don't, doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

Personally, I'll never buy another game off of Live. When my first 360 bricked, and I took it back, I found out that I couldn't redownload my Live games onto my new console. They're tied to the console they were purchased from.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
You can use external drives on 360. Tho I don't think this is a great idea, I think you're being a little too hard on MS over this. Some people do like to download games. Just because you don't, doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

Personally, I'll never buy another game off of Live. When my first 360 bricked, and I took it back, I found out that I couldn't redownload my Live games onto my new console. They're tied to the console they were purchased from.

Hehe, I wish I was at home show I could show you how many games I've downloaded off Steam and EA Link ;)

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro

I would sue for millions my friend.:toast:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Meh, not worth all that. lol. But I was pretty pissed off about it.

You have to sue big companies for big bucks to make them change their ways;)

I think everyones being too hard on the xbox 360, with the new ones out that dont overheat and dont have noisy dvd drives whats the problem they also have hdmi on premiums now, i think that the 120gb drive is a okay size i mean my other pc has a 150gb drive so its not that far off, and i think its a good idea to have a 20gb and a 120gb drive because 20gb is fine for those who only do occasional downloading like new demos play them hate the demo or love it and buy the game then delete the demo.

Anyway i think downloadable xbox games are a good idea way better than the downloadable ps1 games on ps3. I think that they are meant to be like a sort of better than xbox live arcade game, i mean look how many people owned a ps2 compared to a xbox i mean there bound to be millions of gamers who didnt have a xbox and have a 360 so they can now try these games.

BTW i didnt have a xbox so its good so i can try some real classics like that oddworld FPS game.
No i didnt have a ps2 the ps2 was okay but never had any real games that would make me buy one over playing them for free at a friends or cousins.

Yes i know it would be good if you could use any SATA hard drive you but maybe you will be able to back up to pc?
Yes i hate the core or arcade as it is now its stupid and a waste of money but its what the same price as a wii.

Anyway whats up with the dvd space its what 8gb for a dual layer and max 16gb on a dvd so what you dont see pc games being bloody 30gb or whatever requiring a blu ray disk but at the same time pc games are usually the best.

Tell me a ps3 game thats used up at least 20gb on the disk go on.
I think most people dont need hd dvd and the fact that microsoft made it optional is a good choice think about it microsoft make profits on the 360 due to the lower manufacturing costs SONY LOSE MONEY ON EACH CONSOLE!

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
mosts games on an xbox disc were around what, 800 megs? A few of them had a little over a gig. Given the 20 GB drive ( and whatever elite has, 60, 80 120?) thats not alot of games. They must be counting on you beating them and deleting them