• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Vista and my quest to install a printer!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Ok, first of all I would like to say that I have actually managed to get everything working, after spending the better part of my 3 day weekend working one it, so this isn't a request for help. I started dealing with this problem Friday evening, and just now got it solved Sunday evening! This is just me venting my frustration and possible making a post that might help others with similar issues. Anyway, on to my story:

I installed Vista Business Premium x64 on my main computer(specs to the left). It is the only computer I expected to have Vista installed on. Everything seemed to go smoothly, with the exception of me having a few older programs that would not install on a 64-bit OS, but downloading the latest version fixed the issue.

Then I went to install my Lexmark X6150 All-in-one printer, which is actually connected to Rig 3, which is running Windows XP Professional(32bit). I download the Vista x64 driver from Lexmarks site, I install the printer, everything seems to go fine until I tried to print. BAM! "Problem communicating with the Printer" WTF!!!

I go into Printer and sure enough the printer status is listed as "error". I go into the properties and everything looks normal. I try uninstalling the printer and installing it manuall, and this is where the real fun begins. I get the error that the operation could not be completed after finding the printer on the network and trying to connect to it. The error string is (0x0000000d). I google the string and see MANY people having the same problem.

The first solution I came across was to map the printer to LPT2 using the net use command, then add the printer pointing it to the LPT2 port. It seemed to work! That was easy... Until I tried to print, Lexmark's drivers will not use an LPT port, the printer HAS to be connected to a USB port!:banghead:(Fuck you lexmark for making shitty drivers!:banghead:)

More googling revealed that the problem is usually caused by the drivers being corrupted. So I spend an hour trying to clean up all the Lexmark's crap. Re-install of the drivers and same problem. So I say fuck it and re-install vista entirely. Doesn't work.

The next solution seems to be to install a Vista driver on the XP machine, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and I didn't think it would even work. However, for some reason it did. Even though it was a 64-bit driver for a completely different OS, when I manually updated the driver through Windows it took the Vista x64 driver and actually still worked. I could print from the XP machine just fine. I hop on the Vista machine, and no go though.:mad:

So I just starting playing around, creating ports, pointing them at my XP machine's printer share, deleting ports, creating them, installing the printer, uninstalling the printer, and magically it seems to start working. Honestly, I completely lost track of what I did, and I was damn tired when I did it. It is now 1:30AM, I had been up since 6AM and I had to get up at 8AM to go up to Indiana Dunes State Park. I print a test page, it worked, I go to bed.

I wake up the next morning. Try to print again, and NOTHING. FUCK!!!! Everything looks good on the Vista machine, so I head to the XP machine. It seems the print job from last night was stuck in the queue. A power cycle of the printer fixes that, and I print another test page, it works, I go to the State Park.

When we got back in the afternoon I try to print again, and no go.:banghead: Same issue, the last print job is stuck in the printer queue. I tried disabling the print spooler and printing directly to the printer on both machine, didn't work. I try changing the print processor, and it didn't work.

After some googling, I find out that this is also a common issue, and basically it boils down to the fact that Lexmark's 64-bit driver doesn't like to work with XP's Print Spooler, and even if it is diabled, it still screws up.:banghead:

So I finally give up and install Vista x64 on Rig 3. I finally get it install, and map the printer just fine. Then I try to print from Rig 3 and it works. I walk into the other room and print from the remote Vista machine, and nothing.:banghead:

Back to the same issue, any print job I send to the printer gets stuck in the queue until I power cycle the printer.

I do some googling and find out that this is also a known issue of Lexmark's drivers.:banghead:(Again, fuck you Lexmark!) However, there is a simple known solution, switch the print processor from Lexamark's to WinPrint and switch the data type to RAW. I do this on both machines, and FINALLY both are working perfectly.

I go to install the new shared printer on my other machines, all running XP, and the printers install, but for some reason only partially. When I try to go into their properties it says there is no driver installed. However, I can print to the printer, and everything prints normally, including pictures. I just can't adjust any settings(quality setting being the most important). I assume this is Lexmark's fault also, but I really don't have the will to research this damn issue any further. All my computers can print, and that is good enough for me right now.

Sorry about the rant, but I just had to get it off my chest. Now off to figure out why my monitor on Rig 3 only wakes from sleep half the time(I love Vista SOOOOOO much!:banghead:)

philbrown23

System Name Dominator
Processor INTEL C2Q Q6600 FTW!!
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-E!!!
Cooling TEC cooled cpu, everything else is under water :D
Memory 4GB CELL SHOCK D9GMH 1066MHZ/4GB CRUCIAL REDS
Video Card(s) 4850 (VT)/ 4850 IN CROSSFIRE!
Storage western digital= 1X 250GB, 1X 500GB, IDE 160GB (BOOT DRIVE ONLY). SEAGATE FREE AGENT 500GB EHDD
Display(s) viewsonic 19" hd widescreen
Case ROCKETFISH FOR NOW :(
Audio Device(s) ONBOARD WORKS JUST FINE FOR ME :p
Power Supply ULTRA X3 1KW MODULAR
Software win vista ultimate 64 TWEAKED!!!
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=434759 3dm06: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm0
Had this same problem! I just quick and sai f it

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
That looks like quite the time you were having. Really don't think its vista's fault so much as lexmark making crummy drivers.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
That looks like quite the time you were having. Really don't think its vista's fault so much as lexmark making crummy drivers.

Lexmark is an all around shitty company. I have had 6 out of 6 Lexmark printers die on me. :(

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

It is really a combination of both. Actually, I think it is actually a problem with XP more than Vista. The Print Spooler on XP doesn't seem to like accepting jobs from Vista 64-bit. I think the problem is the mixing of 64 and 32 bit OSes. And through my googling I found that the issues I was having original(the 0x0000000d error) were a common problem with Vista and printers, HP printers seem to be having the same issue.

Lexmark is an all around shitty company. I have had 6 out of 6 Lexmark printers die on me. :(

I've been pretty happy with my Lexmark printer until now. I usually buy cheap printers, my last printer cost me $50 and it was a Lexmark, and yes it died after 4 years of use, but again it was only $50, I wasn't expecting quality. I've had plenty of HP printers die also. My current printer wasn't exactly a cheap printer, and it works great. I find the trick with any company it so not go cheap. Cheap printers break, if you spend a little money, you get a much better printer that will last a lot longer.