• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PhysX Makes it to MMOG with APB

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Often underappreciated by those who only casually play games, fast and accurate physical models and calculations are a key to a game's playability and realism. From the effect of explosions on nearby objects, to the impacts of car accidents, to how a character reacts when hit, physics is as important to realism as high-quality graphics. Because of this, Realtime Worlds' upcoming massively multiplayer online game, APB, will take advantage of NVIDIA GeForce GPUs and PhysX technology to enhance the game's free-form combat and real-time driving environments.

APB will bring players into a living, breathing city where cash is king and territory equals respect. Scheduled for release in 2009, APB is one of many titles to take advantage of NVIDIA PhysX technology, the world's most pervasive development platform for physics acceleration in interactive entertainment.

"Realtime Worlds, by our very name, defines what games we aim to create," said Dave Jones, the CEO of Realtime Worlds. "APB is a vastly ambitious project, combining the key elements of action gameplay in a living, breathing world with millions of players around the globe. In order to fully realise the vision of APB, it was essential to include next-generation physics in our game world. This is why we choose to standardize our development on GeForce GPUs and NVIDIA PhysX technology, the combination of which has given our developers the power and freedom to deliver the first action and physics based combat gameplay into the massively multiplayer online space."

NVIDIA PhysX technology consists of a robust physics engine, API, and middleware platform that give developers the ability to add additional levels of realism into their games across all major gaming platforms, including Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and the PC. PhysX technology can run on either the CPU or any CUDA general-purpose parallel computing processor, including many current and all future NVIDIA GeForce GPUs. But the massively parallel architecture in GeForce GPUs can handle 10 to 20 times more visual complexity than what's possible today on a CPU alone and can leverage the best of both GPU and CPU architectures to deliver the ultimate experience to the user. More importantly, PhysX supports hardware scaling with the GeForce GPUs to deliver much faster performance and richer environments on multi-GPU gaming platforms.

"We are very excited that Realtime Worlds is incorporating PhysX technology into APB," said Roy Taylor, NVIDIA vice president of content relations. "APB is a marvel in free form story innovation and promises to bring an entirely new approach to multiplayer online gaming. We can hardly wait to play!"

NVIDIA PhysX technology is already included in more than 140 shipping titles for Sony Playstation 3, Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and the PC. For more information on NVIDIA PhysX technology, please visit the PhysX page.

About APB
APB is an action-based, massively multiplayer online title being developed by Realtime Worlds (creators of the award-winning Xbox 360 title Crackdown). The game utilizes cutting-edge technology (Unreal Engine3) in order to bring the polish of next-generation art and gameplay into the massively multiplayer online space. For more information on APB, please visit APB.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
i see a great physics works in battle filed bad company in xbox 360

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
gah, i just wanna know wtf APB stands for damn it

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yea me to. So far PhysX has been nothing but hype and i dont exactly think its that great right now.

Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
I hated Havok, and I'm not big on the idea of PhysX, or any other current physics engine used in games for that matter. I'm all for having realistic physics, but I don't think that's what these engines offer. All I really see from these engines is rag-dolls and attempts at movie-like physics . . . not life-like physics.

hmm, that's a weird name. Any explanation for it, do you know?

Thank you for doing what I was too lazy to do :)

Hmm, seems like the game may be interesting then based on that.

I hated Havok, and I'm not big on the idea of PhysX, or any other current physics engine used in games for that matter. I'm all for having realistic physics, but I don't think that's what these engines offer. All I really see from these engines is rag-dolls and attempts at movie-like physics . . . not life-like physics.

um... example? I don't see people in games that have a physics engine fly backwards when shot... i only see people just drop on the floor.

Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus p5w DH Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Andy Samurai, 4x80mm silenx, 2x120mm silenx fans
Memory 2x2gb G.Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) xfx black edition 6870
Storage 250gb seagate sata, 2x250gb seagate perp (raid0)
Display(s) dell 24"
Case Coolermaster atc s4000 sx-1
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy2 Platinum
Power Supply Antec True Power Trio 650w
Software winXP pro x64
um... example? I don't see people in games that have a physics engine fly backwards when shot... i only see people just drop on the floor.

I think that's what usually happens when people get shot...not the crazy kickback silliness we see in 80's Ahnold action movies

chron

I think that's what usually happens when people get shot...not the crazy kickback silliness we see in 80's Ahnold action movies

Wrong. Just the other day I smashed into a room where my daughter and wife were being held captive, and after pumped one shot into the capture's chest, his body flew through a brick wall and exploded. It happens.

Well, for one, most bodies with the Havok engine definitely just act like rag dolls and that looks really weird to me in some games. And as far as the movie-like physics, one of the devs for Force Unleashed even stated they were going for that and not life-like physics.

edit: I may have been exaggerating about movie-like physics, but the physics in games are far from life-like if you ask me. All most of the devs care about is making physics that can be done fast. To be back me up, from wikipedia (ragdoll physics):

"The term ragdoll comes from the problem that the articulated systems, due to the limits of the solvers used, tend to have little or zero joint/skeletal muscle stiffness, leading to a character collapsing much like a toy rag doll, often into comically improbable or compromising positions."

" * Extremity bones such as fingers often go unsimulated.
* Simple joints are used instead of actual constraints imposed by a true skeleton. (For example, human knee joints are often modelled as a rigid hinge even though an actual human knee allows some rotation.)
* Simplified collision hulls are used to detect contact with other rigid bodies rather than detecting collision with the mesh."

From wikipedia (physics engine):
"The primary limit of physics engine realism is the precision of the numbers representing the position of an object and the forces acting on that object. When the precision is too low, errors can creep into the calculations due to rounding, causing an object to overshoot or undershoot the correct position. These errors are compounded in situations where two free-moving objects are fitted together with a precision that is greater than what the physics engine can calculate. This can lead to an unnatural buildup energy in the object due to the rounding errors, that begins to violently shake and eventually blow the objects apart. Any type of free-moving compound physics object can demonstrate this problem, but it is especially prone to affecting chain links under high tension, and wheeled objects with actively physical bearing surfaces. Higher precision reduces the positional/force errors, but at the cost of greater CPU power needed for the calculations."

Now before anybody tells me about how much processing power would be necessary to fix those sort of problems . . . isn't that the whole point of having a dedicated physic processor? :confused:

Last edited:

vbigjames

:banghead: I was hoping they would have the physics system from GTA, but at least they brought Physics into the game.

I have been following it for a long time over at www.apb-evolved.com seems like the only good APB forums.

At least they are trying to get some kind of physics into games. I won't get into the arguement of who has better physics but at least some developers are dabling in it. I'm sure it will suk at first but we'll eventually see a standard developed. Similar to all the Ray-tracing competitions.