• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Its a toss up between 2 8800gt

System Name Daedalus | O'Neill | ZPM Hive |
Processor M3 Pro (11/14) | Epyc 7402p | i5 12400F |
Motherboard Apple M3 Pro | SM H11SSL-i | TUF B660M-E D4 |
Cooling Pure Silence | Noctua NH-U12S TR4 | Noctua NH-D14 |
Memory 18GB Unified | 128GB DDR4 | 16GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) M3 Pro | RTX 4070FE (VM) | ARC A750 LE |
Storage 512GB NVME | ALOT of SSD's | 1TB NVME |
Display(s) 14" 3024x1964 | IPMI | 1440p UW |
Case Macbook Pro 14" | NZXT H510 Flow| BC1 Test Bench |
Audio Device(s) Onboard | None | Onboard |
Power Supply ~ 77w Magsafe | EVGA 750w G3 | HX1000i |
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
Software MacOS Sonoma | Proxmox 8 | Win 11 x64 |
Yeah, the GTS may be the better value than 1GB GT, unless you find a good deal. But my only point is that the 1GB card has it's benefits, and that some games do use more than 512MB of the buffer.

I am not dissagreeing with you however it does appear that reviews at least don't seem to share the same conclusion (which as you said above is why we also need to take into account actual user feedback).

I think when it comes to it if you can get a 1gb 8800GT for not much more than a 512mb model then its worth it, even if you don't see any performance advantage now (as a user not based on reviews) it may show some performance benefit later on.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I am not dissagreeing with you however it does appear that reviews at least don't seem to share the same conclusion (which as you said above is why we also need to take into account actual user feedback).

I think when it comes to it if you can get a 1gb 8800GT for not much more than a 512mb model then its worth it, even if you don't see any performance advantage now (as a user not based on reviews) it may show some performance benefit later on.

for a past example: i'm pretty sure users with 256MB cards are pissed nowadays, compared to the 512MB users of the same GPU (x1800/x1900) users for example)

System Name Meshify C Ryzen 2019
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism LED Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4 ( F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW, 16-16-16-36 @ 3200Mhz )
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX6800 ( 2400Mhz/2150Mhz )
Storage Samsung Evo 960
Display(s) Pixio PX275h
Case Fractal Design Meshify C – Dark TG
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 300 ( Headset )
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series 650W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G 15
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I agree 100% with this statement.

If you have to pay 50-60$ more for the 1GB version, I think that you're better off buying better cooling for CPU or the GPU...

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
It's funny that you instult me, me, someone who uses reviews to defend his statements. Someone who has owned and/or tested practicly every card that gets released.

I did simular tests as HardOCP to test if they were honest.

But you guys, the only thing you can say is "I think that" because you haven't tested ****, youf all ignorant. You instult me while you don't have a single review that shows you might my correct.

I got reviews to backup your statements, what do you guys have? God??? Are you guys all phychic???

I am assuming you are NOT referring to me when you talk about someone "insulting" you, nowhere in my post above have I insulted anyone (my post was not even aimed at you, it was a general thread point), I see however from your post that you seem to be insulting someone!, I have simply stated facts on my experience with the 2 cards. reviews are great but even reviews can differ, I find the best way to decide what is best for me is personal experience, I would personally rather see what a piece of hardware will do in my system than see what it will do in someone else's. As I said, in my experience with both cards, in Crysis only at high res with everything including AA maxed the 1GB 8800GT OVERCLOCKED to 700mhz performed better than my 512MB GT that was also overclocked to 700mhz......nothing more I can really say, do any of the reviews show the stats with an overclocked 1GB GT?

Storage Samsung Evo 960
Display(s) Pixio PX275h
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G 15
I am assuming you are NOT referring to me when you talk about someone "insulting" you, nowhere in my post above have I insulted anyone (my post was not even aimed at you, it was a general thread point), I see however from your post that you seem to be insulting someone!, I have simply stated facts on my experience with the 2 cards. reviews are great but even reviews can differ, I find the best way to decide what is best for me is personal experience, I would personally rather see what a piece of hardware will do in my system than see what it will do in someone else's. As I said, in my experience with both cards, in Crysis only at high res with everything including AA maxed the 1GB 8800GT OVERCLOCKED to 700mhz performed better than my 512MB GT that was also overclocked to 700mhz......nothing more I can really say, do any of the reviews show the stats with an overclocked 1GB GT?

I was talking about the people who were attacking me personally. No you, you make good arguments.

Now, you say that the 1GB performed better, but was it at playable settings? And I see 30-35fps on Crysis as playable because once you get lower, you get mouse-lag.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I was talking about the people who were attacking me personally. No you, you make good arguments.

Now, you say that the 1GB performed better, but was it at playable settings? And I see 30-35fps on Crysis as playable because once you get lower, you get mouse-lag.

Yes it was, if I remember rightly the average 7fps increase for the 1GB card was at 36FPS I think, the 512MB card was at 29FPS I think at those settings.

I will try and do a couple of runs over the next couple of night at home between the 1GB GT and the 512MB GTS at high detail, not to prove or disprove anyones point here but to just see for my own sake because as I said, my findings were only for one game (Crysis) which we all know makes some odd demands on hardware, I would like to see how other games perform with the different memory sizes so my thoughts would be, using the 2 cards with say a quad at a reasonable level of say 3Gig (thinking of average user here), both cards set at shall we say 700mhz core for one run, 750mhz core for another and see how they perform, if the 1GB GT beats the 512MB GTS in ANY test that would show the benefits as the GTS has more shaders.

Will keep you all informed.........I just dont want to keep a flame war alive so best you all agree to disagree for the time being (those that are disagreeing that is). It will probably take me a couple of days to do it all as work is busy at the moment and not getting home until late in the evenings so bare with me!

1280 x 1024 is my CRT monitors max resolution so laugh all you want but thats what i play at
hmmmn i dont know if the extra memory is actually worth the £50 extra i mean i dont even have £50 extra to spend on a graphics card

im getting a new case so there is no way unless is its a much better buy im getting a 1gb version
id like to see these benchmarks and results to seems interesting im notdoubting that the extra memory wont come in handy but if the gpu itself isnt going to utilise it then what the point imo

lol i think i saw a 1gb version of the 8500gt whats the point of that

Storage Samsung Evo 960
Display(s) Pixio PX275h
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G 15
Eeuhm, if your max resolution is 1280x1024, you really, really, really don't need 1GB :D

I play most of my games on 2048x1536 with 512mb...

my monitor is something around 3/4 years old but its got a nice non hurt your eyes picture on it
its black and silver so theres no big style issue unless you count the fact its a CRT and has a big ass

just a random 17inch

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
Whew- this is getting brutal and I'm prolly gonna get trashed here but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

If you want to understand the value of 1GB on the 8800GT you need to take a step back for a minute. Way back to about 30,000 feet so you can look at the big picture.

Video games are not moving in the direction of using less RAM. If you disagree with that just stop reading here. As we move forward, games will want more memory.

Does the 8800GT benefit from having 1GB? In some cases. Those cases are mostly a moot point (FOR NOW) because, as been already mentioned, they occur at equally unplayable frame rates as the 512MB version.

But is this an indicator of how these cards will perform on games in six months or even a year? I think it is. As driver releases come out and game patches are released performance is improved.

But you have to be careful about which games you use as an example. FEAR and Bioshock are not likely to be getting any updates so I wouldn't expect to see any additional improvement over time. That's fine with me because no one really plays those games much any more anyway.

Crysis, for as pretty as it is, is going to suffer the same fate as Far Cry (I'd bet). It looks great and shows of the technology of the hardware but gameplay is so FUBAR that no one will actually play the game outside of the single player version. I would only expect to see two or three updates before the game dies altogether.

UT3, I hope, will last a little longer since they allow player mods. If they can make the game fun to play again we might see a long update path.

COD4 is probably the most important benchmark to look at in any case. The game is wicked fun and very popular. I think we can expect to see periodic updates over at least a year.

Let's take a break from that for a minute and talk about the hardware.

The reason you don't see as much of an improvement going from 512MB to 1GB as, believe me, we would all like to see is the power of the GPU. You can demonstrate that through simple overclocking. As you increase the speed of the GPU you will find a direct correlation to the performance increase over that of the 512MB card.

Is it possible to OC the card high enough to get us into playable frames rates at really high resolutions while using AA and AF? I have to say, not at this time. But now we need to go back to the software part of this.

How will driver updates and game patches affect performance over the course of a year or two? Obviously everyone would hope things would improve and I think in most cases they will. Will they improve to the point that having a 1GB 8800GT makes OBVIOUS sense? I think in some cases yes (like COD4) and in some cases no (like Crysis).

I should add that when I say obvious I simply mean producing a perceivable decrease in the number of frames rendered below what we would consider playable.

There's another side to all this that I'm posting right now. Give me a minute to finish that before everyone jumps on me.

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
One of the things Palit is trying to do is drive the industry forward in general. It's fine to just sit back and make great cards that support what is going on now but part of what we do has to have an eye on the future.

We have an entire family of 1GB cards including the 8500GT and 8600GT. Is there any sense in having a 1GB 8500? Only if you take epeen into consideration. And even that is a stretch (no pun intended).

But it does send a message. Palit is willing to step up to the plate and at least try to actively make a go of looking toward the future. Does anyone doubt that in a year or two most cards will have a 1GB flavor?

So I am willing to admit that in most cases on today's date the 1GB is a little ahead of its time, especially when you string it down to the mainstream grade parts.

With this explanation here are the conclusions I'd like people to understand.

1. 1GB performance should improve over time depending on the game
  2. Palit is doing its part to push the industry forward

Are people going to buy a 1GB version not fully understanding what it will and will not do? Of course. Did Palit release 1GB cards just so people could claim epeen? Rubbish, no. Not JUST for that reason. I'm not afraid to admit that Palit, to a certain extent, likes epeen. Why wouldn't we? We make overclocked cards too.

The last thing to take into consideration is price. If Palit was charging some crazy amount for the 1GB cards things would be very different. Typically we see just a $30US difference, give or take, between the 512MB and 1GB versions on the Palit designed versions. That tells you we're not trying to take undue advantage on the marketing side.

So when you are deciding between the 512MB and the 1GB versions, if you just want to look at a combination of price and performance your decision should include two factors.

1. Am I concerned about how this card will perform in a year or two?
  2. Do I think that driver updates and game patches will improve performance?

If this card is only going to be in your rig for a few months, then I would say go with the 512MB version. If you disagree with me that no amount of game patching or driver updating will improve things over time enough to make the 1GB worth it, then I would say go with the 512MB version.

Yes, you heard it right, the guy that works for Palit just said it's ok for people to buy a less expensive card. I've also said that the 1GB card isn't always better than the 512MB card.

So now you see some of Palit's thinking on the 1GB v 512MB debate. I'll keep my eye on this thread and try to answer any questions.

ChillyMyst

for a past example: i'm pretty sure users with 256MB cards are pissed nowadays, compared to the 512MB users of the same GPU (x1800/x1900) users for example)

EXECTLY!!!!!!! unless ur stuck at 1280 and below(or in some cases 1024 and below) 256mb cards are horribly crippled for current games.....even at those lower res's you gotta watch your AA levels because they will eat up ur videoram fast.

now also remmber the 3850's drivers are not optimized for 1gb yet, the 2900's barly are, because these cards ARE NOT COMMON YET, just like when the 4.12's came out and gave the 256mb ati cards that nice boost they got, its a waiting game, the same kinda update happened with the x1k line a nice perf boost happened with a driver update if you had a 512 card vs a 256(256 still got a boost but it was smaller)

if you get it at a good price the 1gb card is the better choice for FUTURE GAMES, if not just get the 512mb, but for the love of god dont get a 256mb unless u plan to game at 1024 or 800 res........even then......ewww

Storage Samsung Evo 960
Display(s) Pixio PX275h
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G 15
One of the things Palit is trying to do is drive the industry forward in general. It's fine to just sit back and make great cards that support what is going on now but part of what we do has to have an eye on the future.

We have an entire family of 1GB cards including the 8500GT and 8600GT. Is there any sense in having a 1GB 8500? Only if you take epeen into consideration. And even that is a stretch (no pun intended).

But it does send a message. Palit is willing to step up to the plate and at least try to actively make a go of looking toward the future. Does anyone doubt that in a year or two most cards will have a 1GB flavor?

So I am willing to admit that in most cases on today's date the 1GB is a little ahead of its time, especially when you string it down to the mainstream grade parts.

With this explanation here are the conclusions I'd like people to understand.

1. 1GB performance should improve over time depending on the game
  2. Palit is doing its part to push the industry forward

Are people going to buy a 1GB version not fully understanding what it will and will not do? Of course. Did Palit release 1GB cards just so people could claim epeen? Rubbish, no. Not JUST for that reason. I'm not afraid to admit that Palit, to a certain extent, likes epeen. Why wouldn't we? We make overclocked cards too.

The last thing to take into consideration is price. If Palit was charging some crazy amount for the 1GB cards things would be very different. Typically we see just a $30US difference, give or take, between the 512MB and 1GB versions on the Palit designed versions. That tells you we're not trying to take undue advantage on the marketing side.

So when you are deciding between the 512MB and the 1GB versions, if you just want to look at a combination of price and performance your decision should include two factors.

1. Am I concerned about how this card will perform in a year or two?
  2. Do I think that driver updates and game patches will improve performance?

If this card is only going to be in your rig for a few months, then I would say go with the 512MB version. If you disagree with me that no amount of game patching or driver updating will improve things over time enough to make the 1GB worth it, then I would say go with the 512MB version.

Yes, you heard it right, the guy that works for Palit just said it's ok for people to buy a less expensive card. I've also said that the 1GB card isn't always better than the 512MB card.

So now you see some of Palit's thinking on the 1GB v 512MB debate. I'll keep my eye on this thread and try to answer any questions.

Look, Palit is selling 8500GT and 8600GT cards because they want to fool people that don't know anything about GPU's, not because they want to "drive the industry forward". Come on...:rolleyes:

I can't beleave 2 people actually thanked you for your message :eek:

ChillyMyst

they are selling those cards because there is a market for them, no other reasion matters in buisness, if they can make a profit selling something they will, most users dont need an 8800gt or 3870, a mid range card will suit them perfectly, please grow up, i mean honestly do you have to be so rude and condecending to people who dont agree with you?

edit: wanted to add that for somebody whos running software like autocad and dosnt need a high end card 1gb mid range can be usefull, look at the quatro and firegl cards, they have 1gb cards based on 7300/1300 chips all the way up to the latist greatist chips, theres a market for those cards, its just not the gamers market.

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
I don't have the exact numbers but I can tell you that the number of 1GB 8500GTs we sell is very small. It's really more of a token effort than anything else. Same goes for the 8600GT 1GB. The point is to say that we have a FAMILY of 1GB cards.

I agree that we COULD release these widely and that there are many people who would buy them just because they, inaccurately, believe that on the lower end cards it makes a difference.

But that isn't what we're doing and that isn't what people are buying. Don't sell people so short. Also remember that on the low end price is king. The 1GB version costs more than any other version of 8500GT which further incentive for them not to buy it.

The same thing goes for the 8600GT. Can you game with it? For the most part. But the folks buying that one are trying to game on the smallest budget possible. So we see the same thing here, Palit doesn't make many and people don't buy many.

So, on the lower end, it really is more of a statement than anything else. Can you measure a performance difference? Yes. Is it terribly meaningful? Not really. Are we doing any marketing to promote these cards? No.

As for people thanking me for my post... I'm not in here spewing out a bunch of marketing crap. I'm providing real answers about what's going on as we see it. If you don't agree we can discuss it and I'll do the best I can to explain.

I don't think it's real common for manufacturers to hang out in forums and provide real, non-BS answers. Ya, there are a few, but that's the exception and not the rule. It could be they are just saying thanks for taking the time to come by and at least acknowledge that enthusiasts exist and to answer some questions.

I also want to make sure that people get real information from a legitimate source. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but don't expect me to sit idly by and let you say anything you want about Palit.

I don't know your real name so I can't be positive but I'm pretty sure you don't work for Palit. That means you can't represent Palit or state as fact what our intentions are. If you are of the OPINION that we are trying to rip people off, you are free to say so. But to say...

Look, Palit is selling 8500GT and 8600GT cards because they want to fool people that don't know anything about GPU's, not because they want to "drive the industry forward".

(I think) is beyond your purview. You are free to say you THINK that's what we're doing.

In the interest of not turning this into a worthless flaming section I want to say this very carefully. I am happy to explain what we're doing and why as long as we all understand this is a conversation. The only person in this thread (so far) that is qualified to say what Palit's intentions are is me since I'm the only one here that works for them.

The effect of this is that if I say, "Jelle Mees doesn't know what he's talking about because he doesn't work for Palit." I could be wrong. Maybe you do and I just don't know your online name. Since I'm not sure I can only say, "I THINK Jelle Mees doesn't know what he's talking about because I don't THINK he works for Palit."

The difference is that you can come back and correct me if I'm wrong. If you do work for Palit it's a simple thing for me to say," Oh, OK, you do work for Palit so you must be able to speak to their intentions. Sorry, my bad." It would show that my thinking was incorrect. But if I just say you don't know what you're talking about and it turns out you really are a Palit employee, you would be qualified to state their intentions as fact and I would be wrong.

So, I guess the easiest and most polite thing I can do at this point is simply to ask, are you a Palit employee and therefore qualified to state Palit's intentions, or is it just your opinion that Palit is simply trying to "fool" people?

Last edited:

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
they are selling those cards because there is a market for them, no other reasion matters in buisness, if they can make a profit selling something they will, most users dont need an 8800gt or 3870, a mid range card will suit them perfectly, please grow up, i mean honestly do you have to be so rude and condecending to people who dont agree with you?

edit: wanted to add that for somebody whos running software like autocad and dosnt need a high end card 1gb mid range can be usefull, look at the quatro and firegl cards, they have 1gb cards based on 7300/1300 chips all the way up to the latist greatist chips, theres a market for those cards, its just not the gamers market.

This is true. In the CAD world there are many folks who need to be able to render things that utilize the huge frame buffer but don't need to render things in real time. Typically, this is a secretary or some kind of assistant that occasionally needs to open a CAD file (or something like that, I'm not an expert on the subject) but doesn't need the expense of a full blown rendering card.

Granted, it's not common, but I did say we don't sell many of these.

We also have some medical applications where customers have been asking for this much memory. I don't really know if they actually get that much benefit from the added RAM but these are not typical consumers. If they are specifically asking for this solution and they can take enough units to make it worth our while to build and sell them, well, why wouldn't we?

On the consumer side, ya, we don't promote these cards very much.

Storage Samsung Evo 960
Display(s) Pixio PX275h
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G 15
Maybe I shouldn't have sad "trying to fool people". The correct words would be "fool people."

As a Palit employee, I am sure that you know that many, many gamers just look at the number ( in this case Geforce 8 ) and the amount of memory.

I am an admin in a gaming community and beleave me when I say, most gamers have no clue about core/memory speed, the amount of shaders, the difference between GDDR2/3/4, the difference between 128bit/256bit/320bit/etc... and so many other things that effect a cards performance. I know that, Palit knows that, my grandma knows that...

Now, let me quote something from the palit website:

Redefine your gaming reality with NVIDIA® DirectX® 10 GeForce® 8500 graphics processing units (GPUs). GeForce® 8500GT Super+1GB equipped with avant-garde 1024MB super memory size which allows the users to escape from memory capacity bottlenecks. It features the architecture with unparalleled levels of graphics realism and performance for Microsoft DX ®9 and DX® 10 games for the pricepoint.

Now, you come here and tell me that the goal is not to fool gamers???

Gaming reality? Crysis on 800x600 is not exactly what i call "gaming reality".
Escape from memory capacity bottleneck? The 8500GT IS THE BOTTLENECK for 1024MB.

Now let me quote something from the press release:

The graphics giant once again takes the lead in introducing avant-garde graphics card design to the world. Palit is already well-known for its super version products, which features 512MB super size memory. Now the latest Super+1GB version graphics cards with 1024MB king size memory is ready to rock the market.

The lead in avant-garde graphics card design to the world? Jeezz...
"Ready to rock the market?" Lets change that to "Ready to rock the market on 800x600"
I probably don't need to tell you this, but the old ATI X1300XT ( released two years ago ) is faster then the 8500GT Super+ 1024MB...

And yes it's true that these cards can be usefull in CAD or other software, but don't think for a second that Palit is targeting CAD users...

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
So we definitely agree on this point. Every company I'm aware of describes all of their products in the best light possible. Here's a quote from ATI on their X1300:

Radeon™ X1300 Series – Adrenaline for Your PC

Pay for what you need—and get a whole lot more. From playing games and surfing the Internet to watching digital video and editing photographs, the Radeon™ X1300 series of graphics processors breathe life into the graphics of all your media applications.

The X1300 can accelerate digital imaging tasks, enhance 3D graphics in PC games, output a billion more colors than the competition1, and deliver top performance for high definition video2.

What’s more, the X1300 has received ATI’s stamp of approval for Microsoft’s upcoming Windows Vista™ operating system3, enabling your machine to summon some serious graphical glitz without affecting system performance.

That's at http://ati.amd.com/products/RadeonX1300/index.html .

I know as well as you do that the X1300 isn't really a gaming card as we think of a gaming card.

So I'll meet you in the middle and agree that product descriptions can be misleading. But that is the case with every product on the market, cars, vacuums, candy everything. I don't like it any more than you do. While no one says anything that isn't technically true, that doesn't mean you will get the experience you want.

I can tell you that we are working on a project to make things a little more realistic. We're running some games on various different platforms and using fraps to record the video. We will then post that video so you can see with your own eyes how the games perform on different cards.

Let me tell you, this is tricky. It is very easy to reduce the resolution to the point that you can't really tell the game runs like crap or that the in-game settings are st00pid. So we are being careful to make sure the videos themselves aren't misleading.

The idea behind doing this is to help make sure people get the right card for what they are trying to do. If someone buys an 8500 of any flavor and then tries to play Crysis, I don't care who made the card- they aren't going to be happy. The common reaction to that is going to be that Palit sucks and we don't want that. Remember, the person that buys an 8500 to play Crysis is not likely going to be someone who knows very much about video cards.

So there are two ideas behind posting performance videos. One is to make sure that people get the card the need to do what they want to do. Two is to make sure they aren't disappointed in their purchase and go nuts on the forums.

Yes, there is the added benefit that when they see the 8500 may not do what they want so they buy a more expensive card. What can I say, we are a business. But the real point is not JUST to sell better cards. It really is to help people get the cards they need in order to do what they want them to do.

It's very similar to researching what card you will buy in forums first. People talk about their good and bad experiences and then you make the best decision you can from there. None of those people were trying to sell you a card one way or another, they're just giving you some information. We're trying to do the same thing.

Storage Samsung Evo 960
Display(s) Pixio PX275h
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G 15
So we definitely agree on this point. Every company I'm aware of describes all of their products in the best light possible. Here's a quote from ATI on their X1300:

That's at http://ati.amd.com/products/RadeonX1300/index.html .

I know as well as you do that the X1300 isn't really a gaming card as we think of a gaming card.

So I'll meet you in the middle and agree that product descriptions can be misleading. But that is the case with every product on the market, cars, vacuums, candy everything. I don't like it any more than you do. While no one says anything that isn't technically true, that doesn't mean you will get the experience you want.

I can tell you that we are working on a project to make things a little more realistic. We're running some games on various different platforms and using fraps to record the video. We will then post that video so you can see with your own eyes how the games perform on different cards.

Let me tell you, this is tricky. It is very easy to reduce the resolution to the point that you can't really tell the game runs like crap or that the in-game settings are st00pid. So we are being careful to make sure the videos themselves aren't misleading.

The idea behind doing this is to help make sure people get the right card for what they are trying to do. If someone buys an 8500 of any flavor and then tries to play Crysis, I don't care who made the card- they aren't going to be happy. The common reaction to that is going to be that Palit sucks and we don't want that. Remember, the person that buys an 8500 to play Crysis is not likely going to be someone who knows very much about video cards.

So there are two ideas behind posting performance videos. One is to make sure that people get the card the need to do what they want to do. Two is to make sure they aren't disappointed in their purchase and go nuts on the forums.

Yes, there is the added benefit that when they see the 8500 may not do what they want so they buy a more expensive card. What can I say, we are a business. But the real point is not JUST to sell better cards. It really is to help people get the cards they need in order to do what they want them to do.

It's very similar to researching what card you will buy in forums first. People talk about their good and bad experiences and then you make the best decision you can from there. None of those people were trying to sell you a card one way or another, they're just giving you some information. We're trying to do the same thing.

Well, I have to say, you are a really good salesman. I see what you are getting at.

Now, it would be cool if Palit posted a list of games on the product page. A list of games that run pretty good on the 8500GT card. Just to name a few popular games that run pretty well on the card "World of Warcraft", "The Sims 2", "Halfe Life 2 Episodes", "Counter Strike Source", "Team Fortress 2", etc...

It would be eaven better if Palit was honest enough ( this would be very unique among GPU companies ) if Palit also posted al list with games that will not run well with this card. Crysis, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander.

A good way to do all this is without giving certain products a bad reputation, post one big list with games on the Palet website. Then the visitor clicks on the game and then it could say "Palit recommends these products for that game. Click here for more info about this product".

Palit hurts his reputation in my country. These are the messages people posted on Dutch websites ( translated by google ) when they first heard about the 8500GT 1GB:

fff marketing
Here you have nothing, even 512 is still too much for such cards

Probably even 256 mb already on the very high side on a 8500GT.

Really something totally useless, the same as a 500 MHz processor with 64 MB Cache, you do not have any turd ...

I can not wait for all responses from some people: "Whaha my l33t h4x0r 8500 pwnt your 8800GTX because mine has 1GB!"

A budget card where you can barely gaming with 1gb memory well pure marketing nothing more nothing less

Also funny what they say on their own website

Redefine your gaming reality with NVIDIA® DirectX® 10 GeForce® 8500 graphics processing units (GPUs). Redefine your reality gaming with NVIDIA GeForce ® DirectX ® 10 ® 8500 graphics processing units (GPUs). GeForce® 8500GT Super+1GB equipped with avant-garde 1024MB super memory size which allows the users to escape from memory capacity bottlenecks. ® GeForce 8500GT Super +1 GB equipped with avant-garde super 1024MB memory size which allows the users to escape from memory capacity bottlenecks.

No interest ...

for a real game-n00b

Pure commerce, only idiots buy this stuff.

As you can see, you might think that it's good publicity. But I have actually seen news-posts that say "Don't get fooled by Palit" and stuff like that...

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
To be honest there is no real good solution for any of this. I don't have a problem saying we don't recommend this card for xxx game. That's not a bad idea and I think we'll do that.

Sometimes, though, it doesn't matter what you do or what you say, people are going to flame you.

Marketing is a really tricky business. You want to portray your products in the best light possible. Does that mean you have to rub up against the edge of the table of what's realistic for a card? Regrettably, yes. We have to because everyone else has to.

I know, I know, that's a lame excuse. But if we don't do that then people look at our site and then look at someone else's site and think their cards do something that ours do not when that isn't the case.

So it's very difficult to keep things realistic and accurate at the same time you make them exciting and interesting. Put yourself in my position and think about how you would market the 8500GT. It's not easy. However, of the more routine versions, we sell TONS of them. Personally, I have no use for one at all. I play QW:ET so why would I need one.

But then I see everyone else (manufacturers that is) going on about their cards and I'm put in a bad position. Because of the wide variety of uses for these cards there is no single message you can send about them. You have to cover all your bases, you have to be excited and you have to look good.

On top of that, there are an amazing number of people that actually play games on these lower performing cards. They turn off all the eye candy, res down to 640x480 or 800x600 and just live with 15-25 FPS. I see it at LAN parties all the time. So it CAN be done, just not to the enthusiast's standards.

I hope you take away from this that at least Palit is trying. Believe it or not, I keep a log of all the forums I post in and report them back up the food chain. This will certainly be one those.

So I posted in a forum. So what. The fact that I stayed after you called me out should tell you that I'm not in here just to flash the Palit name around. I want to know what people are thinking and do one of two things, help them understand stuff better if they aren't quite on target and make changes at Palit when we're not quite on target. It's a two way street.

The video idea didn't come out of this thread but it did come out of a forum thread. It's been a while so I don't remember which one. But I didn't invent that idea, it was suggested from the community.

So I not only appreciate your feedback, I use it to drive change. Things don't happen overnight for sure but change will happen.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung Evo 960
Display(s) Pixio PX275h
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G 15
how you would market the 8500GT.

1. The Palit card has a better cooler:
1.a: Place "Stock vs Palit" Temperature graphs on product page
1.b: Place "Stock vs Palit" Noice voume graphs on product page
2. Mention that the card is ideal for people who work with CAD or other software that requires a lot of memory
3. Mention that the card runs Source Engine games ( very popular these days ) and World of Warcraft ( very, very popular these days ) just fine + some screenshots

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
Good ideas. I've already sent the question about the legality of using the names of games on the site.

The videos I was going to sneak onto youtube. Using images or videos of the game is actually illegal unless you pay the developer so we have to figure something out there. They don't usually go after individuals because of the bad press but it easy to find Palit.

More detailed info about noise and temperature is in the works.

Storage Samsung Evo 960
Display(s) Pixio PX275h
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G 15
Good ideas. I've already sent the question about the legality of using the names of games on the site.

The videos I was going to sneak onto youtube. Using images or videos of the game is actually illegal unless you pay the developer so we have to figure something out there. They don't usually go after individuals because of the bad press but it easy to find Palit.

More detailed info about noise and temperature is in the works.

You have to pay the developper for free advertisements? I had no idea that a simple screenshot required permission from the developpers.

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
the content of the games is copyrighted. The name is too but it's ok to use the name as long as you include the copyright symbol.

Give me a couple minutes. We're changing the 8500 1GB product page on our website right now. I'm using your suggestion with a little marketing flair.

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative