• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual Gigabit Lan

alracer

Hi!
I just purchased a new Asus Maximus Formula and has a Dual Gigabit Lan on it. (This is my first rig that I am mounting).
My question= Do I really need a router to use the other computer, for the kids, like internet surfing or play games in Lan? I read somewhere that I could use my Asus with dual...as a router and feed the other one.

If yes, do I need a crossover cable or just a straight one?
I downloaded the manual of my motherboard(that I am going to have friday) but nothing is said on that.:ohwell:

Thanks for any help!:eek:

System Name :3
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275
Storage WD black 500gb Samsung 1tb
Display(s) 27" 1366x768 Olevia 527v
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
you can, but honestly, if you get an openWRT compatible router, and then install openWRT + X-Wrt on it, you will get alot of really awesome features things that *really* help

that having been said, yeah man, you can use windowsXP "internet connection shareing" guessing you have winxp?

nice motherboard btw

Last edited:

alracer

you can, but honestly, if you get an openWRT compatible router, and then install openWRT + X-Wrt on it, you will get alot of really awesome features things that *really* help

that having been said, yeah man, you can use windowsXP "internet connection shareing" guessing you have winxp?

nice motherboard btw

Thanks for the reply and for the mobo compliment:toast:
Yes, I have XP.
I don't know anything on network and router and english is not my first language:eek:
What do you mean by WRT and X-WRT? Is it wired router and crossover wire?
What do you mean by "awesome features"? What are they?

BTW, I bought this -Maximus Formula with the CPU E2160 to overclock to 3GHZ and be
ready to upgrade in a near future
-Palit HD3870
-Seagate 250Ghz 16M cache U150 SATA2
-PSU OCZ 700watt Game XStream SLI
-Case Antec Nine-Hundred
-Patriot DDR2 6400 2x1GB
My choices are coming from all the research I did on the web and especially here on the forum. So I want to thank all of you here for the sharing of knowledge:respect:Very appreciate:toast:
Merci beaucoup;)
Coming from an Athlon64 3400+ with a cheap ECS board and ATI X850Pro upgrade to platinum (credit to Techpowerup that helped me:rockout:)

System Name :3
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275
Storage WD black 500gb Samsung 1tb
Display(s) 27" 1366x768 Olevia 527v
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
openWRT is an OS for some routers, its a really great little linux distrobution

X-Wrt is a web interface for openWRT that in my opinion is really easy to figure out, and good.

as for features, openWRT has far too many packages to list or even begin to, but your looking at everything from IRC tools, to p2p tools [torrent, etc] anything you could possibly ever need internet related practicly, if thats not your thing, then its an option for someday if you ever need anything plus, openWRT has never crashed on me, not 1 single time. never slow down, never needed a reboot from being improperly coded, nothing ever, not with 1 heavy network user, not with 50 users [literly.]

btw, my router is a linksys WRT54G v2.0

running openWRT white russian 0.9, and the latest daily build of x-wrt :)

Last edited:

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
Yes you can run a cable from your modem to your computer than a crossover from your computer to the other computer. You will need to bridge the two connections and it should work then. However modems are always nice in case you get a laptop, or someone comes over and needs to get on the web, or you get another computer etc etc

=ICUS=GotMilk

System Name Home PC.
Processor Intel E8400
Motherboard MAXIMUS FORMULA X38
Cooling ZALMAN 95
Memory 4GB Kingston X
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 512MB
Storage 2 150 RAPTORS
Display(s) 22"inch Acer
Case Smilodon
Audio Device(s) SUPREME XFII
Power Supply 700 SLI
Software XP 32-BIT
Yes you can run a cable from your modem to your computer than a crossover from your computer to the other computer. You will need to bridge the two connections and it should work then. However modems are always nice in case you get a laptop, or someone comes over and needs to get on the web, or you get another computer etc etc

Hi I also have the same motherboard and similar question !!
can I connect a wireless router to the second LAN port instead of another PC. So that I could connect other PC's and gaming counsels " SOMETHING LIKE THE PICTURE BELOW "

Attachments

• ROUTER.JPG
    ROUTER.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 630

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
Hi I also have the same motherboard and similar question !!
can I connect a wireless router to the second LAN port instead of another PC. So that I could connect other PC's and gaming counsels " SOMETHING LIKE THE PICTURE BELOW "

Idk, probably but don't take my word for it. I would recommend connecting the internet to the router than connecting all of them to the router.

alracer

Thank you everybody for your answers!
In my opinion, yes you can put your router after your first computer and route to the second one. I say yes, cause now, I run directly from the modem IN my computer and go out from my second LAN and go to my second computer, WITH a regular RJ45 cable and NOT crossover!:nutkick:And the nice thing too is that there is a little program with Asus Maximus Formula (AI Link) that give you the possibility to exchange files from and to the computer of your choice at the speed of 1000MB if you have the cable CAT6 and another Gigabyte Lan on you other computer. You will have to make the update on that little program cause the first time, I was loosing my IP adresses and had to reset my modem every time. After the update, no problem.
This Maximus Formula is the best MOBO that I had and look so nice, especially with my Antec Nine Hundred with the blue neon:pimp:

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Just FYI, you need to use a crossover cable anytime you connect similar devices. PC to PC, switch to switch, etc. If they're virtually the same, then you need a crossover.

alracer

Just FYI, you need to use a crossover cable anytime you connect similar devices. PC to PC, switch to switch, etc. If they're virtually the same, then you need a crossover.

Yes I know but, If you read my post carefully, I am talking about the little soft AI Link that do the job to exchange files. Internet works and If I want to play in Lan with my son, no prob, but I am the one that have to host the other compu cannot.
There is a virtual Lan soft that come with it too but, again no explanation how it works. Anyway, I don't know much about those things but It works here like I need;)

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
According to the first post you made, there was some question as to what kind of cable was needed. I was answering that question, and was trying to do it in a way to make it easy to remember. I just missed the post before mine, that's all ;)

The idea behind the crossover cable is that the transmit and receive wires are flipped from one end to the other. Normally, the switch (or hub, router, etc.) does the flip for you. Since there isn't a device between the two PC's, a crossover cable was needed.

=ICUS=GotMilk

System Name Home PC.
Processor Intel E8400
Motherboard MAXIMUS FORMULA X38
Cooling ZALMAN 95
Memory 4GB Kingston X
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 512MB
Storage 2 150 RAPTORS
Display(s) 22"inch Acer
Case Smilodon
Audio Device(s) SUPREME XFII
Power Supply 700 SLI
Software XP 32-BIT
Thank you everybody for your answers!
In my opinion, yes you can put your router after your first computer and route to the second one. I say yes, cause now, I run directly from the modem IN my computer and go out from my second LAN and go to my second computer, WITH a regular RJ45 cable and NOT crossover!:nutkick:And the nice thing too is that there is a little program with Asus Maximus Formula (AI Link) that give you the possibility to exchange files from and to the computer of your choice at the speed of 1000MB if you have the cable CAT6 and another Gigabyte Lan on you other computer. You will have to make the update on that little program cause the first time, I was loosing my IP adresses and had to reset my modem every time. After the update, no problem.
This Maximus Formula is the best MOBO that I had and look so nice, especially with my Antec Nine Hundred with the blue neon:pimp:

I have the same motherboard, can you tell me how did you get your second LAN working?
are both computers working using a single Internet connection.