• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X1900XTX freeze/boot while gaming/movie??

bandook916

System Name Intel
Processor Pentium D 915 @ 3.5
Motherboard Asus P5NE-SLI
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Display(s) LCD Envision 22" WS 5ms
Power Supply XCilio GoodPower 500 watts
ATI X1900XTX freezes/boot while gaming/movies?

I get that message after playing a game/movie for about 5 minutes at the most. If its a game it will freeze it for a second give me that message and change my screen resolution to whatever my game resolution was at. then i can keep playing with game with no errors after...

But while playing Movies it gives me the message and sometimes reboots my PC on its own. The times it doesnt boot my PC it says no signal on my PC for couple of seconds then give me that message.. the fan speed increase dramatically and it gets loud right when this happens and then it goes back down when the message pops up..

I tried flashing it to different bios and have tried different drivers but still no luck. It supposely be a X1900XTX, but just in case I even flashed it to a XT version and still dont work. Does anyone know *** is going on??

Temps are fine, I watch them while playing games/movies and they dont go over 57 celcius. However... my CPU temps are kinda high (in 50's) can that be causing a problem like this?

ATI experts please help me out here as I beent rying to solve this since last 3 days. Thanks in ddvance.

Namslas90

If it's overclocked, drop it back down to stock and see what happens. Normally I get that when the fan cooler is clogged and it overheats. There is still a chance its a heat problem, have you ever redone the Thermal Paste?

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Start by filling out the system specs in the user CP so that we can better assist you. I would say that the power supply is goign out.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
I dropped the clocks from 650/800 to 500/700 no luck at all...

I havent done the paste though, I will try that next anyways.

YOu thinking getting a aftermarket coolder will fix the problem?

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Ok. I will fill in the specs.

THe Powersupply is fine I think. I was running 2x 7800 GT's in SLI on the same PSU before I got this card.

Namslas90

I dropped the clocks from 650/800 to 500/700 no luck at all...

I havent done the paste though, I will try that next anyways.

YOu thinking getting a aftermarket coolder will fix the problem?

I'm still running on stock cooler with exceptional airflow in the case, aftermarket coolers are great. Change the ATI Tool to monitor temps every sec instead of 10 seconds.
You temps are probably spiking at the last moment before VPU recover kicks in and its not getting logged due to shutdown.
You may be suprised at the ammount of dust and debrise inside that cooler. Don't take it apart unless you have thermal paste on hand, your gonna need to replace it.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
I'm still running on stock cooler with exceptional airflow in the case, aftermarket coolers are great. Change the ATI Tool to monitor temps every sec instead of 10 seconds.
You are probably spiking at the last mement before VPU recover kicks in and its not getting logged due to shutdown.
You may be suprised at the ammount of dust and debrise inside that cooler. Don't take it apart unless you have thermal paste on hand, your gonna need to replace it.

I have the Arctic Silver 5 (one used for cpu's) that sould work fine right?

And I'm using GPU-Z to monitor temp... It refreshes pretty fast, I think its at 1sec refresh too.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
The x1900XTX is an incredibly hot card. I think taking the card out and taking the cooler off, cleaning the thermal paste that was on it (the card and the cooler, clean both), clean the dust out of the cooler (can of air works well), and apply some good thermal paste to it should cure you. AS5 is conductive, so if you aren't confident in your abilities, you can use AS Ceramique or Arctic Cooling MX-1 (or 2).

Your CPU temp shouldn't cause a VPU recover. If you mean 50c IDLE on the cpu, that is a problem in it's own right, re-seat the cooler and re-apply thermal paste (again cleaning the old stuff).

Namslas90

I have the Arctic Silver 5 (one used for cpu's) that sould work fine right?

And I'm using GPU-Z to monitor temp... It refreshes pretty fast, I think its at 1sec refresh too.

Apply paste and attatch cooler, then remove it to ensure you don't have too much paste or too little. It's realy the only way to check it. Clean up excess with Q-tip and alcohol.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Please use your other post for this topic. Thank you. I merged them together for you!:)

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Please use your other post for this topic. Thank you. I merged them together for you!:)

So do I use this one or the other one? i get your message in both :confused:

__
Okay, I took of the fan/heatsink applied some paste, i see now temps decreased by a couple celcius but I still have the same problem..

Namslas90

So do I use this one or the other one? i get your message in both :confused:

__
Okay, I took of the fan/heatsink applied some paste, i see now temps decreased by a couple celcius but I still have the same problem..

Goto Add/Remove Programs and remove both the ATI drivers and the ATI "Unistaller Tool" program. Defrag HDD and then reboot. Then install new drivers from ATI- online.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Goto Add/Remove Programs and remove both the ATI drivers and the ATI "Unistaller Tool" program. Defrag HDD and then reboot. Then install new drivers from ATI- online.

I reinstalled drivers a lot of times now, but havent done defrag disk yet... will try it now and post results when i'm done, thanks for helping.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Be sure to remove the "ATI Unistaler Tool".

YEs thats what i been using to uninstall all the ATI drivers etc.

Just uninstalled all the drivers again and defragmenting now.. seems like gonna take a while... even thoug only 20 gig used..

Namslas90

Slow down - Read carefully.

YEs thats what i been using to uninstall all the ATI drivers etc.

I didn't mean to "use" it to unistall, I ment to use ADD/REMOVE and REMOVE it also.

Just uninstalled all the drivers again and defragmenting now.. seems like gonna take a while... even thoug only 20 gig used

Also you should have Defragmented after driver removal and before install of new drivers. ATi drivers leave "reference points" behind on the HDD after removal. It is necessary to remove these reference points before installing new drivers to avoid coruption.

Hope it works this time, ATI drivers get realy corrupted when overwritten and not removed and cleaned out properly.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Slow down - Read carefully.

I didn't mean to "use" it to unistall, I ment to use ADD/REMOVE and REMOVE it also.

Also you should have Defragmented after driver removal and before install of new drivers. ATi drivers leave "reference points" behind on the HDD after removal. It is necessary to remove these reference points before installing new drivers to avoid coruption.

Hope it works this time, ATI drivers get realy corrupted when overwritten and not removed and cleaned out properly.

EDIT: Defragmenting is going on as well right now. My har drive is screaming LOUDLY. i need a new drive

Ok. I removed the ATI uninstall utility and everything else related to ATI. But just to be on safe side I will use Driver Cleaner Pro and delete anything relating to ATI that I see on it. Then restart and then install new drivers.

Namslas90

Ok. I removed the ATI uninstall utility and everything else related to ATI. But just to be on safe side I will use Driver Cleaner Pro and delete anything relating to ATI that I see on it. Then restart and then install new drivers.

Sounds better, before INstalling new drivers - ONLY Defrag will remove the reference points.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Sounds better, before INstalling new drivers - ONLY Defrag will remove the reference points.

Alright I got you. Appreciate the help and quick reply's. I just hope we get this fixed... been 3 days since I been working on this. good thing friend told me about the forums.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I say your psu might be going bad

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Ok. Deleted ALL drivers...Defragmented disk drive...Used Driver Cleaper Pro to remove the files still remainning...Reinstalled drivers...and still same problem...

I'm kinda falling toward the PSU issue now... even though I was running 2x 7800 gt's on it 2 weeks ago...

EDIT:

Any more suggestions/ideas on this???

I have another PSU, its not a branded PSU but iits not bad at all, Is there a way I can hook that up so that it ONLY gives power to GPU (video card)? and use my original PSU for everything else?

Last edited:

Namslas90

Ok. Deleted ALL drivers...Defragmented disk drive...Used Driver Cleaper Pro to remove the files still remainning...Reinstalled drivers...and still same problem...

I'm kinda falling toward the PSU issue now... even though I was running 2x 7800 gt's on it 2 weeks ago...

Drop your reslolution and lower refresh rate. Turn off AA, AAF and try it again.

A 500watt PSU shoud be enough power, but if its old could be going bad.

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor
Drop your reslolution and lower refresh rate. Turn off AA, AAF and try it again.

Trying it now...

bandook916

System Name Intel
Memory Corsair 2X1GB 667
Storage 320GB Maxtor

Didnt help... same damn problem... Temps are well under control too...

mannn i'm close to giving up on damn ati...

anymore ideas/suggestions??

Namslas90

Didnt help... same damn problem... Temps are well under control too...

mannn i'm close to giving up on damn ati...

anymore ideas/suggestions??

It could be a Bad BIOS flash, but normally when this happens the card doesn't even run.

It could be the card is dying.

It could be your PSU. Even though it powered the card before you were probably maxing it out. Now it has aged enough and can no longer support the card.

You power supply is probably on its last leg.

I could not even boot my X1900XTX with a Neo550. Had to get a 650 watt Enermax to boot
my PC with that card.

The only other choice other than this would be the drivers again. It is possable. ATI drivers are very picky and easy to corrupt. I would say try the drivers one more time.

Remove old drivers and "unistaller tool" with Add/Remove programs
Run a windows "Search:" for ATI and delete all drivers found.
Defragment HDD
Reboot PC
Install new drivers from ATI site.
Reboot and try again.

If doing this Step by step as described does not solve it either the card is dying or the PSU is on its way out.