• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blu-ray Claims 72.6% Market Share in USA

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
What was once a stalemate on the HD format front now seems like a landslide victory for the Blu-ray team. The latest Nielson figures shows that Black Friday really put Blu-ray in the chips. As of this week, Blu-ray now has a 72.6% market share over rival format HD-DVD. The most likely reason for this sudden push in sales was the release of "Live Free or Die Hard". Despite cheap HD-DVD players, Blu-ray has managed to maintain a sales advantage for quite some time, and currently is holding off HD-DVD with a 2-1 average sales advantage. Last week's sales advantage was roughly 3-1 in favor of Blu-ray.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

spacejunky

Processor Core i7 920 O.C. to 3.2 GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
Cooling air
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 295
Storage Velociraptor + 300GB Mirror
Display(s) Gateway 30" 1600P
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Antec 650 trio
Software Vista 64bit
more propaganda

I don't believe this for a minute.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
The PS3 is probably helping a lot. It's the superior format; so besides price, why would you want HD-DVD to be the only HD format? It doesn't store much more than DVD.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
For some perspective, the DVD standard was finalized in 1995. Think about the massive improvements in storage capacity in every other format since 95. 1 terabyte magnetic disks, 16gb flash drives, 4gb ram sticks. Going from 4.7gb to 15gb with HD-DVD really isn't worth it. Blu-Ray isn't a lot better at 25 gb per layer, but its still obviously got higher density.

That being said, I won't be buying an HD player of any sort for the foreseeable future. HDTV's are too damn expensive.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Blu-ray support:
Warner Bros.
Disney (Buena Vista)
Fox
Lionsgate
MGM
Sony Pictures

HD-DVD support:
Warner Bros.
Paramount
Universal Studios

Just by looking at those supporting movie studios, it becomes easy to see why Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD. There is no reason to pick sides based on Sony or Toshiba. I don't understand why you would be biased against Blu-ray. Moreover, since Blu-ray is the superior product, I don't see any reason at all to be biased against Blu-ray.

Anyone who doesn't like Blu-ray and doesn't want it on the market are just people hurting other consumers by not supporting the better player. This in effect takes the better product off the market...

:toast:

tdamocles

HD DVD
DreamWorks
Paramount
Universal
Warner Bros.
Weinstein Company

Blue-Ray
20th Century Fox
Disney/Buena Vista
Lionsgate
MGM/UA
Sony Pictures
Warner Bros.

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
HD DVD
DreamWorks
Paramount
Universal
Warner Bros.
Weinstein Company

Blue-Ray
20th Century Fox
Disney/Buena Vista
Lionsgate
MGM/UA
Sony Pictures
Warner Bros.

Paramount owns Dreamworks, which are both owned by Viacom if you want to get technical, so that's a given. The Weinstein Company is a small studio that probably doesn't account for many HD-DVD sales, besides the great movies like Derailed (don't make me laugh) and the matador. So to include the Weinstein Company as a major studio isn't that accurate in my opinion.

tdamocles

Paramount owns Dreamworks, which are both owned by Viacom if you want to get technical, so that's a given. The Weinstein Company is a small studio that probably doesn't account for many HD-DVD sales, besides the great movies like Derailed (don't make me laugh) and the matador. So to include the Weinstein Company as a major studio isn't that accurate in my opinion.

If you say so.....;)

spacejunky

Cooling air
Case Antec 900
Software Vista 64bit
Just by looking at those supporting movie studios, it becomes easy to see why Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD. There is no reason to pick sides based on Sony or Toshiba. I don't understand why you would be biased against Blu-ray. Moreover, since Blu-ray is the superior product, I don't see any reason at all to be biased against Blu-ray.

Anyone who doesn't like Blu-ray and doesn't want it on the market are just people hurting other consumers by not supporting the better player. This in effect takes the better product off the market...

There is no difference in video quality between BR and HD...Transformers was done in MPEG4 H.264 just like some of the BR discs. In fact, most BR are on single layer = 25GB and use various CODECs such as VC1 and even MPEG2 just like HD. If you base superior tech by storage then you are hurting the consumers by cramming additional previews and worthless interactive (boring) games on the extra space. Oh wait...I forgot about the director's comentary.:shadedshu Most H.264 movies by themselves are only about 30 to 35 GB. Next gen HD will be triple layer = 45 GB anyway.

Have you experienced Sony's bs with encryption? Having to do firmware updates so you can watch Silver Surfer...if you're lucky? Yeah, that's a superior technology I want everyone to benefit from...SWEET!

All I can say is, Thank God for HD-DVD! Can you imagine how much we would have to pay for hi-def content if Sony was the only one in the market?

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
There is no difference in video quality between BR and HD...Transformers was done in MPEG4 H.264 just like some of the BR discs. In fact, most BR are on single layer = 25GB and use various CODECs such as VC1 and even MPEG2 just like HD. If you base superior tech by storage then you are hurting the consumers by cramming additional previews and worthless interactive (boring) games on the extra space. Oh wait...I forgot about the director's comentary.:shadedshu Most H.264 movies by themselves are only about 30 to 35 GB. Next gen HD will be triple layer = 45 GB anyway.

Have you experienced Sony's bs with encryption? Having to do firmware updates so you can watch Silver Surfer...if you're lucky? Yeah, that's a superior technology I want everyone to benefit from...SWEET!

All I can say is, Thank God for HD-DVD! Can you imagine how much we would have to pay for hi-def content if Sony was the only one in the market?

1. You saying extra storage is hurting the consumer because you get more storage space for junk is like this conversation between two friends, "I have a 250gb hard drive."...and then his friend says, "I have a 150gb hard drive; you're stupid for having all that useless space for junk." :laugh::laugh: I mean really, lol...:roll:

2. I suggest you take a look at this website before you start talking about aspect ratios and encryptions:
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/
You're exaggerating the truth more than a little bit.

Last edited:

spacejunky

Cooling air
Case Antec 900
Software Vista 64bit
1. You saying extra storage is hurting the consumer because you get more storage space for junk is like this conversation between two friends, "I have a 250gb hard drive."...and then his friend says, "I have a 150gb hard drive; you're stupid for having all that useless space for junk." :laugh::laugh: I mean really, lol...:roll:

2. I suggest you take a look at this website before you start talking about aspect ratios and encryptions:
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/
You're exaggerating the truth more than a little bit.

1. The difference in your inaccurate analogy is that I can choose to load up my 250 GB hard drive with whatever I consider to be myself useful. Not what Sony considers to be useful.

2. Good website even though it was last updated on 10.20.2005 even before PS3 came out. It does verify as I said that both formats are capable of the same CODECs. Hence, same image quality.

Man you are losing the argument.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
1. The difference in your inaccurate analogy is that I can choose to load up my 250 GB hard drive with whatever I consider to be myself useful. Not what Sony considers to be useful.

2. Good website even though it was last updated on 10.20.2005 even before PS3 came out. It does verify as I said that both formats are capable of the same CODECs. Hence, same image quality.

Man you are losing the argument.

I'm not arguing with you, if I wanted to argue I would take myself to a rant forum:
http://daoc.catacombs.com/forum.cfm?forum=DAOCRantForum:slap::slap:

You're saying that Toshiba is putting more useful things on their discs than Sony? The analogy still holds true whether you like it or not, the two friends could be considered as Sony and Toshiba (even though they aren't the best of friends in a business sense).

What I'm saying is that you over exaggerated the facts about the encryption. Both encryption formats are quite similar and both have the same headaches. The fact is though, the Blu-ray still remains the best as far as specs are concerned. You could sit here and say all day that the extra storage space is useless, that's you're opinion, but that opinion doesn't mean HD dvd is a better player.

UnXpectedError

Processor E4300 @ 3ghz
Motherboard P5N-E SLI
Cooling Tuniq Tower
Memory 4 gb super talent @ 720mhz 3/3/3/1T
Video Card(s) PNY 8800GT
Display(s) Dell 2007wfp
the only reason why blu-ray is even selling anything is because of the PS3, its plain and simple to see that if it wasn't for that HD-DVD would be king no doubt..

take out the sales of PS3's out of the equation and this format war becomes a very different story

spacejunky

Cooling air
Case Antec 900
Software Vista 64bit
I'm not arguing with you, if I wanted to argue I would take myself to a rant forum:

You're saying that Toshiba is putting more useful things on their discs than Sony? The analogy still holds true whether you like it or not, the two friends could be considered as Sony and Toshiba (even though they aren't the best of friends in a business sense).

What I'm saying is that you over exaggerated the facts about the encryption. Both encryption formats are quite similar and both have the same headaches. The fact is though, the Blu-ray still remains the best as far as specs are concerned. You could sit here and say all day that the extra storage space is useless, that's you're opinion, but that opinion doesn't mean HD dvd is a better player.

You're right but I never did say HD-DVD was a better player. You said Blu-Ray was superior and I disagreed. So rather than an argument, it is a disagreement or rather a debate? Call it what you will. All I have done is point out what a pain Sony can be.

As far as I know, no one has had to do a firmware update on their HD-DVD players yet and Sony is just getting started. I'm guessing that pretty soon BR players will have to be connected to the net just to watch a movie but of course they will tell you how this will enable fantastic new interactive features while you watch a movie on their superior format.

What I said was,
"Thank God for HD-DVD!"
I should also mention AMD, Apple(Macs), LINUX, ATI, PHP, MySQL, and the entire Open Source community. For without them, we would be at the mercy of the 800 pound gorillas.

spacejunky

Cooling air
Case Antec 900
Software Vista 64bit
The PS3 is probably helping a lot. It's the superior format; so besides price, why would you want HD-DVD to be the only HD format? It doesn't store much more than DVD.

Yeah you're right. 3X is not much more than a DVD.:shadedshu Just remember this is still an optical disc and the fact that they can relatively cheaply manufacture readers and writers at these spacings is impressive.

However, I see your point. I would be much more impressed if they started selling/renting HD movies on flash. Now that would be awesome!

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
blu-ray continues to gain momentum. i own a ps3 so i obviously would like to see blu-ray stick around and perhaps the studios that put their movies out on hd-dvd to also put them out for blu-ray. they will have no choice if more and more people turn to blu-ray in the coming months. studios will lose money if they support the losing format for too long. sony is playing their cards right. the ps3 is probably the coolest gadget ive ever bought. what would make it even cooler is if i never have to buy an hd-dvd player :laugh:

tdamocles

the only reason why blu-ray is even selling anything is because of the PS3, its plain and simple to see that if it wasn't for that HD-DVD would be king no doubt..

take out the sales of PS3's out of the equation and this format war becomes a very different story

Good point...1.9 million PS3s out there....:eek:

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I can vouch for these numbers. People that have bought a PS3 are buying at least a couple blu-ray movies for the beauty factor. Sony's plan is coming to fruition to beat hd-dvd.

(I don't own any console, and I"m not a fanboy, unless you count AMD and Nvidia :D)

tdamocles

People that have bought a PS3 are buying at least a couple blu-ray movies for the beauty factor.

Or maybe they are buying movies because of the lack of games? Would be a shame to buy a $300-$400 console and not use it?

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

Neither is better for movies. No current movies require the full storage of either format. Transformers takes up 26GB, for a point of reference. That's a whole lot of wasted space on a Blu Ray. Blu-Ray is technically better for storage @ 50GB vs 30GB for HD DVD, but not for long, 51GB triple layer HD DVDs are due out, and that will put an end to the storage benefits of Blu Ray.

Personally, I have no preference. I own both, and for movies they are 100% equal.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Neither is better for movies. No current movies require the full storage of either format. Transformers takes up 26GB, for a point of reference. That's a whole lot of wasted space on a Blu Ray. Blu-Ray is technically better for storage @ 50GB vs 30GB for HD DVD, but not for long, 51GB triple layer HD DVDs are due out, and that will put an end to the storage benefits of Blu Ray.

Personally, I have no preference. I own both, and for movies they are 100% equal.

I have yet to see the current players ability to read these triple layer discs. And what do you think BD will do? Add another layer too, then HD is fucked all over again.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Or maybe they are buying movies because of the lack of games? Would be a shame to buy a $300-$400 console and not use it?

:eek:, touche

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I have yet to see the current players ability to read these triple layer discs. And what do you think BD will do? Add another layer too, then HD is fucked all over again.
Either way, it's all redundant as far as movies are concerned. The storage capacities only matter for data use, which is beyond the scope of this thread.