• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Opera Files Lawsuit Against Microsoft

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Internet Explorer is to Windows what oil is to your car's motor. It'll run for a little while without it, but be prepared for the ensuing chaos.

Opera should grow up, IMO.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Internet Explorer is to Windows what oil is to your car's motor. It'll run for a little while without it, but be prepared for the ensuing chaos.

Opera should grow up, IMO.

lol nice analogy:toast::toast:

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Processor E8400 @4.4 GHz - FSB @550 MHZ
Motherboard Asus P5K Premium (Black Pearl)
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x1GB Geil BlckDrgn 800 @1158 5-5-5-18
Video Card(s) 8800GT 512MB @740/1782/2080
Storage Hitachi T7K250 250GB & 7200.10 Seagate 250GB
Display(s) Gateway FPD1975W 19" Widescreen
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Xi-FI Xtreme Audio
Power Supply CoolerMaster IGreen 500W
Software XP Home SP3
Benchmark Scores SuperPi: 10.563 Sciencemark: 2563.14
If I buy an opera system then I want it to have every basic thing that I NEED to have to use a computer acceptably. I don't see why Microsoft should not be able to bundle Internet Explorer, Media Player, Wireless Zero, Email, Movie Maker, and other basic programs into it's OS. If I didn't have these I would frankly;y be quite pissed. What I hate even more is that these companies only ever tackle Microsoft. I'm not their massive fan by any means, but I;m also not someone who thinks it's cool to bash Microsoft, just because everyone else seems to do so, and therefore it's the 'done thing.' NO, I like my bundled programs, and for the newbie they are easy to use. Why should people have to buy or download other programs just to make their computer perform the basic functions.

If Opera was infinitely better than IE then it would be more popular than it is now. The fact is that it isn't and although I've tried it, and liked it, I didn't choose it over FF. Why? > because I didn't like it's style and plugins compared to that of FF. Why did I choose FF over IE, because I hated the security vulnerabilities in IE6 and I loved FF tabs and plugins. Why not IE7 over FF, I got used to FF and I love its customization potential. In the end it's a choice, but that does not mean you should not be able to have the basic bare minimum on your OS already. If Opera want to gain a bigger market share, then they need to WOW people. They aren't exciting enough people, so they are not gaining a large proportion of the market share. Yes IE6/7 does, and it's largely because it's bundled, but why then do all the people on TPU!, most who have at least a little knowledge on browsers, still not use Opera as there own? Well, because they like their own one or they have changed already.

And why the hell do people not attack Apple for their bundled programs, because Apple is cool and far better for everyone, and thats ...why it holds a smaller market share..... Doesn't hold water really does it. If you attack M$, then attack all OS's.:mad:
Stop complaining and make a fantastic product, then I might use it.:shadedshu

Sorry for my little rant!

Last edited:

ex_reven

No.. schools use IE because they have a stock install from pre-built places...

No, they are built that way to ensure computer/network security. If they were to allow students to install different browsers (and other software for that matter) not only does it mean the IT Department needs to keep a whole new list of software updated and configured, but they also need to deal with the new vulnerabilities introduced by this new software. It just needlessly complicates things when all the student should really be worrying about is accessing the internet and visiting the correct content, rather than wasting their education by chatting or myspacing in schools and wasting tax payers money.

On top of that, the extra applications add a whole new level of bloat, bundled toolbars and all that other unneccesary crap. Im a firefox user, but I think that IE serves its purpose well, and with the correct precautions it functions properly without any issues. Firefox has its quirks at times, and the performance difference really isnt that great anyway.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
No, they are built that way to ensure computer/network security. If they were to allow students to install different browsers (and other software for that matter) not only does it mean the IT Department needs to keep a whole new list of software updated and configured, but they also need to deal with the new vulnerabilities introduced by this new software. It just needlessly complicates things when all the student should really be worrying about is accessing the internet and visiting the correct content, rather than wasting their education by chatting or myspacing in schools and wasting tax payers money.

On top of that, the extra applications add a whole new level of bloat, bundled toolbars and all that other unneccesary crap. Im a firefox user, but I think that IE serves its purpose well, and with the correct precautions it functions properly without any issues. Firefox has its quirks at times, and the performance difference really isnt that great anyway.

Exactly.

You cant update Firefox through WSUS, and manually deploying browser patches to hundreds or thousands of machines causes a lot of logistic headaches. (Not to mention bandwidth issues when 500 Firefox sessions automatically download a patch at the start of the day when students are getting online.)

User's ignore update prompts, and over time you will have 50 different revisions of the same browser across your network creating a giant security issue along with other problems that can develop by running more than one version of the same software.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Oh crap they filed it in Europe. The outcome is a tossup then.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
The funny thing is, every time I go to Europe, someone takes a whack at how people in America sue everyone for everything. Their freedom to sue anybody for anything is becoming more liberal then the US.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
yeah - but here in the US, it had actually gotten so bad at one point that they had to enact a "frivilous lawsuit" law - which pretty much throws out all the petty lawsuits before they ever get to go before a judge.

now all we need is a "common sense" law which would throw out lawsuits that should just be common sense (like a lady suing McDonald's because the coffee she ordered at the drive through spilt in her lap going down the road and she was burned - but she claimed she didn't realize the coffee was hot). Those two laws combined would get the US back on track.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Opera gets my middle finger for sure, winning that lawsuit is a light-year away.

A web-browser, a media player, an email client are bare minimum that an OS can provide the user with, when he boots the OS for the first time. You can't expect Windows to be like DOS. Gawd!

If people don't know Opera (and other IE alternatives) exist, then it's Opera and not Microsoft to blame. There's a little something known as advertising. Look at Mozilla and their Spread Firefox campaign. Mozilla didn't have to put too much money into it. It was/is a collaborative effort, it worked. And now people like me are using perhaps the most exotic browsers of them all, Mozilla Seamonkey.

That's what sets Mozilla apart from Opera. Mozilla is proactive, while Opera is like a cribby bitch after it dropped its icecream and blamed someone else for it.

As for MS, well they did what they had to. After IE6, they put in a decent effort in making IE7. Atleast they lived upto bundling something with their OS. Why doesn't Opera sue Apple, Red Hat, Sun, SuSE, etc for bundling browsers other than Opera? Go to see, Opera makes browsers for pretty-much every platform. They've been arrogant snitches.

A few years ago when the Firefox was teething and gaining popularity, when asked to comment on the rise of Firefox, they said "Mozilla? hah! we don't see how a two-bit unix browser maker can put us off".

Opera, this is from Mozilla, Microsoft and prettymuch every company that did its job and minded its own business:

:nutkick:

Last edited:
System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
I don't like Opera browser.

Davidelmo

Processor Intel i7 920 @4.20Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58 UD5
Cooling Titan Fenrir
Memory 6Gb Patriot 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI HD4870 1Gb
Storage 2x250Gb Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0) plus 2B storage
Display(s) Samsung 22 inch Widescreen
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Auzen Prelude 7.1
Power Supply PCP&P 750W Silencer
Software Win7 beta
Well, I never said I'd support the lawsuit. I said its a valid request...

No, they are forced to use IE. In case you didn't know, some users don't even know about firefox or opera. Those who do and stick with IE, good for them. They looked at the options and they picked what is best for them.

Erm.. that isn't the definition of being forced. Being forced would mean that Windows would be crippled so that installing another browser is impossible.

Customers DO HAVE a choice. It's not Microsofts fault if consumers are too dumb to realise they have a choice. Microsoft made the software and they should be able to integrate whatever the hell they like. They include I.E to also make it more convenient for people who aren't so computer savvy. Having some sort of option saying "what browser do you want to download - I.E/FF/opera/netscape etc etc" would just confuse people.

I don't like IE on my school's computer, nope. Can I do anything about it? Nope. Why? Most, if not all schools have a "no download" policy... We aren't allowed to download or install any software.

So it's Microsofts fault that your school has an I.E-only policy?

My university uses mozilla only. Whatever policy any private company comes up with is tough luck. You still have a choice not to use their internet service.