• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Michael Bay Accuses Microsoft of Conspiracy

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Mr. Bay states that his movie looks "superior" on Blu-Ray.
Since both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD can use the same codecs (MPEG-2, Microsoft Video Codec 1 (aka VC1, WMV HD, etc.), H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC) why would this be the case?

Due to the tighter track pitch (.65 for HD, .85 for Blu-Ray) Blu-Ray is capable of storing more data than HD, but if that data is the stored in the same video format (codec) why would it look any different?

Unless the studio making the disks is using an inferior codec, I don't see how there would be any difference.

Just because they have the same codecs doesn't mean they are going to have EXACTLY the same quality. I remember when I worked at Best Buy we plugged our best Blu-ray player and best HD-DVD player up on our best HDTV in the store, and Blu-ray looked better playing Planet Earth. Ever since that time, I've been a Blu-ray enthusiast. I'm sure someone will come up with a post that counters this, but my eyes weren't deceiving me.

:toast:

I'm not trying to support Michael Bay here or anything, I'm just telling you how I feel about both players.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Well if the exact same codecs are used, wouldn't the digital information be exactly the same?
I know that early on HD-DVD didn't do H.246 / M-PEG 4 AVC, and that codec is supposed to be better. But if the movie is done on either disk type in the same format, the ones & Zeroes should be identical.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Well if the exact same codecs are used, wouldn't the digital information be exactly the same?
I know that early on HD-DVD didn't do H.246 / M-PEG 4 AVC, and that codec is supposed to be better. But if the movie is done on either disk type in the same format, the ones & Zeroes should be identical.

Which leads us to the question, what is really going on? I think one thing that might have to do with is the types of lasers being used in each. The two different players have different lasers that are different spectrums.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
This guy is a friggan loser. How is Blu-Ray superior? Both play HD video..... One holds about 2 seconds more of hd video, and "grows mold" lol.... What a jerk. What a baby. What a prick. Is this guy missing half of his brain. So he made a movie of robot toasters, great, please stop crying now you pathetic little man, yawn.

I cant believe this jerk. Wow. He must REALLY HONESTLY believe that blurays will save him from eternal damnation or something. Either that or he's just a JERK getting paid off by some company to cry all day. Wow. Why would this guy even give a rats ass with his millions of dollars, cant he just buy one of each and stop being such a JERRRRRRKKKKKKKKK.

Honestly, wow. I cant stop editing, this is just amazing.... the things wieners cry about. What a complete newb. And what a jerk. I wish I could punch this guy in the face, or the nuts, or both at once. Wow. Unbelievable. Cry more dude. Cry as much as I do about you being a jerk.

I'm not exactly sure who owns the HD-DVD format, but I know Sony owns bluray. And the simple fact that I've known ever since blurays were released (being as it was plastered all over the internet) leads me to believe that every time I buy a bluray movie means I'm probably giving sony about 5 bucks. And god knows how much the people that put the movies on the blurays pay sony.

Last edited:

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Processor Amd phenom 2 955 @ 3800
Motherboard msi 790fx-gd70
Cooling coolermaster
Memory 4096 @1600 corsair
Video Card(s) sapphire 5770 @950-1350
Storage 1 seagate 80gb sata2 1 160gb seagate sata
Display(s) 20inch wide lg
Power Supply chieftech 750w
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
i really can care less the transformers movie was terrible

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
This guy is a friggan loser. How is Blu-Ray superior? Both play HD video..... One holds about 2 seconds more of hd video, and "grows mold" lol.... What a jerk. What a baby. What a prick. Is this guy missing half of his brain. So he made a movie of robot toasters, great, please stop crying now you pathetic little man, yawn.

I cant believe this jerk. Wow. He must REALLY HONESTLY believe that blurays will save him from eternal damnation or something. Either that or he's just a JERK getting paid off by some company to cry all day. Wow. Why would this guy even give a rats ass with his millions of dollars, cant he just buy one of each and stop being such a JERRRRRRKKKKKKKKK.

Honestly, wow. I cant stop editing, this is just amazing.... the things wieners cry about. What a complete newb. And what a jerk. I wish I could punch this guy in the face.

This isn't biased at all. :laugh::slap:

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5003 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.B
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
Alot of haters posting that they didn't like transformers. Do you care to state the reasons why?

Without turning this into flame bait!

System Name MUFFIN_MACHINE
Processor i7 920
Motherboard E760 Classified
Cooling cooler master gemini II
Memory 6gb ddr3 crucial ballistix
Video Card(s) TFIII 6950
Storage 500gb wd, samsung spinpoint t series 500gb, 2 tb samsung somthing or other
Display(s) syncmaster 940bw 19"
Case Corsair Carbide Series 500R
Audio Device(s) X-fi extrememusic
Power Supply Corsair HX 850W
Software windows 7 64bit
Benchmark Scores i can drink a pint in 5 seconds flat.
i loved the transformers movie especially where the really hot chick was bending over and working on the car... god that was a great scene:toast::roll::toast::rockout::toast:

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Software Win 10 Pro
Lol, of course it's biased.... It's some guy, that doesn't really know a whole lot about bluray OR HD-DVD's (that's me), calling a guy a jerk, for acting like a jerk (am i acting like a jerk, probably).... Don't think I edited just because of your comment though, the times make it look that way. Which came first anyways, bluray, or HD-DVD, who knows? I do have some kind of point here, but I already forgot it. I'll start a new rant:

People wonder why we don't buy all this new technology. Maybe its because we just bought some yesterday, and don't want MORE shoved in our face, get what I'm sayin? Regular DVD's havent been out for THATT long. VHS was around for a great while, and it was a good step up from betas... I know that we have HD tv's now, and we kinda need an HD format for that, but still, now we gotta buy an HDTV, an HD-DVD player (or bluray, mr. bay), Digital audio would help too. That gets expensive, it's no wonder either of the two formats are going tits up, nobody has enough money to buy either--especially with cigarette taxes these days, and we also have to buy iPods, pay for internet, AND cable, and heat, water, electric, insurance, more insurance, phone bill, cell phone bill, car payment, rent, and on top of that, you gotsta get some more insurance for all that junk you just bought. I suppose if you can budget your money its not that big a deal, but have you actually seen kids these days, they are even dumber than my generation. How are we supposed to pay for all this stuff?:laugh::roll:

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
If you say so lol...

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Software Win 10 Pro
If I say so, or he say so? Hey, I'm not tryin to start another pissin match here. You guys probably hate me for that anyways. I'm just trying to call Michael Bay a jerk for trying to be the hero and "finally expose MS for the monster they are," even though this is old news.

And as far as BluRay being superior, come on TPU lets see some benchmarks (or screenshots). Maybe the "best" bluray player was a little better quality than the "best" HD-DVD player. Maybe. I wasn't there so I don't know. But I always figured the quality had to be the same, just HD-DVDs can hold less of the same quality. It's the DVD or BluRay player's job to decode it and put it on the screen.

Last edited:
Just because they have the same codecs doesn't mean they are going to have EXACTLY the same quality. I remember when I worked at Best Buy we plugged our best Blu-ray player and best HD-DVD player up on our best HDTV in the store, and Blu-ray looked better playing Planet Earth. Ever since that time, I've been a Blu-ray enthusiast. I'm sure someone will come up with a post that counters this, but my eyes weren't deceiving me.

I'm not trying to support Michael Bay here or anything, I'm just telling you how I feel about both players.

Did you use them on two different TV sets from different manufacturers, if they were the exact same sets, could one set have been calibrated differently than the other next to it? Could also be possible that even though they might be the same sets manufacturing differences could lead one to be a little under the other but within the manufacturers boundaries. Were the both plugged in via HDMI? There are a lot of factors that could make one look better or worse than the other.

I don't know if Best Buy has the best environment for telling which is better, especially if the were floor models of the TV sets.

spacejunky

Processor Core i7 920 O.C. to 3.2 GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
Cooling air
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 295
Storage Velociraptor + 300GB Mirror
Display(s) Gateway 30" 1600P
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Antec 650 trio
Software Vista 64bit
Same CODEC will mean same image quality if they have the same bitrate (compression) which from what I have seen they do. So far I have not found a movie that is made for both formats that doesn not have the same CODEC and the same bitrate. I watch both and I see no difference between them when they are the same CODEC. HD-DVD did make the mistake of using the VC1 (wmv) way too often in the beginning and they looked pretty bad when compared to the H.264 Blu-Rays. Transformers was done in H.264 and it looks great.

The lasers have nothing to do with the content.

As far as the Best Buy employee situation. I'm guessing it was Best Buy's best which wasn't so great at the time vs a Blu-Ray. I am going to get my hands on Planet Earth HD-DVD after Christmas so then I'll know if it is H.264 or not.

spacejunky

Processor Core i7 920 O.C. to 3.2 GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
Cooling air
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 295
Storage Velociraptor + 300GB Mirror
Display(s) Gateway 30" 1600P
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Antec 650 trio
Software Vista 64bit
BTW Michael Bay didn't do such a great job anyway. I have been hoping he doesn't do the 2nd one since I saw the first one. Every fight scene was like a ball of junk rolling around.

He speaks of conspiracy theories and hypocrisies when he is the hypocrite. Just look at his previous retractions. Plus, he is promoting the BR is better than HD garbage when he knows or at least should know there is no difference. It's like the above post said about the royalty revenues. It's all greed driven!

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Michael Bay... , c'mon man, get on the green team! Everyone in Hollywood is doing it! Less HD-DVD's and Blue-Ray disks is good for the enviroment! Go digital my brother! :respect:

I love the idea of downloading games onto yoru hard drive from the company website. Same for movies. However, if this were to be the case, what with all the games and DVD's being the size that they are, I would want faster internet than what we have now at the current price rates. I say that 20Mbps down should be standard. Thats just my opinion.

I have tried downloading games off of steam and what not and it takes freaking forever. I hate it. Its quicker to go to the store, buy it, install it, then play it than what it takes to download it and do anything else you need to do.

If you think about it too, discs still need to be around. We need them for backup purposes. Sure if we went digital everything there would be less CD/DVD discs around, but either way, we still need them.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Software Win 10 Pro
Heres a quote on the same story, at a different website:

"While we can't verify just how many $100 million checks have been cashed (we know of just the one we received to ensure the Sony bias keeps flowing), we do know what Bill Gates told us nearly a year ago: "HD DVD is great ... It's neat. But over time, eventually online is going to be more important." That don't sound like no secret to us. Sony was early to the HD movie market and Microsoft didn't want its competitor to run away with a new format before it could get the proper digital distribution network and hardware in place. HD DVD certainly can be viewed as a stalling tactic, and two formats with varying Hollywood support is definitely confusing to consumers, but let's not mistake reality for Michael Bay's vision of Armageddon."

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/05/michael-bay-talks-hd-dvd-and-microsofts-dirty-secret/

Hell, maybe the guys not so much of a jerk after all. Still wanna punch him in the face though.

Woah Mama!

Processor AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Toledo (2.0ghz for now) (Looking for Opty)
Motherboard DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700 NT + 6 120mm Zalman ZM-F3GL case fans through Zalman ZM-MFC1
Memory 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR400 + 2 GB for spare (Or Vista)!
Video Card(s) PNY 8800GTS 320MB
Storage 2x Western Digital 320GB 16MB Cache SATAII Raid 0
Display(s) 17" Philips 107S6E CRT (226BW early `08)
Case CoolerMaster Centurion 534 with upcoming modifications
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster Audigy
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 550W (Soon to be ToughPower 750W)
Software Windows XP SP2
Instead of complaining and making himself look like an ass why not just wait to see what does actually happen and then if need be, invest some of multi millions of dollars in Microsoft shares and profit both ways?

If I made as much money as he does and I got to see Megan Fox bending over in a mini skirt in person then I would not be complaining.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
The fact is Michael Bay isn't a jerk, he's pretty much telling us what IS going to happen. Digital media is about to take over in a big way. It's a different world now, and sometimes that's hard for people to accept. People want things done fast without having to put much effort into doing it. Everything is meant to be simplistic now. This is the beauty of digital media. It's at your finger tips, and you don't have to go out and buy movies discs anymore.

The thing that you guys don't like is Michael Bay saying that Blu-ray is superior... In my eyes, Blu-ray has the best hardware, but some people obviously don't care about the extra storage. However, Michael Bay is right about digital media. Eventually, we will do away with discs, just like we did with VHS.

The only reason you guys are getting mad is because he said Blu-ray is superior. WHO THE HELL CARES IF SOME HOLLYWOOD GUY SAID THIS? He's entitled to his opinion just as much as we are, and that doesn't make him a jerk.

Quit with the Michael Bay bashing.

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
Yeah,Let me download a Blu-Ray quality movie with my dsl connection :rolleyes::banghead:

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Yeah,Let me download a Blu-Ray quality movie with my dsl connection :rolleyes::banghead:

I have the same type of connection. However, in the near future I will guarantee you most everyone will have a very high speed connection (BIG corporations will make sure this happens).

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
I have the same type of connection. However, in the near future I will guarantee you most everyone will have a very high speed connection (BIG corporations will make sure this happens).

When and its not Comcast I hope:roll::roll:

Verizon is laying down the fiberwires as we speak but were still a long way away from it becoming available to everybody mainly because alot of monopolies (like Comcast) don't want Verizon to be laying down Fiberwires in Quote "their territory"

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670

That goes back to what I was saying about faster connections.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
When and its not Comcast I hope:roll::roll:

Verizon is laying down the fiberwires as we speak but were still a long way away from it becoming available to everybody mainly because alot of monopolies (like Comcast) don't want Verizon to be laying down Fiberwires in Quote "their territory"

Exactly.

That's the "big" problem in my area right now. AT&T is wanting to come in and lay out their network for the state of Tennessee. Comcast is taking legal action to act against this. Comcast is a bigger Monopoly than Microsoft was ever accused of being in my book.

F-35

As a former Best Buy employee, I will have to completely disagree and warn EVERYONE to NEVER ask for advice from a best buy employee. It's all based on oppinion. best buy emps receive no training. They learn more from customers then they do from co-workers and seasonal sales-pitch manuals.

If both discs were the same version (ex: discovery or BBC version), both in HD, and both players were top of the line, then I guarantee you Saw absolutely no difference.

Last edited:

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Exactly.

That's the "big" problem in my area right now. AT&T is wanting to come in and lay out their network for the state of Tennessee. Comcast is taking legal action to act against this. Comcast is a bigger Monopoly than Microsoft was ever accused of being in my book.

On that we can agree:toast:

If only these monopolies could be forced by the government to allow each company in quote "each others territory" we could actually start to see some major competition out there, then it will be all about custoer service and if they were to do that right now right this second we could finally see ourselves able to start downloading movies in HD in less than a half hour now that I could live with:toast::toast:

But for now its HD DVD all the way. Its great as Blu Ray its cheaper, and I can now pay only $130 for it and beleive it or not you don't need the 360 in order to use the 360 add on drive. you can even use it on your PC. And even better you can make legitimate copies of your HD DVD movies onto your computers harddrives, with no risk for copyright infringement.:toast::toast::toast: