• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A good simple USB flash drive password tool?

M

MiST91

Hi, i recently bought a new 8gb USB flsh drive as my old one decided to die on me. Anywayz with my old 1GB flash disk it came with a disk with a small encryption utility, but i have lost the disk :banghead:, and i have honestly tried most of these flash drive encryption/password apps and not one comes close.

What i am looking for is either the same utility i used before or one very simalar.

Why the utility that came with my old flash drive was good is because as soon as you put Flash Disk in it auto runned and had 3 buttons "OK" "Cancel" "Change Password" and thats all i want, it was also good because it created some kind of "security partition?" wich was 512kb untill you enter password, then this dissapeared and got the full 1GBish with my files, and even if you do a full format, it will not delete any files on either partition.

So does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Thanks in Advance :toast: :respect:

ps. The software came with an OEM silver and black "SAMSUNG memory" flash drive and i honestly can't remember the name of it.
and my new flash drive is a Freecom Databar 8GB

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name spuds K8-X2
Processor amd athlon X2 4200+ toledo s939 2794mhz 254x11 1.4 vcore
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo4-F v1.0 (MS-7125) nforce4 sata2 mod, laptop cpu heatpipe copper nb cooler
Cooling akasa evo "blue" + 90mm fan, 2x120mm front, 250mm side, 120mm rear, 120mm in psu, pci slot exhaust.
Memory OCZ Platinum XTC DDR PC3200 4GB(4x1024) @254mhz 3-3-3-8 2T
Video Card(s) sapphire HD3870 512mb GDDR4 vf900cu, several ramsinks on components / nvidia 7300gt 256mb secondary
Storage hitachi 160gb (slightly fried) / hitachi 120gb ATA / Seagate 160gb / 2x ps3 seagate 60gb
Display(s) CTX EX1300F 20" flat CRT, 1280x1024@100hz / 19" benq FP91G X / 19" hanns-g (all free)
Case mesh server/gaming black case, 9x 5.25' drive bays, silvestone auto fan controller
Audio Device(s) onboard realtek alc850 7.1/soundblaster LIVE! ct4780 + kxaudio - sony home theatre surround
Power Supply winpower 650w, system draws around 470-500w under load(+all screens)
Software win7 64bit
Benchmark Scores ~16m trips/sec using mty trip generator. triple monitor gaming using SoftTH. 3840x1024
is it any of the ones here?

M

MiST91

no, lol, i'v already tried most of them and there more aimed at "folder encripting" i'm looking for drive encrypting, i have just spent around an hour looking for usb drive encrypting and found basicly nothing, yet i don't know why, all i want it to do is when i go to open the flash drive it will pop up asking for a password and until i enter the password, it wont do anything, and not over priced, bloated, crappy, pointless, (my computer, right click, format and thats your £50 256bit security gone lol)

Ehstii

System Name Betty
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz @ 3.16(weak i know, waiting on better HSF)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 690G HDMI
Cooling Standard heatsink
Memory A-DATA 2GB(2x1GB dual channel) DDR2 800
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB
Storage 2x250GB Seagate SataII, 2x250GB Maxtor SataII, 1x120GB Maxtor SataII
Display(s) 22" Widescreen Acer LCD Flat Panel Monitor
Case AMS CF-6129BKS Black w/Silver bezel Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply Rosewill RP550-2-S ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply
Software Windows XP SP2, Adobe Master Collection CS3, WoW, COD4, Cubase LE, Office 2007, Bit Comet, & more...
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 4710
ive got a drive encrypting program, but its an external program. you must have the program installed on the PC that you want to access the drive from.

M

MiST91

i'm not really interested in them, mainly because i use my flash drive at friends houses and collage, so would be a real mess about having to install software on every compuer you use (with the flash drive).

i'm sure there must be fully portable flash disk security software other that the one i forgot the name of i got form some tacky/seedy chineese company (btw, the software isn't even on any of the asian/chineese company websites)

M

MiST91

TrueCrypt is alright, but, still isn't as good as the one that come with my old 1GB flash drive, the biggest problem with TrueCrypt is, i must be setting it up wrong, because no matter what security measures i put on the flash drive, all i have to do in vista is My Computer, Format and that will completly wipe the drive lol (amaizing security :rolleyes:).

The only reason i want full drive encryption, and not be able to use drive at all unless you enter password is, if the flash drive gets stolen, it will be as much use as a chocolate kettle unless they gt a password or somebody with basic hacking skills, over an £18 flash drive, :wtf:.

ps. the software i want *basicly same as what i used to have is called "USB DISK Pro 2" but i can't find a download link anywear :toast:

ktr

the biggest problem with TrueCrypt is, i must be setting it up wrong, because no matter what security measures i put on the flash drive, all i have to do in vista is My Computer, Format and that will completly wipe the drive lol (amaizing security :rolleyes:).

But...

Format the drive = data gone.

Last edited:
Processor Intel C2D E8500 @ 4.25GHz (1.36V)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
Cooling (Temporary) Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 2GB Transcend aXeram 1200+
Video Card(s) HIS HD3870 CF Volt modded
Storage 3 Seagate 320Gb Barracuda in an Intel Matrix Raid array
Display(s) Sony GDM-FW900 24" Widescreen CRT (a.k.a "The Shiznotch")
Case Ultra Aluminus Full Tower
Audio Device(s) onboard Intel HD audio
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750
Software XP MCE + Vista (HP) dual-boot
He means, if someone picks this up, he doesn't even want them to be able to use the drive for themselves. He wants it to be useless without the pass.

C'mon, lighten up. Not very "in the spirit" of the herb you fly for your avi....
Just password protect the files and let it go.

ktr

He means, if someone picks this up, he doesn't even want them to be able to use the drive for themselves. He wants it to be useless without the pass.

C'mon, lighten up. Not very "in the spirit" of the herb you fly for your avi....
Just password protect the files and let it go.

Well that impossible with a software encryption. The only way to do this is with a hardware encryption.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
hardware encryption is the only way, i bet you even with your old one i could format it :p

download the firmware into your computer and modify it so it needs a password.

M

MiST91

oh well, :cry:, looks like what i'm after doesn't exist, except with crappy chineese OEM flash drives :wtf:.

All i can say is if your wanting to make lots of money, then make some kind of flash drive hardware encryption tool lol.

ktr

oh well, :cry:, looks like what i'm after doesn't exist, except with crappy chineese OEM flash drives :wtf:.

All i can say is if your wanting to make lots of money, then make some kind of flash drive hardware encryption tool lol.

Hardware based flash drives do exist, and they dont cost that much more than their non-encrypted ones (depends how far encryption you want to get)...

http://www.corsair.com/products/padlock.aspx <---uses a physical passcode on the thumb drive itself

http://www.transcendusa.com/products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=169 <---use an actually biometric finger reader.

Last edited: