• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gateway's Foxconn C51GU01 bios unlocked

MrG

Hi All,

One of my clients has a Gateway GT5056 with a Foxconn C51GU01 mobo. He has a requirement to have his machine go into standby. He also needs to have wake up on lan and wake up on ring capabilities. The WOL was not problem. I just enabled the feature in the bios and it worked. The WOR was another story. I could not get the machine to WOR when a Fax came in.

I researched this problem and found that the Award bios should contain a setting for WOR. I determined that Gateway bios engineers had hidden the setting in the bios and had it set to disabled by default. I am not to bothered that they disable the CPU and memory frequency settings but why would they disable WOR. I called Gateway and they were no help at all. The machine is out of warranty and they wanted 39 bucks to speak to a support technician that probably does not even no what WOR is.

I stumbled on a post in this forum http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30405
This post discusses cross flashing the C51GU01 with Foxconns 6100K8MA-RS bios.
I was tempted but folks were having problems when doing this. So I decided to try and unlock WOR and all the other settings Gateway has hidden from us all. I have successfully unlocked all of the features except the serial port settings. There was no point in unlocking the serial settings because the board does not have an onboard serial port.

I would like to thank the folks that participated in the post mentioned above. Without you I would of never found the tools that I needed to get the job done. I have attached a zip file with the orginal and unlocked bin files as well as the tools I used to unlock the bios. The kit also conatins a bootable ISO. The ISO allows you to flash the original bios or the unlocked bios from a bootable CD. I have flashed the unlocked bios on my clients machine and it works fine. I was able to get WOR working. For you overclockers, all of the settings are there. Please read Reame!!!.txt in the kit.

Enjoy all...

Attachments

• C51GU01P04BIOS.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,025
Last edited:

Zippy

Processor Intel E6600 conroe@ 3.50ghz
Motherboard Evga 680i Sli
Cooling Tuniq Tower
Memory 4x1b Gskill 4-4-4-12 T1 @815 mhz
Video Card(s) Bfg 8800 gts @ 640/1100
Storage 2x 74gb Raptors + 2x 500gb Barracudas
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1
Power Supply Antec 800w quad sli cert
Software Dual boot Xp Pro + Win Vista Ultimate
I used this and it did unlock my bios ! However I am not seeing the FSB and voltage mod part of it :( I have set the frequency up but it hasnt changed my clock speeds .. Any Idea why ?

MrG

Hi Zippy,

First of all thanks for trying out the unlocked bios. I must say that I have not tried to overclock using this bios. The machine I was working on was for a client and I was only interested in getting the WOR function unlocked. I simply unlocked the bios settings that Gateway had hidden. I pulled up the bios again in modbin6 and do not see any options for FSB or CPU voltage. I can also tell you that there is no voltage setting for your memory either with the Gateway bios. Gateway has either removed these settings or they never existed in the first place. I had a look at the 6100K8MA-RS bios in modbin6. I do see a CPU voltage and VDIMM voltage in that bios. You can try cross flashing if you wish but be aware of some potential problems. Please read this post for cross flasing and problems associated with this approach. Thanks...
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30405

Zippy

Cooling Tuniq Tower
Here is an update. I could be wrong here but I have noticed that you can turn the FSB up a little. However you cannot turn the voltage up. I was reading somewhere else that Gateway and other prebuilt comps use resistors to make voltage constant. I think the only way to get these guys overclocked is to pencil mod them. Thats a little risky since you cant undo it if you go to far. I have decided not to do it at all since all I use my gateway for is to host a couple web pages, a linux server and a tf2 server. It really doesnt need the extra power anyhow.

Namslas90

Depending on the BIOS version some voltage control may be unlocked in the bios. As far as I know there is a version .4,.9 and .11. At one time I had a bios-modder unlock the Vdimm voltage controll in version .9. I have it somewhere on a cd, just not sure which one it is..LOL.

:toast:

Zippy

Cooling Tuniq Tower
If you happen to find it I would like to get it. how much risk is envolved? I'm by no means new to modding or overclocking, but I NEED this comp to work, for the above reasons ^,^

Namslas90

If you happen to find it I would like to get it. how much risk is envolved? I'm by no means new to modding or overclocking, but I NEED this comp to work, for the above reasons ^,^

I'll look for it. AthlonX2 modded it for me so I could run my OCZ memory at 2.6vdimm. Thats the only mod on that version. It may take a whlie I got a lot of BIOS's for that mobo...LOL

:toast:

Last edited:

GhostUnit

before i Download this , can i Overclock processor with this?

Has anyone tried? ^^

MrG

Hi GhostUnit,

You can change your CPU frequency but not your CPU voltage. Gateway did not include a setting for CPU Voltage so there was nothing for me to unlock or unhide. I am not familiar with overclocking a CPU so I do not no if you will need to also change the CPU voltage to have an effect. However you should still download and install my unlocked bios. It is simply the stock bios with all the hidden options unlocked so you can see them. There maybe other settings that you may wish to tweak that were hidden by Gateway. Give it a try and let us no if you successfully overclocked your CPU...

GhostUnit

Lol have you ever try though? :X

i don't know how to OC but i wanna know if is possible so i can try ^^
2.4 , 2.6 would be great around there.

i will install it when i get Blank CD :p and try

Namslas90

Lol have you ever try though? :X

i don't know how to OC but i wanna know if is possible so i can try ^^
2.4 , 2.6 would be great around there.

i will install it when i get Blank CD :p and try

You should be able to get 2.6 with no vcore increase. Over that is gonna be tough though.

More of a problem is Vdim if you changed the Ram to anything good.

GhostUnit

You should be able to get 2.6 with no vcore increase. Over that is gonna be tough though.

More of a problem is Vdim if you changed the Ram to anything good.

oh i need better RAM? :(
what if i got weak one lol 1gb DDR ;/ i should do 2.5 or still to highh?

or i shouldnt OC? :X

Namslas90

oh i need better RAM? :(
what if i got weak one lol 1gb DDR ;/ i should do 2.5 or still to highh?

or i shouldnt OC? :X

Just check the Ram specs to set Vdim correctly for your ram. the stock Gateway should be 2.2 to 2.4, depending on which Ram (of the three) they installed in your rig.

You should still be able to get up to 2.4-2.5Ghz.

GhostUnit

Just check the Ram specs to set Vdim correctly for your ram. the stock Gateway should be 2.2 to 2.4, depending on which Ram (of the three) they installed in your rig.

You should still be able to get up to 2.4-2.5Ghz.

my RAM is gateway , how do i check ^^

sry i am newbie at this.

well 2.5 it is :) cause CS:S is CPU dependent! i hit 30-40 :( with 10v10.. bah

Namslas90

my RAM is gateway , how do i check ^^

sry i am newbie at this.

well 2.5 it is :) cause CS:S is CPU dependent! i hit 30-40 :( with 10v10.. bah

The gateways with that mobo were sold with three different Ram's. Samsung, Kingston, and some generic stuff.

Download CPU-Z
Instal and run. then check the SPD tab to see what Ram you have. Although it realy won't matter much it will either OC or not. Most likley the voltages were set when the computer was built.

GhostUnit

The gateways with that mobo were sold with three different Ram's. Samsung, Kingston, and some generic stuff.

Download CPU-Z
Instal and run. then check the SPD tab to see what Ram you have. Although it realy won't matter much it will either OC or not. Most likley the voltages were set when the computer was built.

oh thx ya i will give it a try ^^

if it doesn't OC is fine

imma do this when i get blank CD ^^ do you have msn or something? ^^ to help lol
when i try ^^ thx

Namslas90

Installing this BIOS , then Ocing ^^

^^

I have run 5 different Bioses on my Gateway GT5056. No major problems. Currently running at 2.6Ghz on a BIOS modded by Athlon X2, another TPU member.(modded BIOS was necessary to up Vdim to 2.6 volts for OCZ gold RAM).

Almost everybody in this thread is OC'd or BIOS modded. Same with this thread;

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=30405&highlight=C51GU01

Overclocking is simple but you need to make sure your Cooling is up to the task.
Have you ever checked or replaced the thermal paste on your CPU?
Have you added any case fans?

Must warn you, you can damage your computer. No guarantees!

GhostUnit

I have run 5 different Bioses on my Gateway GT5056. No major problems. Currently running at 2.6Ghz on a BIOS modded by Athlon X2, another TPU member.(modded BIOS was necessary to up Vdim to 2.6 volts for OCZ gold RAM).

Almost everybody in this thread is OC'd or BIOS modded. Same with this thread;

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=30405&highlight=C51GU01

Overclocking is simple but you need to make sure your Cooling is up to the task.
Have you ever checked or replaced the thermal paste on your CPU?
Have you added any case fans?

Must warn you, you can damage your computer. No guarantees!

LOl thx I am not gonna OC ^^ cause your right i need fan , better RAM etc.

i saw this chart close to +4600

http://news.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_8800_gtx_gts_amd_cpu_scaling/page10.asp

so OCing to 2.4 i will just get a few fps.. :( ( only HL2 engines i could get 10 fps extra!! and few games... )

but i atleast wanna try , 2.4 or 2.5 should be ok if no fan ..? lol or i can use a fan big one and put next to the desktop haha
well gonna rest ;) well talk about it tomorrow i really wanna try atleast. ^^

but nice Ocing. 2.6 ;X

just like +5000? or +5200 lol

2.5 for me would beeee great

Last edited:

GhostUnit

I unlocked BIOS it worked but I don't see to OC processor... ;/

PS: And is there any program to Overclock? can be possible?
Like ClockGen or w.e... , etc

Btw Nam have you tried this BIOS and you OCed Successfully? ^^ If you didn't use this what did you use? :)

But for now i am trying to know when to Overclock ^^ i clicked f2 i searched , but nothinggg

Last edited: