• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Goodbye NVIDIA nForce?

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
the lesson that nvidia is learning is that in capitalism one canot afford to make too many enemies, and nvidia has plenty already firstly because of there outrageous prices and secondly because it is not shearing the sli technology. IMO it was a matter of time because AMD didnt have until now a crossfire solution as powerful as sli but with the 4800 that has changed. and intel was looking for a chance to get rid of nvidia and they gave it with the sli.
if nvidia dont release the sli license they wont be around for long and that is bad for everyone especially us the clients.i believe that intel has (for now) the best overall chipsets, the highest ocs are performed on intel chips.after all we wouldnt have to change mobos for CF or SLI wouldnt that be great and CHEAP.:toast:

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Nvidia would not commit suicide there are plently of nforce loyal users out there, and im one of them. Nfroce since the Nforce2 has been my platform of choice, always offered great features, decent price, and great overclocks. The intel chipsets from Nvidia don't suck, the 680i wasn't made for 45nm or quad support so the fact they are unstable at times and OC crappy with them shouldn't be a suprise, and the reports of the 780i and 790i are great, and lets not forget the older mainstay for AMD the Nforce 590SLI is still a great chipset.

robspierre6

sli

xfire scales pretty well in almost all games.theres no advantage for sli over xfire.the 3800 series cards from ati used the SFR "Split Frame Rendering" where each frame is divided in two and each half is sent to a different GPU to be processed. wich is used in the 8-9-200 series cards from nvidia.
now in the 4800 series ATI came up with SuperTiling: Under this mode the screen is divided into several small squared portions (or “tiles”), each one measuring 32x32 pixels, and each video card is in charge of handling part of the available tiles.With dynamic load balancing
technology implemented in the new cards,using to different cards in speed won't be a problem cuz the piles will be divided on the cards so that the faster card will get more piles to render than the slower one.
Amd claims a great advantge for this method over the "SFR" used in the prev. radeon series.
Actually the 4870 in xfire beats the 280gtx in sli in a lot of games.
you can check at techreport or anandtech the review of the 4870x2/4870cf.

Talking about nvidia's sli, i think only AMD can save nvidia now.If AMd comes up with a great processor,then nvidia can use its nforce a series with AMD's processors and it wont need to get the nehalem license.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
I think it would be bad for everyone (except intel) if Nvidia was pushed out of the chipset market (Yeah AMD to). Nvidia and ATi/MD might compete with there video cards but they both compete with Intel. When one of them loses ground that means intel has a bigger piece of the pie.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
^^ A serious question here: Who in their right mind goes out of their way to buy a foxxconn? I've seen them in some low quality OEM machines, but that's about it. And after reading the story about their BIOSes....

You mean the "broken linux" story? Umm yeah, it's been discovered it's AMI's fault, for not updating the tables.

And have you noticed the the innovative products they've been showcasing for the last few months? Chipsets with factory cooling that can convert between air, water, and even DICE. There are a few other things they've been doing as well, but I don't feel like looking them up right now. lol.

That is incredibly unlikely. Nvidia may not push chipsets like intel, but those chipsets also aren't cheap pieces of crap.

Neither are Intel's. In fact, in recent years the Intel chipsets handily outperform the NV ones. Intel does lack in the IGP arena tho.

Personally, I hope all the major manufacturers do stop making NV mobos. I want to be able to run multi-card setups on ANY chipset. I hate this having to choose between SLI and Crossfire.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
You mean the "broken linux" story? Umm yeah, it's been discovered it's AMI's fault, for not updating the tables.

And have you noticed the the innovative products they've been showcasing for the last few months? Chipsets with factory cooling that can convert between air, water, and even DICE. There are a few other things they've been doing as well, but I don't feel like looking them up right now. lol.

Neither are Intel's. In fact, in recent years the Intel chipsets handily outperform the NV ones. Intel does lack in the IGP arena tho.

Personally, I hope all the major manufacturers do stop making NV mobos. I want to be able to run multi-card setups on ANY chipset. I hate this having to choose between SLI and Crossfire.

They claim its AMIs bug and supposedly it affects some other boards as well. I don't know what to think about that. I think they're all half full of it.

I've seen their flashy boards, but I'm not dumb enough to shell out that kind of cash when it can be better spent. It kind of reminds me of ECS. They make some "high(er) end" boards or w/e but I'm really not stupid enough to buy one haha. Foxconn is going to have to work to convince this guy :)

And when it comes to intel, I'd like to keep my board problem free. There's always something that pisses me off with their stuff. I've been using nvidia since nforce2 and haven't ever had a problem. But I come across all kinds of intel boards that make me hate them more than the day before. For example (now these were POS dells), but a laptop and a desktop with the same intel usb controller fried two of my flash drives. How does that happen? I have no idea, but someone from intel would've got stabbed if they were there.
edit: And then another usb controller would randomly drop connection. If you plug the device into a different controller it would work or if you uninstalled and reinstalled it, otherwise, it'd say nothing at all was connected. A lot of problems could be due to manuf of the board, but when you have so many problems and ONLY on intel boards, you just have to wonder.

Last edited:
System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
I think it depends on the motherboard manufacturer and who the nforce chipset performs on thier nforce chipset based motherboard.

My motherboard can't overclock very well due to the vcore which is all over the place regardless of PSU.
Only way I have been able to OC the CPU is by raising the vcore higher than necessary.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
They claim its AMIs bug and supposedly it affects some other boards as well. I don't know what to think about that. I think they're all half full of it.

I've seen their flashy boards, but I'm not dumb enough to shell out that kind of cash when it can be better spent. It kind of reminds me of ECS. They make some "high(er) end" boards or w/e but I'm really not stupid enough to buy one haha. Foxconn is going to have to work to convince this guy :)

And when it comes to intel, I'd like to keep my board problem free. There's always something that pisses me off with their stuff. I've been using nvidia since nforce2 and haven't ever had a problem. But I come across all kinds of intel boards that make me hate them more than the day before. For example (now these were POS dells), but a laptop and a desktop with the same intel usb controller fried two of my flash drives. How does that happen? I have no idea, but someone from intel would've got stabbed if they were there.

Well, considering one of the famous (can't remember if it's Kingpin, Fugger, or what) overclockers is setting records on exclusively Foxconn boards, I'd say they came a long way.

And the only chipsets I've ever had problems with on an Intel platform is nVidia. I do like their AMD chipsets tho.

System Name 0BL1V10N
Processor Intel Core i7 11700K @ 5.1GHz all-core turbo
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Taichi
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360 (with stock CM fans), 12x Pccooler Moonlight Series ARGB 120mm fans
Memory (4x16GB) 64GB Mushkin Redline Lumina 3600MHz 16-19-19-39 XMP
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID 24G (not using stock fans) (+150MHz core, +1000MHz memory)
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB Gen4 NVMe
Display(s) 1x Alienware AW3821DW (3840x1600@144Hz), 2x Dell SE2717H (1080p@75Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719 Anthracite Grey
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Drop THX AAA 789 + Custom Planar Magnetic Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W (12VHPWR)
Mouse Logitech G502 X Plus
Keyboard Too many custom mechanical builds to list...
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Well, considering one of the famous (can't remember if it's Kingpin, Fugger, or what) overclockers is setting records on exclusively Foxconn boards, I'd say they came a long way.

I'd say so as my motherboard was one of the first which came out from Foxconn.
Reviews ave also said it's not a fantastic overclocker but decided to see for myself.
Otherwise it is rocksolid at stock speeds and I didnt need to reinstall windows for this motherboard.

I just replaced my ABIT VIA chipset AGP motherboard with this one, forgot to set the boot priority to CD and windows popped up.
Removed the VIA chipset drivers, installed the nVidia chipset drivers and away it went flawless.

To check if there was any performance decrease I installed a fresh copy of windows on to my second HDD and found no difference in desktop loading speed or gaming performance.

powerwolf

So I can run my soon to be released 65nm Kuma in my soon to be released nForce 880a board? Cool!
Poor PR people. Why are they always the last to know?

Reports of NVIDIA abandoning the chipset market are completely untrue - "at this point in time". That is to say, they still have a lot of inventory to clear.;)

HAL7000

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz
Motherboard ECS KA3 MVP
Cooling stock
Memory Mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Video Card(s) X1900GT
Storage SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2004C 200GB
Display(s) Acer AL2051W 20" 8ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Case IN WIN IW-F430.RL Red
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy gamers edition
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad - Copper
Software XP Pro w/SP3
Well it wouldn't hurt my feeling if they jumped out of the chipset business. NV has gotten very brazen over time, if anything it is a wake up call to maintain better working relationships between all competitors. We need them all to keep things level. Intel, AMD and the once great VIA all better hope that NV stays in the dance. The battle of supremacy is a better fought by many competitors price wise,,,, for us the consumer.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
^^ A serious question here: Who in their right mind goes out of their way to buy a foxxconn? I've seen them in some low quality OEM machines, but that's about it. And after reading the story about their BIOSes....

thats who foxconn is, thats there stock chipset cooler to

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196206

don't post things in here that insult a manuf unless you know the facts about them

edit: And then another usb controller would randomly drop connection. If you plug the device into a different controller it would work or if you uninstalled and reinstalled it, otherwise, it'd say nothing at all was connected. A lot of problems could be due to manuf of the board, but when you have so many problems and ONLY on intel boards, you just have to wonder.

you find an ECS that will push a QX9650 to 5.8ghz and post it here for me and i will admit foxconn is no better than ECS

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk

thats who foxconn is, thats there stock chipset cooler to

[url]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196206[/url]

don't post things in here that insult a manuf unless you know the facts about them

you find an ECS that will push a QX9650 to 5.8ghz and post it here for me and i will admit foxconn is no better than ECS[/QUOTE]

and..... I bet I can go get about 10 other boards that can do the same thing. 1 or 2 models that are "uber leet" still doesn't impress me. All of their mainstream stuff looks pretty lackluster to me.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
all the above proves is something ive been saying for ages, your name is made in the middle and not at the top

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
all the above proves is something ive been saying for ages, your name is made in the middle and not at the top

*whaaa whaaaa whaaaa* someone doesn't agree with me or like shitty MBs, so I call them a retard *whaaaaa*

Whoopdeegoddamndoo. So, let me guess, you like vista/M$, intel, foxconn and some other asshole manufacturers. Good, I don't give a shit and have plenty of grounds to hate or dislike them. Exceptions to the rule doesn't sway my judgement of a product or company.

Oh, and I know I'm an asshole and I don't really care. All of my positions are always against the grain.

Last edited:
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
*whaaa whaaaa whaaaa* someone doesn't agree with me or like shitty MBs, so I call them a retard *whaaaaa*

Whoopdeegoddamndoo. So, let me guess, you like vista/M$, intel, foxconn and some other asshole manufacturers. Good, I don't give a shit and have plenty of grounds to hate or dislike them. Exceptions to the rule doesn't sway my judgement of a product or company.

Oh, and I know I'm an asshole and I don't really care. All of my positions are always against the grain.

I actually was agreeing with you. Or maybe thats ur twisted way of saying thanks for support, or kinship due to a common thought. Either way im good.

ps: i hate brand whores

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
I actually was agreeing with you. Or maybe thats ur twisted way of saying thanks for support, or kinship due to a common thought. Either way im good.

ps: i hate brand whores

Well, it looks you're calling me a retard, which is cool b/c I do it a lot. It's still morning here, so I'm probably extra pissy.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I think a few points have been missed here. First of all, several large motherboard manufacturers have cancelled all their Nvidia designs, not just 790i, but I'm sure we'll hear about this soon enough.

Nvidia will still launch the MCP7A, but the question is what the company will do after that. It will sell the nForce 200 as a compliment for the X58 chipset to allow for SLi on an Intel platform, but again, most motherboard manufacturers are unlikely to add this chip to an already expensive motherboard. Besides, it adds a lot of extra heat and requires extra cooling which adds even more cost.

Besides, with no QPI license, lack of support from motherboard manufacturers etc. it's only a matter of time before they call it quits.

Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
CDAwall

What is that thing which looks like a mouldy toilet roll next to the blue LED fan?

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
and..... I bet I can go get about 10 other boards that can do the same thing. 1 or 2 models that are "uber leet" still doesn't impress me. All of their mainstream stuff looks pretty lackluster to me.

thats so wrong when people look at things 9 times out of 10 they check the best of the best and then look at that companies mid range and look up the foxconn P35-a midrange and good mobo. the A7GM-S 780G and offers support for 125w chips something only top end boards support yet its $66. want some more X38A, P9657AA-8KS2H and the 975X7AB-8EKRS2H and those are just the intel LGA775 boards sold on newegg. you obviously don't know who foxconn is which is fine but insult a product you dont know anything about is just points out your ignorance.

oh and i'm loving the anit-vidsta comment cause that just proves you can't try anything new. don't like MS? thats fine get a mac wait no foxconn makes there stuff

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
I do have to admit the latest BIOS for my Foxconn motherboard was pretty dodgy.
Not with performance but with installation.

It had a random and pointless password on the .bin file.
The BIOS would not install as it had the wrong AWDFLASH file included.
I had to install it manually for it to work.
Instructions were misleading.
Forum support is terrible because of the layout and the fact I and most others would get http400 error instead of being able to connect with the forum.

Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
thats so wrong when people look at things 9 times out of 10 they check the best of the best and then look at that companies mid range and look up the foxconn P35-a midrange and good mobo. the A7GM-S 780G and offers support for 125w chips something only top end boards support yet its $66. want some more X38A, P9657AA-8KS2H and the 975X7AB-8EKRS2H and those are just the intel LGA775 boards sold on newegg. you obviously don't know who foxconn is which is fine but insult a product you dont know anything about is just points out your ignorance.

oh and i'm loving the anit-vidsta comment cause that just proves you can't try anything new. don't like MS? thats fine get a mac wait no foxconn makes there stuff

Yeah, I've used vista plenty, nice try. Why would I buy a mac, I'm not retarded (leo4all) and that's all the more reason I wouldn't if they make the boards haha.

wooo, 125w, if your board can't handle that, it's crap through and through (whether it supports it or not).

and not that newegg is reliable, but it seems quite a few people don't think those are awesome boards.