• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does company matter?

lakeoffire800

System Name HP Pavilion s7600e
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
Motherboard ASUSTek Computer INC. Pyrite 1.02
Memory 1024 MB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
Display(s) HP vs17 flat panel monitor
Is there a big difference between companies when they are making the same types of cards?

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Not really. Everyone has their own personal experiences with certain brands and will tell you that one brand is better than the other. Really, it comes down to personal preference, and more importantly, the product. Video cards and mbs can vary from brand to brand, so you just gotta do some research and see which one offers the most stuff you want. A nice warrenty and good customer support are always a plus too. But individual experiences with things such as customer support will vary, and people like to vent, so take everything you hear about such things with a grain of salt.

Not really. Everyone has their own personal experiences with certain brands and will tell you that one brand is better than the other. Really, it comes down to personal preference, and more importantly, the product. Video cards and mbs can vary from brand to brand, so you just gotta do some research and see which one offers the most stuff you want. A nice warrenty and good customer support are always a plus too. But individual experiences with things such as customer support will vary, and people like to vent, so take everything you hear about such things with a grain of salt.

I'd take your statement as a grain of salt as you are misinformed.

Basically take it this way, some companies offer better warranty/tech support, and generally those products are more on the expensive side. Especially in Nvidia's case its this. However some manufacturers differentiate from the reference design, and that makes them DIFFERENT.

Generally, manufacturers like Gigabyte, PALIT, etcetera prefer to redesign popular selling designs, in better forms, usually coming with better cooling and a better power phase.

Example, Gigabyte 8800GT Turbo Force vs normal 8800GT. Normal fries, turbo force doesnt, normal one has two phase, turbo force has a cooling running three phase, normal has a long PCB, turbo force has a shorter PCB.

These are just some of the benefits of non reference design GPUs.. IMHO reference designs generally are flawed by the chip maker's logic that if it aint broke dont fix it.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!

Basically take it this way, some companies offer better warranty/tech support, and generally those products are more on the expensive side. Especially in Nvidia's case its this. However some manufacturers differentiate from the reference design, and that makes them DIFFERENT.

Generally, manufacturers like Gigabyte, PALIT, etcetera prefer to redesign popular selling designs, in better forms, usually coming with better cooling and a better power phase.

Example, Gigabyte 8800GT Turbo Force vs normal 8800GT. Normal fries, turbo force doesnt, normal one has two phase, turbo force has a cooling running three phase, normal has a long PCB, turbo force has a shorter PCB.

These are just some of the benefits of non reference design GPUs.. IMHO reference designs generally are flawed by the chip maker's logic that if it aint broke dont fix it.

Those are the differences I was referring to in the aforementioned post. Different companies do have different designs, however which one is better often comes down to personal preference. I know that you like your phase three coolers, and I agree they have their advantages, however some prefer rear exhaust. That is not really the point of the thread though. I was simply stating that many people are biased towards particular brands for their own reasons, but really it comes down to personal preference.

To me, warranty and support are most important. To some, a different cooler may be. Really, the product is what matters.;)

System Name GAMING BEAST
Processor i7 920
Motherboard EVGA X58 SLi
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P 120mm
Memory 6gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6850
Storage 2x640gb WD AALS Matrix RAID 0/RAID 5 (180mb/s, 7.2ms Access)
Display(s) Acer X233Hbd 23" Monitor (1920x1080)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair TX-750
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 (9600gt): 12,567 3DMark06 (HD4870): 16,587 3DMarkVantage: P4740
Also remember some companies, actually a lot of companies will overclock the gpu's as well. Some companies will provide upgraded cooling with that or instead of that. Some companies will provide a graphics card the consumer will overclock once it is in the system and some will provide a preoverclocked card that they assume the average consumer will not overclock more. Really, there is a huge variety of reasons for chosing different cards. Personally, I've always been fond of buying the original and cooling and overclocking myself. However, these days there are 10-15 different varieties of each graphics card, or more, each with their advantages. I guess it all boils down to you just have to research each card individually, and see what company seems to be providing the best bang for the buck. :twitch:

Processor AMD 5000+ Black Edition
Motherboard Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
Cooling ZEROtherm BTF90
Memory 2x 1GB OCZ Platinum Revision 2 DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
Storage Seagate Barracuda 320GB
Display(s) Acer 20" LCD
Case Antec Sonata III
Audio Device(s) Razer Barracuda AC 1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 500w
Avoid companies like Leadtek, who has horrible customer support and RMA department. just do a quick google on leadtek customer service. on the ATI side of things, Apollo is pretty crappy.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Also remember some companies, actually a lot of companies will overclock the gpu's as well. Some companies will provide upgraded cooling with that or instead of that. Some companies will provide a graphics card the consumer will overclock once it is in the system and some will provide a preoverclocked card that they assume the average consumer will not overclock more. Really, there is a huge variety of reasons for chosing different cards. Personally, I've always been fond of buying the original and cooling and overclocking myself. However, these days there are 10-15 different varieties of each graphics card, or more, each with their advantages. I guess it all boils down to you just have to research each card individually, and see what company seems to be providing the best bang for the buck. :twitch:

although, with regards to doing the cooling and OCing oneself - many of the "top tier" brands offer great cooling to begin with, and better OCing capabilites over mid tier cards. take, for example, the 1950 PRO lineup; Sapphire and HIS cards are known to be much better OCers than the ATI, VisionTek and Diamond models - even though everyone is using the same GPU, PCB components play a heavy role in what a specific card is capable of . . . but, not to say that the mid-range cards suffer from crap cooling, either - with the 1950 PROs, again, the mid-range cards (specifically ATI, VisionTek, Diamond Media) use full copper fan coolers on one side of the card, and a heatspeader over the back of the card. No other models, as far as I know, use a heat spreader.

System Name Main / Home Media Serever
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.75ghz / AMD AM3 5200+ x2
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance / Biostar 790GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight / XIGMATEK Apache
Memory 12gb of G.Skill Value Series DDR3 / 4x 1gb DDR2
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6870 1gb / Asus Radeon 5450 512mb
Storage 2x Samsung 830 64gb SSD Raid 0 & 750gb WD Blue HDD / OCZ Vertex II 80GB & 10TB of HDD Space
Display(s) 2x Acer 24" LED / Samsung 50" LED
Case Xigmatek Asgard II / APEX PC-389-C
Power Supply Rosewill 750w / Antec EArthwatts 380w
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 14.04
Avoid companies like Leadtek, who has horrible customer support and RMA department. just do a quick google on leadtek customer service. on the ATI side of things, Apollo is pretty crappy.

+1 to stay away from leadtek. I had to send my 8600gt into to them for repair/replace and I just have a feeling Im not even going to hear from them for a while. At least I got a steal on a VisionTek 3850 from ebay. I can't wait to it comes in the mail :D.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss

lol tk, you just cant get enough of that gigabyte 8800 can you ? :laugh:

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
That's because he hasn't had a Palit card yet- lawls.

Being from Palit I would say that, unless it's a reference design, there is a significant difference between what companies produce. I also don't think there is anything wrong with supporting companies because they do the right things when it comes to gaming and enthusiast communities as long as you're still getting the product you want.

For instance, the Palit 9600GT Sonic has dual dual-link DVI ports, HDMI, Optical AND DisplayPort all on the same bracket. No other card in the world does that now so I would count that as a significant difference.

Some people say you can't listen to me cause I work there and others say you can listen to me because I work there. I suggest you do both and check around, read some reviews and do your homework.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far

Being from Palit I would say that, unless it's a reference design, there is a significant difference between what companies produce. I also don't think there is anything wrong with supporting companies because they do the right things when it comes to gaming and enthusiast communities as long as you're still getting the product you want.

For instance, the Palit 9600GT Sonic has dual dual-link DVI ports, HDMI, Optical AND DisplayPort all on the same bracket. No other card in the world does that now so I would count that as a significant difference.

Some people say you can't listen to me cause I work there and others say you can listen to me because I work there. I suggest you do both and check around, read some reviews and do your homework.

Are you the same guy thats on PDXLAN also?

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
I wasent there that time, but PDXs are pretty good times. I am markkleb there but switching over to MKmods, time to stop goofing off and get serious.

Its great to have you here as well, you are a very good rep for Palit.

LOL, back to the topic:
Ive been a fan of XFX (loved the black PCBs) but after the great review of the 9600GT at [H] and reading through ur posts may jump ship.

Palit_Guy

Palit Representative
Ahhhhh, I remember you. Didn't I meet you at PDXLAN 9? Either way, I know I've seen your posts in their forums.

Thanks, BTW.

Gam'ster

System Name Toshiba L350
Processor AMD QL-65
Motherboard Toshiba 780G/SB700
Cooling Laptop
Memory 3GB
Video Card(s) ATI HD3000
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 17" Widescreen
Case Black/Carbon effect
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Brick
Software WIN7

I can +1 for palit cards my 7900gs is a palit, been rock steady OC's ok too, as tkpenalty said re-designed pcb and aftermarket coolers on the palits, gigabytes and others mean a solid product that will/should last the duration you have it.
My 2 pennys.

Cheers
Gam