• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Details Larrabee

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Intel Corporation is presenting a paper at the SIGGRAPH 2008 industry conference in Los Angeles on Aug. 12 that describes features and capabilities of its first-ever forthcoming "many-core" blueprint or architecture codenamed "Larrabee." Details unveiled in the SIGGRAPH paper include a new approach to the software rendering 3-D pipeline, a many-core (many processor engines in a product) programming model and performance analysis for several applications.

The first product based on Larrabee will target the personal computer graphics market and is expected in 2009 or 2010. Larrabee will be the industry's first many-core x86 Intel architecture, meaning it will be based on an array of many processors. The individual processors are similar to the Intel processors that power the Internet and the laptops, PCs and servers that access and network to it.

Larrabee is expected to kick start an industry-wide effort to create and optimize software for the dozens, hundreds and thousands of cores expected to power future computers. Intel has a number of internal teams, projects and software-related efforts underway to speed the transition, but the tera-scale research program has been the single largest investment in Intel's technology research and has partnered with more than 400 universities, DARPA and companies such as Microsoft and HP to move the industry in this direction.

Over time, the consistency of Intel architecture and thus developer freedom afforded by the Larrabee architecture will bring about massive innovation in many areas and market segments. For example, while current games keep getting more and more realistic, they do so within a rigid and limited framework. Working directly with some of the world's top 3-D graphics experts, Larrabee will give developers of games and APIs (Application Programming Interface) a blank canvas onto which they can innovate like never before.

Initial product implementations of the Larrabee architecture will target discrete graphics applications, support DirectX and OpenGL, and run existing games and programs. Additionally, a broad potential range of highly parallel applications including scientific and engineering software will benefit from the Larrabee native C/C++ programming model.

Additional details of the Larrabee architecture discussed in this paper include:
  • The Larrabee architecture has a pipeline derived from the dual-issue Intel Pentium processor, which uses a short execution pipeline with a fully coherent cache structure. The Larrabee architecture provides significant modern enhancements such as a wide vector processing unit (VPU), multi-threading, 64-bit extensions and sophisticated pre-fetching. This will enable a massive increase in available computational power combined with the familiarity and ease of programming of the Intel architecture.
  • Larrabee also includes a select few fixed function logic blocks to support graphics and other applications. These units are carefully chosen to balance strong performance per watt, yet contribute to the flexibility and programmability of the architecture.
  • A coherent on-die 2nd level cache allows efficient inter-processor communication and high-bandwidth local data to be access by CPU cores, making the writing of software programs simpler.
  • The Larrabee native programming model supports a variety of highly parallel applications, including those that use irregular data structures. This enables development of graphics APIs, rapid innovation of new graphics algorithms, and true general purpose computation on the graphics processor with established PC software development tools.
  • Larrabee features task scheduling which is performed entirely with software, rather than in fixed function logic. Therefore rendering pipelines and other complex software systems can adjust their resource scheduling based each workload's unique computing demand.
  • The Larrabee architecture supports four execution threads per core with separate register sets per thread. This allows the use of a simple efficient in-order pipeline, but retains many of the latency-hiding benefits of more complex out-of-order pipelines when running highly parallel applications.
  • The Larrabee architecture uses a 1024 bits-wide, bi-directional ring network (i.e., 512 bits in each direction) to allow agents to communicate with each other in low latency manner resulting in super fast communication between cores.
  • The Larrabee architecture fully supports IEEE standards for single and double precision floating-point arithmetic. Support for these standards is a pre-requisite for many types of tasks including financial applications.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
See, now THIS is news.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Crap I WANT one :eek:

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Even if Larabee isn't some ass whipping monster, just the concept is sorely needed.

Three things to make games better:

Open source style development or 'blank slate.'
Physics
Real time ray shading

Intel is working on one, Nvidia on the other, ATi on the last.

Problem for Nvidia and ATi, is that they won't have any monopolies on their technology. We already saw Nvidia offer up Physx to ATi.

It's like Intel is gearing up to take over the bloody world. And in ways, I'd quite like that. People worry about monopolies causing price gouging. Though look at the prices from Intel chips in the last couple of years. AMD has not been a contender at all, yet Intel has a plethora of chips for every type of consumer, and at some seriously awesome prices; even when they are brand new. If AMD were to perish, or Nvidia/Ati for that matter, Intel wouldn't even need to gouge.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
It is a nice concept coming from intel though. Maybe game developers should stop focusing on graphics and make good games now since they seem to be lacking in that these days.

chron

Larrabee is expected to kick start an industry-wide effort to create and optimize software for the dozens, hundreds and thousands of cores expected to power future computers.

thousands of cores? Meaning multiple computers or actual stand-alone computers using thousands of cores? If that's the case, then this is pretty much a plan for the next 20 - 25 years or so I would think...

Megasty

Processor i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz (4.0 when gaming)
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme - Yeah I Bought It...
Cooling Swiftech.
Memory 12 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer - I Love Red
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH4870X2 - That Fan Is...!?
Storage 4 WD 1.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Sceptre
Case TT Xaser VI - Fugly, Red, & Huge...
Audio Device(s) The ASUS Thingy
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit
Even if this sucks as a GPU, it'll make one helluva CPU - DO WANT NOW :D

This thing may also make workstation cards completely obsolete too.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
I wonder about the possibilities....

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Even if this sucks as a GPU, it'll make one helluva CPU - DO WANT NOW :D

This thing may also make workstation cards completely obsolete too.

Naw, that's why they're using old 486-cores or whatever for the basis of it -- the instructions are going to be very simple, wouldn't function as a good CPU. But with number crunching, it'll probably be great.

I'd love to be able to leave the CPU socket free of anything.... :p

Slot 1 redux anyone?

Naw, that's why they're using old 486-cores or whatever for the basis of it -- the instructions are going to be very simple, wouldn't function as a good CPU. But with number crunching, it'll probably be great.

Number crunching = CPU power. The fact that they are choosing such efficient cores makes the GPU very powerful when you have that many of them. Main thing is the GPU would be able to support what, DX12, 13, 14 ,15 whatever, because of its design.

I'd see Intel eventually offer chipsets which could probably use the larabee as the CPU.

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I'd love to be able to leave the CPU socket free of anything.... :p

Slot 1 redux anyone?

Number crunching = CPU power. The fact that they are choosing such efficient cores makes the GPU very powerful when you have that many of them. Main thing is the GPU would be able to support what, DX12, 13, 14 ,15 whatever, because of its design.

I'd see Intel eventually offer chipsets which could probably use the larabee as the CPU.

Kind of along these lines.... There was a mobo manuf. (help plz) that made a pci-e card (for their intel MB, pentium 4 days I believe) that you could slap in an AMD CPU. It functioned efficiently as long as you didn't need a lot of bandwidth (obviously). So, it defintely works in the real world to have a CPU plugged into pci-e.

Dear G-d...Folding@Home speedfreaks will sell their soul for one of these when they're supported by the app...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Kind of along these lines.... There was a mobo manuf. (help plz) that made a pci-e card (for their intel MB, pentium 4 days I believe) that you could slap in an AMD CPU. It functioned efficiently as long as you didn't need a lot of bandwidth (obviously). So, it defintely works in the real world to have a CPU plugged into pci-e.

asrock did it, and the slot was actually AGP sized/shaped. they have several motherboards utilising it, the problem with it was that ram had to be on the same card and you were very limited with cooler size/weight.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
I wonder if you can have more than one like sli without the bridge.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
I wonder if you can have more than one like sli without the bridge.

BTW x55 will not have SLI due to NVIDIA being pissed off at Intel for some reason.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
BTW x55 will not have SLI due to NVIDIA being pissed off at Intel for some reason.

Well, I'd say this a good reason. They screw up, yet dominate the integrated market and now are trying for midrange (I guess) with this thing.

X1REME

Even if Larabee isn't some ass whipping monster, just the concept is sorely needed.

Three things to make games better:

Open source style development or 'blank slate.'
Physics
Real time ray shading

Intel is working on one, Nvidia on the other, ATi on the last.

Problem for Nvidia and ATi, is that they won't have any monopolies on their technology. We already saw Nvidia offer up Physx to ATi.

It's like Intel is gearing up to take over the bloody world. And in ways, I'd quite like that. People worry about monopolies causing price gouging. Though look at the prices from Intel chips in the last couple of years. AMD has not been a contender at all, yet Intel has a plethora of chips for every type of consumer, and at some seriously awesome prices; even when they are brand new. If AMD were to perish, or Nvidia/Ati for that matter, Intel wouldn't even need to gouge.

are you kidding me, by saying AMD was not the one driving Intel prices down even though they cannot match the performance. surely they are matching the price which is why Intel in the last month or so lost market to amd and then suddenly dropped the q6600 quad to almost have price. can i ask why.. please talk reality:laugh:

powerwolf

Everything old is new again.

How tight are Intel's patents on this design? Could AMD do something similiar with old K6 cores or likewise NVIDIA with VIA's Cyrix tech? Hey, maybe Matrox will come out of left field with a Sun-Montalvo version!:eek:

Encouraging developers to by-pass DirectX is a bold move. How does Microsoft feel about that? In fact, with x86 instruction sets diverging (SSE5/AVX), Intel might prefer game programmers junk the OS altogether and write directly to hardware, just like the good ol' days!

It looks like proprietary systems are returning with the same manufacturer supplying CPU,GPU and chipset. While hope remains software companies will support multiple platforms, history has not been so kind. The future might make TWIMTBP seem innocuous by comparison.

So, no Dues Ex 4 for gazillion 68060 core Amigas then. Damn, I speeeel my dreeenk!

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64

Nah I mean the larrabee cards bud do ya reckon you could have 2 of them on say an x55 chip

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
How tight are Intel's patents on this design? Could AMD do something similiar with old K6 cores or likewise NVIDIA with VIA's Cyrix tech? Hey, maybe Matrox will come out of left field with a Sun-Montalvo version!:eek:

AMD can do it with K8. Think of their low power cpu coming out (I mean that in efficiency, intel can't match that). Slap 4 octal-core CPUs on the card?

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I want to see what a multiCPU can do as a GPU...considering ATI/AMD and NV use streaming "processors" and are extremely powerful in their areas..Intel better have a lotta cores to compete with what is already there. It's definately cool to see, but how large is that GPU die going to be? How large is the PCB? What kind of power requirements for so many "modded pentiums" loaded onto that PCB? Questions I look forward to having answered in the future...maybe this'll be one of the first tripple slot cooled, PCI-E 3.0 cards? Maybe?

I'm definately interested in seeing this unfold, Intel has plenty of R&D, plus they know what's out there...so I'm sure it won't dissapoint for it's price range..depending on what their goal is.

:toast:

asrock did it, and the slot was actually AGP sized/shaped. they have several motherboards utilising it, the problem with it was that ram had to be on the same card and you were very limited with cooler size/weight.

Well if only they had HDT back then...

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
just another CPU to force user to change all hardware... 2% will do but the rest will be happy with the older ; another excuse to empty people's wallet greedy manufacturers...

I want to see what a multiCPU can do as a GPU...considering ATI/AMD and NV use streaming "processors" and are extremely powerful in their areas..Intel better have a lotta cores to compete with what is already there. It's definately cool to see, but how large is that GPU die going to be? How large is the PCB? What kind of power requirements for so many "modded pentiums" loaded onto that PCB? Questions I look forward to having answered in the future...maybe this'll be one of the first tripple slot cooled, PCI-E 3.0 cards? Maybe?

I'm definately interested in seeing this unfold, Intel has plenty of R&D, plus they know what's out there...so I'm sure it won't dissapoint for it's price range..depending on what their goal is.

:toast:
Seconded
just another CPU to force user to change all hardware... 2% will do but the rest will be happy with the older ; another excuse to empty people's wallet greedy manufacturers...
Isn't that what MFGs are for? Or at least thats what they think they are for.

Conceptually I'd love to have it in a work horse machine but I guess we'll have to see on the graphics end.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
are you kidding me, by saying AMD was not the one driving Intel prices down even though they cannot match the performance. surely they are matching the price which is why Intel in the last month or so lost market to amd and then suddenly dropped the q6600 quad to almost have price. can i ask why.. please talk reality:laugh:

No, I'm not kidding.

"Cut throat" has not been the atmosphere of the CPU market in the last two years; at least not for Intel.

I don't see the price drop in the Q6600 having anything to do with AMD whatsoever. That chip has been cheap since day one, like all the other chips in the Core 2 lineup. That's the point. Your only exceptions were 'extreme''/high end processors and naturally that's expected -if nothing else just to milk out some extra money.

My point was that there's been no need for wild pricing or tooth and nail competition, because Intel has completely stumped AMD, and if Nehalem takes off, it will all but force AMD into an extremely small market niche. Thus, it's another variable to the equation of Intel 'taking over the world.'