• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading to Quad questions

AlmicheV

Hi all. Am considering upgrading to Quad as I plan to do video work and 3D digital art. At the moment I have AMD Dual core 4000+. My first question is would it be worth just upgrading to a faster dual core (max is 5800+ on my mboard)?

Next, are Intels better than Athlons at the moment? My PSU is a 450W Corsair. Would this be ok for a Quad system? And is DDR2 ram ok for a quad system?

Thanks. :toast:

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
Well which quad do you plan on upgrading to. And intel is faster than amd right now. 450 Watts shouldn't be a problem but it also depends on what else is in your system. DDR2 will work just fine with a quad system.

AlmicheV

Am looking at the Q6600 with the p35-ds3r mboard. Would have 2 hard drives, not sure which graphics card yet though as I hear nvidia are better suited to Intel than ATI and need to research. 4gb of ram should be enough.

Thanks.

What programs are you planning to use? If they are multithreaded a slower quad most likely will be the better choice over a faster dual core.

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
Yea you would probably see a performance increase across virtually everything. Do you plan on overclocking your q6600? And power shouldn't be an issue as corsair makes powerful psu's. Right now nvidia does seem to have a better deal on video cards but if you wouldn't mind waiting another month before you buy a video card theres a whole new set coming out which should stir things up. And 4gb of ram should be plenty.

AlmicheV

What programs are you planning to use? If they are multithreaded a slower quad most likely will be the better choice over a faster dual core.

I don't know yet, probably just basic video editing and adding sound etc.

AlmicheV

Yea you would probably see a performance increase across virtually everything. Do you plan on overclocking your q6600? And power shouldn't be an issue as corsair makes powerful psu's. Right now nvidia does seem to have a better deal on video cards but if you wouldn't mind waiting another month before you buy a video card theres a whole new set coming out which should stir things up. And 4gb of ram should be plenty.

No overclucking, and good that my psu should be ok.

Will do research into video cards.

Thanks for your help.