• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Activision Hit With Class Action Over Mono Sound

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hot on the heels of the bad blood surrounding the blocked Rock Band patch and an impending lawsuit from the Romantics comes more bad news for Activision. According to Wired's Game|Life, the company has just been hit with a class action lawsuit over the issue of the Wii version of Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock's mono soundtrack. Activision has already gone on record as being aware of the whole monaural problem of course, and promised to fix the problem by mailing out remastered game discs to all affected parties sometime in early 2008. "We are currently working with Nintendo" says the company "and are planning to issue an improved audio experience in future versions of the game," said the company. "We will be offering consumers replacement discs at no cost once they become available. We thank all of our customers for their support and patience." That's not good enough however for Samuel Livingston of San Diego and KamberEdelson LLC (his legal representation), who are planning on taking Activision to court over the issue. Livingston is seeking "actual damages, individual restitution, equitable relief, civil penalties, costs and expenses of litigation, including attorney's fees, and all further relief available" on behalf of those individuals who "would not have purchased the Guitar Hero III video game and/or paid as much for it had they known the truth about the product."

You can read a PDF of the court filing over here. The complaint accuses Activision of being consciously aware of the mono problem since October 2007 and make specific reference to the fact that Activision is leaving the problem untouched through the lucrative holiday season, despite the fact that the game advertises Dolby Pro Logic surround sound on the back of the Wii box. Oops.

While it's definitely suspect Activision allowed the Wii version go to stores with this information plainly incorrect, it remains to be seen whether the courts will actually allow someone to claim suffering and damages on account of something like lower-quality sound. False advertising, however, could end up being a lot more concrete and provable if legal push comes to shove.

While the company isn't commenting officially on the suit, the filing claims the court is capable of levying damages "of over $5,000,000" if it feels inclined to do so. Depending on how hot blooded you happen to be on the issue you might be able to score yourself a few bucks (or a new game) at Activision's expense if this thing ends up holding any water. 'Tis the season to be shaking down the big guys for petty cash, it seems.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Class action lawsuits (thanks liberals!) are such garbage . One asshole and his asshole lawyer representing a large group of people get most of the money, then the rest of the group get a few dollars for themselves.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
AGRÈED.

And when a class action lawsuit is driven by greed for money, rather than recovery of loss, then the whole system has gone wrong.

I hope the guy fails and gets a heavy lawyers bill to boot.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
I could understand if they were not free of charge replacing the affected games but this greedy prick just wants free money, lets hope the judge presiding makes him liable for all the costs.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Game companies actually have money nowadays.
Lets find every law in the book we can use against them to get free money. . . .

Disgusting.

These people suing will obviously have deep pockets already too.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
oh jesus dear lord christ allmighty...
I am completely sick to my rectum with these sueing lawsuits.

Processor AMD R5 3600 @4.4GHz
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory PNY 16GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 w/2 Arctic P12 fans
Storage Samsung Evo 250GB & many more
Display(s) ASUS 24" + Acer 24"
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Cooler Master V650
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 64
So... spending thousands on this case will ease his pain over the $50 game? (I assume the
controller is the rest of the cost). I seriously hope this gets tossed out.

Class action lawsuits (thanks liberals!) are such garbage . One asshole and his asshole lawyer representing a large group of people get most of the money, then the rest of the group get a few dollars for themselves.

Lets please keep the politics out of this. I'm fairly liberal but in no way agree with this kind of abuse of the system.