• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung 931BF problem - help appreciated

Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard Asrock z77 Extreme4
Memory 8GB Corsair LP 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx570 + Evga gtx570 HD
Storage Corsair Force GT 120gb
Display(s) Samsung 931bw
Case Cooler Master Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair vx550
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Recently i purchased a 931bf. It arrived boxed and sealed appearing new but once i powered it on i could notice quite a few ( 10 or so ) black smudges which appeared to be on the front of the monitor. However after trying to remove them it was obvious they were on the 'inside' of the monitor. How did this happen if the product is new? Does samsung sell damaged/refurbished monitors to retailers who sell them as new models ?

Also is there any way to remove this , as it is quite annoying when playing games as in the middle of my crosshair is a big smudge :confused:

If it can be removed i cant be bothered returning the product waiting weeks to recieve another. What do you guys recommend doing oh and again is there anyway to clean the inner side of the ' front layer '.

Display(s) Samsung 931bw
Audio Device(s) Onboard
bump , really need some help ! :)

I would send it back.

refurbished monitors are only sold from retailers, not straight from Samsung. It's usually called an open box item too.

Display(s) Samsung 931bw
Audio Device(s) Onboard
The box didnt look tampered with though. looks brand new until its turned on. you sure samsung dont sell just say b-grade items to retailers who then sell them at a low price? cause this monitor was quite cheap compared to other sites selling the same one.

The box didnt look tampered with though. looks brand new until its turned on. you sure samsung dont sell just say b-grade items to retailers who then sell them at a low price? cause this monitor was quite cheap compared to other sites selling the same one.

Where do you get at? Some retailer, maybe all retailer sell resell items that have been sent back due to damage and or just not happy with the product. But if there damage they get sent back to the manufactor, then repair. And sent back to the retailer to be sold again. But if the retailer doesn't see any noticeable damage, they'll just turn around and sell it again. Which is called an open box item.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
The thing that happened is this.. Some person had that monitor, had something wrong with it, and returned it... The company that it was bought from then sent it to Samsung to have them fix it. Open box is a term that is used when one item has been sent back for ether not liking the product or a RMA... I'd say return it also because it was a thing they over looked.. They'll just send you a new one and be done.

Display(s) Samsung 931bw
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Anyone think of a way to just fix the problem ? is it possible to clean the inner side of the front of the monitor.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Anyone think of a way to just fix the problem ? is it possible to clean the inner side of the front of the monitor.

The only way to do that is to take it apart.. and even if you do, if you couldn't then RMA'ing would probably not be able to happen... It's just better to rma it, and get it over with.. IMPO

Display(s) Samsung 931bw
Audio Device(s) Onboard
OK I FOUND THE PROBLEM , looking closley on the monitors box the samsung product sticker says EDC at the end of the product code. With a bit of googling i found out this means its a B-grade item (or an item returned for whatever reason under 30 day moneyback ) yet where i purchased it from failed to say this. Every other site have made sure to point out that is is EDC. Could i requet a refund from the company without having to return the monitor to them due to false advertisement ? Also what is EDC an abreviation for.

Last edited:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
I don't know what EDC stands for, but I would call them up and talk to them about it.. It is False Advertisement for them to do that because of the fact they have to GIVE ALL the numbers and not just some... Just call, tell them whats going on, and if they say prove it.. take pictures and go from there.... And if they don't like it.. threaten and so forth.. They are suppose to give you everything that is said on that monitor...