• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Locking Up during video, is this RAM issue? (Have maturity in this post)

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Ok. Just so I can get as much details about my problems, I wont beat around the bush.

I play WoW, so at the end of a session, I run an Auction house Scan.

Anywho, whenever sometimes I get a movie, my system will completely freeze. Its only during video, so I'm not to sure what my problem could be. I think it could be a RAM overload, and cause it to lick up like it does, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

-Andrew

EDIT: content changes

Last edited:

Namslas90

Check controll panel > administrative options > event viewer > system (or applications), for an error logged that may have caused the shut down event. Post results here.

BTW thanks for the Action House Scan hint...My kids are gonna like that.

:toast:

System Name HAL_9017
Cooling Corsair H115i
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Check controll panel > administrative options > event viewer > system (or applications), for an error logged that may have caused the shut down event. Post results here.

BTW thanks for the Action House Scan hint...My kids are gonna like that.

Its called Auctioneer. Makes life great. I'll try to find that now.

System Name HAL_9017
Cooling Corsair H115i
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Ok. So this has to be a video probelem. I was playing WoW, and watching a recording of the Bathurst Race. It is about a 2 hour movie, but at 320 in hight. So it s not that big. About 540megs total.

Now here is exactly what happend.

My Moniter went blank, like the connection cutting out. The audo continued for about 30 seconds more. Then got into a loop, and my post speaker beeped, and load beeps went through the speakers.

I hit the reset button on my case immediantly, and all is normal agian. My specs are on the side tab, and I run XP Pro 32bit.

Man this is weirding me out, I have no Idea what could be going on. Should I just call EVGA now since it is video related?

Sounds to me like the video, my sister just got her laptop back after similar odd problems and the video on the mobo bit the dust. Still check the airflow around the video card and make sure its not getting too hot. If you push it and its not getting proper cooling it will lock up and do all sorts of odd things. I'd even go so far as to reseat the card (I had an old Cirrus AGP card I used to use to test unknown mobos and it would sometimes not seat right and thus crash, POST beeps and so on).

As far as RAM I just had a ram chip go south for no apparent reason. Just started doing memory dumps and other weird blue screens after which the system would lock into a loop of rebooting error rebooting. Never got a post beep or anything. Didn't even have to do anything terribly stressing to the system, sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't, made it hard to figure out. Eventually I pulled the RAM chips and sure enough that was the problem. Ran diagonstic and one of the chips failed (and a relatively new one at that).

System Name HAL_9017
Cooling Corsair H115i
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Sounds to me like the video, my sister just got her laptop back after similar odd problems and the video on the mobo bit the dust. Still check the airflow around the video card and make sure its not getting too hot. If you push it and its not getting proper cooling it will lock up and do all sorts of odd things. I'd even go so far as to reseat the card (I had an old Cirrus AGP card I used to use to test unknown mobos and it would sometimes not seat right and thus crash, POST beeps and so on).

As far as RAM I just had a ram chip go south for no apparent reason. Just started doing memory dumps and other weird blue screens after which the system would lock into a loop of rebooting error rebooting. Never got a post beep or anything. Didn't even have to do anything terribly stressing to the system, sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't, made it hard to figure out. Eventually I pulled the RAM chips and sure enough that was the problem. Ran diagonstic and one of the chips failed (and a relatively new one at that).

You mention reseating the card. Please do not think I sound condescending, but I am proud of my 8800GTX temps. People usually complain about 80c, but my load never gets above 65, I idle around 50. This is what believes me to think it could not be temps or air. Its dam cold. I assume it must be the card now and not the ram, because it is only a video issue, not ram. Te display cutting off was my indicator of this.

I guess I'll cal EVGA and see what they say. They don't have Gold Tech support for nothing.

PuMA

Processor lapped C2D e6850, 3600mhz
Motherboard ASUS P5N32-E SLI (680i SLI)
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U9, 3 2x120mm 1x180mm case fans
Memory 6GB A-DATA vitesta DDR2 900mhz (2x1gb + 2x2gb)
Video Card(s) LEASTEK GTX 260 (701/1408/1105)
Storage SAMSUNG F1 640GB SATAII/SEAGATE 250gb SATAII
Display(s) SAMSUNG 226BW 1680x1050 2ms
Case ANTEC three hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX, SONY surround AMP
Power Supply XION 630W
Software VISTA ULTIMATE x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06:15126 (701/1408/1105) vantage: 11698
u could run memtest just to be sure

Graogrim

System Name Paradigm
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43
Cooling OEM
Memory 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2 GB
Storage 128 MB Corsair M4 SSD + 1 TB WD Caviar Black
Display(s) Samsung 24"
Case Rosewill Challenger USB 3
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair GS 800
Software Windows 7 64 bit
Video playblack is generally not nearly as taxing to a video card as 3D rendering. If you can game without incident, then it's probably not your hardware.

On the other hand, with the bazillion and one different codecs, players, and drivers floating around odds are good that your problem stems from a software issue of some kind. I'll assume that you're running the latest release grade (i.e. non-beta) drivers for your video card.

So has this happened more than once? Is it random or can you specifically reproduce the issue? What are you using to play back videos? Have you tried more than one player? Do you have any extra codecs, codec packs or other special video software installed?

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
Video playblack is generally not nearly as taxing to a video card as 3D rendering. If you can game without incident, then it's probably not your hardware.

On the other hand, with the bazillion and one different codecs, players, and drivers floating around odds are good that your problem stems from a software issue of some kind. I'll assume that you're running the latest release grade (i.e. non-beta) drivers for your video card.

So has this happened more than once? Is it random or can you specifically reproduce the issue? What are you using to play back videos? Have you tried more than one player? Do you have any extra codecs, codec packs or other special video software installed?

Have to agree with ya Graogrim. I had similar issues awhile back and it was a codec issue. Ya might want to check your drivers,etc. for updates.

System Name HAL_9017
Cooling Corsair H115i
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
ok so i got off the phone with evga, and they told me the same thing. find some other codecs, and update my mobo and graphic drivers. so far so good. no problems yet. So all assume it was the codecs. Strange, I guess there could have been a conflict.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Not strange really...codecs can be a nightmare as different programs may load different codecs and such. I actually just had to fix my G/F's PC because I got her a program to re-encode movies to her Zune 30GB, it killed the WMP11 codecs so that no video could be watched in WMP, an attempt to do such would cause WMP to crash. A simple install of a popular codec pack fixed that problem though...I forget the name of it atm..if I remember, I'll letcha know.