• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

THE scariest thing EVER.

K

kyle2020

christ i about pooed myself haha.

Uninstalled a program that required reboot, so i clicked reboot, my bios splash screen popped up, then a black screen as per usual, but then followed by

BOOTMGR IS MISSING!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i almost had a heart attack. checked all cables, booted into vista repair bit, it couldnt find my harddrive :eek:

So i sat there, wondering WTF had gone wrong. so i popped the cd in again to do a fresh install, admitting defeat. However vista booted straight onto my login screen :wtf:

Was possibly my most terrifying experience in computing EVER.

Possible spam but i had to share it with you all. Dont know what went wrong :confused:

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Iv had it happend to me to, many times. Except a few were not as lucky as you...:cry:

Drauk

Processor X3350
Motherboard EVGA 790i Ultra
Cooling Air
Memory Corsair 4Gb
Video Card(s) 9800GXT
Storage Seagate 500GB
Display(s) 20" Samsung
Case CoolerMaster 830
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Corsair 1000w
Software Vista 64bit
May I ask, what software you were uninstalling?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i've seen things like that, if i leave a USB storage device (incl. my digicam) connected to the PC it changes the boot order, and the system tries to boot off those and fails.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I had read about people getting that on Vista. Apparently it's a problem either where you have more than 1 HDD or where your HDD is partitioned.
After Vista's initial "loading installation files" you are given a choice as to what partition/drive you want to install Vista on. If there is any partition/drive above the partition/drive you want to use, then it will need to be disabled because Vista is going to write BOOTMGR on the partion/drive thats on the top of the "where do you what to install" list.
Also you might want to check your boot priorities in the bios.

If you remove the Vista disk from the drive, does your pc boot normally now?

K

kyle2020

I had read about people getting that on Vista. Apparently it's a problem either where you have more than 1 HDD or where your HDD is partitioned.
After Vista's initial "loading installation files" you are given a choice as to what partition/drive you want to install Vista on. If there is any partition/drive above the partition/drive you want to use, then it will need to be disabled because Vista is going to write BOOTMGR on the partion/drive thats on the top of the "where do you what to install" list.
Also you might want to check your boot priorities in the bios.

If you remove the Vista disk from the drive, does your pc boot normally now?

well, i just did a reboot and no. i need the disc to be inserted to boot. I only have one harddrive, no partitions on it seeing as i have an external HDD. when i went into the repair section of the cd it couldnt find my harddrive, for some reason, and thus i couldnt repair anything. Im going to have to try again, but i dont know how to solve this. :(

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I found this... maybe it helps?

Method 1: Repair the BCD store by using the Startup Repair option

You can use the Startup Repair option in the Windows Recovery Environment to repair the BCD store. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.
7. Restart the computer.

Method 2: Rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool

If the previous method does not resolve the problem, you can rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER.
• If the Bootrec.exe tool runs successfully, it presents you with an installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.
• If the Bootrec.exe tool cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order in which they are presented. Press ENTER after each command.
Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Bootrec /rebuildbcd
8. Restart the computer.

philbrown23

System Name Dominator
Processor INTEL C2Q Q6600 FTW!!
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-E!!!
Cooling TEC cooled cpu, everything else is under water :D
Memory 4GB CELL SHOCK D9GMH 1066MHZ/4GB CRUCIAL REDS
Video Card(s) 4850 (VT)/ 4850 IN CROSSFIRE!
Storage western digital= 1X 250GB, 1X 500GB, IDE 160GB (BOOT DRIVE ONLY). SEAGATE FREE AGENT 500GB EHDD
Display(s) viewsonic 19" hd widescreen
Case ROCKETFISH FOR NOW :(
Audio Device(s) ONBOARD WORKS JUST FINE FOR ME :p
Power Supply ULTRA X3 1KW MODULAR
Software win vista ultimate 64 TWEAKED!!!
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=434759 3dm06: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm0
Backup Now!!!

K

kyle2020

I found this... maybe it helps?

Method 1: Repair the BCD store by using the Startup Repair option

You can use the Startup Repair option in the Windows Recovery Environment to repair the BCD store. To do this, follow these steps:
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.
7. Restart the computer.

Method 2: Rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool

If the previous method does not resolve the problem, you can rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps:
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER.
• If the Bootrec.exe tool runs successfully, it presents you with an installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.
• If the Bootrec.exe tool cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order in which they are presented. Press ENTER after each command.
Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Bootrec /rebuildbcd
8. Restart the computer.

i was just reading that too haha. going to print it off now :toast:

Its just frustrating how its happened out of no where :banghead:

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Or maybe you can make windows to show hidden files, find your bootmgr file, probably it's on another partition... copy and paste it on the partition containing your OS... It's easier if you download something like total commander or similar.
Good luck...

K

kyle2020

Or maybe you can make windows to show hidden files, find your bootmgr file, probably it's on another partition... copy and paste it on the partition containing your OS... It's easier if you download something like total commander or similar.
Good luck...

i dont have any partitions :confused:

i have tried this anyway, reckons i need permission to add the file? cant get past it haha.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Are you logged in as administrator?

Have you tried the 'startup repair' option?

1. Insert Windows Vista DVD media into DVD-ROM drive, and boot up your computer using CD-ROM drive. If your computer doesn’t boot up or at least prompt you to ask whether to boot up with CD-ROM drive, you need to change the boot up sequence setting in your BIOS.
2. At the “Install Windows” window, select your preferred language, time and currency format and keyboard or input method, and then click on “Next” button.
3. On the next screen, click on the “Repair your computer” link on the bottom left corner.
4. Choose which Windows installation that you want to repair, in case you have many copies of Windows partition. In the case you have only one installation, the choice is obvious.
5. In the “System Recovery Options” window, click on “Startup Repair” to automatically fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting, including missing BOOTMGR.
6. The recovery process should be pretty fast completed. Then take out your DVD, and try to boot up your computer using hard disk to check if the BOOTMGR is missing problem is solved.

If you still facing problem, try the second option - “System Restore” instead, which should be able to recover and replace back original good BOOTMGR if the restore point is created before BOOTMGR is missing.

Last edited:
K

kyle2020

no problem - just done it mate. Used the insructions that make you use command prompt. cheers panther! problem solved :D :D :D

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Sheesh Kyle. First an overclocking venture and now this. Your really hitting em out of the ballpark this week. Congrats you got it fixed. I was going to suggest to take a look at Disk Management to see if your boot partition was the active partition.

Well in all reality glad to see you got it fixed.

K

kyle2020

Sheesh Kyle. First an overclocking venture and now this. Your really hitting em out of the ballpark this week. Congrats you got it fixed. I was going to suggest to take a look at Disk Management to see if your boot partition was the active partition.

Well in all reality glad to see you got it fixed.

i know haha - its my curse. If something can go wrong, it bloody will. Glad i sorted it, still amazed how it just happened for no reason. Atleast now i know how to fix it in the future :D

smig

System Name Smig
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Motherboard MSI K9n6SGM-V
Cooling Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 + 2 80 case fans
Memory 2gb DDR2-800 5-5-5-15@400MHz
Video Card(s) Inoision 9600GSO 384mb
Storage 2x Seagate SATA2 250gb - RAID-1
Display(s) no name 19" LCD
Audio Device(s) On-board 7.1
Power Supply Topower 500w
Software XP Pro SP2
I always say - don't try to kill yourself this week. it won't work :D

good it's solved :)
BTW there is a reason for it to happen - using vista :p

K

kyle2020

I always say - don't try to kill yourself this week. it won't work :D

good it's solved :)
BTW there is a reason for it to happen - using vista :p

your right haha. wish id have waited for XP SP3 to come out :(

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Also may I note. NEVER UNPLUG THE COMPUTER OF HAVE IT SHUT DOWN BY ANY MEANS WHILE ITS IN SLEEP MODE!!!! IN FACT DON"T EVEN PUT IT IN SLEEP MODE CAUSE IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG, YOUR BOOT WILL MESS UP!!!!.

Thats what happend to me pleanty of times with Vista+SP1 so I just stoped using Sleep Mode.

Oh man did I try practicly everything in startup repair and the CMD to get it fixed...

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos

SFC and more. Try useing one of those if you can't get your PC to boot.

K

kyle2020

Also may I note. NEVER UNPLUG THE COMPUTER OF HAVE IT SHUT DOWN BY ANY MEANS WHILE ITS IN SLEEP MODE!!!! IN FACT DON"T EVEN PUT IT IN SLEEP MODE CAUSE IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG, YOUR BOOT WILL MESS UP!!!!.

Thats what happend to me pleanty of times with Vista+SP1 so I just stoped using Sleep Mode.

Oh man did I try practicly everything in startup repair and the CMD to get it fixed...

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos

my problems solved mate, but thanks for the input. i never put my system "to sleep" haha, i either lock it or turn it off :D

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos

i have no issues doing that. Using vista it simply resumes as if i hit hibernate - if you disabled the hiber file, then you of course will have issues.