• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard Sues Michael Donnelly Over his WoW Glider Bot

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Blizzard is rich, why sue somebody? To make a point?

A

Azazel

its to scare other botters and gold sellers..it also a form of advertisement...its a way for more people to notice them...there is always more money to make :)

chron

WAAAA THEY WONT LET ME CHEAT WAAAA.

Stupid ass cheaters ruin games plain and simple. I've never played wow a day in my life, but I do hope blizzard makes this guy give his money back. I can't believe someone is actually making a living off cheating in wow.

System Name Beatle _ Juice
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 X (oc 4,2 ghz) 1.325v
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix B450 F
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (twin fans)
Memory 16 gb 3200 Mhz Kingston Hyper X (CL15-18-18)
Video Card(s) ASUS Nvidia Cerberus Gtx 1070ti
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB / Samsung F3 1TB / Kingston A400 240 GB
Display(s) Asus 27 " MG279Q ips 140hz
Case Cooler Master ATCS. 840
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W Focus
Software Windows10 Home Premium 64bit
Blizzard will lose

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.

Stupid ass cheaters ruin games plain and simple. I've never played wow a day in my life, but I do hope blizzard makes this guy give his money back. I can't believe someone is actually making a living off cheating in wow.

Yup, have to agree here. Thats how some of these posts come off. Nothing is stopping Blizzard from a civil suit. Therefore, I don't see why some believe that a lack of a criminal act is sooooo important to them, :roll:.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
For those who are unable to read:

BBC News said:
Blizzard argued that Michael Donnelly's tool also infringed the End User License Agreement that all parties have to adhere to when playing the game.

The EULA is not the same as the ToS. The former is legally binding while the latter is not, and it's the EULA that Glider violates. Therefore, Blizzard is completely within their rights to sue Donelly.

Not only that, Glider is making money for Donelly, money that he wouldn't have if WoW did not exist. In other words, he is getting a free ride on top of all the time and money that Blizzard have invested in WoW, and in turn Blizzard gets nothing.

Finally, Glider is a bot - a program designed to allow you to cheat. Anyone who writes something like that is a dumbass; anyone who then goes and charges money for it is an absolute and utter moron.

Donnelly deserves to get beaten down, and hard - this isn't a big-guy-versus-little-guy case, it's right versus wrong, and Blizzard are in the right; not just legally, but because they're trying to eradicate a tool that allows people to cheat.

Megasty

Processor i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz (4.0 when gaming)
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme - Yeah I Bought It...
Cooling Swiftech.
Memory 12 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer - I Love Red
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH4870X2 - That Fan Is...!?
Storage 4 WD 1.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Sceptre
Case TT Xaser VI - Fugly, Red, & Huge...
Audio Device(s) The ASUS Thingy
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit
Down with Blizzard! I have a nephew that plays WoW nearly 7hrs a day & bots the rest of the time. Cheating is one thing but donating your young life to a stupid game is another. No Blizzard, no WoW - no WoW, no WoW bot. Its that simple.

A

Azazel

Down with Blizzard! I have a nephew that plays WoW nearly 7hrs a day & bots the rest of the time. Cheating is one thing but donating your young life to a stupid game is another. No Blizzard, no WoW - no WoW, no WoW bot. Its that simple.

sorry to tell you this but that is your nephews and his parents fault...don't blame others for there mistakes

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
oh shit... i was scrolling and my mouse on the bli part made it look like wizzard sues and i was OMWTF :laugh:

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
well if blizzard loses the public will know that bots arent "illegal" so they will be encouraged to buy it...

Whether one agrees or disagrees, what is, is. Perception is in fact reality. Both parties will emerge with a higher public awareness, which means it's a "win win". My point is not to argue what is right or wrong, only what is. I do not disagree with your statement whatsoever.

ex_reven

I have to agree. Anything that excites me enough to spend 7 hours a day doing it non stop should be banned.

As a result I think that the government should put an immediate ban on breathing (plants included). Thats obviously the only solution to this respiratory obsession disorder.

T

TAViX

Not that I play or would play WOW but this is crap that you play auto, your account should be banned, as it makes it unfair for those who play when they have time get killed or kicked around by peeps doing this. This is no better than having wall hacks or the like in CS or shield hacks in Halo, both make the game unplayable with certain servers/people, and killed Halo online.

My thoughts exactly.

XooM

Processor Athlon 64 3800 x2 Windosr @ 2.65 (and rising)
Motherboard BIOSTAR TForce 550
Cooling Custom Liquid (WMD20RLZT, Swiftech STORM, 2-302 w/ custom shroud, 2x sanyo denki)
Memory Patriot PDC22G5300LLK
Video Card(s) Sapphire x1900GT
Storage 1x maxtor 40gb, 2x hitachi T7K250 160gb drives RAID 0, 1x 160gb Spinpoint
Display(s) 2x 17" CRT (dells; one from 1998, one from 2001) at 1600x1200 each
Case Aspire X-SuperAlien
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Seasonic S12 600watt
Software WinXP SP2, Folding@Home, Battlefield2, etc
bots in wow have no impact on your gameplay. if anything, they enhance it. You don't feel like grinding out 10 primal airs, but the ones on the AH are stupidly overpriced (all 5 of them anyways)? Too bad no botter on your realm is botting primal air and selling them in volume, keeping price inflation sane and having a supply. Its not like he's got good gear or really anything over you, he's just getting gold the hard way while you zoom around doing your free gold dailies. He has no unfair advantage over you; in fact, he plays like he's retarded.

And no, blizzard does NOT have a leg to stand on. If they did, they would've been done with this case one and a half years ago, when it started.

If blizzard wants to keep the quality of WoW they should make a stronger investment in security and monitoring the game play looking for boots and cheats.
I think that they wont be fault on maney to do that.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
bots in wow have no impact on your gameplay. if anything, they enhance it. You don't feel like grinding out 10 primal airs, but the ones on the AH are stupidly overpriced (all 5 of them anyways)? Too bad no botter on your realm is botting primal air and selling them in volume, keeping price inflation sane and having a supply.

While I applaud you for thinking about the issue a bit, you have to realize your logic is a bit faulty. Bot's don't just farm items, they also create tons and tons of money in game.

In the end, this actually has the opposite effect on prices from what you'd think, since more available money in an economy will always lead to higher prices, not lower.

A

Azazel

i dont hink enough people play mmo to understand the impact bots have

Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus p5w DH Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Andy Samurai, 4x80mm silenx, 2x120mm silenx fans
Memory 2x2gb G.Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) xfx black edition 6870
Storage 250gb seagate sata, 2x250gb seagate perp (raid0)
Display(s) dell 24"
Case Coolermaster atc s4000 sx-1
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy2 Platinum
Power Supply Antec True Power Trio 650w
Software winXP pro x64
Finally, Glider is a bot - a program designed to allow you to cheat. Anyone who writes something like that is a dumbass; anyone who then goes and charges money for it is an absolute and utter moron.

Donnelly deserves to get beaten down, and hard - this isn't a big-guy-versus-little-guy case, it's right versus wrong, and Blizzard are in the right; not just legally, but because they're trying to eradicate a tool that allows people to cheat.

Actually, I think it's quite brilliant. With all the Chinese WOW goldfarm sweatshops that Blizzard welcomes with open arms, how can anyone complain?

I totally understand Blizzard's concerns and the relevant concerns re: the economy.

But ultimately, I think that if the game was EXCITING to play to begin with (and not the grind-tastic idiotfest it is) there would be no need for bots. As it stands, there are so many mind-numbingly repetitive tasks in the game that I can totally understand the attraction to getting up in the morning to a few hundred gold. Hell, you pay a MONTHLY fee.

The whole idea that this is "cheating" in re: to automating the required repetitive tasks in the context of WOW is stupid.

XooM

Processor Athlon 64 3800 x2 Windosr @ 2.65 (and rising)
Motherboard BIOSTAR TForce 550
Cooling Custom Liquid (WMD20RLZT, Swiftech STORM, 2-302 w/ custom shroud, 2x sanyo denki)
Memory Patriot PDC22G5300LLK
Video Card(s) Sapphire x1900GT
Storage 1x maxtor 40gb, 2x hitachi T7K250 160gb drives RAID 0, 1x 160gb Spinpoint
Display(s) 2x 17" CRT (dells; one from 1998, one from 2001) at 1600x1200 each
Case Aspire X-SuperAlien
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Seasonic S12 600watt
Software WinXP SP2, Folding@Home, Battlefield2, etc
While I applaud you for thinking about the issue a bit, you have to realize your logic is a bit faulty. Bot's don't just farm items, they also create tons and tons of money in game.

In the end, this actually has the opposite effect on prices from what you'd think, since more available money in an economy will always lead to higher prices, not lower.

nope; actually, bots are almost zero-sum, since 95% of the bot's gold comes from some other player buying his crap (5% comes from vendor trash, but a good chunk of that turns around and goes right back out as his repair bill). other players, on the other hand, who do quests (ie dailies), individually add hundreds and hundeds of gold the WoW economy daily :)

In any case, blizzard's policy in banning botters is largely a reactive one: you get reported because you're a bad botter? you get the banstick. However, they take economic exploitation much more seriously; if a botter dumps 500 medium leather on the auctionhouse and undercuts everybody else while doing so, he will get banned/suspended for economic exploitation.

PrudentPrincess

System Name Foobox3000
Processor Core 2 Duo 36750@3.46ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
Memory 2gb (2x1gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800gtx
Storage 500gb 7200prm IDE
Display(s) Sceptre 19"
Case Apevia X-Qpack 2 Red
Power Supply 500w Apevia generic

Yeah I think it's funny that people are singling this guy out because its easy but the thousands in China farming gold and the thousands in the US buying from them will never get sued.

Snake05

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz G0 @3.6GHz
Motherboard MSI P35 Neo2 FR
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme w/Scythe S-FLEX 1600rpm
Memory 4 x G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 90GB SSD/Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB/750GB WD Caviar
Display(s) Samsung 24" LCD/Samsung 941BW
Case Thermaltake Soprano DX
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic w/ Logitech Z-5300e
Power Supply Mushkin NANOPOINT 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 15647
My old roommate use to use his Glider to make money instead of searching for a REAL job:shadedshu... As if WoW wasn't bad enough for the sad people addicted, realizing there is a way to make money off of the thing is drawing more than ever. WoW (Glider included) is going to be one of the root causes in the downfall of society....

BlueGreen026

Its as simple as this :

Playing Wow occasionally to fill up your free time : Nothing wrong here; you are simply doing something fun when you have nothing else to do. Besides its better than staring at the idiot box watching coronation street or something.

Playing Wow Moderately Not To Interfere with Real Life : So you play wow a couple of hours a day and maybe 3-4 hours on the weekend days. Still no problems here; perhaps you need to find some new activities to fill up your life as well but at least you can accomplish a lot of things in wow and compete with a lot of people.

Playing Wow A lot Filling Up Most of Free time : Okay you are playing wow a bit too much maybe; you really need to get out and do fun things. If your a hardworker and work hard its not so bad.

Playing Wow, Being Unemployed for Long Periods Each Week: So you play wow Semi Hardcore and your just a tier below the most hardcore players. Its important that you are at least getting a lot of fun out of the game or its pointless; but its important to sort our your real life and make sure you spend some time looking for work, etc... You are a bit of loser really.

Playing Wow Totally Unemployed None Stop : Ok your officially a hardcore loser you play Wow all the time and you rarely ever stop. You seriously need to start doing something else and forget about this game for a while; maybe quit altogether at least for a while.

Playing Wow Using Bots and Cheat Programs : I have to say, I really have to say what the hell is the point! You obviously get no fun out of the game and there is no sense of achievement whatsoever. If you dont have time to play wow and be the best then you cant be the best just live with it; I know the hardcore players cant be compete with but thats they way it is they are losers. But you the people who ruin the game for the general populace for free stuff your never earned are the Utter Lowest of the low! I mean the whole point of wow is making progress in different area's and having fun doing it! Whats the point in just arriving at the end game?