• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista can't be installed, RAM timing problem? Please help

Annihilator

Processor AMD X2 6000+
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3h
Memory 2 GB
Hi guys,
I just tried again to install windows vista. It just crashes when it finishes the installation. It reboots then it crashes with this error:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a dirver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

Technical information: ***Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xFFAB483D,0x8D453AE4,0x00000000)

Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance

When I restart it it says: " Windows was rebooted. The installation can not be completed. Run the installation again".
I did, and it went out the same.
My system is : AMD x2 6000 with 2 Gigabyte ram. I already tried to run it with only one ram stick because somebody said it may be a ram problem. And somebody said I should check the timings, and make sure its on "auto". Well I cant find these settings in the bios, how exactly are they called?

Thank you, its really giving me headaches.

Namslas90

Please fill out system specs in the user CP menu. Without knowing your mobo - can't tell you anything about your BIOS options.

EDIT: See here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806
Scroll down to section -Stop: 0x0000007E or Stop: 0x0000008E

:toast:

Last edited:

Annihilator

Processor AMD X2 6000+
Memory 2 GB
I edited the specs, and to your link: I dont really understand what that means now. What should I do now? The harddrive is formatted.

Last edited:

Graogrim

System Name Paradigm
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43
Cooling OEM
Memory 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2 GB
Storage 128 MB Corsair M4 SSD + 1 TB WD Caviar Black
Display(s) Samsung 24"
Case Rosewill Challenger USB 3
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair GS 800
Software Windows 7 64 bit
Which version of Vista are you installing? Is it an upgrade or a full version? Have you been running Vista setup from within XP or are you attempting a clean installation?

The support bulletin that Namslas linked seems to indicate a possible driver migration or malware issue, but if you're installing to a formatted system I'm not sure how that could apply. Is this hard drive reformatted or brand new out of the box? If it's reformatted, you may want to take extra steps to make sure its master boot record has been wiped. Is it the ONLY hard drive in the system?

Assuming for a minute that the bulletin does apply, I'd recommend trying an installation with all nonessential peripherals disconnected or disabled. Pull *all* of your add-in cards other than one video card. Disconnect any external devices other than your monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Disable integrated peripherals such as sound, (redundant) video, parallel, and serial ports if applicable. Disable unused USB ports if possible--this may not apply if you have only a single USB controller and are depending on it for keyboard and mouse. The major exception to all of this would be a NIC. Whether an option card or integrated, leave it in/enabled. The goal is to eliminate as many potential points of failure as possible. If you get Vista installed successfully, you can later re-add and re-enable devices one at a time.

Annihilator

Processor AMD X2 6000+
Memory 2 GB
Ok, I only have everything onboard. Onboard sound, onboard graphics. It is an old harddisk, reformatted by the vista setup. It was xp before. It is Vista Ultimate. I dont know how to disable all this stuff, there where only the mouse, the keyboard and the monitor attached, nothing else beside the onboard stuff and the 1 gb memory.

Also I didnt run it from Windows, I just booted the disk.

It is sad that it will be so complicated to fix this, I really need the machine. :(

Could the error be that I did not load drivers? Or that I didnt upgrade the bios before? Or that I formatted the drive with xp installed, under the vista installation?

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Do youself a favor and don't bother with Vista untill you get a machine that can run it properly. Just use XP, you will thank me later.

Annihilator

Processor AMD X2 6000+
Memory 2 GB
Do youself a favor and don't bother with Vista untill you get a machine that can run it properly. Just use XP, you will thank me later.

Well I wouldnt bother with it, if I wouldnt need it. I would prefer to use xp anyway, but that is not my question.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Have you updated the motherboards bios using a floppy disk or flash drive yet? If not do that first.

Annihilator

Processor AMD X2 6000+
Memory 2 GB
Have you updated the motherboards bios using a floppy disk or flash drive yet? If not do that first.

Can I do that with USB too? Because, now I only have my laptop which does not have a floppy drive. And thanks for your help too, I didnt mean to sound ingrateful.

And sorry if you dont understand some stuff or my discriptions are crappy, I'm german. ;)

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
what type of hdd is that?!@?! maybe because of the age its not working right? I know its strange thought, but another thing we know about your rig to help out...

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Can I do that with USB too? Because, now I only have my laptop which does not have a floppy drive. And thanks for your help too, I didnt mean to sound ingrateful.

And sorry if you dont understand some stuff or my discriptions are crappy, I'm german. ;)

Nah, I was probablly being a bit of an ass with the XP comment anyway.;) You can totally use a usb flash drive or whatever, as long as you can get your current bios to boot from it. There should be an option for it. My guess right now is that your motherboard isn't being friendly with your memory and needs an update. So have an empty flash drive and put the bios file on it and plug it into a usb port with your computer off. Start it and try using the smartflash utility. I think Gigabyte mobos use that.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
here says that it supports vista prem.. not like this where it tells me nothing...
by any chance what version of vista ultimate are you trying to run?

Annihilator

Processor AMD X2 6000+
Memory 2 GB
I'm trying to run 32 Bit if you mean this. And if the mobo does not like the memory, wouldnt this have been a problem with XP also?

Namslas90

I edited the specs, and to your link: I dont really understand what that means now. What should I do now? The harddrive is formatted.

Open link and scroll down to your error; Stop: 0x0000007E or Stop: 0x0000008E

Follow instructions. :toast:

Graogrim

System Name Paradigm
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43
Cooling OEM
Display(s) Samsung 24"
If you're using an upgrade edition of Vista Ultimate, you unfortunately may have to reinstall XP. If you're using a full version, that's good--don't bother with XP and just boot straight from the Vista CD. For now, I'm proceeding under the assumption that you're using a full version and can perform a clean install.

If you can get into your motherboard's BIOS (typically at the POST screen it will tell you how, usually you have a slim window of opportunity to hit a key like Delete to make it happen) then you may want to take a look through the various options it presents. Don't change anything that you're not clear on, but explore all the options and try to get a sense of things. I'm sorry I can't be more specific as I'm not familiar with your motherboard. I'd have to lay eyes on the menu myself in order to tell you precisely where to go. Most BIOS setup utilities consist of a set of menus through which you can browse. Normally there are options to disable integrated hardware. Leave the video and network interface enabled, but disable the sound if you can. Additionally you may want to try operating your hard disk controller in "compatible" or "ata" mode if the option presents itself.

To eliminate another potential problem, start the Vista installation from a powered-down state and boot straight to the CD. Vista may have reformatted your hard drive, but there are still places where things can hide. So, you'll want to delete the windows partition completely and recreate it, after which you can quickformat it. This will have the net effect of overwriting the master boot record, which can be a haven for certain types of viruses. I haven't messed with Vista setup since the public beta, but if memory serves it's much like XP setup to start. You'll see the option to delete the partition in the screen that allows you to select the partition to which you wish to install the OS. It will ask for redundant confirmation before making things go poof, at which time you should have an empty list. Hit C to create a new partition and take the default choices, choose NTFS (quickformat) and let 'er rip.

Proceed with the installation and see what happens.

Annihilator

Processor AMD X2 6000+
Memory 2 GB
Ok, I did that. I disabled the audio, used 1 ram stick and tried again. I deleted the partition, formatted hdd and reinstalled vista. Still does not work, now it crashes again. When I try it in secure mode, it boots until I see the cursor, then it says the installation could not be completed and it restarts. :(

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Just something small that noone has asked,

What size is the hard drive Annihilator?

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Mmk, just asking. ;)

Didn't know if you had given Vista enough space to complete an installation.

Are you sure it's not an Upgrade pack versus an Installation pack?

Annihilator

Processor AMD X2 6000+
Memory 2 GB
Mmk, just asking. ;)

Didn't know if you had given Vista enough space to complete an installation.

Are you sure it's not an Upgrade pack versus an Installation pack?

Versus? Well, it is the normal ultimate edition, it says "upgrade disabled. Run it from windows" on the menu when I boot the dvd. Or what do you mean?

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
OK, answered what I was asking.

I see Cold Storm lurking around lets see what he has to say .....

I just cannot think of what it could be that's holding you back man. Are you trying to install while overclocked?

Graogrim

System Name Paradigm
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43
Cooling OEM
Display(s) Samsung 24"
I just did a search on your motherboard and geez a whiz that's a complicated board. It's got a beejillion bells and whistles. Disable the integrated IEEE 1394 port and that parallel port. If you can explicitly specify, look through your integrated graphics settings in your BIOS and configure them to be as simple as possible (they may already be that way but it can't hurt to take a look). Even better, if the option exists disable the integrated video all the way and use a simple PCI video card for the setup (don't sweat it if you don't have an old card handy to do this). If you have a setting for interrupt mode that lets you select between APIC and PIC, set it to APIC. Flash your BIOS to the most recent version if you can.

I've encountered systems that were reluctant to run all the way through an OS installation in the past, and invariably getting all the extra frills out of the way during setup solved the problem. Seeing that your motherboard has pretty much every conceivable feature but the kitchen sink makes me believe that this is right track for you as well.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
I just did a search on your motherboard and geez a whiz that's a complicated board. It's got a beejillion bells and whistles. Disable the integrated IEEE 1394 port and that parallel port. If you can explicitly specify, look through your integrated graphics settings in your BIOS and configure them to be as simple as possible (they may already be that way but it can't hurt to take a look). Even better, if the option exists disable the integrated video all the way and use a simple PCI video card for the setup (don't sweat it if you don't have an old card handy to do this). If you have a setting for interrupt mode that lets you select between APIC and PIC, set it to APIC. Flash your BIOS to the most recent version if you can.

I've encountered systems that were reluctant to run all the way through an OS installation in the past, and invariably getting all the extra frills out of the way during setup solved the problem. Seeing that your motherboard has pretty much every conceivable feature but the kitchen sink makes me believe that this is right track for you as well.

I'm with you on that 100%... When I looked at it I felt the same way as you.. Everything but the sink... Disabling the IEEE1394 will help out.. after much thought and remember the pain that I had when I tried to put vista on my old rig. Every time my 1394 was connected, it would free up and I have to restart. It wasn't till going to and updating my bios and connections on my mobo did it have any help...
I again say your on foot 100% with this...

OK, answered what I was asking.

I see Cold Storm lurking around lets see what he has to say .....

I just cannot think of what it could be that's holding you back man. Are you trying to install while overclocked?

I was lurking but couldn't do anything.. the Touch screen monitors at work are a killer for long talks...

I'm trying to run 32 Bit if you mean this. And if the mobo does not like the memory, wouldnt this have been a problem with XP also?

The point in what I asked was that the front page of your mobo says its supports vista prem. not that it supports ultimate... and with the memory is this. You need 4gbs of ram to run the 64bit ultimate right. You can run it with 2gbs (the 64bit) but its made for 4gbs.