• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maxing my Laptops FPS

ho0dzy

System Name HP Pavillion dv9930us
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.0 GHz
Memory 4.00 GB
Video Card(s) NVidia GeForce 8600M GS
Storage 300 GB
Software Windows Vista Home Premium (64 Bit Edition)
Hi Everyone,

I've just recently purchased a new custom-built laptop from CyberPowerPC.com.

The link to the laptop I've purchased is here

My system specs are as follows:

Windows Vista Home Basic (64 bit ed.)
Service Pack 1 (trying to force it to update to Service Pack 2... doesn't seem to want to)
Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-64 2.20 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600

I've "toned down" vista abit so it's not as "pretty" and has a more simplified look, but I'm still only getting FPS in World of Warcraft of about ~30 or so. I've used the Mobility Modifier to modify the ATI Radeon HD 2600 drivers to a mobility format, and installed them - only kicking up my FPS to about ~35 in WoW.

My setting sin WoW are fairly simple, Terrain Distance is low, Environment Detail, Texture Resolution, and Spell Detail are all maxed but the rest are turned to their lowest setting. I'm also running in Windowed Mode (maximized) and have Vertical Sync off.

Any ideas as to what I can do to kick up my FPS?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
Yeah probably optimizing Vista. Also if you look in the laptop overclocking thread, you can try and overclock your graphics card, but remember if you do that you have to watch temps, especially since it's a laptop. Oh and btw, there's no such thing as SP2 for Vista....yet.

ho0dzy

Memory 4.00 GB
Storage 300 GB
Thank you. I have the feeling that it has a little to do with Vista but more to do with general settings that need to be tweaked (startup settings is something I'll be looking into)

I have the feeling it could be something with the graphics card/processing... perhaps drivers?

Vista Home Basic doesn't use Aero, so you can turn all the pretty options back on, since the graphics card won't be trying to make Vista prettier while in a game.
Even with Aero, I believe it turns off when the graphics card is in use otherwise, or at least, seems to be the case with my laptop.

Vista's only service pack is Service Pack 1, the pack you're trying to install is XP Service Pack 2, and it will not install at all, and shouldn't be installed anyhow, even if you figure out a way of forcing it.

Make sure you have the power options set to maximum performance, since this could be slowing the CPU down to lower heat. And also set the settings to their highest and slowly start reducing things. Terrain distance doesn't seem to affect things a huge amount, and in fact comes in quite handy, so try turning other things down first, like environment detail, and texture resolution.
WoW can be a deceiving game with the settings, as a friend of mine recently found out (with a new laptop, similar specs in fact), setting things a little higher can actually bring better performance.

Also, if you're getting 30fps in a high population server, in the middle of a busy city, then you're doing well. There are very few times it will get any lower, apart from in an instance, but lag will likely be the big fps killer there.

Oh, and before I forget, it's not very likely to be Vista, for the simple fact that I have a dual 450/G4, with 6200 running WoW on low settings, getting 30fps, on OSX Tiger, and with a bunch of other stuff at the same time, so your 2.2GHz Turion X2 can easily handle Vista and WoW at the same time.

ho0dzy

Memory 4.00 GB
Storage 300 GB
Alright, well it seems I have to go with the "Optimizing Vista" route, because I've tried using NUMEROUS programs in the Laptop Overclocking thread that just DO NOT agree with Windows Vista 64 bit :banghead: I"ve even tried running them in a compatibility mode set for Windows XP

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
Hi Everyone,

I've just recently purchased a new custom-built laptop from CyberPowerPC.com.

The link to the laptop I've purchased is here

My system specs are as follows:

Windows Vista Home Basic (64 bit ed.)
Service Pack 1 (trying to force it to update to Service Pack 2... doesn't seem to want to)
Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-64 2.20 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600

I've "toned down" vista abit so it's not as "pretty" and has a more simplified look, but I'm still only getting FPS in World of Warcraft of about ~30 or so. I've used the Mobility Modifier to modify the ATI Radeon HD 2600 drivers to a mobility format, and installed them - only kicking up my FPS to about ~35 in WoW.

My setting sin WoW are fairly simple, Terrain Distance is low, Environment Detail, Texture Resolution, and Spell Detail are all maxed but the rest are turned to their lowest setting. I'm also running in Windowed Mode (maximized) and have Vertical Sync off.

Any ideas as to what I can do to kick up my FPS?

Downgrade to XP :D

ho0dzy

Memory 4.00 GB
Storage 300 GB
at which point I would be downgrading to 3 gb of recognized RAM instead of 4 =\

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W