• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

advice needed on which monitor cable to use

Processor Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI
Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6GB
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
Display(s) ASUS 23" LED Monitor
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (silver & black)
Audio Device(s) (onboard audio) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply CORSAIR SU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Software Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit Edition
i need advice on which monitor cable to use

i dont know the difference in the analog vs dvi cable so can someone explain it too me in simple terms?

my monitor only came with the analog cable with the blue connectors on it so what will give me the best results?

motherboard is the Gigabyte P35 DS3L with the Q6600 cpu

the monitor i have is this one: SAMSUNG 2220WM Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001240

the video card im using is this one: EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge :toast:

Processor Amd Ryzen 5 5600x kryonaut paste
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 P bios 4021
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm (top mounted for exhaust) 3 Thermaltake 140mm riing rgb case fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 cl16 2x16 dual rank
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700XT OC
Storage Seagate Firecuda 520 500gb NVMe PCIE Gen4 x 4 boot drive XPG S70 Blade Gen 4 x 4 NVMe gaming drive
Display(s) MSI Mag321CQR 32 inch curved 144 hz 1ms
Case Thermaltake View 31
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void USB RGB Dolby Digital 7.1 Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Grand RGB 750w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB
Software Windows 11 Professional
i need advice on which monitor cable to use

i dont know the difference in the analog vs dvi cable so can someone explain it too me in simple terms?

my monitor only came with the analog cable with the blue connectors on it so what will give me the best results?

motherboard is the Gigabyte P35 DS3L with the Q6600 cpu

the monitor i have is this one: SAMSUNG 2220WM Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001240

the video card im using is this one: EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge :toast:

They all come with a dvi. Dvi looks alot like analog but its not. Yours should have came with a dvi cord and a digital to analog converter plug in.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If your monitor only has an analog input (15 pin) it won't matter what output you use from your video card. You can convert from DVI to analog with an adapter, but the results will be the same as far as image quality goes.

If both the video card and monitor have DVI ports, use them. Much better.
I believe that both of the devices you listed have DVI connections, so get a DVI cable if you do not have one.

Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
They all come with a dvi. Dvi looks alot like analog but its not. Yours should have came with a dvi cord and a digital to analog converter plug in.

yes my monitor has an analog input (15 pin) and dvi input and it came with a dvi cable with white plugs and also a vga cable with blue plugs which i believe is refered to as analog cable

my video card has dvi connections and a converter to connect the blue vga cable (analog)

i assume dvi is better but i figured someone here could explain the difference in the two and if i should upgrade it somehow, you know like maybe get better cables like the ones that have gold plating or something.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If both the monitor and the VC have DVI you don't need any fancy, expensive cables as you are not going to be transmitting more that a couple of feet between the monitor and computer.

All the "super connection" sales pitch is crap as most cable have almost zero loss at lengths of less that 2 meters (six feet).

The gold connectors will not tarnish in the way that copper will, but I have yet to see a cable connection that is tarnished that is kept in a enviromentally controlled room (like your home).

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Let me share a bit more....

In audio the idea of high quality cables has some merit.
When sending analog signals over cable they are much more succeptable to interference and noise introduced through poor coupling (connections). This launched the market for items like Monster Cables and the like.

With the advent of digital signal transmission, the idea of getting a clean signal to the destination is important, but the transmission protocols and the high speed signal processors are capable of making sure that the digital transmissions are accurate and timely without having to rely on high end transmission components. A copper signal wire will do just fine for everything we have today in the digital world for short transmission lengths.

All in all, you are much better off spending money on high end components that you are on over-priced cables.

As always, this is my opinion and someone out there will swear they ot an extra pixel to light up with a $100 cable.

Let me share a bit more....

In audio the idea of high quality cables has some merit.
When sending analog signals over cable they are much more succeptable to interference and noise introduced through poor coupling (connections). This launched the market for items like Monster Cables and the like.

With the advent of digital signal transmission, the idea of getting a clean signal to the destination is important, but the transmission protocols and the high speed signal processors are capable of making sure that the digital transmissions are accurate and timely without having to rely on high end transmission components. A copper signal wire will do just fine for everything we have today in the digital world for short transmission lengths.

ok, so its not like a cable wire where you get better picture out of a better cable as in signal loss is not an issue.

ok then whats the difference in analog signal vs digital signal? isnt it converted anyway? is the difference about speed, picture quality, or response times?

As always, this is my opinion and someone out there will swear they ot an extra pixel to light up with a $100 cable.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :toast:

Last edited:

Graogrim

System Name Paradigm
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43
Cooling OEM
Memory 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2 GB
Storage 128 MB Corsair M4 SSD + 1 TB WD Caviar Black
Display(s) Samsung 24"
Case Rosewill Challenger USB 3
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair GS 800
Software Windows 7 64 bit
All in all, you are much better off spending money on high end components that you are on over-priced cables.
Agreed 100%.

A digital signal consists basically of 0's and 1's, defined at precisely calibrated levels. An analog signal, on the other hand, consists of a varying waveform which is analogous to the values being represented. The tradeoff between the two with regard to signal quality lies in the way they degrade. An analog signal degrades by gradually becomes a worse approximation of the data it's intended to represent, getting "blurrier" and "muddier" until it reaches a state of illegibility.

A digital signal is more absolute. It will tolerate signal degradation without any loss of quality all the way up to the point where the 0's and 1's start to become indistinguishable, at which point--barring error correction techniques beyond the scope of this discussion--the information is irretrievable. If you've watched digital satellite TV you've probably noticed occasional hiccups and bursts of blockiness. Those are the manifestations of digital data loss--a more radical change in picture quality when the signal is bad, but as long as the signal remains above a certain minimum level it's a perfect reproduction of the original data.

It's for this reason that you don't need super-expensive digital cables. As long as the 1's and 0's make it across the connection in a state that's "good enough" to be distinguished, you can't improve on the origninal data, and no amount of gold or platinum or unobtanium in the connection will make it any better.

Last edited:
Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
ok then whats the difference in analog signal vs digital signal? isnt it converted anyway? is the difference about speed, picture quality, or response times?

Put simply. DVI is a digital signal, hence you get a clearer, crisper picture. I however think the colour reproduction is slightly lower on DVI but it's not really that noticeable. I'm just picky :p