• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Sues GIGABYTE for ''Defamatory and False Accusations''

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
ASUS is taking the legal battle against GIGABYTE's false statements to the next step, informing today that it has officially filed a lawsuit against GIGABYTE for defamatory acts. Yesterday (May 22nd 2008), ASUS has also reported GIGABYTE to the Fair Trade Commission of Taiwan.
Gigabyte, without a full understanding of ASUS' engineering design and methods, has made false accusations against ASUS motherboards' EPU features and the quality of ASUS' motherboards' components.

Also, in a press briefing presentation, Gigabyte used a photograph with blown-up (exploded) capacitors and led the audience to believe it was an ASUS product, to support its false allegations that ASUS uses questionable quality components. However, the image was found to be taken from a photograph of a VGA card manufactured by another vendor. The action of misrepresenting a third party product to be an ASUS product is truly defamatory and clearly outside the realm of decent competition.

ASUS takes pride in its innovations, which are measured against the highest standards in the industry at all stages of operation - from project development, engineering, manufacturing to service. Through a combination of the best quality-controlled components and processes, ASUS delivers state-of-the art technology breakthroughs to meet customers' needs. Every breakthrough is the result of huge R&D engineering efforts.

Hence, while it is common to have competition among companies, the use of the above mentioned methods are defamatory and condemnable. ASUS deeply resents Gigabyte's action. Yesterday (May 22nd 2008), ASUS has reported such acts to the Fair Trade Commission of Taiwan. Today (May 23rd 2008), ASUS has officially filed a lawsuit against Gigabyte for those defamatory acts.

The EPU features represent an integral part of the world's first intelligent energy-saving motherboard which ASUS launched in September 2007. This technology incorporates a hardware EPU controller and the ASUS AI Gear user interface to provide the maximum system efficiency. The EPU controller dynamically regulates a wide variety of system parameters (such as CPU voltage, loadline, and frequencies) in response to real-time system loading. Furthermore, ASUS utilizes a unique clock controller, loadline monitor and CPU sensor to automatically determine the optimal system operating mode to achieve the best user experience in terms of both performance and energy saving.

We at ASUS reiterate our primary mission of continually creating new products and innovations with the highest standards and absolute integrity. ASUS will be posting the engineering data regarding the EPU features on the official websites for ASUS motherboard users' information (http://event.asus.com/epu/).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name My Lovely PC :)
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz @3.12GHz - 1.35v/390fsb/8x multi
Motherboard Gigabyte P43-DS3L
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - MX2 paste
Memory 2GB, Team Value Ram 667 @ 780MHz
Video Card(s) ECS 8800GT 512MB @ 700/1720/2100
Storage 160GB Hitachi Deskstar/80GB Maxtor PY080L0
Display(s) Asus VH226H 22" 1920x1080
Case Eye-T
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD, AC888 8 channel audio
Power Supply 570 Watt, TRUST PSU
Software Windows 7 Beta
wtf?, didnt expect this to happen...

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
LOL. This is funny, because 4 days ago I had a cap blow on a GIGABYTE mobo! lolz, too funny. And even funnier is that both my towers use Asus boards... Thanks for reporting on this one... You really made my morning.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Oh Shi-

Now, three episodes later, the Chinese drama intensifies, daggers drawn.

Case Eye-T
Software Windows 7 Beta
oh noes!

everybody's kung fu fighting!

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
oh noes!

I imagine them splashing wasted electrolyte of damaged capacitors at each-other, of the thousands of DOA boards each have.

"EPU? ee peee you!"

BLAM!

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
wow talk about handbags at 10 paces ladies.

Megasty

Processor i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz (4.0 when gaming)
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme - Yeah I Bought It...
Cooling Swiftech.
Memory 12 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer - I Love Red
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH4870X2 - That Fan Is...!?
Storage 4 WD 1.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Sceptre
Case TT Xaser VI - Fugly, Red, & Huge...
Audio Device(s) The ASUS Thingy
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit
Oh Shi-

Now, three episodes later, the Chinese drama intensifies, daggers drawn.

hehe, too bad after three episodes its completely boring & predictable. If only the kiddy fight didn't start with name calling...:rolleyes:

Processor FX 8150 4.41Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600
Video Card(s) Diamond Multimedia HD7970 3GB
Storage 2x WD Black 640GB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 32" LED
Case Cooler Master Cosmos (new version)
Audio Device(s) Platronics 777
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition x64
Benchmark Scores Geekbench: 10,136 3DMark 11: P7792
Haha. Stupid Gigabyte. Everything I've ever owned made by them was crap, and everything from Asus has been like a dream. Serves Gigabyte right for slandering a competitor with false information.

Gam'ster

System Name Toshiba L350
Processor AMD QL-65
Motherboard Toshiba 780G/SB700
Cooling Laptop
Memory 3GB
Video Card(s) ATI HD3000
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 17" Widescreen
Case Black/Carbon effect
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Brick
Software WIN7
:laugh:, didnt see that comming :rolleyes:

I always thought that Asus and gigabyte had some sort of strange partnership. Didnt Asus manufacture gigabytes mobos for a while or something like that??.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Breaking News :

In a world wide poll, when asked about the continuing drama of tech companies suing each other, 99.8% responded with,
"Just shut up and make decent stuff, we're tired of your stupid bickering and don't care."

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Good Gigabyte deserves it. Their comments were more stupid fanboyish than intellegent information. They could have easily got the same message accross without calling another company liars.

Though when you get past the name calling and actually read the information Gigabyte provide, you realise it is mostly BS. For example: They claim ASUS's EPU is not hardware, but all software. Then right under that they claim the different levels of EPU involve FSB changes and VCore changes, both are hardware controlled, the FSB is controlled by the clock generator on the board(a piece of hardware) and the VCore is controlled by the voltage regulators(also a piece of hardware). Gigabyte's claims basically stem from the fact that ASUS uses a piece of software to control the hardware(isn't that how it all is?). That is like saying that because I burn CDs with Nero burning CDs is done entirely via software. And Gigabyte's claim that because the Caps used on the board aren't made in Japan theyare some how worse is just BS too. You can get quality caps from many places outside of Japan.

Last edited:

leonard_222003

System Name Home
Processor Q6600 @ 3300
Motherboard Gigabyte p31 ds3l
Cooling TRUE Intel Edition
Memory 4 gb x 800 mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 560
Storage WD 1x250 gb Seagate 2x 1tb
Display(s) samsung T220
Case no name
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply chieftec 550w
Software Windows 7 64
I on the contrary everything i owned and friends too from Asus has been the worst hardware ever faulty from factory or got faulty along the way sometimes pretty fast 1 month and dead and this applies for video cards and motherboards i don't know about other things Asus does how does it hold in time.
It's funny but even online sites sell everything from gainward,evga,gigabyte...etc. but they always get stuck with some asus videocards wich no one wants to buy because they are both more expensive and have a very bad reputation for being faulty or getting faulty but this is not the case here because we talk about motherboards still very strange at least in my country.
The most frequented forums in my country (romania) talk very badly about Asus products and are avoided like plague i'm suprised there are happy people here but it must depend on country maybe we get the bad stuff from asus i don't know.
I have 1 gigabyte motherboard and 1 video card from them and had a lot of them in the past and had no problems but for my gaming machine i use DFI motherboard wich uses quality components for long before gigabyte and asus raised the bar.
In my opinion Asus is a scam with the marketing hype and always been and gigabyte has a good claim here except for the most expensive motherboards asus has the rest are questionable in terms of quality from my experience and what i've read on forums.
They wil loose the lawsuit and gigabyte will rubb it in they'r face even more unless asus can bankrupt them but i don't think they can.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Gigabyte has no good claim here, they are just as gualty as ASUS, all this is is marketting hype for Gigabyte. ASUS boards are very well built, I've only had one fail on me, and I have used ASUS boards for years. The best part is their customer service is great, unlike Gigabyte which has refused my an RMA multiple times in the past on the first try.

Both companies put out quality boards, but I refuse to do any business with Gigabyte because they are just not a reputable company. They have a great product, but the company itself is shit. This situation is a perfect example. There is the mature way to provide the information and the immature way. Gigabyte, as usually, chose the immature way.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
It would help if any of you had actually read up and understood what's going on. Asus started all this by claiming that Gigabyte's DES setup is no good as it's a software based power saving feature and that the EPU is superior becuase it's hardware based. This statement isn't true, as for starters, the EPU requires software to work as well and Gigabyte's DES uses a smarter design, as they don't require an extra hardware chip to get the same result. Another part of this story has to do with Intersil who makes the power regulation IC's used by Gigabyte, as Gigabyte struck a deal with them which left Asus short on chips from my understanding and this is part of what kicked all of this off.

The presentation in question was shown to media during an event in Taiwan at Gigabyte's HQ. There's no wonder that Asus' EPU has been questioned, as what many of you might not remember is that initially, Asus claimed a power saving of 58.6% but this was later upgraded to 80.23% without any hardware, software or BIOS upgrades being performed. Some of the more recent stuff from Asus claims 96%+ power saving (http://event.asus.com/mb/6engine/index.htm) which if you have any kind of clue what you're talking about, sounds like pure science fiction, that is unless Asus has quietly invented room temperature super conductors.

The other key point is that Asus' EPU only has a two step change, from 8 to 4 PWM's. This raised the question on how they do the "gear" change on 4-phase motherboards. Now, this is where things get tricky, as Gigabyte claims they don't have any "gear" changes on these boards and Asus has yet to prove otherwise. The problem is that you need quite sophisticated equipment to tell if there are any PWM phase changes happening or not, in other words, you need a special lab set up for it all, which isn't stuff your average review site can test.

The Asus motherboard used was the P5K SE EPU and it was up against the P35-DS3L as Gigabyte see these as the best selling products due to their low price. The part that is questionable is the one about capacitors, but it looks like the ones Gigabyte is pointing out are located near the CD audio connector on the motherboard. Gigabyte claims that these are "questionable quality components". At no stage did the picture with the blown capacitors look like an Asus motherboard and it's quite clear that it's off a graphics card as you can see the heatsink on the GPU. It was more of a question statement asking if you wanted to see that in your computer, but if you don't look properly it could've been interpreted in a different way. The whole reason for this argument is because Gigabyte couldn't locate the manufacturer of the capacitors used, but as long as Asus can prove who the manufacturer is, this might be an issue for Gigabyte in court. But even if the capacitors on the picture in question aren't solid capacitors, I doubt it makes a huge difference if they're related to the audio part of the motherboard, since it does't tend to get all that hot in that area of the motherboard and as such the life time of the capacitors shouldn't be adversly affected.

Despite all this, it feels like this is childish bickering between two of the largest motherboard manufacturers in the world, but it's no so different to the Intel/Nvidia stuff that's going on. I just wish these companies would spend more time improving the overall quality of their products rather than trying to find flaws in eachothers products. But ho hum...
Make what you want of this and I haven't heard Asus' side of the story, but I just thought I'd at least clear a few missunderstandings up here and add some more facts to the whole story.

And one more thing, Taiwan isn't the US, as the company with the most cash won't win in court, it's the company that has the law on its side that'll win, whoever that is.

Processor Intel i5 12600KF
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4, Socket 1700
Cooling MSI Ventus AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI VentusRTX 3060 12Gb
Storage XPS 1TB | 2x Kingston 2TB Sata | Sinology 4TB (Raid1) |
Display(s) 24" Dell U2417H
Case Msi Mpg Odin
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 + Microlab Solo 6C
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750, 80
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Razer
Software Windows 10 x64
I on the contrary everything i owned and friends too from Asus has been the worst hardware ever [...]
The most frequented forums in my country (romania) talk very badly about Asus products and are avoided like plague [...]

Oook. Now 1st of all.. that is not true... I dont know what forums you visit regularly. But except for a handful of bickering guys who think they know a lot about hardware I see nobody complaining about quallity issues with Asus products.

I work at a PC service in Romania and I can tell you for a fact that Asus boards are the last ones that crap out on my clients. In fact if I where to make a statistic most ppl go for Asus.

Most ppl's pc's crap out because of cheap and/or inadequate PSU's. they think that "expensive ones" are an unjustified extravangance no matter how much I try to persuade them about efficiency, stabillity and PFC..:ohwell:

Also low end motherboards tend to be less stable and durable regardless of brand.

Last edited:

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
oh noes!

Damn you, now I have that horrid song in my head!:roll:

On topic, this ought to be interesting to watch unfold (or unwad). Either way it gets both of their names "out there" which is beneficial to all concerned. Even bad press is better than no press at all.

Off topic, it's still in my head, make it stop! :eek:

Case Eye-T
Software Windows 7 Beta
lol that song causes more deaths than kungfu itself >_>

leonard_222003

System Name Home
Processor Q6600 @ 3300
Memory 4 gb x 800 mhz
Display(s) samsung T220
Case no name
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Windows 7 64
Being a war of hype i don't think it's immature.You can be stupid and make little noise and be matture or translate that into stupid or you can be very agressive in a bussines manner and kill the competition by any menas necessary.
This immature thing or don't go to that level is translated by smart and succsefull people into being stupid for not having the courage so trashing asus name this way is a good thing for gigabyte more customers for them.
Asus could be considered an immature company too for people who thinks like that, they copy marketing hype from other companys like gigabyte with the eficency ....crap and double the claims with no real improvement if what gigabyte says is true so it's like a kidd i can do that too and even better and when gigabyte sees that and other companys they get angry because they really worked hard to putt a feature like that and some company like asus blows them away putting a sticker on they'r box they can do better but in fact they cannot.
What if a car company put's out a car that has 20 hp and a rival puts a car with 40 hp and the first company decide to advertise the 20 hp car as a 80 hp wouldn't the 40 hp company get angry and sue them for lying ? that in world where testing the cars would be hard or of no interest to some like this energy thing for motherboards.
This is the situation here if one Mobo company says they'r motherboard can have 90% more energy efficience and in reality they can do that Asus can come and just putt a sticker saying they can have 180% energy efficience but not change anything in they'r hardware or software or real testing proof.
This renders the competition research and the plus features that diferentiate them from others 0 and that's why gigabyte taked action.
Bussines people sees what asus does with false claims as smart and some people as very immature and same thing with gigabyte.

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
Well looking on asus website, I do find it hard to believe that their motherboards provide a 96%+ power efficiency increase. The fighting seems to be pretty childish with a lot of people taking sides with asus for some reason, when i'm pretty sure it was infact asus that started this whole mess in the first place.

lyricalgamer

Processor q6600
Motherboard gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l
Cooling zalman air coolers
Memory 2 gb
Video Card(s) gigabyte 8800gt oc
Storage 2 hard disks of total 320gb
Audio Device(s) creative audigy s2
Power Supply 550 watts generic power supply
Software windows xp SP2
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 06-11400 points
woot woot!

woa!so much tv drama action from these companies??dunno when gigabyte representatives will say"the chairman of asus is from bangladesh,therefore they create such crap products"..lol.frankly i dont see anything wrong in any of their products,gigabyte vid cards nd mobos work exceptionally well,and aside from the fact that asus products area tad more expensive then the rest,its also quite good..dunno yd gigabyte hav to go up on asus like that.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
woa!so much tv drama action from these companies??dunno when gigabyte representatives will say"the chairman of asus is from bangladesh,therefore they create such crap products".

Please don't use Bangladesh as an example, don't use a nation at all. BTW, Bangladesh isn't all that bad, the official NY Yankees merchandise that my cousins brought me from NY were all made in Bangladesh, they were pretty good.

echo75

System Name Main
Processor Q6700 @ 3.5Ghz (with 1.50 Vcore)
Motherboard P5K
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283 (amazing performance)
Memory Corsair 800mhz 4GB @ 864mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 8800GT@ 720/1800/2100,blue Pcb with 92cm Glaciator cooler(4870 still under testing)
Storage Seagate 250GB SATA , 500GB eSATA
Display(s) LG Flatron 19"
Case Antec Designer (modded)
Power Supply Corsair VX 550W
Software Win XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark06 = 15,253 for 8800GT, 3Dmark06 = 15,807 for HD 4870
ok, this means war i am on the Asus side, all you gigaboys are now to be exterminated!!!! :slap::nutkick::laugh:

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
Please don't use Bangladesh as an example, don't use a nation at all. BTW, Bangladesh isn't all that bad, the official NY Yankees merchandise that my cousins brought me from NY were all made in Bangladesh, they were pretty good.

+1. It's not a "nation" issue, it's a "cheaper is better" issue. You pay for what you get, and you get what you pay for.

leonard_222003

System Name Home
Processor Q6600 @ 3300
Memory 4 gb x 800 mhz
Display(s) samsung T220
Case no name
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Windows 7 64
Intresting Black Hades then we must go on different forums.
For me computergames forum and xtremepc forums are the biggest ones and both hate asus and evne more admins from both forums avoid asus and advice people who come there for guidance to not buy Asus.
People buy asus more because they are everywhere they have good publicity (energy eficience better than everyone :) ) and because they are in stock more often than other brands :).
But who has more hardware experience and doesn't get fooled by box stickers doesn't buy Asus they read a bunch of reviews and gets the ideea.
By the way a test of energy saving would be good to see if asus saves more than gigabyte and that would settle for us the discuttion and whos better and who lies don't you peole think that ?