• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick question about overclocking.

K

kyle2020

Right, my quick question is:

Is it better to have my overclocks (CPU + GPU) on all the time, or save the overclocks as files and run them when needed? e.g gaming, photoshop use and video decoding (for cpu)?

cheers!

nflesher87

Staff
find a nice stable OC for 24/7 that doesn't result in high temps and you're good to go :)
most cpus can handle a nice OC on stock voltage, though I'd say bump up the voltage a few notches and get your max rock stable oc for 24/7 that way :)

K

kyle2020

find a nice stable OC for 24/7 that doesn't result in high temps and you're good to go :)
most cpus can handle a nice OC on stock voltage, though I'd say bump up the voltage a few notches and get your max rock stable oc for 24/7 that way :)

i think you have misunderstood me :laugh:

what im asking is is it best to leave my overclocks on for everytime i boot them be on from the start, or only apply them when i need them?

Processor Intel 6700K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VIII Impact
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65
Memory 2 x 16 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F1
Power Supply SilverStone 600w SFX
For the CPU it's your call. Lower clocks mean less power consumption, if you don't fold or crunch SETI or anything you don't necessarily need it 24/7. I leave mine 24/7 for folding@home, that's the only reason. Also lower speed means less heat, meaning you can run your fans lower/quieter if you want.

GPU probably won't make a difference if you're overclocking it right. This is because when you overclock it, you should be overlcocking it for 3d (assuming you allowed for separate 2d/3d adjustments) so it'll back down to stock while you're not doing anything 3d (like gaming) unless you upped the 2d clock as well. But there's no reason to do that.

So in the end it's really up to you, just a matter of preference. I always leave my CPU 24/7 overclocked and my GPU at stock until I need it to go fast :)

System Name Sonny Boy
Processor i5 11600K 4.9GHz @ 1.35 Vcore
Motherboard AORUS Z590 Elite AX
Cooling Deepcool Gammix 240mm AIO
Memory 4 X 8GB Teamgroup DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3060 Ti GDDR6X
Storage Adata Legend 1TB
Display(s) Philips 27" 4K
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2
Software Windows 11 Pro
i think you have misunderstood me :laugh:

what im asking is is it best to leave my overclocks on for everytime i boot them be on from the start, or only apply them when i need them?

The answer is... it depends on your temperatures. If you have a decent cooling system and can keep you core temps in the 50-60degC range under full load then you can just keep the system at your overclocked state and not worry about the complexity of planning what state you want your system to be in. The reduction in long term reliability with these temps is minscule compared to the timeframe that you will own the computer.

If, however, you have temps in the 70C range with your overclock, regardless of stability, you probably want to consider dialing back the OC or only using it when you need it.

K

kyle2020

For the CPU it's your call. Lower clocks mean less power consumption, if you don't fold or crunch SETI or anything you don't necessarily need it 24/7. I leave mine 24/7 for folding@home, that's the only reason. Also lower speed means less heat, meaning you can run your fans lower/quieter if you want.

GPU probably won't make a difference if you're overclocking it right. This is because when you overclock it, you should be overlcocking it for 3d (assuming you allowed for separate 2d/3d adjustments) so it'll back down to stock while you're not doing anything 3d (like gaming) unless you upped the 2d clock as well. But there's no reason to do that.

So in the end it's really up to you, just a matter of preference. I always leave my CPU 24/7 overclocked and my GPU at stock until I need it to go fast :)

thanks for the insight mate, i think ill take it totally back to stock and just load my profiles when i need them - like you said, less heat + lower fan speeds. cheers!

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
as nflesher said, find a sweet spot for your ocs, a rock solid oc that does not cause high temperatures and still has good speed ( a slight voltage bump or stock volts will get you very far) and then you can use clockgen etc to overclock to a higher amount for benchmarking and the likes. also if you're into power saving etc, you can go for cool n quiet/ c1e\speedstep\eist etc for power savings while idling and power when using your cpu heavily